Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eikre
May 2, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

The crit stat is in there, but not factored into the calculations.

What is energy overflow? I took professor_kukui's calculations and added to them, never taking anything away.

Maybe your sheet is derived from an outdated revision, then?

All of the values for "duel ability" on your main sheet are the result of a calculation done in the "showing work" tab. In column AC, where the damage for a full weave cycle is calculated, charge attack damage is multiplied by (1+($AJ$1*Z0/100), where AJ1 is 0.5 and the Z column contains crit%.

In column AD, which calculates weave cycle duration, there is an if/else operation in Kukui's sheet which would be IF(AB2=100,CEILING(AB2/U2,1),AB2/U2) in yours. If you just indiscriminately set the number of basic attacks needed to generate charge to the ceiling of (energy_needed÷energy_generated), it means the extra energy you have leftover after a charge attack is discarded.

You just find a recent copy of Kukui's sheet and just re-copy the "duel ability" values, if that's all you did in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.

chemosh6969 posted:

Do you have a good phone or one of those "what's the cheapest phone I can buy that works for the game" phone?

I have an inFocus m808, a mid-line phone. It's not the absolute worst, and it definitely meets all of their posted system requirements.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My wife and I hit up a couple gyms after work yesterday and we saw two Red players driving around converting all the nearby gyms using the Bubble strat. We're fairly sure they were doing it all day long because I saw them during my lunch break at another gym, too. All of the gyms had 20 CP Krabbys/Horseas in the first slot and they were all leveled up to 10.

There's a couple lv9/10 Blue gyms they didn't touch, but they managed to convert all the nearby hotly-contested gyms.

We had some free time so we spent 20 minutes bum-rushing one of the Lv10 gyms and managed to completely take it out.

It's war.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Afgad posted:

So the Go+ basically doesn't work for a ton of Android users. I got mine today and it will absolutely not connect. My wife's iPhone connects just fine.

Early adopter blues.
Bluetooth Low Energy seems to be implemented in Android as an afterthought, and the app is not set up to deal with it not being there. My Nexus 5 supports it and has no issues, but my Nexus 7 can 'see' it but never actually connect. Turns out (i am probably oversimplifying) they used a chipset for the 7 that also supports BLE but since they didn't know or care they never enabled it in the ROM for that device so you can only get it working by rooting and using a custom ROM.

Unsurprisingly the game doesn't give any useful feedback about BLE not being there so some people will just see the Plus and push the button endlessly but it will never work and they may never know why. :doh:

Better yet Bluetooth Low Energy is a spec basically nobody cares about so you're going to have a fun time finding out which devices support it when you go shopping.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Waroduce posted:

Hello pokemasters

I have a95% perfect poliwhirl at 604 CP......and im sitting on 108 candies. Is it worth it to upgrade him or should i hold out for a higher cp poliwag to drag through evolutions? Is he too low to pump full of stardust?

Also is Tangela worth anything? I remeber reading they were good against certain types and a bibof a secret offensively...is this still true? I got vine whip and solar beam on a 900cp one and i got a few candies....

The candies and stardust to upgrade the early levels is relatively cheap compared to later power ups. If you have a good IV pokemon, go for it. I'll :pray: you get Bubble and Submission. IVs do matter, especially for a defender, and just a few percentage point difference can translate into 20k stardust and a bunch of candies end-game.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Haha, my avatar. I'm guessing it's like a furry thing.

Holy poo poo the insecurity of people here. To whoever to gave it to me: I'm sorry you're bad at video games and life, brah.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Eikre posted:

Maybe your sheet is derived from an outdated revision, then?

All of the values for "duel ability" on your main sheet are the result of a calculation done in the "showing work" tab. In column AC, where the damage for a full weave cycle is calculated, charge attack damage is multiplied by (1+($AJ$1*Z0/100), where AJ1 is 0.5 and the Z column contains crit%.

In column AD, which calculates weave cycle duration, there is an if/else operation in Kukui's sheet which would be IF(AB2=100,CEILING(AB2/U2,1),AB2/U2) in yours. If you just indiscriminately set the number of basic attacks needed to generate charge to the ceiling of (energy_needed÷energy_generated), it means the extra energy you have leftover after a charge attack is discarded.

You just find a recent copy of Kukui's sheet and just re-copy the "duel ability" values, if that's all you did in the first place.

Huh. You're absolutely right. I swear I checked that cell earlier, but I guess I either pulled from the wrong version at some point or that AJ1 shows 0 because the cell isn't wide enough to show 0.5.

I'll change it everywhere it's linked, but I won't update my infographics yet. Not a ton of free time these days, but I'll let y'all know when I do.

Thanks for the careful eye.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Whats the latest iv calc yall are using that wont get me banned

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Dahbadu posted:

Haha, my avatar. I'm guessing it's like a furry thing.

Holy poo poo the insecurity of people here. To whoever to gave it to me: I'm sorry you're bad at video games and life, brah.

You get upset over THAT avatar? It's adorable!

Holy poo poo at the insecurity indeed.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Waroduce posted:

I manually feed data to https://pokemon.gameinfo.io/en/tools/iv-calculator and add it to a spreadsheet :awesome:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

endlessmonotony posted:

It was a furry avatar before it was changed.

So what causes you to get an extra 100 xp via the form of a "bonus"?

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

"Congrats on your X-hundredth pidgey" , I think is the reason for your bonus.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Louisgod posted:

It was a furry avatar before it was changed.

So what causes you to get an extra 100 xp via the form of a "bonus"?

According to Reddit, you get a 100 XP bonus when you've caught a multiple of 100 of the same Pokemon.

e:f;b

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Waroduce posted:

Why would an IV calc get you banned

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

endlessmonotony posted:

If you're talking about the Burnie avatar, I just gave myself that. I agree, it's adorable. Gotta represent.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Jonesy posted:

Nice, thanks! A friend got it for Zubat at one point and looking back, gently caress catching 100 Zubats.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Mierenneuker posted:

I believe this is it. I have a level 1 Pidgeot and it's 27 CP. A Pidgey at that level would be 10 CP and a Pidgeotto somewhere between.

This is a pretty good tool to give you an impression of how CP your 'mon might have after stuffing it full of candies: https://pokeassistant.com/main/evolver
(doesn't work for Eevee, since it just lists Vaporeon while the Eeveelutions have significant CP differences)

It does tell you for every Eeveelution, not sure where you're getting that from, FYI.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Waroduce posted:

The in-game appraisal function.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Louisgod posted:

Nice, thanks! A friend got it for Zubat at one point and looking back, gently caress catching 100 Zubats.

I find Zubats fun to catch. Useless but good aiming practice.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Entropist posted:

The in-game appraisal function.

I'm convinced they added that useless feature just so they could justify going after the third party IV calculators.

Kimchi King
Aug 26, 2010

It sure is.

I do my morning run starting at 5am and knock out gyms along it. I reliably got 10 gyms for a bit more than a week. But then a player who used to clear them out around 7am, started getting up earlier and earlier and now is starting around 5:30, and starts knocking out my gyms before I can now even reach gym #8. With this player being level 33, he/she takes mine down faster than I can retake.

This morning, I noticed when he/she knocked my stuff out, he/she replaced it with the exact same pokemon just with much higher CP. 900 higher CP dragonite, 300 higher CP Slowbro, 400 higher CP Poliwrath, 200 CP higher Gyrados etc. Didn't clear out any Valor gyms or train up other Mystic gyms, just clears mine, every single one of them.

PoGo is hell.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Hobo Clown posted:

I'm convinced they added that useless feature just so they could justify going after the third party IV calculators.

Probably, but to hammer home the point, IV means gently caress all and people getting hung up over evolving a Pokemon that is 76% vs. 91% are beyond help anyway

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

Kinda hosed up that whether I evolve a poliwag or a poliwhirl I only get a base 500xp, despite needing 4x the candy for the latter.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Fusion Restaurant posted:

It does tell you for every Eeveelution, not sure where you're getting that from, FYI.

Wow, turns out I mixed it up with https://pokemon.gameinfo.io/en/tools/evolution-calculator
No idea how that happened, but yeah, I use that one and not the other one :sweatdrop:

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jonesy posted:

Kinda hosed up that whether I evolve a poliwag or a poliwhirl I only get a base 500xp, despite needing 4x the candy for the latter.

We should just be happy they don't give you less exp than the first evolve for some reason like, "You already evolved this exact pokemon once. What do you want from us?"

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
There's a spawn cluster near me that seems to once in awhile throw out 4 of something at once. Last night I saw 4 drowzee, this morning 4 jynx, right now 4 zubats. Haven't kept a close eye on it though because I didn't start to think it was a pattern until now. I'm hoping it gets more rare than that at some point, because if its a rotating nest of some kind then I've hit a jackpot.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Waroduce posted:

Pokegenie for iOS just uses screenshots and you can narrow it down by inputting appraisal info. There's also GO IV for android and I think it does the same thing.

Jonesy posted:

*sigh* "yet another advantage big city players have over rural folk."

jeef
Jun 1, 2004

Pokemon Go: gently caress Rural Players to Death

unless they played ingress

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

Are they not currently accepting pokestop submissions? I feel like the bar is set pretty low for those, so rural dudes who didn't play ingress could boost at least their inventories

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I think pretty early on like 2 weeks after the game came out they said they're no longer accepting requests for new Pokestop locations and took out the submission form page they used to have.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to open it up to 5 million people all submitting their mailbox as an historical landmark.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Went on a walk during my lunch hour and popped an incense. The results were underwhelming - I think I got maybe 3 or 4 extra spawns that whole time. :shrug: Oh well, at least I got some fresh air.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Hobo Clown posted:

I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to open it up to 5 million people all submitting their mailbox as an historical landmark.

I totally agree and was surprised they even allowed submissions at all. I know it's unfair for rural/suburban areas that are pretty devoid of Pokestops, but the whole idea of Pokestops is for places of interest and I don't think you can justify "big tree" or "landscaped rocks." And yes I know there are dumb ones like that but there's really no way to push for that unless you were playing Ingress long before Pokemon Go and really fought to get it noticed by Niantic.

Point being Pokestops weren't meant to be fair, otherwise they'd just be laid out in a nice grid formation every mile or so apart from each other.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

Seems like it'd be easy to filter stop submissions based on proximity to existing stops and like a minimum number of users who request a stop in the area. I dunno, I don't think it hurts anyone if some people a mile away from a pokestop get one for a public fountain or w/e

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

Willsun posted:

I know it's unfair for rural/suburban areas that are pretty devoid of Pokestops, but the whole idea of Pokestops is for places of interest and I don't think you can justify "big tree" or "landscaped rocks." And yes I know there are dumb ones like that but there's really no way to push for that unless you were playing Ingress long before Pokemon Go and really fought to get it noticed by Niantic.

To be fair, some of those "tree" stops are actual landmarks. same with those rocks imo. most cities clear everything away for safety/retail space/ease of management so it's rare to have a tree growing in the middle of a pavillion or something. and those rocks had to get there somehow, unless you're talking about rock formations. which still could be cleared away but they stayed. I remember being a kid and visiting the west coast, and being absolutely stoked about rocks and mountains, climbing on them, seeing them even.

Pokestops are meant to be points of interest, so I think it fits. They're as relevant as most statues or sculptures or murals you see anywhere else.

edit: <--- I have a secret admirer. thank you!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Yeah, every single church by me has a stop, it wouldn't be game breaking if the rural areas got one on every church too. And we know they all have churches :shrug:

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've probably mentioned it itt before, but where I live there's a gym that is just a foot tall Mary statue. Not at a church or anything. Just a lawn ornament. So basically anything can be a stop/gym if it's religious. Really wish I could submit the one in my neighbor's yard.

Also the other day I saw a stop that was just spray paint on a tool shed door. Not even art or graffiti or anything. Just spray paint.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I submitted my neighbor's house way back since his house shows up as a church on Google maps. Didn't work sadly.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

CrashCat posted:

Yeah, every single church by me has a stop, it wouldn't be game breaking if the rural areas got one on every church too. And we know they all have churches :shrug:

All of the churches near me are Gyms, not stops. There's a handful of stops around too, but like 3 of the 5 nearest gyms to me are churches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I like these ones from a local strip club/gym combo

There's also a goku stop nearby

• Locked thread