Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
My son will occasionally take an hour to go down, with or without an afternoon nap. There's no rhyme or reason to it.

The only surefire way to get him to sleep right away is to tire him the gently caress out after his nap. Parks, walks, and backyard chases. I swear, toddlers and little kids are made of pure energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
At 2 years old, our daughter will nap about 3 hours a day during the weekend (and she'd go longer but we wake her up) and I think they do like an hour and a half a day at daycare.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

BoyBlunder posted:

My wife and I like to put our daughter (2.5yr) down at around 20:00 for bed. However, she doesn't fall asleep until 21:30, usually. She's pretty quiet in bed, but she just tosses and turns.

Should we be concerned about this? I understand that she might not be tired, but I think a solid bedtime routine is important.

FWIW, she sleeps through the night, and we often need to wake her up at 8:30/9:00ish for morning activities.

My kid is 9 and still does this. I've tried adjusting the bedtime later to match up with when he actually goes to sleep, turns out he just stays awake for another hour and a half. He just needs that time to cool down and get ready for sleep. He doesn't seem unhappy, he just kind of plays quietly or dicks around by himself in there until he goes to sleep. I figure it's just kind of his personal sleep routine, my brother is the same - no matter how tired he is, he's just gotta lay there for an hour or so before he can actually sleep. As long as the lights are off and he's not making TOO much noise, I just leave him be.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
Holy hell. My husband left today for a work trip that will last until Saturday. This is the first time he's been gone like this, so we've been explaining it to our kids (4.5 year old, 2.5 year old, and 10 month old) and preparing them for several days while trying not to make a big deal of it. I'm a stay-at-home mom, so they're with me all of the time anyway. So far I've just been adhering to their usual routine and took them to the park this afternoon to let them burn off some energy.

They're going nuts, anyway. The 4 year old in particular is trying to push my buttons and the 2 year old gets a bit caught up in it. My usual tactics to deal with this are utterly failing. Anyone have any suggestions or tips? I'd really appreciate them.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
loving hell why can't our kids be like the ones I see walking nicely with their parents in stores? They must be the same age or younger, but they walk with their parents and can get in or out of the kiddie wagon on their own and don't run off.

Not a chance in hell we can do that. They'll run away first chance they get and start pulling items out of the shelves and we'll just spend our time looking for them, seeing what packages they've torn open while we weren't watching.

Last night we tried letting them walk along while I was looking at a new phone at an electronics store. Well one of them went missing and we looked around the store for him until I thought "gently caress the parking!" and was I was running out the door he's approaching me, being led by some lady saying he was running around the parking, he's just all smiles and laughing all the time.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I didn't think I'd be one of those parents but I was. I used a toddler leash on my kid if we were in busy and crowded situations because he would slip away and dash off.
Even though he's almost 4 I will still carry him out in public. We're working on it and he is getting better about walking and holding hands in parking lots and other dangerous areas rather than dashing off or throwing a tantrum but when I'm in a hurry he gets carried.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Ansiktsburk posted:

Holy hell. My husband left today for a work trip that will last until Saturday. This is the first time he's been gone like this, so we've been explaining it to our kids (4.5 year old, 2.5 year old, and 10 month old) and preparing them for several days while trying not to make a big deal of it. I'm a stay-at-home mom, so they're with me all of the time anyway. So far I've just been adhering to their usual routine and took them to the park this afternoon to let them burn off some energy.

They're going nuts, anyway. The 4 year old in particular is trying to push my buttons and the 2 year old gets a bit caught up in it. My usual tactics to deal with this are utterly failing. Anyone have any suggestions or tips? I'd really appreciate them.

Have any family/friends you can enlist as help? If nothing else allow you take a break and regen?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
My wife's leaving on a trip to see her family in a few weeks. Will she be able to check the stroller at the gate and get it back? She has back issues so she can't carry him (7mo old) and deal with everything else. I also imagine if her layover is short, she can let the staff know she may need to help making her connecting flight since waiting for a stroller will eat up time.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yes, people commonly gate check strollers

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I have done that maybe 3 times? Leave stroller at the end of the walkway to plane. Once it went to baggage claim. The other times I waited at the door of the plane and it was brought there. Ask the attendant at gate or at the front door of the plane.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.

Chin Strap posted:

Have any family/friends you can enlist as help? If nothing else allow you take a break and regen?

We don't have any family nearby, but I have a babysitter scheduled for a few hours tomorrow. I'm sure the kids could use a break from me, too, since they don't get one very often. Just have to stay in one piece until then.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
My 2.5 year old's technique for spilling things:

1.) Spill container (This time dad's coffee).
2.) Stand in coffee puddle with big grin.
3.) Panic when dad says "No!"
4.) Slip and fall in coffee puddle.
5.) Proceed to throw tantrum and flop around in coffee puddle.
6.) Laugh at dad as he grumpily gives the second bath of the morning.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

WTF BEES posted:

This is 100% exactly my son

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

-S- posted:

This is 100% exactly my son

At least this time it wasn't a puddle of cat pee...

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

WTF BEES posted:

At least this time it wasn't a puddle of cat pee...

My wife says that this morning he pulled his diaper off and tossed his poop up into the sink. Lovely.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

-S- posted:

My wife says that this morning he pulled his diaper off and tossed his poop up into the sink. Lovely.

We went into our almost 2 year olds room after a nap, and she'd stripped off, took her nappy off, which contained a massive poo poo, and happily smeared it everywhere. Teddies, sleeping bag, bed sheets and herself.

She's like a mini Houdini.

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!
A Poodini, if you will.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

JustAurora posted:

A Poodini, if you will.

:golfclap:

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
anyone elses kids hit their milestones only when cranky? mine doesnt coo-he whines. he did discover how to stand on my lap and sit supported tho.

not looking foward to the poodini stage tho

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

WTF BEES posted:

Here's mine:

1.) Say "uhoh" loudly if he needs to get my attention or, if I'm already looking at him, he stops completely to give me a long hard stare
2.) As I instantly realize what's going to happen, I scramble towards him and he calmly but quickly dumps it all onto the floor with a big grin on his face
3.) As I grab the cup from him, he throws himself on the floor, directly into the puddle
4.) As I grab paper towels he begins to drink the liquid off the floor, loudly and dramatically going "mmm" and "aaaah" between slurps
5.) Goes to get paper towels or analogs while I clean up the mess so he can help me clean up the mess
6.) Try to take my papertowels and throw them in the trash until he gets put in his high chair and locked in so I can clean up, which I should have done several steps ago

At any point this sequence he might hear the sound of a plane outside, at which point the whole thing is short-circuited and he jumps right to "run to door shouting ABANE!(airplane) and cry because daddy won't let him outside to see the airplane"

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

AA is for Quitters posted:

anyone elses kids hit their milestones only when cranky? mine doesnt coo-he whines. he did discover how to stand on my lap and sit supported tho.

not looking foward to the poodini stage tho

Mine is and was always a total dick during milestones. In her assholey defense, it's got to be pretty exhausting and frustrating learning to do all this crazy poo poo for the first time.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
The best defense for kids taking off their diapers (all three of mine did it) is putting it on backwards, and/or putting them in zip-up pjs inside out and backwards. It wasn't enough for us to put them in zip up pjs, they figured out the zipper pretty easily. Inside out and backwards was enough to end that wonderful phase.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

WTF BEES posted:

This sounds familiar. :)

My worst one with non-biological matter was with a whole bag of flour.

A whole bag, everywhere in the kitchen and on the floor and cupboards and down the heater registers.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

VorpalBunny posted:

The best defense for kids taking off their diapers (all three of mine did it) is putting it on backwards, and/or putting them in zip-up pjs inside out and backwards. It wasn't enough for us to put them in zip up pjs, they figured out the zipper pretty easily. Inside out and backwards was enough to end that wonderful phase.

Duct tape can help hold diapers on, when it comes down to it. I may have gotten the suggestion here.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Just to make sure. My baby is going to turn 1 in a few days and he never crawled. He will cruise just fine and is starting to let go and walk up to 6-8 steps regularly. I don't really mind and I figure he's going to crawl and walk on all fours once he learns to walk by himself since it'll help him to stand up.

But it's still in the back of my head. Are we doing something wrong? should we focus on tummy time? We're going to ask our ped next time we see her, but until then should we worry? We've done some tummy time pretty much every day since forever but to this day he still hates it. He'll accept it for a bit longer than he used to, but he gets angry fast and he isn't trying to do much. Like he used to turn over all the time and he doesn't anymore... But he's almost able to go to a seated position if/when he wants to.

He absolutely LOVES walking though. He's very happy and smart and normal in every other area

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

"Your Baby's First Year" (put out by the AAP) stressed that it's perfectly normal for babies to skip crawling in favor of some other means of locomotion. They mentioned rolling or scooting, maybe cruising amounts to the same? Definitely bring it up to your pediatrician but at least similar progressions are considered healthy.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

KingColliwog posted:

Just to make sure. My baby is going to turn 1 in a few days and he never crawled. He will cruise just fine and is starting to let go and walk up to 6-8 steps regularly. I don't really mind and I figure he's going to crawl and walk on all fours once he learns to walk by himself since it'll help him to stand up.

Perfectly normal.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

KingColliwog posted:

But it's still in the back of my head. Are we doing something wrong? should we focus on tummy time? We're going to ask our ped next time we see her, but until then should we worry? We've done some tummy time pretty much every day since forever but to this day he still hates it. He'll accept it for a bit longer than he used to, but he gets angry fast and he isn't trying to do much. Like he used to turn over all the time and he doesn't anymore... But he's almost able to go to a seated position if/when he wants to.

He absolutely LOVES walking though. He's very happy and smart and normal in every other area

Honestly all they care is that they're walking in the long term. You may even see them picking up crawling again later for reasons of things like : crawling through tunnels, crawling under chairs so you can't pick them up, etc.

My 21 month old daughter and I both got stomach flu/food poisoning at the same time (we know where it's from because my wife hasn't caught it), down to vomiting 5 minutes apart! We've both been figuratively making GBS threads our pants, too. I type this as my stomach is constantly rumbling and my daughter has filled two overnights with poop.

How long before this reaches "you should call a doctor"? Kid is actually happy, has just been nursing excessively enough to be pooping breastmilk style again - which is an excessive amount of poop for a kid of her age. No fever, either.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

KingColliwog posted:

I skipped that as well I was told. Both my kids skipped crawling and instead they rolled where they wanted.

dpspolice
Oct 25, 2007

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Honestly all they care is that they're walking in the long term. You may even see them picking up crawling again later for reasons of things like : crawling through tunnels, crawling under chairs so you can't pick them up, etc.

My 21 month old daughter and I both got stomach flu/food poisoning at the same time (we know where it's from because my wife hasn't caught it), down to vomiting 5 minutes apart! We've both been figuratively making GBS threads our pants, too. I type this as my stomach is constantly rumbling and my daughter has filled two overnights with poop.

How long before this reaches "you should call a doctor"? Kid is actually happy, has just been nursing excessively enough to be pooping breastmilk style again - which is an excessive amount of poop for a kid of her age. No fever, either.

As long as baby is staying hydrated and doesn't seem lethargic you shouldn't need to call in. There really isn't anything the doc can do for her, it just needs to run it's course.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

dpspolice posted:

As long as baby is staying hydrated and doesn't seem lethargic you shouldn't need to call in. There really isn't anything the doc can do for her, it just needs to run it's course.

.She woke up happy and I think we're all on the road to recovery here. Thank you.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Hey Parenting goons,

I am just writing this to introduce myself, as a non-parent lurker who may sometimes have resources to share. I have my MA and PhD in clinical psych and did a certificate in Child Parent Psychotherapy (https://www.facebook.com/ChildParentPsychotherapy/) which is

quote:

a research supported, evidence-based intervention model for children aged 0-6 who have experienced traumatic events and/or are experiencing mental health, attachment, or behavioral problems. Therapy sessions include both the child and their parent or primary caregiver. A central goal is to support and strengthen the caregiver-child relationship as a vehicle for restoring and protecting the child’s mental health.

In any case, I just wanted to say hi, and that I think you're all great.

I've worked as a live-in nanny, and... I'm beginning to take foster parent classes in October, which I'm psyched about! I am sure that experience will generate a whole new set of emotions and thoughts.

I will now return to my mostly lurking behavior. :ninja:

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

Dad gripe time. I often take my son to the park/mall play area (if it's raining) to get him some exercise during the week while mom is at work. On more than one occasion I've had women approach me and accuse me of being a creeper sitting by myself and "watching other people's kids". I always just smile and point out my son and that's usually the end of it. Today I had an entire mother's club staring daggers at me while I let my son run around the mall play area with the other toddlers.

What is with this behavior? I had read in a few places that single/stay at home dads had some trouble with this kind of thing, but never thought anything of it until my son was old enough to start taking to the park etc. and began experiencing it for myself.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Societal norms/wrong-headed thinking? I mean, is it really trouble? I feel it too sometimes when i take my son out by myself after work or on weekends but I don't let it bother me (seriously, let them call me out for being a creeper. I'll get to show them how wrong they are).

I think it also comes from the same place weird clique-y parent groups form. I know my wife has run into mom groups that are the complete stereotype of an awful moms' group. She hates people like that but there isn't much you can do about them other than ignore it for the bullshit it is.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 27, 2016

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Most of the time I take my son to the park I'm interacting with him regularly; so I've never had anyone come up to me or shoot me bad looks. I often end up talking with other parents while our kids play together. However, I have to confess that sometimes I may have felt pressured to interact RIGHT NOW with him because I start to feel like it may seem like I'm just looking at other people's kids play. It's a lovely feeling, but in a way I feel that if there is a creeper, male or female, I'd like it if someone does spot them.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

WTF BEES posted:

Dad gripe time. I often take my son to the park/mall play area (if it's raining) to get him some exercise during the week while mom is at work. On more than one occasion I've had women approach me and accuse me of being a creeper sitting by myself and "watching other people's kids". I always just smile and point out my son and that's usually the end of it. Today I had an entire mother's club staring daggers at me while I let my son run around the mall play area with the other toddlers.

What is with this behavior? I had read in a few places that single/stay at home dads had some trouble with this kind of thing, but never thought anything of it until my son was old enough to start taking to the park etc. and began experiencing it for myself.

That is insane and horrible. It's so sad that the thought of a father spending time with his kids is so unusual it's not the first thing that occurs to people if they see a man in a play area.

If it's any comfort to you, see yourself as being on the cusp of a change of attitude and when your son grows up he'll be able to take his children (if he has any) wherever he god drat wants without people being poo poo about it.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Two years ago we went on holiday to Florida, from the UK, and I went to change our then 2 year olds nappy. Then discovered that very few male toilets have changing tables.

Why doesn't America like dad's :iiam:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
In Europe I find more places put the changing tables in the handicap restrooms (males sense, they need more elbowroom anyway) or even in rooms of their own.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Oodles posted:

Two years ago we went on holiday to Florida, from the UK, and I went to change our then 2 year olds nappy. Then discovered that very few male toilets have changing tables.

This would piss me off to no end. I'm in Qc Canada and only once did I encounter a restaurant that only had changing tables only in the women's washroom and it made me a lot more angry than it should have. I'm not nearly as annoyed when there's no changing table at all.

The only upside to the whole situation people are describing is that some people (especially older folks) seem to look at me like I'm some sort of awesome guy when I grocery shop with my baby and other stuff like that. I'll get compliments and great comments. My girlfriend also get some, but they are always directed at the baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Oodles posted:

I think it's more of a "Florida" thing, most of bathrooms with changing tables have them the family&handicapped bathroom or both the men's and women's room.

Although I don't really care, I usually just change him on the back of the car, since most places have tiny bathrooms without changing tables at all.