Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If ingame had more doubles battles I bet people wouldn't be so apprehensive about trying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Blackheart posted:

Ah. I always thought these guys were Oni.

Raijin and Fujin absolutely have oni-like aspects to them and can be considered to be both Kami and Oni, using the very very old definition of what an Oni was, which was basically a formless evil disaster-spreading spirit. Since Raijin and Fujin are both aspects of the weather (Rain & Lightning and Wind respectively,) they're sometimes benevolent (Crop-watering showers and comfortable breeze, their kami aspects,) and sometimes malevolent (thunderstorms and monsoons, their oni aspects.)

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
The genies discussion you guys are having already is longer than the design team meeting that put them in the freaking game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I liked the new pokemon but I probably won't end up using either of them

was surprised that the rugby monkey wasn't grass/fighting tho

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

cancerianmoth posted:

The whole point is to have fun with pokemon that aren't usually used. Blaziken, Greninja and Scizor a concern? Then lower the BST so they can't be used, which would be under 500 in order to exclude Scizor from being picked. There aren't that many pokemon over 500 as there are under so there is still ALOT to choose from and have fun with.

I know you started this line of posts as a "smogon rules are bad" though, however if you like to use "Pokemon that aren't usually used" let me introduce you to lower tiers, where pelipper is a metagame defining choice

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Waffles Inc. posted:

Can I ask the dumbest question ever: why is there a scene (or scenes) with rules that differ from the official vgc rules? Isn't everyone's goal to win the actual vgc? Aside from just generally loving around I mean

It seems like the Smogon folks have invested a lot of time into their unique rules and tiers but isn't that like my friends and I adding a 4 point line to our pickup basketball games? That's fine in and of itself but the real game sets the real rules

I wrote the response to this a bunch of posts ago but here is the condensed version:

Competitive mons started and got organized without nintendos help or interest, long before vgc was even a concept. Smogon lasted longer than any other competitive focused Pokemon site, and has had certain tournaments exist for upwards of 11 years straight. The singles community is based around these tournaments as the highest level of competition and they are seen as the most prestigious things to win in mons as a whole.

Additionally the competitive level of the vgc scene is still lacking compared to the top level of singles, pretty average smogon tournament players tend to do very well when playing vgc even as a passing interest. So for the time being at least from my perspective, singles is more rewarding to play due to the developed community, trophies with "history", and higher level of play

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Manatee Cannon posted:

I liked the new pokemon but I probably won't end up using either of them

was surprised that the rugby monkey wasn't grass/fighting tho

I'm sure it can learn some Grass type moves though. Seed Bomb seems like a given.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Wonder what happens if orangutan instructs its doubles partner to reuse a Z move?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Nephzinho posted:

Wonder what happens if orangutan instructs its doubles partner to reuse a Z move?

Probably nothing since you can only Z-Moves once per battle and I doubt that there's a way to circumvent that.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Pure speculation, but it could cause them to use the prerequisite move. So Instructing Snorlax's thing would use Giga Impact.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

AlphaKretin posted:

Pure speculation, but it could cause them to use the prerequisite move. So Instructing Snorlax's thing would use Giga Impact.

Can you Instruct a Pokemon fatigued from Hyper Beam so it keeps blasting out Hyper Beams?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

what happens if two orangurus Instruct each other?

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

McDragon posted:

... But it failed.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

McDragon posted:

"But it failed!"

In retrospect this is probably the boring answer for Z-Moves and Hyper Beam variants.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I've been playing pokemon soul silver and I have really been spoiled by gen 6. The older games are pretty unforgiving. single use TMs are the worst and I'm so glad they fixed that

Also maybe I just suck but I've actually lost a few times in this game

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Gammatron 64 posted:

I've been playing pokemon soul silver and I have really been spoiled by gen 6. The older games are pretty unforgiving. single use TMs are the worst and I'm so glad they fixed that

Also maybe I just suck but I've actually lost a few times in this game

Soul Silver has a pretty bad level curve, its really easy to get underleveled unless you're obsessively backtracking and exploring all the caves dotting Johto that have like a third of the trainers in the game deep inside.

It can also be easy to breeze through if you rock Feraligatr and some of the early powerful pokemon you can grab like Heracross.

Zore fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 21, 2016

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Zore posted:

Soul Silver has a pretty bad level curve, its really easy to get underleveled unless you're obsessively backtracking and exploring all the caves dotting Johto that have like a third of the trainers in the game deep inside.

It can also be easy to breeze through if you rock Feraligatr and some of the early powerful pokemon you can grab like Heracross.

I'm 4 badges and about 10 hours in. I did pick Totodile because the other starters suck. Where is Heracross?

Currently I'm rocking:
Croconaw
Gastly
Kadabra
Flaffy
Sudowoodo
Magmar

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm 4 badges and about 10 hours in. I did pick Totodile because the other starters suck. Where is Heracross?

Currently I'm rocking:
Croconaw
Gastly
Kadabra
Flaffy
Sudowoodo
Magmar

Heracross is found by using Headbutt on trees (only certain routes have it though.)

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

When will we get double rotation battles? I hope SM

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Battle Royal is the new metagame.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Gammatron 64 posted:

Currently I'm rocking:
Croconaw
Gastly
Kadabra
Flaffy
Sudowoodo
Magmar

You can get Heracross way back in the town you fought Bugsy in by headbutting.

In general, a lot of good pokemon come from Headbutt trees.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
That Triples hack of Black/White was pretty hilarious and made me appreciate triple battles, especially trying to nuzlocke triple battles because they are the deadliest.

A Battle Royal only mode for S&M would be cool in theory but horrible in practice because I can only imagine it lags like crazy.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Emerald had the right ratio of battle formats. Like 2/3 single, 1/3 double, and 0/3 rotation.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rotation is good. Anything that makes dumb gimmicky combos more viable is good.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

The genies are Raijin, Fuujin, and some land spirit related to those two who doesn't come up as much. They're kami.

thundurus is raijin, tornadus is fujin, landorus is okumura

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

https://twitter.com/therealzef/status/778674806900330500

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Well thats good at least.

Did anyone really think Megas were entirely going away though?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Zore posted:

I didn't think, but I hoped.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

What did people expect? "We've spent an entire generation creating mega evolutions, putting them in the spotlight and featuring them heavily in side games like Pokken as well on the Anime, let's just abandon them all together."

Megas Rule. I'm glad they're staying so I can continue to pet my Mega-Ampharos and his perfect Glam-Rock hair.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

What did people expect? "We've spent an entire generation creating mega evolutions, putting them in the spotlight and featuring them heavily in side games like Pokken as well on the Anime, let's just abandon them all together."

Megas Rule. I'm glad they're staying so I can continue to pet my Mega-Ampharos and his perfect Glam-Rock hair.

i was confident that they'd still be around but we've been learning about this game for months and this is the first confirmation we've had that megas are still in, i can't blame people for getting skeptical

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Megas are probably postgame only this time

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

cheetah7071 posted:

Megas are probably postgame only this time

We can only hope.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Zore posted:

I'm sure some people did. Hopefully we can stop arguing about it now that it's confirmed.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

don't forget to transfer DUX from red/blue to get farfetch'dite

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Kill Megamence! Kill Megamence!!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

mega farfetch'd is steel/flying, he's got a cute little kabuto helmet and a very sharp but still clearly leek leek

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

alcharagia posted:

Kill Megamence! Kill Megamence!!

don't worry, Ice/Steel Sandslash resists all of Salamence's STAB so we're in the clear

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

oddium posted:

mega farfetch'd is steel/flying, he's got a cute little kabuto helmet and a very sharp but still clearly leek leek

and his special attack will be reduced to 1 so the mega gets 157 points to distribute

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Countblanc posted:

don't worry, Ice/Steel Sandslash resists all of Salamence's STAB so we're in the clear

f i r e b l a s t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Countblanc posted:

I don't care! Mega Salamence should go away. I was mad when it was first announced and I'm still mad now. gently caress off Megamence. You don't deserve to exist.

loving stealing pinsir's glory. pinsir deserves better