Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
I have read these forums nearly every day for the past 14 years. Captain Rufus is the first person I've added to my ignore list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Never ignore anyone and Rufus is cute. Peeps that get triggered from their forums experience should look at Facebook or other social media and reflect how inconsequential his rants are.

We could've had a great discussion about ljn games and my love for jaws but you all too blinded to shift discussion. :(

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

flyboi posted:

Never ignore anyone and Rufus is cute. Peeps that get triggered from their forums experience should look at Facebook or other social media and reflect how inconsequential his rants are.

We could've had a great discussion about ljn games and my love for jaws but you all too blinded to shift discussion. :(

Rufus is a crazy-eyed zealot, but maybe every thread needs one, even if it involves him flinging dung around sometimes.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Fleedar posted:

I have read these forums nearly every day for the past 14 years. Captain Rufus is the first person I've added to my ignore list.

If I had Captain Rufus on ignore I might have missed out on the only example of N-gage fanboyism in existence and that would be a tragedy

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

putting someone on ignore and announcing it to the thread is dumb but I'm not sure it's a good thing that a mentally ill 40+ year old man periodically posts bizarre rants in the thread, and I think it would be better if that didn't happen

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I went to a couple Buy Back Games today and woof. They were absolutely dire. Not much of anything and what they did have was overpriced. I have no idea how there are so many of them and also how they stay in business.

gently caress the Bubble.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
So since we had a Genesis post about the HD Retrovision cable, I figure it would be best to post about the SNES version.

It works well with my Samsung LN40 and it registers it as 240p over component without sweating a beat. Before I received the cable, I took a photo of what it looked like when it was connected via composite:

And now with component:

Massive improvement.

Two flaws noticed so far:

Definitely still bleeds but that is expected being that this is just straight from the console to the TV over component (after conversion) without scaling.

This weird artifact in the background could be the result of the image processing on the SNES. It's really more pronounced in the prior screenshot but it's there.

Overall I am happy and it does keep me from wanting to buy a $300 Framemeister.

Some bonus shots:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Is that a 1CHIP SNES?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Holy dicks that video quality is nice

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Instant Sunrise posted:

Is that a 1CHIP SNES?

How do I tell?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Open it up and look at what the motherboard version number is.

I ask because the 1CHIP models don't have a slight horizontal blur that gets applied to the image like the regular models do, so the video output in a modern TV looks much sharper.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Instant Sunrise posted:

Open it up and look at what the motherboard version number is.

I ask because the 1CHIP models don't have a slight horizontal blur that gets applied to the image like the regular models do, so the video output in a modern TV looks much sharper.

I will try and take a look in a few evenings.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!

OSI bean dip posted:

Overall I am happy and it does keep me from wanting to buy a $300 Framemeister.

No it doesn't ;)

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

flyboi posted:

Dawww! Honestly I still don't know why people both take me so seriously, take opinions on games that anyone makes that seriously, or why it always devolves into insults as opposed to actual discussion. That's some Sean Hannity poo poo. I'm cool with different opinions. Its fun discussing this silly poo poo. My ranting is 2/3rds comedic effect and overreaction because its amusing to me. Plus its VIDEO GAMES. It ain't important. Its just stuff. Usually fun even if the fun in NES X Men case is coming up with new ways of expressing my hatred for the game. Feels good to vent about doofy things. Not like its politics or religion or any of that. (Though some folks treat their games and platforms and publishers of choice like a religion. IDGI.)

Anyhow I did a thing while I was reorganizing my NES collection and doing a Dragon Quest collection thing (latter in the DQ thread, bottom of a page). I took pictures!

Most of my totally loose cartridges. Some light gun fun, some of my collection themes (helicopters, Godzilla, computer games gone console, JAWS) and some actually good games in the mix. I like to keep price stickers on as a reminder how much I paid for these silly things. And in cases like Friday the 13th seeing the rental store sticker and what looks like all the effort some kid probably put into making the entire cartridge case black with permanent marker gives it charm! (Also leaving pricetags on makes Dos mad. Which also amuses me in a childish way.)

The rest of the loose cartridges, ones in a case with their maps and manuals, the Famicom version of Ultima 4 for my Ultima collection just like 3 (aka Exodus) there, the manual to the third TMNT game in spite of me having no idea what I did with the actual game, and titles for various collection themes like Batman and 2d Castlevanias.

My four boxed games from back then and my controller of choice, the godly NES ADVANTAGE that helped and still helps me complete many a game. And sometimes without abusing Turbo and Slow Motion features! My one remaining NES pad I never really liked is there for the odd 2 player time, the Arkanoid Vaus controller so I can play Arkanoid right, and the original launch era Zapper for CRT shooty bang bang.

Cluebooks and tip guides! Always helpful in the pre Gamefaqs day! The Official Nintendo Player's Guide was practically a must own for any NES player in the early days. The Ultima 3 clue book is lovely and well suited for most versions of the game (and like a tenth of the price of the original Origin one that is both rare and has all it's maps done in black and white ASCII text. Seriously.), and the Gamepro book is mostly NES titles and sometimes good in house art. There is an excellent Phantasy Star 1 cast painting in there. It isn't actually covered in the book but.. I appreciate it!

The New Games section is more or less previews of recent titles but the rest of it is full of cheats, passwords, and various bits of help to get you through the games covered. For those who are counting the vast majority of the book is NES so that is why it is here.

But there was a reason a one dollar (REALLY) 40 page black and white comic book was shown. The last few pages are a guide and some maps to Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode! Which is quite helpful, and even moreso back then. You get a 33 page comic of Manga's most famous assassin killing some dude with an M16 from like a mile away, and a walkthrough of the game I presume this comic was released as kind of a tie in for.

As to what games I want but haven't gotten yet that as far as I know haven't reached FULL RETARD price yet? Top 5 would include Wizardry 1 and 2, Destiny of an Emperor, Ghengis Khan, Journey to Silius, and Pro Wrestling. Collecting theme goal wise I need AD&D Dragonstrike, Batman Return of the Joker, Silkworm, a bunch of computer game ports (Rocket Ranger, Platoon, Cybernoid f'rex), and whatever other games have you playing in a helicopter. (Honorable normal game mentions include Double Dragon 2, Pro Wrestling, Baseball Stars 2)

Also there are like FIVE different Jaws games. I kinda want them all. The Commodore 64/Amiga one (or possibly two), the 3ds or Wii Ultimate Predator game which is supposed to be even more butt than Jaws Unleashed is. As seen I have NES Jaws based on a very bad movie I actually saw in theaters with my parents. My only Jaws in the theater and its loving JAWS THE REVENGE. :argh: I believe in living every week like it is Shark Week and thus I need shark games even if they are bad. I just won't pay a lot for them. (Also Depth on Steam is a GOOD shark game. It is an actually scary assymetrical PvP game: )

Edit: Heck, while I am cut and pastinating might as well show most of my retrogame pickups over the last 4-5 months or so. Buy 2 at 8 bucks get a third of that price or less free is handy when you are cheap and enjoy the odd bit of mediocrity in your old games!

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 21, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Captain Rufus posted:

Also leaving pricetags on makes Dos mad. Which also amuses me in a childish way.)

uhh you're probably thinking of somebody else because I don't care about what your video games look like and I always buy the shittiest looking carts myself, but way to keep acting like a herb

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I'm gonna leave the $3 and $5 Gamestop stickers on my Shantae and Ninja Five-O carts forever.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Got my CustomGameCases.com order last week, a dozen N64 and one GB to try out. The GB case is quite similar to a DS case, but obviously fitted for a gameboy cart inside. Cart fits snugly, clips for the manual inside.

The N64 cases seem to be the exact material of VHS rental cases, which I'm sure everyone here is quite familiar with. Cart doesn't quite snap in like the gameboy version, just kind of rests in the mold, but the case does snap closed securely and cart doesn't rattle or anything while closed. One thing that would have been a dealbreaker had I caught it beforehand is that the N64 cases don't have clips for the manual. Their cases for other systems do have them, but checking the sample pictures more carefully, what I assumed were the clips on these were shadows from the fasteners. :doh: The manual does fit into the lid part you just have to be careful closing it back up.

That was the only disappointment. They're nice plastic boxes for other plastic boxes for your shelf. The cover prints are done well enough. I can take some detailed pics if anyone is interested.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Discount Viscount posted:

I'm gonna leave the $3 and $5 Gamestop stickers on my Shantae and Ninja Five-O carts forever.

My Little Samson cart still has "Property of Video Club" on the back and a faded yellow sticker on the cover they used as a cataloging number and gently caress if I'm getting rid of it. It's the last memories of a seedy rental store where I could walk from the NES aisle to the "adult cartoon" shelf and find Fritz the Cat and Wicked City luring me in.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

My copy of Shatterhand is an old rental copy, so it's got the gutted out box in the proprietary case, as well as a little info sheet on the inside and a giant sticker barcode on the front of the cartridge. It was way too charming to remove.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The Milkman posted:

Got my CustomGameCases.com order last week, a dozen N64 and one GB to try out. The GB case is quite similar to a DS case, but obviously fitted for a gameboy cart inside. Cart fits snugly, clips for the manual inside.

The N64 cases seem to be the exact material of VHS rental cases, which I'm sure everyone here is quite familiar with. Cart doesn't quite snap in like the gameboy version, just kind of rests in the mold, but the case does snap closed securely and cart doesn't rattle or anything while closed. One thing that would have been a dealbreaker had I caught it beforehand is that the N64 cases don't have clips for the manual. Their cases for other systems do have them, but checking the sample pictures more carefully, what I assumed were the clips on these were shadows from the fasteners. :doh: The manual does fit into the lid part you just have to be careful closing it back up.

That was the only disappointment. They're nice plastic boxes for other plastic boxes for your shelf. The cover prints are done well enough. I can take some detailed pics if anyone is interested.

I bought a bunch of the GB ones, but now that I have both gb and gba everdrives I'm thinking I don't need them. Cases take up a lot of room. Great if you have the room, though.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Captain Rufus posted:

(Also leaving pricetags on makes Dos mad. Which also amuses me in a childish way.)

Only one thing makes dos mad, and that's a failure to accord old shooters proper respect. I'll demonstrate.

Man, Gekirindan is awful! It's just as bad as Double Wings or Air Gallet! Why would anyone play this beyond the usual credit-feeding just to see the ending?

quote:

Gamepro book is mostly NES titles and sometimes good in house art. There is an excellent Phantasy Star 1 cast painting in there. It isn't actually covered in the book but.. I appreciate it!

That's sorta interesting. Is the Phantasy Star artwork the usual Francis Mao illustration (he drew a lot of GamePro stuff from 1990 onwards) or something different?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Kid Fenris posted:

Only one thing makes dos mad, and that's a failure to accord old shooters proper respect. I'll demonstrate.

Man, Gekirindan is awful! It's just as bad as Double Wings or Air Gallet! Why would anyone play this beyond the usual credit-feeding just to see the ending?

Oh. I like this game. Let me go too.

*clears throat*

Why even play a shooter where the screen isn't always bullets? gently caress all that trash give me only Touhou 24/7 all day every day. Also only play on easy and use continues like candy.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

this is like trying to get a fighting game fan riled up by saying you hate galaxy fight, breakers, and fighter's history :laugh:

e:

mikeycp posted:

Oh. I like this game. Let me go too.

*clears throat*

Why even play a shooter where the screen isn't always bullets? gently caress all that trash give me only Touhou 24/7 all day every day. Also only play on easy and use continues like candy.

:effort: come on man at least the other dude threw darts at a list of shmups

d0s fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 21, 2016

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
On the subject of shmups, I've had the level 1 music from Viewpoint stuck in my head since I first played it like a decade ago. I haven't gone to a shrink about it because I don't really perceive that as a problem. Shame I'm awful at the game itself, I grew up on C64 Zaxxon so you'd think isometric shooters would be easy for me, but alas.

Also I need to play Pulstar again, wonder if my Vita TV can do it. Goddamn that is a gorgeous game, best looking game on the Neo Geo if you ask me. Paired up with some nice scan lines, aww yiss.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I like to play shmups for survival, but the bullet hell games just make me cross-eyed. I'll stick to things like Gradius and R-Type kthx

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

On the subject of shmups, I've had the level 1 music from Viewpoint stuck in my head since I first played it like a decade ago. I haven't gone to a shrink about it because I don't really perceive that as a problem. Shame I'm awful at the game itself, I grew up on C64 Zaxxon so you'd think isometric shooters would be easy for me, but alas.

Also I need to play Pulstar again, wonder if my Vita TV can do it. Goddamn that is a gorgeous game, best looking game on the Neo Geo if you ask me. Paired up with some nice scan lines, aww yiss.

you probably know this but both of those games are by the same (awesome) dev, aicom AKA yumekobo. though for whatever reason I also can't get into viewpoint, it's just too weird. tbh I think blazing star is their best even though it can be super easy, it's a great example of a shooter not having to be credit munching hard while still making the gameplay feel good enough that you don't mind, tons of varied ships too so you can pick an intentionally gimped one for extra challenge, go for one that basically fills the screen with bullets, etc.

pulstar is def their best looking game though, and the fact that the default high score names are the engine model numbers of cool cars kicks rear end

e:

Star Man posted:

I like to play shmups for survival, but the bullet hell games just make me cross-eyed. I'll stick to things like Gradius and R-Type kthx

I think bullet hell can be cool it's just that for me there are very few games that pull it off well and for a while it just seemed like a buzzword that every shooter had to be so there was a ton of crap. I actually think some of the touhou games are fun i just don't know why there are like a million of them. also I think the r-type games are some of the best shmups ever made but am completely lukewarm on gradius apart from a very few games in the series and I feel weird about that

d0s fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 21, 2016

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Super famicom cover art collection is a great book. I just ordered artcade as well.

Any other books I should grab? Just waiting for you are now earthbound and pat's ultimate nes guide to come out.

I also have that sweet mega drive book.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Super famicom cover art collection is a great book. I just ordered artcade as well.

Any other books I should grab? Just waiting for you are now earthbound and pat's ultimate nes guide to come out.

I also have that sweet mega drive book.

does artcade go beyond early-mid 80's stuff to late 80's-early 90's? I don't normally go for these books full of PNGs but if it did I would really want that on my coffee table. is there a list of the games in it somewhere?

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

d0s posted:

this is like trying to get a fighting game fan riled up by saying you hate galaxy fight, breakers, and fighter's history :laugh:

Hey, Breakers has fans!

http://shoryuken.com/2014/04/01/balloono-breaking-apart-breakers-revenge-with-lord-bbh-and-zandkun/

And some people like Air Gallet for the Toaplan and 8ing/Raizing connections.

Kid Fenris fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 21, 2016

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

d0s posted:

does artcade go beyond early-mid 80's stuff to late 80's-early 90's? I don't normally go for these books full of PNGs but if it did I would really want that on my coffee table. is there a list of the games in it somewhere?

When I get the book I'll update you. I feel like it'll be rooted deeply in the arcade era and show off lots of bezels and board art which is really what I'd want from it.

It shows bubble bubble on the cover and that was enough for me to buy it.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

OSI bean dip posted:

So since we had a Genesis post about the HD Retrovision cable, I figure it would be best to post about the SNES version.

It works well with my Samsung LN40 and it registers it as 240p over component without sweating a beat. Before I received the cable, I took a photo of what it looked like when it was connected via composite:

Hmm, interesting. How's the input lag? I have Vizio 2015 4k set and I'm curious how those cables would work on my SNES/Gen. I'd have to buy multiple cables and a component switcher would probably close to a framemeister in cost. But this is in interesting alternative I'd love to hear more about.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
breakers is cool

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Kid Fenris posted:

Man, Gekirindan is awful! It's just as bad as Double Wings or Air Gallet!

You mentioned two of the Not-Toaplan-But-Toaplan games!

Gyrodine (Crux)
Kyukyoku Tiger II (Takumi)
Gekirindan (Taito)
Air Gallet (Gazelle)
DonPachi (Cave)

All had former (or future, in Gyro's case) Toaplan staff on their dev teams, and could feasibly be included in their library if you look at them at the right angle.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

d0s posted:

you probably know this but both of those games are by the same (awesome) dev, aicom AKA yumekobo. though for whatever reason I also can't get into viewpoint, it's just too weird. tbh I think blazing star is their best even though it can be super easy, it's a great example of a shooter not having to be credit munching hard while still making the gameplay feel good enough that you don't mind, tons of varied ships too so you can pick an intentionally gimped one for extra challenge, go for one that basically fills the screen with bullets, etc.

pulstar is def their best looking game though, and the fact that the default high score names are the engine model numbers of cool cars kicks rear end

Blazing Star is really good, and yeah it is a bit easier than others but it's fun and pretty, so what's not to love?

Aicom good developer.

I like Last Resort too, even though I'm utterly terrible at it for some reason. Never have gotten very far.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

Hey, Breakers has fans!

http://shoryuken.com/2014/04/01/balloono-breaking-apart-breakers-revenge-with-lord-bbh-and-zandkun/

And some people like Air Gallet for the Toaplan and 8ing/Raizing connections.

that's why I put breakers in there, air gallet is something I like a lot but it's a love hate/thing (like breakers) and a really weird game to put in a diss like that

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Speaking of Last Resort:

:dong:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I like to think that in the first stage of last resort you're flying over the kof94 japan stage

d0s fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 21, 2016

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The shared universe of Akira.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

SnatchRabbit posted:

Hmm, interesting. How's the input lag? I have Vizio 2015 4k set and I'm curious how those cables would work on my SNES/Gen. I'd have to buy multiple cables and a component switcher would probably close to a framemeister in cost. But this is in interesting alternative I'd love to hear more about.

Input lag is fine once you turn down all of those stupid things your TV wants to do like auto-contrast and so forth. If I end up getting an SD2SNES I will run 240p test suite on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!
I don't want to ruin anyone's fun but component video scaled through a modern TV still looks like artifact-filled garbage to me. You're cleaning up the source signal but you're still running that source through the wrong scaler, so you're getting a lot of artificial artifacts that shouldn't be there, and you're probably getting some pretty bad input lag too. I don't know if there are good solutions out there for this, but I actually think you'd be happier with plain old composite through a good scaler, it looks surprisingly good for what it is. I have had some pretty good results with a stock NES and a Framemeister.

• Locked thread