Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

put a polite note requesting surrender on each food packet

I'm fairly sure I've read somewhere that this has been used semi successfully? It's no a far cry from dropping propaganda leaflets on soldiers saying "we treat our prisoners well!", though I suppose you don't also then drop weapons and ammunition too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

lenoon posted:

I'm fairly sure I've read somewhere that this has been used semi successfully? It's no a far cry from dropping propaganda leaflets on soldiers saying "we treat our prisoners well!", though I suppose you don't also then drop weapons and ammunition too.

I imagine nobody in Imperial Japan would want to risk being ratted out to the secret police in such a scenario sadly.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
By that metric, North Korea should have given up their dictatorship and replaced Juche with glorious free market democracy like ten years ago.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Those african warlords as well

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

All your population being fed by the people you are at war would be a bit embarrassing for a government. Weird situation to imagine. "Here's your can of SPAM, now go out there and Kamikaze those fuckers"

xthetenth posted:

Pity you can't compress nutrition the way you can explosive power.

Imagine how fat we would be if someone figured out how to put gigacalories into, say, a Snickers-sized package

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

All your population being fed by the people you are at war would be a bit embarrassing for a government. Weird situation to imagine. "Here's your can of SPAM, now go out there and Kamikaze those fuckers"

Dear people,

The vile enemy is dropping poisoned food packages to kill our civilian population. Please do not eat these. We will send people to collect and destroy the food packages.

Your government

Then repackage and redistribute the food, sending most to your soldiers and the people at the top.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

xthetenth posted:

I made another post about warship design.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3731563&pagenumber=47#post464438466

It's about these beauties:

(should I be cross-posting these to this thread or just linking to them?)

Hah, right off the top of my head I recognize the books you took every fact in that post from.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Boy we did some weird stuff to battleships before everyone finally settled on superfiring turrets.

Keep doing ship design posts xthetenth. I love reading those things.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Hah, right off the top of my head I recognize the books you took every fact in that post from.

Yeah, I'm pretty much posting straight from Friedman's illustrated design histories for them, and who with an interest in the subject and university library access doesn't know them? That's also why I'm actually posting at a reasonable pace.

If you've got stuff you'd like to add, that'd be amazing, I'm just a dilettante.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

xthetenth posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty much posting straight from Friedman's illustrated design histories for them, and who with an interest in the subject and university library access doesn't know them? That's also why I'm actually posting at a reasonable pace.

If you've got stuff you'd like to add, that'd be amazing, I'm just a dilettante.

I own most of Norman Friedman's warship design books, and I've met him a few times. Very interesting man to talk too.

Just Reilly and Scheina's American Battleships 1886-1923 and McBride's rather wretched book on naval development, plus a bunch of contemporary articles pulled from Google Books.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

aphid_licker posted:

"Look at how brilliant we are, we managed to trick the yankee devils into delivering food for us! Praise to your cunning government."

Pretty sure I said exactly the same thing when that thread's discussion came up the last time but this is, incidentally, pretty much how it goes down in North Korea whenever there's a UN food shipment.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Tias posted:

Oh okay. I heard people with (real or imagined) cossack lineage dress up like soldiers with garish bling all the time, my bad.

That happens too, but cossack bling is different.

Edit: like this

The highlighted medal says "happy birthday"

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 21, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
central asians don't need to imitate cossacks for when they want historical bling, they have enough of that on their own

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Koramei posted:

central asians don't need to imitate cossacks for when they want historical bling, they have enough of that on their own

Yeah imitating cossaks sounds like a downgrade when you come from a region that's well known for burning down empires for the glory of Tengri

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I own most of Norman Friedman's warship design books, and I've met him a few times. Very interesting man to talk too.

Just Reilly and Scheina's American Battleships 1886-1923 and McBride's rather wretched book on naval development, plus a bunch of contemporary articles pulled from Google Books.

I bet he is, I'm super jealous.

You'd recommend Reilly and Scheina if I can get my hands on it? I may have to do that even if I'm already blatantly overflowing my book storage capacity.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

MikeCrotch posted:

Jeez, the WWII Debate thread in D&D is like the bizarro MilHist thread. It's Gay Black Hitlers all the way down, nobody has evidence to back up anything and the points don't matter.

It got better.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Boiled Water posted:

Even if you could drop all the food how would it lead to surrender? I'm imagining "drop food -> ??? -> surrender".

It's essentially the strategic bombing thesis (viz. bomb the civillian population enough and their nerve will break and they will force the government to surrender) but with food instead of bombs.

Tias posted:

By that metric, North Korea should have given up their dictatorship and replaced Juche with glorious free market democracy like ten years ago.

Because I'm sorta obsessed with airships, I've imagined what it would be like to fly airship drones over the DPRK and drop food packets saying "THE WEST HAS NOT FORGOTTEN YOU!!" and do stuff to destabilize further the regime, like include astronomy notes to make the regime deny the truth of astronomy, etc. DPRK literally threatened war when Nork refugees started doing this with balloons, so I can only imagine what they'd do with surreptitious food/media drops

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

Even if you could drop all the food how would it lead to surrender? I'm imagining "drop food -> ??? -> surrender".

Thousand-bomber raids of max-load B-29s, round-the-clock.

Frozen turkeys.

Lt. General Lester Nessman, USAAF :smug:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

cheerfullydrab posted:

It got better.

You've said this a few times so I went to check it out. Well the last five pages.

Is it ever not gay black Hitler hypotheticals?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60IFLPBmdW0&t=98s

Most mine flails spin the other way AFAIK, I'm sure they just run this one that way because it looks cooler.

I also have to think that someone tried using those as anti-infantry weapons in the second world war, you'd run the gently caress away if you saw that thing coming at you.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

OwlFancier posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60IFLPBmdW0&t=98s

Most mine flails spin the other way AFAIK, I'm sure they just run this one that way because it looks cooler.
Hadn't thought about it until now, but might it be because throwing unexploded landmines away from you is generally considered a good idea?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

darthbob88 posted:

Hadn't thought about it until now, but might it be because throwing unexploded landmines away from you is generally considered a good idea?

Well yes I would have thought so but still they do generally spin towards the vehicle, though that might be because I think a lot of the second world war designs took their power off the front wheels of the tank and they didn't bother installing a reverse gear. Possibly also because the tank might have trouble moving with the flails going the other way, if it's also running the flail off the main engine. Modern mine clearance vehicles are more bespoke, or more heavily modified so they work a bit better.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 21, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

xthetenth posted:

I bet he is, I'm super jealous.

You'd recommend Reilly and Scheina if I can get my hands on it? I may have to do that even if I'm already blatantly overflowing my book storage capacity.

It's a good complement to Friedman's chapter on American predreadnoughts, but I'd recommend skimming through it at a library before you decide to buy it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

It's a good complement to Friedman's chapter on American predreadnoughts, but I'd recommend skimming through it at a library before you decide to buy it.

Okay, I think I'll put it on the grand list of things to buy if/when I get to them. I'm much better about getting things from that list than about reading them already, and I'm probably not going to be doing an in depth study of US predreads any time soon.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Cyrano4747 posted:

You've said this a few times so I went to check it out. Well the last five pages.

Is it ever not gay black Hitler hypotheticals?

I guess I should probably stop saying it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

cheerfullydrab posted:

I guess I should probably stop saying it.

Don't get me wrong if it isn't 24/7 arguing about whether dropping the a bomb was worse than the Holocaust or merely equivalent its a huge step up.

Duck I bookmarked it so maybe I'll drop something. In the other hand I've had bad experiences with dnd. If it's the same posters and moderation I might not last long.

Efit: my timers care for hypotheticals about alt host is basically zero so if I came off grumpy that's part of it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

xthetenth, if you enjoy Rule The Waves I would recommend From The Depths to you, if you like building model lego battleships then it's a really fun game.

Especially if you like building model lego battleships as envisioned by the wunderwaffen design bureau.

"I'm not happy with the speed of this battleship so let's replace the rear turrets with rocket engines."

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

xthetenth, if you enjoy Rule The Waves I would recommend From The Depths to you, if you like building model lego battleships then it's a really fun game.

I have it already. It's not something I've been able to get into though, the wrong kind of fiddly. Might just be that I haven't given it enough time though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

xthetenth posted:

I have it already. It's not something I've been able to get into though, the wrong kind of fiddly. Might just be that I haven't given it enough time though.

That's true, it's very fiddly.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

darthbob88 posted:

Could be, though with the kind of force that it is exerting on the ground I wouldn't think that any mines that didn't yet explode ever would. But just look at how much dirt it's kicking up! If it was flailing the other way, it would be buried inside a mound of dirt very quick.

Although I guess the proper engineering solution to that problem would be to install a turbofan on top of the vehicle, to blow all dirt back :q:

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 21, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Don't get me wrong if it isn't 24/7 arguing about whether dropping the a bomb was worse than the Holocaust or merely equivalent its a huge step up.

This is what I meant when I said "better".

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Hey guys, do you sometimes wonder whether studying history has a point (I know I asked myself that during the third semester)? Well, at least HEY GAL and other people studying 17th century can breathe more freely now, because the German foreign minister just said that Syria needs a Peace of Westphalia of its own (only in German, I'm afraid). Gonna save the world with our mad old stuff-reading skills :cool:

(but seriously, the Peace of Westphalia is actually a pretty good analogy as far as these things go)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the various who's-attacking-whom flowcharts from syria look reeeeeal familiar

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

the various who's-attacking-whom flowcharts from syria look reeeeeal familiar

I found one but it's just yes circled repeatedly and written in a few different languages, with some of them crossed out and rewritten?

Alternately are you sure Wikipedia edit war veterans aren't similarly well equipped?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hunterhr posted:

From pages back but I did this too. :v:

Now I'm feeling left out since I'm the only one of us three without an American Football avatar. Probably because I am a Brit with no interest in sports.

americong
May 29, 2013

got my copy of myth of the eastern front, just a couple dozen pages in but the writing is really clear/easy to follow for a relatively serious book

I got pretty excited going through the preface and beginning to understand that a major point of the book is "why wehraboos and grognards are bad"

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I am not seeing the discussion in the DnD thread about their mythical Operation Food Drop, but is the idea we mine their ports as we actually did to cut off all shipping, allow them to starve a bit then stand back and strategically try to drop food for Good Civilians and not for Bad Military?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Yvonmukluk posted:

Now I'm feeling left out since I'm the only one of us three without an American Football avatar. Probably because I am a Brit with no interest in sports.

Aw, and you're in a position to appreciate proper football, too!

On that note, let's take a moment to appreciate the Football War, because of course there was one and of course it was in south America!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

MrMojok posted:

I am not seeing the discussion in the DnD thread about their mythical Operation Food Drop, but is the idea we mine their ports as we actually did to cut off all shipping, allow them to starve a bit then stand back and strategically try to drop food for Good Civilians and not for Bad Military?

Despite the maths making it impossible, even if you could drop all the food how would you make sure the secret police didn't confiscate it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Boiled Water posted:

Despite the maths making it impossible, even if you could drop all the food how would you make sure the secret police didn't confiscate it?

At least partly, because the secret police can't be everywhere.