Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Sanji's siblings have exoskeletons?

Edit: Definitely a weird translation. The scientist says that the others' bodies have matured to the strength and agility of grown men, but they're still kid-sized.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
we're so gonna get another tragic backstory flashback later showing how sanji's mom was the sweetest woman to ever have lived and the dad's gonna absolutely have murdered the gently caress out of her

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Space-Bird posted:

It really reminds me of the ol: "Want to be secret friends? Just don't tell any of the other kids in class we are friends, ok?" But yeah, it's very realistic, and I think it's a really great narrative touch, I'm personally just not quick to defend it.
you're not supposed to defend it

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The bar has been set so low by the rest of the family it makes gray look like dazzling white by comparison.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

we're so gonna get another tragic backstory flashback later showing how sanji's mom was the sweetest woman to ever have lived and the dad's gonna absolutely have murdered the gently caress out of her

It's gonna be revealed that he initially worked on the cloning project to try and revive his dead wife but somehow forgot along the way

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
My current theory is Sanji's mom wanted one normal kid, so she sabotaged Sanji's gene therapy somehow. And I guess the dad killed her for it? Or perhaps one of the brothers killed her in a jealous rage because she didn't love them as much as Sanji?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Captain Invictus posted:

you're not supposed to defend it

I agree!

I also wonder if we'll get an extended Zoro backstory around Wano.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Also, Speak of the fuckin devil and he'll appear. Goddamn Vegapunk.

and that's the origin of the Pacifista explained, neato.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I have a vegapunk theory, I think that we've already met him, but we just didn't realize it.

The old man is vegapunk, and for a second he thought that akoiji had blown his cover.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I have a vegapunk theory, I think that we've already met him, but we just didn't realize it.

The old man is vegapunk, and for a second he thought that akoiji had blown his cover.

Tonjit? Yeah, I think quite a few people have already theorized this.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Captain Invictus posted:

plus the whole "I'll be bullied too" thing.

Also, Sanji is literally the man in the iron mask. Kinda funny that Duval had that mask of his, now.

Yeah, that's a weirdly interesting way to retcon things so that Sanji had extra motivation for being pissed at Duval. Not only did Duval's existence and bounty make a mockery of him, but the mask apparently triggered some bad childhood memories as well?

Classic One Piece hosed up childhoods! Hooray! :v: Does Oda have some hosed-up childhood from real-life he's trying to vent through One Piece? It's hard to imagine with a perfectly stable, happy childhood being able to write these sort of quality heartbreaking chapters.-

Also, wow, an actual cool colored spread from MangaStream for once!:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

DizzyBum posted:

Tonjit? Yeah, I think quite a few people have already theorized this.

Cool! I thought I was the only one!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jassa posted:

My current theory is Sanji's mom wanted one normal kid, so she sabotaged Sanji's gene therapy somehow. And I guess the dad killed her for it? Or perhaps one of the brothers killed her in a jealous rage because she didn't love them as much as Sanji?

I'm honestly wondering whether Sanji and company even had a mother. You know, other than the odd bit of salvaged genetic material.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Green Intern posted:

Sanji's siblings have exoskeletons?

Edit: Definitely a weird translation. The scientist says that the others' bodies have matured to the strength and agility of grown men, but they're still kid-sized.

I think this is an obtuse/flowery way of saying that the cloned kids are starting to develop Haki.

Also, apparently Sanji's a clone now? What's the deal? Was he actually conceived by natural birth or the Germa in vitro poo poo?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm really enjoying Sanji's arc. It's hosed up but really interesting backstory combined with setting up some really punchable faces.

Unless I missed something I think that Sanji and his siblings are straight up grown in vats clones using dad as the template. Only thing is I can't tell is dad has the curly eyebrow or not so maybe that was inherited from the absentee mom.

EDIT: vv welp missed that panel somehow.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 21, 2016

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm honestly wondering whether Sanji and company even had a mother. You know, other than the odd bit of salvaged genetic material.

The dad literally says "your mother is dead" to young sanji in this chapter

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Theorixing aside, I think it's really nothing more than a funny beat gag that shows Luffy is a thick-headed dumbass who doesn't think things through a lot of the time. It's still pretty funny, up there with pushing the zombie back down into the grave on Thriller Bark.

There's been other glimpses to this sort "yes, not everybody lives in a pirates vs marines world like you do" mentality like with Hannyabal's speech at Impel Down too.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 21, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I swear there were other goofy One Piece gags that ended up having very significant plot foreshadowing but I really can't put my finger on it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Radish posted:

I swear there were other goofy One Piece gags that ended up having very significant plot foreshadowing but I really can't put my finger on it.
island-sized goldfish poop and other ussop's fables? though that wasn't really that big a deal

also I hope the dad/brothers face-punching happens in a two-page spread with a big X across them with each face punch taking up a quarter of the X

alternatively, have sanji do the face-beating at once, two with fists, two with feet, the fists which he would normally never use would be for wasting food and beating a woman

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Radish posted:

It's not foreshadowing, but all of the absurd lies he told to cheer up Kaya came true, even the having 10,000 men and killing a dragon, so Sniper Island is probably gonna be real.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Matoi Ryuko posted:

That's Vegapunk's silhouette, from a flashback during Punk Hazard. Tonjit was just a nomad and we see him caught up to his family in the 'Two Years Later' cover arc that recaps there characters the Strawhats had met thus far.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Oh wow the cover page is so adorable :kimchi: i wonder what the rest of the chapter will be like...

:stare:

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Last Celebration posted:

It's not foreshadowing, but all of the absurd lies he told to cheer up Kaya came true, even the having 10,000 men and killing a dragon, so Sniper Island is probably gonna be real.

Sniper Island is going to be the island his dad was from. It'll be right next to Elbaf. Only those who hold Sniper Island in their heart can successfully find it.

Doesn't have to go down like that. The tragedy could be that Judge was actually a decent guy, but the death of his wife (to a genetic illness he was on the cusp of curing) and the Marines raiding their lab on the same day (which could easily have caused the death by destroying the equipment or materials needed to administer a cure) broke him. He returns home to Germa with their 5 kids and messes with their genetics in the hopes of 1) preventing them from succumbing to the same illness, and 2) having them lead the force that will one day challenge the WG.

Incidentally, the mom will have been a fantastic cook, yet frail because of her illness. Sanji balances out at "normal" because he actually did have the same condition (the other 4 don't), but Judge's genetic tampering counteracts the effects. Between that and the cooking, Sanji's a walking reminder of Judge's wife and how he failed her, and he just can't deal with it.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Nah, I don't buy Dad-ji ever being anything resembling a "decent guy". Dude figuratively killed one of his children for being normal instead of a superhuman .

I would be extremely disappointed if Oda tries to ever portray him in a positive light.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
can't wait to see sanji let loose and beat his dad and brothers at once :getin:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The dad literally says "your mother is dead" to young sanji in this chapter

No, I know, but it just seems plausible that he might be lying. Maybe even implanting artificial memories to enhance family loyalty. Maybe I'm just being a little paranoid, but Germa is an inherently paranoia-inducing setting.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Jose posted:

same, friendo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i also like his dad thinking the world government are scared of him which is why he's left alone

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
in this thread we're all nakama (thats the japanese word for friendo)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

we're all comrades i wish i could find the one piece communism parody from LF

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Jose posted:

My prediction is that Reiju will remove the explosive wristlets and take care of the east blue connection while Sanji makes mincemeat out of them.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jose posted:

we're all comrades i wish i could find the one piece communism parody from LF

Anything to save a Bro.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

thanks comrade :ussr:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
The beatdown that will ensue will be glorious. I kinda hope Sanji manages to solve this poo poo on his own though.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Space-Bird posted:

I agree!

I also wonder if we'll get an extended Zoro backstory around Wano.

I hope not. With Sanji, yeah, I always got the feeling there was more to his past (and I was right, and we're now getting it), but Zoro feels more like we already got all the relevant parts of his backstory. What more can be added, how he ended up in the dojo? How he wound up being a pirate hunting nomad? Maybe, but Zoro always felt like a pretty simple guy, when you get down to it.

I think Zoro more needs character development in the present day, working through his current issues.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Nami Zoro and Brook all have more backstory to tell.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Kild posted:

Nami Zoro and Brook all have more backstory to tell.

i have no doubts that wano will bring out an interesting backstory for zoro. i just really hope it turns out zoro is still some straight up regular dude who became a total monster.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Space-Bird posted:

I don't really think it's cool that Reiju is keeping her head down, and not sticking up for her runt brother. I'm surprised people think this is ok? But I guess that's pretty realistic. I think it's great from a narrative perspective, because it's a great contrast for people like Luffy, and why they're cool.

Yeah, this really struck me as an example of Oda as a writer at his best.

Having grown up in an abusive family myself, it's definitely a gray area for the sister's involvement. You can't really blame her trying to save her own skin in an incredibly hostile family environment (especially so as a child), but she still failed him as a sister by taking part in the collective sibling emotional torture.

For some people to have a, well, apologetic mindset towards all of it is understandable and realistic albeit something I personally strongly condemn. I empathize a lot with Sanji, although my childhood didn't involve super soldier genetic engineering and cosplaying as the Man in the Iron Mask.

Any time a narrative situation comes up that people find ambiguous and debatable even though it should have a "correct" interpretation like this is the sign of a talented writer, so kudos to Oda yet again. One Piece is the only manga I follow weekly and I'm glad this crazy train from Zou through now is reaffirming my love for One Piece. :D

anime was right posted:

i have no doubts that wano will bring out an interesting backstory for zoro. i just really hope it turns out zoro is still some straight up regular dude who became a total monster.

There's still that baggage with Kuina and female swordsmen to deal with, and given that Wano is ostensibly a country full of samurai that tension will very likely be brought up as Zoro has to fight his female counterparts.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 21, 2016

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

anime was right posted:

My gut feeling is that Zoro's master from eons ago was a citizen of Wano that left the country for some reason, and was the last master of some long-lost school of Wano swordsmanship that Zoro accidentally has inherited.

Then there's the fact Zoro wields a sword that belonged to a legendary Wano swordsman. That's absolutely going to come up in some manner when the Straw Hats land in Wano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
yup, i dont care if he uses some super techinques and have dope swords. those will be fun reveals. the coolest part about zoro is like his contrast to luffy in that luffy is like the son and grandson of some crazy powerful people, a D, was brothers with the pirate kings son, and has the pirate kings will, has one of the best powers, etc. like, luffy has some chosen one poo poo going on around him. zoro is just some ambitious kid who became a megabadass.

so its gonna loving suck when they reveal hes roronoa d zoro or whatever the gently caress because sigh