Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Panfilo posted:

He's completely nonplussed at kids meeting a horrible fate; Augustus Gloop is just a clog, Violet a convenient source of blueberry juice, and he sounds downright disappointed to discover the bad egg incinerator isn't working that day.

"Help. Police. Murder."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Help. Police. Murder."

Needs to spoken be in a flat affect.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

:stare:

There's other disturbing imagery in that sequence that I never noticed. Wonka is Clockwork Orange'ing his guests, what a sick gently caress. I love it. I didn't like Depp's portrayal of the character, he's just a broken manchild with no edge to him. Wonka isn't a broken man; he breaks men.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Gorson posted:

Wonka isn't a broken man; he breaks men.

So, Wonka is Bane?

It's so obvious now

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Gorson posted:

:stare:

There's other disturbing imagery in that sequence that I never noticed. Wonka is Clockwork Orange'ing his guests, what a sick gently caress. I love it. I didn't like Depp's portrayal of the character, he's just a broken manchild with no edge to him. Wonka isn't a broken man; he breaks men.

I liked Depp's version if just because he wasn't trying to be Gene Wilder, but still felt true to the book anyway.

My irrationally irritating movie moment with that version of C&tCF was that (despite how the following words shouldn't even be able to go together) it would have been significantly better without Christopher Lee. At least they had the squirrels from the book though.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory focused on Charlie. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory focused on Willy Wonka. They're both misnamed. That said, I prefer the focusing on Charlie. Wonka is better as an enigma.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I would have bet anything, my life even, that the 70s movie was called charlie and the chocolate factory. It was called willy wonka and the chocolate factory? What?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I didn't care for Tim Burton's version, but I would have paid good money to see his take on Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, that poo poo got weird. Weirder.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
God, I scarcely remember that. They went up to a space station resort or something of the kind that had been taken over by aliens, right?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Thaddius the Large posted:

I didn't care for Tim Burton's version, but I would have paid good money to see his take on Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, that poo poo got weird. Weirder.

It would be weird to see an entirely different team take on a sequel to something so old but pretty much.

Burton would have probably been able to do justice to the weird monsters.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Strudel Man posted:

God, I scarcely remember that. They went up to a space station resort or something of the kind that had been taken over by aliens, right?

Vermicious Knids to be precise

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Strudel Man posted:

That's about as much as I recall, yeah, just that it goes even further off the rails than the original. I think Charlie's other grandparents are suddenly no longer bedridden too?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

WeAreTheRomans posted:

With a hard K

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

AnonSpore posted:

With a hard K

this is imperative. for some reason

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Panfilo posted:

Not only that but Wonka nervously singing the whole time getting louder and louder makes it even more unnerving.

If you think about it, Wonka sort of pokes fun at celebrity worship. Everybody expected Wonka to be this friendly, benign guy but he goes out of his way to make all the guests as uncomfortable as possible. They're all (except for Charlie and grandpa) horrible people for different reasons but their own style of narcissism holds other people to a standard they can never live up to.

He's completely nonplussed at kids meeting a horrible fate; Augustus Gloop is just a clog, Violet a convenient source of blueberry juice, and he sounds downright disappointed to discover the bad egg incinerator isn't working that day.

That's exactly what it is. The tunnel scene is supposed to be unsettling and scary. Wonka's whole persona is like that. He's weeding out the pretenders and challenging the tourists. The tunnel sequence is one of the best in the entire film.

EDIT: II always thought Prince would have been a great casting choice for a Willy Wonka remake. He practically WAS Willy Wonka. Eccentric, reclusive, misunderstood weirdo genious. Sub out Paisley Park for the chocolate factory, add some awesome music and there you go. Wonka even wore purple. Pricne would have been way better than Depp.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 23:46 on Sep 20, 2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WeAreTheRomans posted:

So, Wonka is Bane?

It's so obvious now

Have you seen what Charlie is currently up to in Bates Motel?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

BiggerBoat posted:

That's exactly what it is. The tunnel scene is supposed to be unsettling and scary. Wonka's whole persona is like that. He's weeding out the pretenders and challenging the tourists. The tunnel sequence is one of the best in the entire film.

EDIT: II always thought Prince would have been a great casting choice for a Willy Wonka remake. He practically WAS Willy Wonka. Eccentric, reclusive, misunderstood weirdo genious. Sub out Paisley Park for the chocolate factory, add some awesome music and there you go. Wonka even wore purple. Pricne would have been way better than Depp.

loving hell, and that soundtrack would have been a thing and a half.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
PYF Favorite Movie Concepts That Will Never Be

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Tim Burton version has a Willy Wonka with a much more Michael Jackson creepy vibe. He's obsessed with childhood but utterly repulsed at actual children ; one kid hugs him and he looks incredibly uncomfortable. The little anamatronic into to his factory breaks down and bursts into flames and he's clapping and laughing while everyone else is :stonk:.

I actually liked Christopher Lee's bits. He was that Fun Hating grownup Willy never wanted to be.

:corsair: "Go ahead and leave. But I won't be here if you come back"

*Wonka returns, and the entire loving row house is completely gone * :stare:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They should have adapted the original version of the book where the oompa loompas are just Africans.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Panfilo posted:

Tim Burton version has a Willy Wonka with a much more Michael Jackson creepy vibe. He's obsessed with childhood but utterly repulsed at actual children ; one kid hugs him and he looks incredibly uncomfortable. The little anamatronic into to his factory breaks down and bursts into flames and he's clapping and laughing while everyone else is :stonk:.

I actually liked Christopher Lee's bits. He was that Fun Hating grownup Willy never wanted to be.

:corsair: "Go ahead and leave. But I won't be here if you come back"

*Wonka returns, and the entire loving row house is completely gone * :stare:

That scene also had one of the best jokes of the movie when young Willy runs away from home saying he's going to travel the world eating candy. Cut to montage of him walking with a backdrop of a bunch of flags, scene ends with him walking out of a museum exhibit called "Flags of the world."

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

EmmyOk posted:

Irritated by a film that doesn't exist yet is incredible

I'd love to know how to watch TV lately and not get irritated with the incessant promotion of Sully and loving Deepwater Horizon.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Every single commercial break.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The bit from the Depp Charlie and the Chocolate Factory I liked was when Charlie's Grandpa says to Willy Wonka "I used to work for you", and Johnny Depp, (who previously had been all saccharine sweetness and weirdness), turns on him and snarls "You weren't one of the weasels who used to steal my recipes and betray me were you?", and when Grandpa says he wasn't, Depp snaps back to being all space cadetty and nice with a "Oh, well that's nice then."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gotham would be significantly improved if Bruce Wayne wasn't a character.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Krinkle posted:

I would have bet anything, my life even, that the 70s movie was called charlie and the chocolate factory. It was called willy wonka and the chocolate factory? What?

They changed the name due to the association of "Charlie" with the Vietnam War.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WeAreTheRomans posted:

SCRAM

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

Panfilo posted:

Everybody expected Wonka to be this friendly, benign guy but he goes out of his way to make all the guests as uncomfortable as possible. They're all (except for Charlie and grandpa) horrible people for different reasons but their own style of narcissism holds other people to a standard they can never live up to.

I got some bad news for you

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

thatdarnedbob posted:

I got some bad news for you

Yup, grandpa is on disability and is scamming the government but he sees Charlie's golden ticket.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AicW3Xp9EM&t=144s

He's just as bad as Wonka's other guests. Charlie is the personification of innocence, everyone else in the movie is a shithead.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Len posted:

Gotham would be significantly improved if Bruce Wayne wasn't a character.

But then there'd be no reason to have Alfred.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Fil5000 posted:

They could at least not have Bruce know everyone who would later be a villain.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Len posted:

They could at least not have Bruce know everyone who would later be a villain.

I think it all has to do with that kid that they cast. He is so whiny looking. And not in a my parents are dead way.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Gorson posted:

Yup, grandpa is on disability and is scamming the government but he sees Charlie's golden ticket.....
He's just as bad as Wonka's other guests. Charlie is the personification of innocence, everyone else in the movie is a shithead.

I always saw it as Grandpa Joe being so psyched by the idea of getting to go into the factory that he overcame years (decades?) of muscular atrophy in the time it took to sing a song. But sure, at the end he proved himself a dick with "oh, we broke the rules and lost our chance at a big payout? Well gently caress you, we'll ruin your business then." Charlie's mom was nice, though. Frig, she supported a kid, four seniors, and I believe that in the book Charlie's dad was there (unemployed after automation cost him his job at the toothpaste factory) on a laundry-woman's salary.
My IIMM with that movie is not the movie itself, but the fact that nobody else I've ever talked to appreciates the scenes clearly thrown in for adults: The woman debating between her kidnapped husband's life and a case of Wonka bars, the scientist telling his computer "exactly what he can do with a lifetime supply of chocolate", and Charlie's awful teacher, the best character in this or any movie. "We're moving Friday's quizzes on the week's lesson to Monday before we've learned it. Today's Tuesday, but it doesn't matter in the slightest: pencils ready!" "TWO? What do you mean you only opened two? Well I don't know how to calculate that, so let's say you opened two hundred..."

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Sand Monster posted:

They changed the name due to the association of "Charlie" with the Vietnam War.

I thought it was to promote Wonka brand candy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Dahl really disliked the Wilder movie. I wonder what he would have thought about the Tim Burton one.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah I'm going through the 2nd season on Netflix now and this is the right answer. Alfred makes up for pussy Bruce.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
This is more common in tv shows than movies, but: The fact that most shows/movies based on or in prison feel compelled to make a talent show/play a major plot point irritates me. I'm not sure if they were the first, but one of the worst was the later seasons of Oz. They were also pretty bad with sports events, like the boxing match and the basketball tournament. Who cares? Basically any sideplot that does nothing but act as filler (that sideplot with the nun and the guy who kept saying "peter marie" comes to mind) is my irrationally irritating movie moment.

I guess Prison Break is an exception, but if they had done all 4 seasons in a prison I would bet money they'd resort to the old talent show and/or play cliche eventually.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Don't forget the Oz "labyrinth".

Nermal.
Mar 16, 2003

Hello!
Two things that piss me off about the original Willy Wonka:

1. The opening scene where the kids get out of school and go to the candy shop. The shop owner lets the kids essentially throw their own sugar rave where he's literally chucking free candy at them, and can-barely-afford-a-loaf-of-bread-Charlie watches from the window. DUDE. GET IN THERE.

2. For Charlie's birthday, two of his grandpas pitched in and got him a Wonka bar. When he opens it, the mom looks flustered and says TWICE she doesn't approve of the idea, because it will get his hopes up. The grandparents are loving bedridden... Which means SHE was the one who had to go out and get the thing.... Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Squalitude posted:

Don't forget the Oz "labyrinth".

I forgot that. I just looked it back up and they could have at least tried to make it an actual maze. There's only one way to go and it's the way to the center, it would take a minute or two tops to "solve". How is that going to give you time to "meditate"?