Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Acknowledging that the Tomb of Horrors is a tournament-oriented series of gotchas that isn't really meant for casual play, what is a TSR-era module that's a traditional dungeon crawl that's "normally playable" without having to poke everything with 10 11-foot poles?

Also, is there a nice, recommended module series/campaign/adventure path that'll start characters at 1 and take them all the way to ... name level at least?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

For both of those, how about T1-4 The Temple of Elemental Evil?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Acknowledging that the Tomb of Horrors is a tournament-oriented series of gotchas that isn't really meant for casual play, what is a TSR-era module that's a traditional dungeon crawl that's "normally playable" without having to poke everything with 10 11-foot poles?

Also, is there a nice, recommended module series/campaign/adventure path that'll start characters at 1 and take them all the way to ... name level at least?

I think the normal accepted "adventure path" of AD&D is the Slaver's series, followed by Giants, Drow, and then finished with Queen of the Demon Web Pits

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Alhireth-Hotep posted:

For both of those, how about T1-4 The Temple of Elemental Evil?
Yeah, the Moathouse in particular is a great little intro. (Though the evil cleric is a killer fight if they don't level up by then...)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, the Moathouse in particular is a great little intro. (Though the evil cleric is a killer fight if they don't level up by then...)

Everytime I've played in a game that started that we got murdered by the loving frogs and called it quits.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Angrymog posted:

Everytime I've played in a game that started that we got murdered by the loving frogs and called it quits.
oooooh, yeah, forgot the frogs...

Yeah, frogs are murder

My party had real luck with die rolls a few years back, and beat them enough that they failed their morale rolls.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

In Search of the Unknown (B1) and The Keep on the Borderlands (B2) are both. . .interesting. They're both educational, but are very playstyle dependent.

B1 is just a fucker of a map, full of weird maze bullshit. If you're expecting mapping to be a big part of the challenge of your games it's a good one to drop on your players early to set expectations. I kind of hate it, but it's one of the classics.

B2 is pretty cool, but it only really works if you do a lot of prep beforehand and really think about the dynamics of the various factions living in the dungeon. It's pretty boring as a series of rooms that you walk through and kill monsters in, but it seems to be set up with the expectation that there's a lot of interplay between the factions, and that the actions the players take will result in the dynamics of the dungeon changing (sometimes drastically) between visits. It requires a lot of work and imagination from the person running it, but it's also kind of wonderful if you're willing to do that.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

OtspIII posted:

B1 is just a fucker of a map, full of weird maze bullshit. If you're expecting mapping to be a big part of the challenge of your games it's a good one to drop on your players early to set expectations. I kind of hate it, but it's one of the classics.
Mazes are one of the top things on my list of Things That Should But Really Don't Work At All in D&D.

I mean, what could be more archetypal? A labyrinth of twisty passages! What could be more dungeony!

In practice, it's just dull. It's just boring descriptions of distances and cardinal directions.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

remusclaw posted:

I think the normal accepted "adventure path" of AD&D is the Slaver's series, followed by Giants, Drow, and then finished with Queen of the Demon Web Pits
I havent looked at them in a loooong time, but yeah. It also changes things up enough that its not an endless slog through the same old (single, for months) thing. Easy to add in side stories with optional rules too. (Throwing some sea-time and ship navigation battle in the middle of the A's would be easy if I am remembering right.)

The DM will need to be very familiar with "whats really going on" to keep the narrative good though. Theres a lot of scene/direction shifts getting from the slavers to the abyss!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

OtspIII posted:

In Search of the Unknown (B1) and The Keep on the Borderlands (B2) are both. . .interesting. They're both educational, but are very playstyle dependent.

B2 is pretty cool, but it only really works if you do a lot of prep beforehand and really think about the dynamics of the various factions living in the dungeon. It's pretty boring as a series of rooms that you walk through and kill monsters in, but it seems to be set up with the expectation that there's a lot of interplay between the factions, and that the actions the players take will result in the dynamics of the dungeon changing (sometimes drastically) between visits. It requires a lot of work and imagination from the person running it, but it's also kind of wonderful if you're willing to do that.

Hackmaster's version of B2 is one of the best modules I've ever seen. It still requires a fair bit of GM prep and understanding of "what's really going on", but it's a non-linear module with a massive non-linear dungeon with many factions as it's centrepiece. It probably requires less imaginative work than the original because the factions and important NPCs have better motives and goals, but you'd still want to figure out what's changed after each visit by the PCs. I mean, if faction X and faction Y are looking for each others' weak spots and the PCs blow the doors off X's lair and slaughter half their troops, poo poo's gonna change. It also has several extra interesting things in/around/below the Keep itself that from memory aren't present in the original, as well as lots of ideas and hooks for other stuff that could be nearby.

Hackmaster's B1, on the other hand, is full of weird maze bullshit, only more so. I've run it twice. While the players probably won't notice, it's an absolute motherfucker for the GM to keep track of everything. I'm not a fan of maze dungeons, but in context of oldschool D&D I'm fine with the idea of the players loving up and getting lost. What I'm not fine with is a map so drat complicated that I, the GM, lose track of where the PCs actually are before they hit the teleport puzzle/trap/bullshit.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
Just gonna echo everyone saying that B1 is dog poo poo. I've tried to run it twice, once using Rules Cyclopedia Basic and once using Dungeon World. In both cases it fell flat and everyone hated it.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
The og undermountain box set is fair and trivial to convert to b/x or whatever. You can do it pro as nuts if you have the master box set or becmi. The avenger runs the board.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

dwarf74 posted:

Mazes are one of the top things on my list of Things That Should But Really Don't Work At All in D&D.

I mean, what could be more archetypal? A labyrinth of twisty passages! What could be more dungeony!

In practice, it's just dull. It's just boring descriptions of distances and cardinal directions.

Oh, yes, this is very frustrating. I feel like mazes don't deserve to fall into the category of things that video games just do better than rpgs.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you all very much for the suggestions!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Babylon Astronaut posted:

The og undermountain box set is fair and trivial to convert to b/x or whatever. You can do it pro as nuts if you have the master box set or becmi. The avenger runs the board.

If you want to get really silly about it, the entirety of B1 is in the first level of Undermountain, in the southern half.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I love undermountain as an inspiration, but never "actually used" it. (I had both boxes and the 3e addon I grabbed just to read through.)

I think the completionist in me hates the fact that its "just a part" of the entire thing and I never in my life had time to "create all of undermoutain".

(I did do crazy time-sink things like that on a smaller scale. I stole the premise and top layer of that intro 3e module (the ones with the goblins and kobolds fighting?), turned it into a 4 layer "lost elven temple to the old dragons" with a coherent stackable set of maps, played up several layers of monster politics/conflicts/territory, expanded the druid story to something more coherent, and used the "broken" lower level I added as an entrance to the underdark. Turned into a few months of games in 2e starting from character intros. I used to have a lot more free time :( )

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Arivia posted:

If you want to get really silly about it, the entirety of B1 is in the first level of Undermountain, in the southern half.
Yup. They even put the entirety of B1 on the map to make it consistent. They did a great job on the undermountain box. Never got the deeper levels box to my disappointment.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

gradenko_2000 posted:

Your first request is a bit difficult because most dungeons of this era reward caution and thoroughness, and Tomb is so lethal that everything else looks positively friendly in comparison. Like, I want to suggest Dancing Hut of Baba Yaga because it's cool, but it has some goofy rear end traps too - but it's no insta-death Tomb style stuff, and I think the theme of exploring Baba Yaga's interdimensional hut is worth it. But does that really meet your needs? It's a request I'll have to think about. As for now, I'll suggest an adventure I have run relatively recently and is somewhat fresh in my mind.

The Lost City: Red Nails for D&D. It can be a touch barebones, a few empty rooms but other than that the dungeon itself is great. The factions of decadent city dwellers are a great DM's tool. Plus it has plenty of room for expansion, there's an entire city at the bottom that is detailed in a rudimentary but still usable fashion. I ran a successful but sadly paused campaign here. I'd also suggest bumping the level requirement up one from what the book advises.

Oh and from memory, Haunted Halls of Eveningstar is worth a look at, but it's incomplete by design. It's like the first 2 levels of a megadungeon that never got finished, either because it just never happened or because they wanted you to flesh it out for yourself, I can't remember. Early FR was kind of like this, Sembia was intentionally left undeveloped so you could make your own country up for example. It has a lock lurker so watch out!

Campaign/adventure paths:

Night Below is a complete campaign designed to take level 1 characters to about 14. You might have to fiddle a bit to retain that if you use anything other than 2e. As a bonus it shows off non-drow Underdark stuff, focusing on aboleth, derro, svirfneblin, illithids and so on instead. It's also set in Genericland so it's easy enough to transfer to anywhere. Carl Sargent designed it, he's a cool guy

The U modules (Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, Danger at Dunwater and the Final Enemy) would make a good campaign but I don't think it would go as far as you want it to. You might be able to add Against the Cult of the Reptile God, they have some similar themes.

With a little work you could remove all the Heroes of the Lance railroad materials from the Dragonlance modules and do a new take, without any of the expectation that you're going to follow how the novels went. You could also file all the serial numbers off and put it in another world. Could be an interesting experiment.

Personally I want to take all the UK modules and make a campaign out of them.

Also not TSR but as for dungeons I like the Dark Tower and Caverns of Thracia and some of the OSR dungeons like Stonehell are cool. Some of the campaigns like Bone Hilt Sword are fun too. The problem with OSR adventures are figuring out what's just some guy's crappy version of B2, there are a shitton out there

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 23, 2016

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Lightning Lord posted:

The Lost City
Oh man, I totally forgot that existed. My memories of B3 and B4 are very hazy.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

Night Below is a complete campaign designed to take level 1 characters to about 14. You might have to fiddle a bit to retain that if you use anything other than 2e. As a bonus it shows off non-drow Underdark stuff, focusing on aboleth, derro, svirfneblin, illithids and so on instead. It's also set in Genericland so it's easy enough to transfer to anywhere. Carl Sargent designed it, he's a cool guy

Aw yeah, seconding this. Night Below is awesome. :dance:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FRINGE posted:

Oh man, I totally forgot that existed. My memories of B3 and B4 are very hazy.
It's seriously one of the best modules of all time. It could easily become the seed for a huge campaign.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
I had B1 through B4 when I was a kid, but never saw B5+. Anyone have any opinions on those?
Same with X. I only had X1 and X2, never read the rest. (edit - X11 is a pretty famous cover!)

I was looking through the list here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons_modules

... and saw that the L series was continued for free here by the original author: http://www.dragonsfoot.org/links/

I never read the L series, but that link has a bunch of 1e/2e stuff for free so I figured Id pass it along here.

Also looks like this guy sells a lot of used original DnD stuff for people that like in-print:
http://www.waynesbooks.com/DDModulesBseries.html
http://www.waynesbooks.com/DDModulesXseries.html

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Huh.

He even has the PC series in case you want to bring in flying gnome cities and a gnome air-force with actual planes.
http://www.waynesbooks.com/CreatureCrucible.html

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Comrade Koba posted:

Aw yeah, seconding this. Night Below is awesome. :dance:

I bought Night Below from a guy on Craigslist years back but never ran it. Maybe someday, but we're currently having fun with our Beyond the Wall game and planning a Fallout game of some sort.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
So, anyone have any experience with this big book of B/X style classes?
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/148348/Class-Compendium?src=DotDem

It's on daily sale, and I love goofy piles of character options, but I don't want to spend 5$ on "this wizard gets +1 damage to fire spells but -1 damage to all other elemental spells."

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

LeSquide posted:

So, anyone have any experience with this big book of B/X style classes?
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/148348/Class-Compendium?src=DotDem

It's on daily sale, and I love goofy piles of character options, but I don't want to spend 5$ on "this wizard gets +1 damage to fire spells but -1 damage to all other elemental spells."

It's a bit more different than that. It's more like the extra classes that came in the gazettes, way back when. Dwarfen Runesmith, Halfling Burglar, etc. It seems alright, haven't played a game with any of the classes yet.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

gradenko_2000 posted:

Most of them, really. I mean, there's always traps, but there are very few that are total screw-fests like S1. Even the other S-series mods are mostly "fair". In addition to the ones mentioned already, Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan and Lost Caverns of Tsjocanth are pretty popular. The latter one is half hexcrawl/half dungeon. Almost all the B-series for basic are straight dungeon crawls, and although its not TSR, per-se, I've been reading the Judges Guild module Caverns of Thracia, by Paul Jaquays this past week, and it's fantastic.

quote:

As everyone's said, it goes: T-A-G-D-Q. They're all interconnected (Lolth and the Drow are behind everything, the elemental cults, the slavers and the giants).

For B/X, its a little less clear, but you could certainly get some mileage out of starting with the Lost City, and then somehow getting to Master of the Desert Nomads and Temple of Death, but I guess you'd have to figure out a way to fill the 3-ish levels between B4 and X4 by expanding the City at the end of B4 or tossing in a side-journey to the Isle of Dread or something (as if an Isle of Dread side-quest could possibly be a bad thing).

Davedog
Sep 11, 2009
For B/X I have always had success using the omnibus "In Search of Adventure" which is a streamlined and condensed B-series that interconnects the modules with little segues in between adventures. It has three separate paths you can choose and really pulls together the series nicely. After that, I usually run X1 (Isle of Dread), because I love it and that adventure (and B2, really) is a fond nostalgia trip for me. After X1, any of the rest of the X-series will do, with my favorites being X2 (Castle Amber) and X4 (Master of the Desert Nomads). Does anyone know if they did an X-series omnibus like they did for B, A and G/D/Q?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

St0rmD posted:

Most of them, really. I mean, there's always traps, but there are very few that are total screw-fests like S1.
S1 isn't much of a screw job if the party gets the poem tho. It's a comprehensive walk through. Like the dungeon's Konami code.

VacuumJockey
Jun 6, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Would posting about Pits & Perils be OK here, or is that for the indie thread? P&P is all about emulating old school fantasy, but it does not involve D20s at all...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Pits and Perils is certainly an OSR/old-school game. :justpost:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

VacuumJockey posted:

Would posting about Pits & Perils be OK here, or is that for the indie thread? P&P is all about emulating old school fantasy, but it does not involve D20s at all...

No worries, mate. OSR isn't limited to d20s only.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

One of my gaming friends is trying to put together a Fallout game, but http://falloutpnp.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page is kind of lovely because any idiot can go in and make changes and they obviously have been. I also found http://www.fallout.ru/projects/pnp/fallout_pnp_2.0.pdf but when I look at the combat section, where your to-hit consists of: Base - Range - Lighting condition - Enemy's Armor Class - Enemy's Cover +/- Extra bonus' (or minus penalties) - Targeted Shot (if applicable) and I just start laughing.

Anyone recommend a decent ruleset for Fallout? Free is nice but not required. I'm considering taking that PDF version and starting with a very stripped-down version of the combat, but if there's a good rule set somewhere else that I'm missing I'd like to take a look.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'd just as soon use Mutant Future or Other Dust. I played Fallout PNP a long long time ago, and that version really suffered from trying to adapt the SPECIAL system right back into tabletop but without a computer doing the work for you.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There's also Encounter Critical, or the D&D 4th Edition-based Gamma World 7th Edition

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

I think I finally found that one player dungeon crawl I'd been looking for and what I remembered of it were apparently the hallucinations of a mad man.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/109821/Ruins-of-the-Undercity

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So I'm looking for an osr elfgame that isn't possessed of percentage based insanity, differing xp for level per class nonsense and such. Does such a thing exist?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Depending on what you mean by "percentage-based insanity", sure.

I mean, third edition AD&D went pretty light on the d% for one. :v:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

NewMars posted:

So I'm looking for an osr elfgame that isn't possessed of percentage based insanity, differing xp for level per class nonsense and such. Does such a thing exist?

I'm pretty sure there's quite a few, although there is a good reason for different classes having different XP requirements, makes it easier to balance them, of the core four Magic-Users level the slowest, while Thieves level the fastest, although it gets a little weird as sometimes Clerics end up leveling faster than Fighters do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Hey now, there's no need for such insinuations. It's just that I am rather looking for a game where a single combat doesn't take all day, without making everything else take proportionally longer with such things as attribute based xp adjustment and having an individual table-based mechanic for every single mechanical foible.

• Locked thread