Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

DontMockMySmock posted:

Where's this table from? Hackmaster? That's my guess because I am desperately hoping that this is a parody.

My guess is FATAL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gotta be FATAL. It's the only system I know of that features this kind of 90s death metal descriptiveness and this kind of granularity in deciding precisely which gruesome event results with no actual variance in the mechanical effects.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Looks like FATAL to me. It's got that combo of being needlessly descriptive, obsessed with genital harm, and generally grimdark and edgy.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Colonel Cool posted:

My guess is FATAL.

Five points to Gryffindor!

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

The most meta fun had with 3.5 was watching an engineer and physicist have an absolute ball calculating just exactly how flying sorcerers firing cones at downward angles worked :v: :science:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Peasant_Railgun

quote:

Hire a ton of peasants; let's just say that it is two thousand two hundred and eighty. Line them up in single file; this will form a chain of peasants two miles long. It'd have been four miles back in MY day (witness me hiking up my 2nd Edition suspenders).
Buy a ladder. Just buy a standard, ten-foot ladder. Disassemble the ladder into a bunch of rungs and a pair of mighty ten-foot wooden poles. Hand a pole to the peasant at the back of line.
First round of combat. Peasant at the front of line readies an action to throw the pole at the enemy. Every peasant behind him readies an action to hand the pole to the peasant in front of him.
Next round: peasants fire off their readied actions, passing the pole two miles down the line and hurling it in six seconds or less. Pole accelerates to the speed of 1188 miles per hour, or Mach 1.546875 in dry air, at 20°C/68°F, at sea level on our planet.
Peasant Railgun can be reloaded and fired in less than 12 seconds.
Variations - Really, your choice. Weapon is scalable, you could use your peasant railgun to fire a number of things at a really long range. Add more peasants to make the weapons even faster; paint them red to make them fasta. Use gobbos to make a DnD grot cannon. Hurl pointy bombs for HEAT weapons. Severed heads make an impressive psychological warfare tool. It's even more wild with a bag of holding - place a team of fighters in it for DYNAMIC ENTRY over castle walls and poo poo, hurl some loving bear cavalry directly into enemy lines, who knows. You can also throw a halfling monk to take full advantage of Flurry of Blows at 1200 mph. Combine this with the 15,000,000 gold-a-day trick and you're ready to absolutely ruin your DM's day.
????
Motherfucking PROFIT

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

By the rules, the last peasant just ends up holding the pole. He can throw it but only for as far as his crappy strength score allows. :v:

It's even dumber than sticking your head in a bucket of water to start drowning because that resets your hit points to zero up from whatever hundreds in the negatives you went while in a deathless frenzy. Amusingly enough I don't think the rules actually say you stop drowning once you get your head above the surface. You die regardless whether you remain submerged or not.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Poil posted:

By the rules, the last peasant just ends up holding the pole. He can throw it but only for as far as his crappy strength score allows. :v:

It's even dumber than sticking your head in a bucket of water to start drowning because that resets your hit points to zero up from whatever hundreds in the negatives you went while in a deathless frenzy. Amusingly enough I don't think the rules actually say you stop drowning once you get your head above the surface. You die regardless whether you remain submerged or not.

Yeah, Peasant Railgun will always be the lamest RAW concept because by its own rules lawyer basis it doesn't matter since velocity isn't a measured factor for attacks. It also misses the better idea of chains of peasants connecting all cities for instant movement of goods at a rate of average peasant carrying capacity every six seconds. Revolutionize the world economy! Develop a Bag of Holding-based form of near-instant transportation! Provide employment to all those poo poo-farmers!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dragons and other peasant-eating things will also find it very convenient. :yum:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Poil posted:

Dragons and other peasant-eating things will also find it very convenient. :yum:

Just takes one round for a bag of holding'd dragon slayer squad to hit the scene!

So, you know, sucks if you're the first peasant attacked, but that's the price of progress.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

That's nothing, let me tell you about this ridiculous ruleset I found where the cleric can only move diagonally and a fully built brick-and-mortar castle is able to cover more distance in one round than a knight on horseback.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

greatn posted:

What is a Stand? I've seen lots of people using it as a proper noun lately.

Imagine the super powers from the X-Men came from invisible ghosts that only other X-Men could see, and that hurting those ghosts hurt the user, and also all the powers were weirder. Because that ghost stands besides you in battle, it's called a Stand.

That's Jojo. I highly recommend it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

And also imagine that the powers and indeed nearly every character was named after a music artist.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Poison Mushroom posted:

Emphasis mine. I know it's a typo, but I'm just imagining some poor schmuck being stuck stumbling and on fire for 1-3 years, burning continuously until they keel over.

That would make for an amazingly dark and ridiculous setting.

Imagine your town is menaced by a Flaming Screamer. You've watched him stumbling toward your town for months. Several farms had to be evacuated and the fields tilled under to prevent wildfire. The battle that created this monstrosity was 11 and a half months ago, so in 2 more weeks you'll know if the horror is over, or if the town will be lost when he finally bumps into the wooden palisade a month from now. :ohdear: :black101:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Or you could just make him a mascot for your tavern, until some berk sets him free with a decanter of endless water.

But you'd have to be barmy to do that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Whybird posted:

That's nothing, let me tell you about this ridiculous ruleset I found where the cleric can only move diagonally and a fully built brick-and-mortar castle is able to cover more distance in one round than a knight on horseback.
:golfclap:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Shugojin posted:

And also imagine that the powers and indeed nearly every character was named after a music artist.

We called it Nirvana, because I was playing a Paladin, and it was hard to think of a good Paladin stand name.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Onmi posted:

We called it Nirvana, because I was playing a Paladin, and it was hard to think of a good Paladin stand name.

You missed a chance to name a Stand Holy Diver.

Shameful.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Dias posted:

You missed a chance to name a Stand Holy Diver.

Shameful.

The World already exists.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ok, I remember being vaguely aware of something called Jojo Bizarre Adventure existing like ten years ago, but lately just everywhere I look, forums, some of my favorite podcasts, there are just a ton of references to it everywhere. Did something happen to give it a huge boost in popularity?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

greatn posted:

Ok, I remember being vaguely aware of something called Jojo Bizarre Adventure existing like ten years ago, but lately just everywhere I look, forums, some of my favorite podcasts, there are just a ton of references to it everywhere. Did something happen to give it a huge boost in popularity?

In the english speaking world? An anime adaption started in 2012.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Rygar201 posted:

Yo, Real Time With Pause is trash for the garbage. If someone remade Baldur's Gate/Pillars of Eternity with as a grid based TBS, I would be alllll about it. I can barely get into BG at all though.

Oh yes this. This is why toee is the best.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Onmi posted:

Living on a Prayer, Made in Heaven, Stairway to Heaven, Faithfully, Knockin' On Heavens Door, lots if you go for song names too. Would also work for a cleric.

Depending on character flavor could also go for something like It's A Hard Life, Let Us Cling Together, or You're My Best Friend. Yes I like Queen.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Battle Hymn of the Republic, John Brown's Body. There's a whole bunch.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

xanthan posted:

Living on a Prayer, Made in Heaven, Stairway to Heaven, Faithfully, Knockin' On Heavens Door, lots if you go for song names too. Would also work for a cleric.

Half of those are taken. :colbert:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Journey, The Cure, Creed...

Though Nirvana's not bad.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Carrasco posted:

Or you could just make him a mascot for your tavern, until some berk sets him free with a decanter of endless water.

But you'd have to be barmy to do that.

I appreciate this reference and would like to thank you for it.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Poil posted:

It's even dumber than sticking your head in a bucket of water to start drowning because that resets your hit points to zero up from whatever hundreds in the negatives you went while in a deathless frenzy. Amusingly enough I don't think the rules actually say you stop drowning once you get your head above the surface.You die regardless whether you remain submerged or not.

Yeah, the Peasant Railgun doesn't work because(unless specified) momentum and acceleration don't exist. And 3.5 is the "RAW paradise" edition.

But you're wrong the last bit. You don't die regardless. In fact you never die. Only issue is you never stop drowning either.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cuchulain posted:

Yeah, the Peasant Railgun doesn't work because(unless specified) momentum and acceleration don't exist. And 3.5 is the "RAW paradise" edition.

But you're wrong the last bit. You don't die regardless. In fact you never die. Only issue is you never stop drowning either.

I guess you can go hang out with the warhammer guy that's on fire for 1D3 years.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
If we're going with common sense ignorance murphies, you can add that it doesn't say Drowning actually makes you dead.

Although being dead isn't that terrible of a fate.

D20 SRD posted:

Dead
The character’s hit points are reduced to -10, his Constitution drops to 0, or he is killed outright by a spell or effect. The character’s soul leaves his body. Dead characters cannot benefit from normal or magical healing, but they can be restored to life via magic. A dead body decays normally unless magically preserved, but magic that restores a dead character to life also restores the body either to full health or to its condition at the time of death (depending on the spell or device). Either way, resurrected characters need not worry about rigor mortis, decomposition, and other conditions that affect dead bodies.

Nowhere does it say you can't continue to take actions and otherwise act normally. To take it to a more absurd degree.

D20 SRD posted:

Dying
A dying character is unconscious and near death. She has -1 to -9 current hit points. A dying character can take no actions and is unconscious. At the end of each round (starting with the round in which the character dropped below 0 hit points), the character rolls d% to see whether she becomes stable. She has a 10% chance to become stable. If she does not, she loses 1 hit point. If a dying character reaches -10 hit points, she is dead.

If you're going to be a little poo poo, you can be dying bleeding corpse, then the enemy coup de graces you. Since you are now at -10 and take on the Dead condition, you can now get back up and keep fighting, confusing the gently caress out of the guy who just killed you.

Fifth Edition doesn't even have a 'Dead' condition listed. Clearly there are no restrictions attached to it. What a weak status effect to inflict.

Edit: I thought this was the Murphy thread. Whooops. I guess relevant to the discussion. How about that Order of the Stick?

NameHurtBrain fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 20, 2016

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

NameHurtBrain posted:

Edit: I thought this was the Murphy thread. Whooops. I guess relevant to the discussion. How about that Order of the Stick?

Come to think, Roy actually learned a new feat while dead. Is that normal for DnD?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I think he learned about the feat while he was dead and then picked it at his next opportunity during a level up.

I think his grandfather even said something to the effect of "It doesn't count until you put the points in".

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He met the prerequisites for the feat while dead, but only acquired it upon leveling up. That's consistent with the rules and with the way thematic content can be written.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Typical overachiever Roy, Elan already laid out with his considering taking a level in Wizard, you don't actually have to do all the legwork, just take the feat and you're considered retroactively to have been working on it all along.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Thaddius the Large posted:

Typical overachiever Roy, Elan already laid out with his considering taking a level in Wizard, you don't actually have to do all the legwork, just take the feat and you're considered retroactively to have been working on it all along.

Well considering that feat is unknown to everyone alive, talking to the dead somehow is the only way you could possibly learn it, retroactive implications or not.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Bongo Bill posted:

He met the prerequisites for the feat while dead, but only acquired it upon leveling up. That's consistent with the rules and with the way thematic content can be written.

I remember reading someone telling a story about a game of Paranoia where that effectively happened.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Vicissitude posted:

I remember reading someone telling a story about a game of Paranoia where that effectively happened.

Thanks ks for reminding me I had a brilliant idea for a Paranoia game but will never get to use it.

The trouble shooters start post mission in a debriefing room and each is given a form to fill out covering what happened during the mission. The only thing the players know ahead of time is what the overall mission goal was. They have five minutes to fill it out in silence then Friend Computer reads what was written. After that the questions about the stories that don't add up start and the players have to try and connect all the dots or they get killed for treason with their clone line murdered as well.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Len posted:

Thanks ks for reminding me I had a brilliant idea for a Paranoia game but will never get to use it.

The trouble shooters start post mission in a debriefing room and each is given a form to fill out covering what happened during the mission. The only thing the players know ahead of time is what the overall mission goal was. They have five minutes to fill it out in silence then Friend Computer reads what was written. After that the questions about the stories that don't add up start and the players have to try and connect all the dots or they get killed for treason with their clone line murdered as well.

In other words, Rashomon meets Paranoia?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

W.T. Fits posted:

In other words, Rashomon meets Paranoia?

With a dash of Always Sunny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Over the Edge