Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Keep up the good work Google :haw:
https://twitter.com/RonAmadeo/status/778470188156981254

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

:allears:

This is just gorgeous.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I guess Allo isn't supported by tablets now according to Google (why???? is implementing landscape that hard???)
https://twitter.com/RonAmadeo/status/778473252691726336

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

ahahahahah

This is some amateur hour poo poo from Google

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'd really like to know your secret. Mine is so choppy and laggy I often just give up using it and put it away, various apps crash daily, I'm lucky to get 2 hours screen on time with the battery, it overheats often to the point where it's uncomfortable to hold, and the camera might be able to get 2 HDR shots in a row before stopping to process. I have not rooted or done anything funny other than enable the system UI tuner menu.

e: oh and yeah, the bluetooth is the worst of any device I've used. Music randomly cuts out for seconds at a time, etc

Exchange it. That is not a normal 6P.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Do I have a normal 5x though?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Ron Amadeo is a cool guy, btw.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

WhyteRyce posted:

I guess Allo isn't supported by tablets now according to Google (why???? is implementing landscape that hard???)
https://twitter.com/RonAmadeo/status/778473252691726336

Google, just stop. Google. stop. Google?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Exchange it. That is not a normal 6P.

I will try a factory reset first as I have not done one, but it's good to know this behaviour isn't normal. Thanks.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

WhyteRyce posted:

Is there an actual reason why Google is incapable of making something similar to iMessage other than being stubborn? Why did they remove combined SMS conversations in Hangouts if they weren't going to replace the functionality in the new app?

I can only imagine that Google still exist in a reality circa 2004 where only Those loving Hipsters use iToys because they're sheep who buy shiny new devices like the ads say like good sheeple :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bah! Look at those idiots enjoying seamless messaging across all their devices (that works with their friends on other platforms, too). They don't even have an AI to show local restaurant reviews and start countdown timers in THEIR device's messaging client!!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

spincube posted:

I can only imagine that Google still exist in a reality circa 2004 where only Those loving Hipsters use iToys because they're sheep who buy shiny new devices like the ads say like good sheeple :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bah! Look at those idiots enjoying seamless messaging across all their devices (that works with their friends on other platforms, too). They don't even have an AI to show local restaurant reviews and start countdown timers in THEIR device's messaging client!!

I'm downloading Allo right now and the only reason is to see how far I can get it to talk to itself with another account.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

spincube posted:

This is funny, I don't think this is the case since iPhones are quite common among Google workers.

Windows PCs are supposedly pretty rare, however.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

This is funny, I don't think this is the case since iPhones are quite common among Google workers.

Windows PCs are supposedly pretty rare, however.

My solution is simply to take a few school bullies and let them loose at Google; every single six-figgy Epic Coding Ninja Rockstar who's too busy huffing their own Silicon Valley-flavoured farts to dirty their fingers and touch the world's dominant desktop computing platform, gets spitballs flicked at the back of their head and their complaints parroted back at them in falsetto! until compliance is achieved.

[e] I'm currently using Twilight to save my eyes at night, but wasn't Nougat supposed to include a Night Mode toggle?

spincube fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 21, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

spincube posted:

My solution is simply to take a few school bullies and let them loose at Google; every single six-figgy Epic Coding Ninja Rockstar who's too busy huffing their own Silicon Valley-flavoured farts to dirty their fingers and touch the world's dominant desktop computing platform, gets spitballs flicked at the back of their head and their complaints parroted back at them in falsetto! until compliance is achieved.
As far as Windows goes, it's a company mandate, not (necessarily) choice.

1-Up
Aug 8, 2007

Just recently bough Honor 8 (for the equivalent of $250) and got me thinking, does Marshmallow have any anti-theft functions without root?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

1-Up posted:

Just recently bough Honor 8 (for the equivalent of $250) and got me thinking, does Marshmallow have any anti-theft functions without root?

Android Device Manager?

1-Up
Aug 8, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Android Device Manager?
I though they had something new, my old phone was kitkat(!). ADM can be removed with a factory reset and the new "factory reset protection" seems to be pointless since it too can also be removed (without root even).

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

spincube posted:

[e] I'm currently using Twilight to save my eyes at night, but wasn't Nougat supposed to include a Night Mode toggle?

It was, and does, but they hid it for some reason. You can use Night Mode Enabler to get it to show back up. Took a lot of fiddling with the app and settings before I got it working.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I asked him if, as an engineer; he cared to speculate what tradeoffs Apple made to iMessenger to allow multi-device support. :ironicat:

I'll let you know when I get blocked a reply.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Another 6p without problems user reporting in. Smooth a butta, fast as heck. I'm moving soon so I let my wired internet lapse until I'm in my new place, so it's also been serving as my home router (which does drain the battery noticeably faster).

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
What does Allo mean for Hangouts?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mister Macys posted:

I asked him if, as an engineer; he cared to speculate what tradeoffs Apple made to iMessenger to allow multi-device support. :ironicat:

I'll let you know when I get blocked a reply.

This is the reason I'm stuck with Apple. I am curious about the new pixel, and I like how cheap the Axon 7 is... I want to be able to switch from IOS... but iMessage. I got an iPad and MacBook Pro. Seamless messaging is super important to me. If Google can't figure out how to do it, I guess I'll get a new iPhone in Winter.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

mango sentinel posted:

What does Allo mean for Hangouts?

Let's move Allo talk to the App thread!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I wish Nougat would make my ambient/adaptive/whatever display suck much less rear end on my 6p

Why even offer this as a feature, it takes a full 5 seconds to respond to lighting changes.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Tatsuta Age posted:

I wish Nougat would make my ambient/adaptive/whatever display suck much less rear end on my 6p

Why even offer this as a feature, it takes a full 5 seconds to respond to lighting changes.

My lovely Asus tablet's ambient display is both slow and too sensitive. If I'm reading in bed with the lights off, it will turn constantly turn the display up and down, belatedly reacting to the reflected light of the display itself. I had to turn the whole thing off.

It sucks cause I got the tablet solely for reading comics and adaptive display was one of the features that I wanted cause changing the brightness on my old Nook was a huge pain.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This green battery icon :laffo:

e: vvvvv lmao for real? Samsung Canada's exchange program told me on the phone to keep all the accessories, even the S-Pen, and just return the bad phone in the provided box.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 21, 2016

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Reading the note 7 subreddit and the Verizon exchange process is pretty infuriating. They will strip accessories from box if you don't bring them back and the craziest is people having to pay more tax on exchange.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I will try a factory reset first as I have not done one, but it's good to know this behaviour isn't normal. Thanks.

Try clearing cache from recovery first. Do a factory reset if that doesn't work.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Reading the note 7 subreddit and the Verizon exchange process is pretty infuriating. They will strip accessories from box if you don't bring them back and the craziest is people having to pay more tax on exchange.

It's almost like Samsung is bad and you shouldn't have bought one in the first place.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

It's almost like Samsung is bad and you shouldn't have bought one in the first place.

That's a Verizon thing, not a Samsung thing. I'm doing my exchange directly with Samsung and I get to keep all my accessories.

I don't get this thread sometimes. There's so much legit stuff to poo poo on Samsung for, you don't need to exaggerate or make things up, you have enough ammo.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's a Verizon thing, not a Samsung thing. I'm doing my exchange directly with Samsung and I get to keep all my accessories.

I don't get this thread sometimes. There's so much legit stuff to poo poo on Samsung for, you don't need to exaggerate or make things up, you have enough ammo.

At risk of rehashing THE SAME loving ARGUMENT OVER AND OVER AGAIN, Samsung is choosing to have Verizon do their exchanging in the US, therefore it is Samsung's fault?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

At risk of rehashing THE SAME loving ARGUMENT OVER AND OVER AGAIN, Samsung is choosing to have Verizon do their exchanging in the US, therefore it is Samsung's fault?

You can't blame a carrier's shittiness on Samsung. Samsung doesn't decide how Verizon handles things like returns and exchanges.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CLAM DOWN posted:

You can't blame a carrier's shittiness on Samsung. Samsung doesn't decide how Verizon handles things like returns and exchanges.

Samsung made the decision to involve the carriers in the first place, so

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

If Samsung had gone with using Rogers here for the exchange/recall, and Rogers hosed it up like they definitely would because they're the perfect combo of greedy and incompetent, I would not blame Samsung, I would blame Rogers. So I guess, keep on keeping on.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Let's move Allo talk to the App thread!

Disagree. The concept for the app is SO BAD it truly affects the whole ecosystem of android. This is going to be the full stop SMS replacement moving forward.

http://www.gsma.com/network2020/technology/rcs/

incoherent fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 22, 2016

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Boy these pixel phones are really looking underwhelming.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/21/googles-pixel-phones-will-be-ip53-rated-meaning-no-dunking-your-pixel-or-hosing-it-down/

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
I have no idea where the cost of those things is coming from. It has to be something, right?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I saw an article that had the actual recall numbers in them.

Canada had a whopping 22,000 Note 7 devices to swap nationwide vs over 1 million in the US.

Scale absolutely is the issue. It's almost as if Samsung doesn't employ enough support infrastructure in larger countries.

Here's what appears to be happening.

Samsung is not issuing recall inventory, they are just issuing out new fixed inventory to the carriers to do with as they see fit. Because of the recall, the return policy is basically extended indefinitely.

So, Note 7 owners are doing retail exchanges at stores. Due to the way sales tax works, the tax rate is fixed a the retail location the sale is made. If the person originally purchased online, the sales tax would have been fixed to their home address. When they go do a retail swap, the sales tax is based on the location of the store. That's not something Verizon has control over, it's state sales tax law.

So, Samsung is approaching the recall by stuffing the sales channel in the US with revised Note 7s, hoping to cover new inventory and recall inventory all at once. By taking that approach, Samsung is forcing customers to undergo a retail exchange on devices (essentially returning and re-purchasing) with all the pitfalls that entails.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 22, 2016

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
https://reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/53tbrs/grip_tape_on_black_iphone_7/

(Not me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

this triggers me

incoherent fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 22, 2016