Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Smythe posted:

i, too, want my immobile desktop computer to have the same thermal and power restrictions of a 9mm thick cell phone that has to last all day on battery. suits my needs. (?????)
your desktop docking pad includes extra cores that the pocket computer controls via cyber waves and it also gets wirelessly charged in the process. idiot.

Linguica fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sagebrush posted:

me, 10 years ago: "holy goddamn, imagine if i had a 2ghz processor and 4 gigs of ram in my palmpilot instead of in this big old desktop. i'd never need another computer again!"

me, today: "lol"

at this point it's mostly an interface thing, not a processing power thing

you can run microsoft office on your phone if you really want to but it takes forever to do anything with it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

computer parts posted:

at this point it's mostly an interface thing, not a processing power thing

you can run microsoft office on your phone if you really want to but it takes forever to do anything with it

not really dude. my big rear end computer is a billion times faster than my phones, while the specs are ostensibly similar. probs kuz my big rear end rig can jack a bajillion watts out of the wall and pump out over 9000 btus of epic heats to render mah drat vids and headshot blood sprites

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Elder Postsman posted:

your wait is over

thank you, jonney

is it a pad? is it a phone?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

mobile megaherz and cores are not "real"

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

spankmeister posted:

mobile megaherz and cores are not "real"

you could call it a megahertz myth

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
The 500MHz Power Macintosh G4 is more than 50% faster than the Intel Pentium 4 in common computing tasks1

1Photoshop 10-pixel Gaussian blur, 2048x2048 image

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Sinjang
May 29, 2013
no sillies we'll borrow computational power from the cloud. phone will stream only

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

not from this distance your honor
if you dont see a camera bulge, they blew it

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Sinjang posted:

no sillies we'll borrow computational power from the cloud. phone will stream only

borrow? i hope you mean BUY ORACLE END-USER COMPUTING UNITS

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Sagebrush posted:

we should stop calling them smartphones

phone call is like #20 on list of things people do with their phones now

and smart is a meaningless adjective, only relevant as a comparator

a sci fi story i read used "pocket slate" and "slate". this seems reasonable.

beep boop

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

i miss those commercials about a lady fighting a robot or the phone slicing through everything or whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiKyYI7PlUA

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the htc pixel phone costs as much as an iphone and comes preinstalled with htc sense

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

the htc pixel phone costs as much as an iphone and comes preinstalled with htc sense

where'd you hear that last bit

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Linguica posted:

I unironically cannot wait until we really just all have pocket computers that we can choose to use in desktop computer mode by placing it on a special sensor pad or something

nearly every fantasy techno thing people come up with reduces down to "invent an infinite battery that doesn't explode, all else follows"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

where'd you hear that last bit
it's an htc

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

google pixel lol

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Wild EEPROM posted:

is it a pad? is it a phone?

its nightmare fuel

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

it's a nexus-thing. i really doubt google would sell a google-branded phone with htc sense on it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

you're right. they would use touchwiz since that is what people actually buy

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

i like this

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

you're right. they would use touchwiz since that is what people actually settle for when they can't afford an iPhone

ftfy

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

hope you like snapdragon 400/mediatek helio p10 then

(i do like the black. very Deus Ex: HR)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

google allo is out and it's not as good hangouts and still doesn't get google to where literally everyone wants them: a straight clone of imessage

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

it's called allo because it's populated by allphones: people who would rather be communicating by some means other than the one they're using

e: oh i guess that's a canadianism oh well :canada:

USSAr
Sep 16, 2007

Your a Commie
How SMS works.

"If they’re on an iPhone, they’ll receive an SMS with your name, the contents of your message, and a link to download the app. They can then download it or — if they want — just reply via SMS. Google has set up a full SMS relay so that your recalcitrant friends can avoid installing it at all if they don't want to.
If they’re on an Android phone, something new and intriguing happens. Google is calling it an "app preview notification," and basically it shoots a notification directly to your Android device instead of going through SMS. Your friend will get a notification that looks and acts almost as if they had the app installed in the first place, message content and all. It means they won’t incur any SMS fees, either. Your recipient can reply within the notification, or tap on it to install the app."

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/21/12996170/google-allo-review-assistant-messaging-chat-app

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it's also locked to exactly one device. it's like blackberry messenger all over again!
https://twitter.com/RonAmadeo/status/778470188156981254

USSAr
Sep 16, 2007

Your a Commie
once again google strives to make a knockoff iMessage clone, and proceeds to fail spectacularly

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

but does it like how?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

it's also locked to exactly one device. it's like blackberry messenger all over again!

why on earth did they decide to do this

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

they also didn't bother to support tablets

https://twitter.com/RonAmadeo/status/778473252691726336

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

of course they didn't nobody uses android tablets

that actually explains the lack of multi-device support; the devs literally forgot that android tablets are a thing

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lmaooo

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

terrible

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
ummm where is the option to send with lasers this is 2016 ffs

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

poty posted:

ummm where is the option to send with lasers this is 2016 ffs

a laser is a highly focused thing

android development not so much

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

what the gently caress kind of idiot would implement it this way?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Management posted:

what the gently caress kind of idiot would implement it this way?

i could kind of understand it if everything was encrypted end-to-end with no option to store the encrypted conversations anywhere but locally, but they're not end-to-end and are stored forever on google servers by default (since you can't use the google assistant with it on)

• Locked thread