Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
They couldn't fit Vision and Wonder Man in the panel; they were villains for five minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pastry of the Year posted:

This got me thinking: how many Marvel-616 villains (I haven't read through Secret Wars yet :smith:) reformed and had it stick?

Uh... Prowler.......

Uh........

Mockingbird.....

I'm sure there's more.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Is Emma Frost still a good guy?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Magneto's been a principled anti-hero for a long rear end time, but that's also been on-and-off since the 80s and a lot of people might not consider him to ever be a "hero."

Plus it does feel inevitable that a new writer will have him go back to being a pure bad guy sooner rather than later.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Oh, and my old pal Silver Surfer, of course. Does Adam Warlock count as "making it stick?"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
No one's said the original Thunderbolts minus Zemo yet?

Mover posted:

Magneto's been a principled anti-hero for a long rear end time, but that's also been on-and-off since the 80s and a lot of people might not consider him to ever be a "hero."

Plus it does feel inevitable that a new writer will have him go back to being a pure bad guy sooner rather than later.

It has been ridiculously long for that kind of thing, though, even if it's limited to 616 comics and the rest of the media hasn't really adapted any of it. (although the way the 90s animated series ended, it could count retroactively) Imagine if Superman was dead for as long as Magneto has been a hero.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh, and my old pal Silver Surfer, of course. Does Adam Warlock count as "making it stick?"

Adam Warlock doesn't feel like a "hero" most of the time. He's a super powered dude who keeps getting dragged into situations, not a guy that goes out of his way to to do good.

Plus, he's fated to turn evil in the end no matter what.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Technically there are two Adam Warlocks now, but the second one is the new Living Tribunal.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Question IRL posted:

In fact in the original Batman and the Outsider's series there is a scene where Batman is trying to interrogate a dude. And the guy is like "But I know the Batman has a code against killing!"

And Batman just says "I may have...BUT SHE DOESN'T." Then he points to Katana, and he smiles in this really creepy way that Jim Apero would do with Batman.

A lot of writers do that because they are kind of dumb. Cap did with moon knight as an example.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

This got me thinking: how many Marvel-616 villains (I haven't read through Secret Wars yet :smith:) reformed and had it stick?

Eddie Brock, except then he went crazy and evil, I think.

Sandman, except then he just went evil again because Byrne.

Hawkeye, Black Widow and the Maximoff siblings count, I guess. Winter Soldier too, if you squint.

...Namor?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Was Wolverine a villain when he was fighting Hulk the first time?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Spiderman became a hero

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

WickedHate posted:

No one's said the original Thunderbolts minus Zemo yet?

Moonstone's arguable, but the rest of them, yeah. Especially Songbird.

Rogue's stayed good, too.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Vision started out as a villain I think.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Thaddius the Large posted:

Was Wolverine a villain when he was fighting Hulk the first time?

He was a government operative they sent in to stop the Hulk from destroying Canada or something. He was the antagonist because it was Hulk's comic book, I guess.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

X-O posted:

Technically there are two Adam Warlocks now, but the second one is the new Living Tribunal.

:aaaaa:

I need to catch up on cosmic Marvel.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Oh, and I believe Gambit was an antagonist at first though I don't know how long that lasted.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Roth posted:

Oh, and I believe Gambit was an antagonist at first though I don't know how long that lasted.

No, he had some weird thing where he picked up deaged Kid Storm as a partner-in-crime.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Die Laughing posted:

I liked Black Bat as the Batman of China. Maybe it sounds bad rear end in Chinese. Orphan is just the most depressing super hero name. "You have no parents? My planet blew up. I'm Superman, I don't go around calling myself the Last Son of Krypton."

It's kind of unfortunate that a Asian character who has no ties to the country is appointed 'Batman of China', though. She doesn't speak or read any Chinese.

Travis343 posted:

I don't know if her new origin is actually any darker than the original, you're already dealing with one of the most extreme abusive parents in the history of comics, but they really did lose a great character in the old David Cain.

I think having her kill Harper's mom is a great change, especially since it was Batman's fault it happened at all. It makes Cassandra and Harper's origins much more personal to the bat family at the same time,without changing the core of Cassandra's character.

Yes, but Cass has seen people dying up close multiple times and she still kills Harper's mom to the best of my recollection. As opposed to being innocent of the consequences of death until she kills someone for the first time. Kind of a big difference IMO.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's kind of unfortunate that a Asian character who has no ties to the country is appointed 'Batman of China', though. She doesn't speak or read any Chinese.

She was in the room when Batman offered the role to Katana, and when she pointed out she was Japanese he backpedaled and said he was talking to Cass.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Golden Age Namor was pretty much a villain, wasn't he? Though he's been a hero ever since then, and then retconned to be fighting the Nazis in the 40s.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rochallor posted:

Golden Age Namor was pretty much a villain, wasn't he?

Only in the sense that Stardust the Super Wizard is a villain.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rochallor posted:

Golden Age Namor was pretty much a villain, wasn't he? Though he's been a hero ever since then, and then retconned to be fighting the Nazis in the 40s.

Nah.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Is that the Thin Man?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Halloween Jack posted:

Is that the Thin Man?

No, it's a flagpole.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Travis343 posted:

No, it's a flagpole.
:vince:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Yvonmukluk posted:

Her English isn't that good either. She could have had some awesome kung fu adventuress, speaking the language of fight. Bring back Lady Shiva, and maybe Richard Dragon. Batman Incorporated is the biggest ball dropped in a long history of people dropping the ball on Grant Morrison characters. I guess we'll have to wait ten years or so, like Marvel Boy, or anything decent being done with Fantomex.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Die Laughing posted:

Her English isn't that good either. She could have had some awesome kung fu adventuress, speaking the language of fight. Bring back Lady Shiva, and maybe Richard Dragon. Batman Incorporated is the biggest ball dropped in a long history of people dropping the ball on Grant Morrison characters. I guess we'll have to wait ten years or so, like Marvel Boy, or anything decent being done with Fantomex.

Fantomex was pretty great in the various X-forces

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Batman Inc was dropped because of N52, not usual "Let's not utilize anything Morrison comes up with" methodology you often see for...basically everything Morrison comes up with.

To be honest basically all of Morrison's Batman additions were utilized. Damian Wayne most obviously, but Final Crisis was a Huge Deal, his "Hyper Sanity" theorem re: Joker is basically the new canon, and basically every part of Batman, Incorporated was utilized or had a major effect on some N52 Bat-Book or another, down to the fact that Batman, Incorporated itself got a continuation despite being a direct sequel to a book that was made non-canon. And then you have Spyral and that British finishing school being heavily utilized in Grayson, Tomasi utilizing both Requiem and the events of Final Crisis itself in a huge plotline when they set about reviving Damian, and even stuff like Batwing at least initially being DC's effort at trying to do a continuing "Batman of _____" story.

Really, the only part of Batman Inc that wasn't utilized despite being clearly set up was the characters that didn't exist any more, aka Black Bat and Oracle. Everything else in that book and that Grant Morrison in general came up with for his Batman run got used, and it definitely had some very heavy impact that's still being felt today.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

bobkatt013 posted:

Fantomex was pretty great in the various X-forces

Yeah. It just took 10+ years.

And New52 doesn't excuse ditching all the Batman Inc characters. There's so much international comic talent, that you could have a Batman Inc anthology series with creators from the countries the characters are from.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Halloween Jack posted:

Is that the Thin Man?

No, the Thin Man is dead and buried under concrete.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Die Laughing posted:

Reading, I'll grant you, that was an established character flaw, but she seemed to be able to speak English just fine. Also, it kind of pisses me off that apparently other writers wanted to use Cass for things but were repeatedly told 'no, Morrison has plans for her'. Which never loving materialised. So we end up with an Asian character slotted into being the Batman of Asia for no other apparent reason that because she is Asian, who then never does anything. At least Steph got Leviathan Strikes despite getting New 52ed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Moonstone's arguable, but the rest of them, yeah. Especially Songbird.

Rogue's stayed good, too.

Eh, Atlas and Fixer go back and forth a LOT, and Moonstone's never really been a hero since the original run of T-bolts ended.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Venom has been a hero for quite a few years now although the new upcoming series makes it seem like that's not sticking.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That doesn't really count since it's a different guy.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I've read the entire Ultimate line, the Secret Wars tie in (That did not exist in a bubble) and two issues of Miles Morales 616 solo.

I really need it spelt out to me if Miles is the person from the Ultimate Universe. I always assumed he had memory of everything but reading the solo it's kind of obvious he doesn't and that seems uncomfortably weird with his background.

Like Ultimate Reed Richards survived? Can anyone just spell out exactly how the Ultimate Universe ending affected 616, give me all the details from Secret Wars and future issues of Miles solo run. What's up with Miles's parents still being alive and only one of them knowing his identity. Did Mile's uncle exist in 616? What about ties to Osborn and the spider?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They have yet to explicitly spell it out for us.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I've read the entire Ultimate line, the Secret Wars tie in (That did not exist in a bubble) and two issues of Miles Morales 616 solo.

I really need it spelt out to me if Miles is the person from the Ultimate Universe. I always assumed he had memory of everything but reading the solo it's kind of obvious he doesn't and that seems uncomfortably weird with his background.

Like Ultimate Reed Richards survived? Can anyone just spell out exactly how the Ultimate Universe ending affected 616, give me all the details from Secret Wars and future issues of Miles solo run. What's up with Miles's parents still being alive and only one of them knowing his identity. Did Mile's uncle exist in 616? What about ties to Osborn and the spider?

Reed and Miles both escaped the last Incursion and were on Battleworld. Miles survived by being kind to Molecule Man, one of the only people that was, and in order to repay that kindness when he re-made the primary universe he transplanted Miles and his family and friends to the 616 and even resurrected his mother. We don't know the specifics about how his past lines up with the newly created universe. I'm not sure we'll ever get concrete answers either way. As for 1610 Reed, he confronted Molecule Man and was sliced up but managed to somehow pull himself back together and sneak into the new universe.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Specifically he gave Molecule Man a cheeseburger that had been in his pocket for an undetermined amount of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hey, dude was hungry as hell. He hadn't eaten in like eight years. You literally hold a world together for eight years and see if you won't eat a week old burger.