Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

On the other hand, you can't quantify with your math that it is very fun to spike for 4 hits and a crit at range one. Can't do that with Predator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
But we can quantify how unfun it is to spend 4 points and an EPT slot on a card that's actual garbage.

It's three. Three unfuns.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

They're called Utils and we can quantify them using marginal utility functions. Fun is a kind of Util.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Panzeh posted:

An extra red die's strict average value decreases with the more dice you already roll. Expose is even money with tl/evade coming from 2 die but gets worse and worse from there.

But comparing with TL isn't really fair, since you would always want a focus token with Predator. Predator gives no benefit with TL. And 2 atk w/focus and Pred(1) has higher expected damage than 3 atk when used against 1 agi, 1 e.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
If rollin' a bunch of dice is your thing play a swarm cause you roll a lot of dice there and swarms are actually pretty good.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Finster Dexter posted:

But comparing with TL isn't really fair, since you would always want a focus token with Predator. Predator gives no benefit with TL. And 2 atk w/focus and Pred(1) has higher expected damage than 3 atk when used against 1 agi, 1 e.

I was taking into account a ship with predator, though you're right(predator is less good the less your ship costs in the first place though).

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Panzeh posted:

I was taking into account a ship with predator, though you're right(predator is less good the less your ship costs in the first place though).

I was more referring to the rule that once a die is re-rolled it cannot be re-rolled again.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
The pro Expose RAC is that you run it with EI, so you can expose and TL the same turn, and get his pseudo focus. Miss out on EU though, so you just lose to swarms.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, the more I hear about this, the more I'm liking Predator/EU better.

Or VI.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Just take gunner+vader if youre set on pushing that extra dmg through. Then you can still take engine.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

According to someone at League, the FAQ says Palpy can modify someone's dice if they're locked by Omega Leader. So I guess that means Palpy can modify Snap Shot dice as well?

EDIT: Nevermind, the wording is different. "Enemy ships may not" vs "You may not"

EDITEDIT: The rules reference says "you" refers to the specific ship, not you the player.

I'm so confused.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 21, 2016

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I won a store tournament a month back where I got to choose one of the small ships from Wave 9 to get for free when they arrive. Well Wave 9 hit the shelves today so I need to decide between one ARC, the Fang Fighter and the Special Forces TIE.

I haven't play tested any of the new ships yet. I might end up snagging a TIE S/F retail anyway, so maybe just between the Fang and the ARC.

Edit: Found out it's just a choice between the S/F and the Protectorate, so I'm just going to snag the TIE and buy the other.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 21, 2016

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
If palp can modify snap shot attacks then gently caress this game.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Palp can totally modify Snap Shot. It's the difference between "this roll cannot be modified" and "you cannot modify"

Since Snap Shot specifies "you", meaning the ship on which Snap Shot is equipped, another ship (Palp) can modify. It's the same ruling as Omega Leader.

Edit: and frankly I'd be thrilled if they used palp to modify a lovely 2-die snapshot attack instead of saving him for defense.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Admiral Joeslop posted:

According to someone at League, the FAQ says Palpy can modify someone's dice if they're locked by Omega Leader. So I guess that means Palpy can modify Snap Shot dice as well?

I can answer at least part of this for you, from the FAQ: https://bit.ly/xwingfaq

quote:

If “Omega Leader” has an enemy ship locked, and Emperor Palpatine is equipped to a different enemy ship, the ship with Emperor Palpatine equipped may modify one of the locked ship’s dice.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ConfusedUs posted:

Palp can totally modify Snap Shot. It's the difference between "this roll cannot be modified" and "you cannot modify"

Since Snap Shot specifies "you", meaning the ship on which Snap Shot is equipped, another ship (Palp) can modify. It's the same ruling as Omega Leader.

Edit: and frankly I'd be thrilled if they used palp to modify a lovely 2-die snapshot attack instead of saving him for defense.

Snap Shot is the Palp trap, because if they use him on Snap Shot it's Ace-murderin' time in the combat phase, and if they use him against Snap Shot on defense then it's also Ace-murderin' time in the combat phase.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Strobe posted:

Snap Shot is the Palp trap, because if they use him on Snap Shot it's Ace-murderin' time in the combat phase, and if they use him against Snap Shot on defense then it's also Ace-murderin' time in the combat phase.

100% agreed. It's a really nice bit of subtle anti-palp tech. :)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chill la Chill posted:

There's a lot of cross-faction purchases for specific cards.
Yeah that's fair enough

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I guess. It's just... FFS, it's not like Palp needs more versatility.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Corbeau posted:

I guess. It's just... FFS, it's not like Palp needs more versatility.

Good, good....let the hate flow through you. :evilbuddy:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Couple thoughts; Snap Shot lets you use Jan twice in a round as long as she dials in a green.

If you get one damage through on a Snap Shot, do you Palp to save the Stealth Device or save it for combat when you're tokened up?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Save the Stealth Device, 100%.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Palp should cost 0 points and have the additional text, "If this ship is destroyed, you lose the game."

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 21, 2016

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Snap Shot is my favorite thing to come out in probably four waves. I want it real bad.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Strobe posted:

Why would you put snap shot on any ship in an imp. ace list?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That's the other part of the trap.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
So will this end up being the ideal build for Quickdraw or any TIE/sf?

"Quickdraw" (29)
Wired (1)
Electronic Baffle (1)
Pattern Analyzer (2)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)
Special Ops Training (0)

Total: 34

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That's... a lot of ways to use or shed stress that can't be used in sync with each other. Pattern Analyzer and Electronic Baffle, sure, but I'd much sooner pair it with Marksmanship I think. For the case of the only time I'd ever willingly use Marksmanship not on Corran. Pair with Experimental Interface for shits and giggles.

Red maneuver, Pattern Analyzer delays stress, use Marksmanship action, EI to barrel roll or TL just in case. Take one stress, baffle the other and take the full mod shot. Four more points for a lot more than four more points worth of offense.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tacopocalypse posted:

So will this end up being the ideal build for Quickdraw or any TIE/sf?

"Quickdraw" (29)
Wired (1)
Electronic Baffle (1)
Pattern Analyzer (2)
Special Ops Training (0)

Total: 34

I don't get it. You don't have a reliable way to give yourself a stress token aside from dialing directly into a red, then you want to soak it with Baffles to trigger your activation phase shot, but that means Wired doesn't benefit you since the stress is gone by the time you're making the attack?

This is my Quickdraw:

"Quickdraw" (29)
Stay On Target (2)
Electronic Baffle (1)
Pattern Analyzer (2)
Shield Upgrade (4)
Special Ops Training (0)

Stay on Target means you can dial into a "3" and have your choice of 5 maneuvers to keep someone in arc, which you can make red to plink yourself for the "free" attack with Baffles. I fully agree with Pattern Analyzer since that gives you an action to get some dice fixing though. Since baffles are eating the stress anyway, you don't need the Mk II engines to shed it, and I think this is one of the few use cases where Shield Upgrade makes sense, potentially giving you another use of his potent pilot ability.

There's also an argument for PTL in the EPT slot, but I like the idea of the Baffle->free shot trigger giving me a repositioning option at PS9 to ensure I have the shot I want.

I also think Laserfart will end up wanting a pretty different build from Quickdraw. This is my first pass at it:
"Backdraft" (27)
Wired (1)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Primed Thrusters (1)
Special Ops Training (0)

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 22, 2016

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

This is my take on Backdraft. Cheap and easy.

"Backdraft" (27)
Predator (3)
Collision Detector (0)
Special Ops Training (0)

Total: 30

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Endman posted:

This is my take on Backdraft. Cheap and easy.

"Backdraft" (27)
Predator (3)
Collision Detector (0)
Special Ops Training (0)

Total: 30

I don't like it. You're not spending half the ship's points again on upgrades running the gimmick into the ground. :colbert:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I'll be pretty interested to see how well the TIE/sf does in the post wave 9 meta since its identical to an X-wing with basically everything people have asked for fix wise (Barrel roll, system slot, tech slot) with some slight dial changes.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

zVxTeflon posted:

I'll be pretty interested to see how well the TIE/sf does in the post wave 9 meta since its identical to an X-wing with basically everything people have asked for fix wise (Barrel roll, system slot, tech slot) with some slight dial changes.

Lo and behold jousting isn't what it used to be. The generic /sf is better than the generic t-70 though.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope
My current Backdraft build is a bit more expensive, but I like it's ability to touch Brobots and Aces.

"Backdraft" (27)
Outmaneuver (3)
FCS (2)
SpOT (0)

Total: 32

I'll add Primed Thrusters when they come out.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So I got the two core sets, what was next if I wanted to improve my X-Wangs and Ties?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey all, just looking for some feedback on the Fang(x2)+Slaver list I've been dying to build these last few weeks, as I've just picked up the much-needed Protectorate Starfighters:

quote:

Fenn Rau — Protectorate Starfighter 28
Fearlessness 1
Stealth Device 3
Concord Dawn Protector 1
Ship Total: 33

Old Teroch — Protectorate Starfighter 26
Fearlessness 1
Stealth Device 3
Concord Dawn Protector 1
Ship Total: 31

Trandoshan Slaver — YV-666 29
4-LOM 1
Zuckuss 1
K4 Security Droid 3
Inertial Dampeners 1
Ship Total: 35

Total: 99

I'm not sure about 4-LOM in this list though, given that the slaver has low PS and Old Teroch will hopefully be helping to relieve my opponent of their tokens, well before the slaver fires. (I originally had the slaver decked out with Dengar, Gunner and Zuckuss, although I do like having an SD on each of the Fangs, so I needed to make cuts somewhere)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Just got my stuff: I hadn't realised that the shadow caster can both fire out of primary and mobile, which makes the ship much better than I was thinking.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I played against Fen Rau today and holy mother of god the damage at range one is disgusting. Rolling 5 dice and adding the extra hit from Fearlessness makes him a monster.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, we're a pretty small group (at least, compared to other states' X-Wing scenes, from what I've heard), however everyone is really good to play with. Great community, which is almost entirely based at 'Infinity Games' in the CBD, as the owner is pretty keen on X-Wing, too. (However there are a couple of other good places, like 'The Hobby Matrix' at Tea Tree Plaza, up north. Do you know where you'll be staying/living? In terms of cardinal direction from the CBD, at least)
Let me know when you come down here, though! I'll gladly drop by Infinity Games and give you a round or four! :D (We also have a FB group; 'A-Wing: Adelaide X-Wing Community' or something similar, if you fancy more X-Wing talk when you come down here)

Cool, will do. I'll probably be staying around Unley at first, then looking for a place after, possibly around Prospect or a little more north. Either way, no fuss to get into the CBD. Can't miss my Wang fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

hoiyes posted:

Cool, will do. I'll probably be staying around Unley at first, then looking for a place after, possibly around Prospect or a little more north. Either way, no fuss to get into the CBD. Can't miss my Wang fix.

Oh nice, you'll just about be in prime range (for my standards, at least - I'm a fair bit further out, in a northern semi-rural area) for THM. They run games every second Thursday, I believe. (Haven't been able to make it often thus far, but I really need to get more Wang games in my life)

• Locked thread