Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Even notwithstanding the effects of the tank damage nerf (although that really didn't help matters with low level threat which was already a bit of a struggle), I'd say tanking probably has the steepest initial learning curve of the three roles for a newbie - especially when it comes to holding aggro, especially on more than just one mob. But I also think it ends up being the easiest role once you've gotten used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
On the other hand, it's Halatali. It's a pre-30 dungeon. Any role can effectively be the tank without negatively impacting progress.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ilifinicus posted:

the overall damage nerf to tanks also impacted their ability to hold threat in lower levels, to nobody's surprise

The bad tanks who can't hold threat weren't the ones wearing full STR before the nerf.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Creator gear.

Dunno how I feel about the healer coat, it's kinda hard to judge right now since it's on a popoto. Caster coat is neat though.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

The bad tanks who can't hold threat weren't the ones wearing full STR before the nerf.
no but I'm saying that as someone who does know how to tank, I struggle _severely_ in low level things if I end up with people who know how to push buttons and it was never a problem before the nerf

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Saigyouji posted:

Creator gear.

Dunno how I feel about the healer coat, it's kinda hard to judge right now since it's on a popoto. Caster coat is neat though.

i'm digging the tank set

the drk sword looks dumb, but in a way that i really want it

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yep, digging that tank set hardcore. Tuesday can't come soon enough.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Reminds me of a black and white version of the poetics gear.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
It'd be nice if healers actually got a hat from raiding for once, instead of hoods and tiaras.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I leveled all my tanks via ldr, after the nerf, never had big issues holding aggro. And I'm a really lazy person with having up to date gear.

Yeah, it's way harder than it should be, and sometimes you'll lose aggro on a guy for more than a couple GCDs, but it's also low level dungeons so it doesn't matter. Hell, maybe it's even good it's that way. Better to make people work for their threat at low levels so they're familiar with what is going on by the time it matters.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
putting all three new gearsets in one post for comparison purposes

Tomestone gear:

Alexander Creator gear:

Crafted gear:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
And dragoon continues their streak of only bad gear

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm glad healer / caster gears are no longer just palette swaps of each other.

Have they shown / said what dungeon gear looks like? I'm assuming since it's an even numbered patch, they're just doing a color change on an old gearset like 3.2 did.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I like that the crafted weapons are recolored Aery weapons, if only because it means I can dump the Svalin and Dainslaif and just craft the 250s if I ever want to use them for glamour again.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 21, 2016

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

seiferguy posted:

Have they shown / said what dungeon gear looks like? I'm assuming since it's an even numbered patch, they're just doing a color change on an old gearset like 3.2 did.

This is the dungeon gear. It's recolored stuff like you said.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

seiferguy posted:

There is a picture of them around, but they are just color swaps of various old gear (Vault and 3.1 dungeons mainly).

e: yea that clown poo poo above

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

cheetah7071 posted:

And dragoon continues their streak of only bad gear

Yeah, well... DRG at least has the best AF gearset in the game :shobon:

Gizmo Chicken posted:

This is the dungeon gear. It's recolored stuff like you said.

That's disappointing. They didn't even include the best vault stuff (the tank gear, seriously that set is amazing), or the 3.1 stuff (the Plague Doctor / Bringer set. Until I find a better set, my caster will always wear the Plague Bringer set).

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Fister Roboto posted:

all those str stacking level 18 paladins in copperbell

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
After days of no one biting for a diadem PF group and days of waiting in DF queue without it popping once, one of the FC airships finally came back and i got someone to drop me off there.

But the time limit was 30 minutes which, uh... doesn't seem right. Do small groups get less time or something?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

HenryEx posted:

After days of no one biting for a diadem PF group and days of waiting in DF queue without it popping once, one of the FC airships finally came back and i got someone to drop me off there.

But the time limit was 30 minutes which, uh... doesn't seem right. Do small groups get less time or something?

Easy mode only gets 30 minutes. Normal and hard have longer time limits.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

troofs posted:

If the tank with worse gear can survive maintanking the boss, wouldn't it be better anyway? That way the tank with the better gear can spend more time DPSing. I have never tanked anything above 4-man so I have no idea what it is like.

As pointed out earlier, one of the common things that happens is that the bettered geared tank has better gear and manages to pull threat while DPSing. This is most common with WARs due to fell cleave but can sometimes happen when a PLD tries to help with debuffs and incorporates Halone into their DPS combo instead of dispensing Royal Authority nonstop.

The thing that's absolutely most likely to happen though, is that DPS with equivalent gear to the better geared tank are going to rip threat from the lesser geared tank. This'll force the best geared tank to MT simply because they're the only one who can. Less geared tanks can still put out decent DPS after all.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 21, 2016

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

As a WAR, there are few things in the game that anger me more than accidentally pulling aggro from the other tank. Mostly because it always happens right before the boss does a cleave attack. It happened again on Nidhogg Normal during duty roulette yesterday.

I make a point of always popping Unchained when pulling as main tank so that doesn't happen and I'm allowed to stack on Storm's Eyes or even outright switch to Deliverance without worrying about a crazy BLM/BRD/MCH.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 21, 2016

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Isn't it pretty normal to pull with berserk/unchained? My tank gear is rpetty lovely and I've literally never lost aggro on a boss when infuriate/berserk/unchained were all up during the pull.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

I don't usually use Berserk for the initial pull. My initial pull combo is Unchained > Tomahawk > Tomahawk > Butcher's Block Combo > Butcher's Block Combo. That way I can go straight into a Berserk Triple Cleave without worrying about losing aggro.

Granted, I probably should be using Berserk for the bosses that do those dumb LOL I'M INVINCIBLE NOW things shortly after pulling, though. I'M LOOKING AT YOU, NIDHOGG.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 21, 2016

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Chemistry.

I'm gonna make 'em gently caress.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

SL the Pyro posted:

I don't usually use Berserk for the initial pull. My initial pull combo is Unchained > Tomahawk > Tomahawk > Butcher's Block Combo > Butcher's Block Combo. That way I can go straight into a Berserk Triple Cleave without worrying about losing aggro.

Granted, I probably should be using Berserk for the bosses that do those dumb LOL I'M INVINCIBLE NOW things shortly after pulling, though. I'M LOOKING AT YOU, NIDHOGG.

I'm pretty sure Overpower has a higher threat coefficient even single-target and should be used in any situation where the difference between 8 and 15 yards doesn't matter (i.e. everything).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Here's a full large screenshot dump someone posted on reddit:

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
I actually really dig how clean the PVP Spectator UI is. I think the inclusion of everyones Purify cooldown timer is kinda awful though. Could lead to some dumb ghosting.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
It's me, I'm excited for this.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's me, I'm excited for this.

I'm excited for both it and platoons squadrons.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Someone explain Wondrous Tails for me? I can't seem to find a good description of what it actually is.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

it's an extension of the challenge log, with an RNG element involved to the rewards and the objectives

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Augus posted:

Someone explain Wondrous Tails for me? I can't seem to find a good description of what it actually is.

I heard you like challenge logs so we put in a challenge log for your challenge log!

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Augus posted:

You're presented with a set of (weekly, IIRC) random challenges on a bingo board and you get rewards for getting lines/filling it in.
These challenges can be stuff like "do an under-49 dungeon" or they can be "clear x Ex Primal" or "clear Final Coil (this might just be a specific floor)".
You can use certain points to reshuffle the positions of the challenges or unclear something to mark something else as cleared. You get these points from stuff like running content with newbies, I think.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

hobbesmaster posted:

I heard you like challenge logs so we put in a challenge log for your challenge log!

It also has stickers! Everyone loves stickers!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

jellycat posted:

You're presented with a set of (weekly, IIRC) random challenges on a bingo board and you get rewards for getting lines/filling it in.
These challenges can be stuff like "do an under-49 dungeon" or they can be "clear x Ex Primal" or "clear Final Coil (this might just be a specific floor)".
You can use certain points to reshuffle the positions of the challenges or unclear something to mark something else as cleared. You get these points from stuff like running content with newbies, I think.

That might be useful for people like me who haven't played all of the old content yet, cool

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

No challenge log entry ever rewarded me with 60 of the newest tomestones or 500 of the older ones :neckbeard: I am excited for these

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Wondrous Tails is gonna own.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

drunk asian neighbor posted:

No challenge log entry ever rewarded me with 60 of the newest tomestones or 500 of the older ones :neckbeard: I am excited for these

Anything that accelerates the rate I get the currency that buys Umbrite is ok in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I hope it has a wind-up miqote kitten as a minion

• Locked thread