Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Whaddup mah nilllas

We're taking it back

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, you're all just wafers.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Chalky rear end chalkies

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So I caught about 10 minutes of Rush this afternoon and it was absolutely sublime.

He was telling his audience to distrust any information they receive, don't automatically accept information without vetting it, don't take things at face value just because you read it or heard it, and claiming that the goal of "the media" is to repeat information and lies enough times to the point that you begin to believe what they want you to believe.

On the one hand, I agreed with him but the entire time I couldn't help but wonder where he'd be if HIS listeners applied these standards to his own unique brand of propagandistic bullshit. He was basically describing exactly what he does each and every day as simple matter of buttering his own bread in between counting goant stacks of money.

I like to think it was on purpose but I admit that I'm not sure. To hear him bascially describe himself, his methods and attribute these tendencies to the media at large put me in quite a snit.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

So I caught about 10 minutes of Rush this afternoon and it was absolutely sublime.

He was telling his audience to distrust any information they receive, don't automatically accept information without vetting it, don't take things at face value just because you read it or heard it, and claiming that the goal of "the media" is to repeat information and lies enough times to the point that you begin to believe what they want you to believe.

On the one hand, I agreed with him but the entire time I couldn't help but wonder where he'd be if HIS listeners applied these standards to his own unique brand of propagandistic bullshit. He was basically describing exactly what he does each and every day as simple matter of buttering his own bread in between counting goant stacks of money.

I like to think it was on purpose but I admit that I'm not sure. To hear him bascially describe himself, his methods and attribute these tendencies to the media at large put me in quite a snit.

Has to be on purpose. Rush was never a rube like his listeners, he only went full conservative alternate reality because it made a shitload of money.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, that's the ultimate paradox of the conspiracy theorist. You can't trust anyone, and yet you're still trusting someone.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
A simple concept, taught to me in my adolescence by this man:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Never thought he'd be a Nazi stooge (when I was 7).

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Yeah, that's the ultimate paradox of the conspiracy theorist. You can't trust anyone, and yet you're still trusting someone.

This is part of conspiracy-theorist communities and right wing media operating more like a cult than anything else. They spend a lot of time tearing down all other sources of influence, and reinforcing that you can't possibly trust anyone besides other cult members/conspiracy theorists/right wing media assholes.

I think part of the reason the right wing is more susceptible to this kind of hucksterism has to do with the fact that the more fundamentalist religious sects often prime them for having this relationship with the rest of the world. They go to church and the priest tells them, "gently caress all that noise out there in the real world, the only thing that matters is the word of god as interpreted and delivered through me" Then the come home and they turn on Rush who tells them, "gently caress all that noise you hear in the rest of the media, the only thing that matters is conservatism as interpreted and delivered through me."

The left wing has its share of these kind of people too, but they're not monetized in the same way the right wing is. They're much more splintered. They don't have their own TV network. Their approach to religion is generally more holistic.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 21, 2016

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

BiggerBoat posted:

It's a 'hiding in the lies in plain sight' strategy.

You make your audience think you are educating them about how to discern what is good or bad information but really you're just reassuring them that the poisonous lying bullshit you spew is just fine.

Rush has used this strategy since his early days - as have countless other pundits. We are also seeing the armchair logicians of youtube who have become the modern-day Rush Limbaughs also using this strategy.

The worst part of this strategy is how all the followers of the person using it become insufferably arrogant. (I.E. the 'dittoheads.') They also become overly-skeptical of ANY information that contradicts their views (to the point of disputing stuff for wholly irrational reasons) as they believe they've been enlightened somehow. When really they have a lovely overly-simplistic command of logic that they've been taught to use to confirm their biases rather than re-examine them. Essentially they've all been given a snake-oil tonic version of argumentative logic, with confirmation bias for one's bigotry as the opiate & paint thinner filler.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 21, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ErIog posted:

This is part of conspiracy-theorist communities and right wing media operating more like a cult than anything else. They spend a lot of time tearing down all other sources of influence, and reinforcing that you can't possibly trust anyone besides other cult members/conspiracy theorists/right wing media assholes.

I think part of the reason the right wing is more susceptible to this kind of hucksterism has to do with the fact that the more fundamentalist religious sects often prime them for having this relationship with the rest of the world. They go to church and the priest tells them, "gently caress all that noise out there in the real world, the only thing that matters is the word of god as interpreted and delivered through me" Then the come home and they turn on Rush who tells them, "gently caress all that noise you hear in the rest of the media, the only thing that matters is conservatism as interpreted and delivered through me."

The left wing has its share of these kind of people too, but they're not monetized in the same way the right wing is. They're much more splintered. They don't have their own TV network. Their approach to religion is generally more holistic.

its because they believe in things that arent real, like trickle down economics or god

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Prester Jane's "Decoding Authoritarians" thread on SA covers this stuff really well.

She doesn't claim to be an expert, but there's some stuff on Narrativism that was really interesting to read.

Basically, people like Conspiracy Theorists or Fundamentalists view the world through a narrative that they created or that they latched on to. This narrative is ineffable, and when the narrative is challenged, the either buck hard in the opposite direction or (rarely) make headways into coming out of it. Evidence against a thing often becomes evidence for a thing because it's obvious that it's some sort of ploy, trick, or false flag.

robotsinmyhead fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Sep 21, 2016

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So I guess Glenn Beck's serial this week is on the destruction of the traditional family unit and how it spells doom for America. Lots of complaining about single moms and families where both parents work, surprisingly little about gays though. It was slightly irritating to hear him talk about teen pregnancy rates when things that would fix it (dump abstinence only sex education, better access to contraceptives) are things the right opposes, but that's pretty standard I suppose.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Anxiouisly awaiting Sean Hannity's "shocking news" about the dude from Reddit trying to figure out how to erase email addresses.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Twelve by Pies posted:

So I guess Glenn Beck's serial this week is on the destruction of the traditional family unit and how it spells doom for America. Lots of complaining about single moms and families where both parents work, surprisingly little about gays though. It was slightly irritating to hear him talk about teen pregnancy rates when things that would fix it (dump abstinence only sex education, better access to contraceptives) are things the right opposes, but that's pretty standard I suppose.

What is a traditional family unit? In some African cultures it's matrilineal descent, because it's hard to tell who a biological father may be so it doesn't matter, while there are fathers, father figures, marriage and all that, no child is a "bastard" because they all have a mother. In traditional Hopi society divorce was common and a child's maternal uncles were often just as, if not more important than their biological father, and their place in the community was reckoned through the maternal line. Then you have polygyny, which is traditional in large chunks of Africa and Southwest Asia, including in among the ancient kingdoms of Israel and Judah. So which one is the "traditional family unit"?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KiteAuraan posted:

What is a traditional family unit? In some African cultures it's matrilineal descent, because it's hard to tell who a biological father may be so it doesn't matter, while there are fathers, father figures, marriage and all that, no child is a "bastard" because they all have a mother. In traditional Hopi society divorce was common and a child's maternal uncles were often just as, if not more important than their biological father, and their place in the community was reckoned through the maternal line. Then you have polygyny, which is traditional in large chunks of Africa and Southwest Asia, including in among the ancient kingdoms of Israel and Judah. So which one is the "traditional family unit"?

Probably the American one.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

computer parts posted:

Probably the American one.

So is that early Mormon polygyny?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KiteAuraan posted:

Mormons aren't American.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

KiteAuraan posted:

The imaginary one invented by 1950s sitcoms that baby boomers watched as children and assumed was real.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Boy the way Glen Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I was gonna post this this in USPOL but it moves too fast.

Take that map and flip NH to Trump. We get 268 - 268. What happens then? And why am I afraid that's exactly what's going to happen? That'd make 2000 seem like an episode of Sesame Street. Especially with a vacancy on the supreme court.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

KiteAuraan posted:

Don't confuse people with your cultural relativism. It's messy and doesn't acknowledge that America perfected life in 1950.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

BiggerBoat posted:

Take that map and flip NH to Trump. We get 268 - 268. What happens then? And why am I afraid that's exactly what's going to happen? That'd make 2000 seem like an episode of Sesame Street. Especially with a vacancy on the supreme court.

Well, HRC +9 in the Monmouth NH poll should alleviate some of your concern. But yes, Trump would probably be selected by right-wing congress at that point

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

BiggerBoat posted:

You didn't assign Maine or NE's single separately-elected electoral vote - which are both going to go Trump. That gives him exactly 270, and it could happen.

In the event of a tie (or specifically no electoral majority), the president is elected by members of the house. Not specifically the house at large, though - it's a bit vague.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

emdash posted:

Well, HRC +9 in the Monmouth NH poll should alleviate some of your concern. But yes, Trump would probably be selected by right-wing congress at that point

Positive Hillary polls are lies.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

This much of our "great" nation is going to vote for a sycophantic moron in TYOOL 2016.

My company is Canadian. I've always wanted to move to a colder climate. Lets do this, America.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Has there been any more noise from the Right on the 'voter fraud watchers' that are going to volunteer to make sure the filthy liberals don't try anything funny at the polls? This can go so wrong in so many ways. Driving off minority voters, causing actual fights when people get pissed at being challenged, and of course used to justify recounts and cheating narratives.

Can't wait to see how it'll go in open-carry states.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
edit: nm, it was fake.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/rawstory/status/778647516959080449

Vice did an excellent 10 min video about the guy and his atrocious beliefs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkNQDOPjcdU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Sephyr posted:

Has there been any more noise from the Right on the 'voter fraud watchers' that are going to volunteer to make sure the filthy liberals don't try anything funny at the polls? This can go so wrong in so many ways. Driving off minority voters, causing actual fights when people get pissed at being challenged, and of course used to justify recounts and cheating narratives.

Can't wait to see how it'll go in open-carry states.

I heard one of the RWM radio hosts talking about it yesterday but I forget which one. Oddly enough, I think it was Herman Cain. In fact, I'm almost positive.

EDIT: Also, I guess in the wake of the latest unprovoked shooting of an unarmed black citizen, it was time for another round of "gently caress Black People Who Don't Want to be Shot" so a caller was given an entire segment to poo poo all Black Lives Matter and equate their "Six Demands" to terrorism or something.

I need to go to their website and read these demands. Oddly, Rush nor the caller ever read them - at leat in the time I was listening

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 21, 2016

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Obama just told the UN that Israel can't keep occupying Palestine forever.

I suggest you all turn on your internet radios tomorrow.

I've already seen plenty of facebook comments where wingnuts claim he's violating his oath of office.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I would hope that Obama would have just given Netanyahu a middle finger and then leave. Netanyahu deserves it for all the terrible poo poo that he's pulled, but what can you do.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Mat Staver was recently on my home state's pride and joy, VCY America's Crosstalk, to talk about whether or not concerns over Hillary's health are legitimate. Talk about her pneumonia quickly went out the window, though, as most of the program was dedicated to wild speculation - "She said she was overheating, but then changed her explanation to pneumonia! Why the change, Hillary?!" and "She wore really thick glasses to the Benghazi hearing! That MUST mean she has blurred vision, which could indicate a serious nerve condition!"

I mean, nothing about the speculation was particularly new. The thing is, Mat Staver is the head of Liberty Counsel, a Christian "pro-family" legal group that got famous for defending Kim Davis. Why the hell did they bring him on to vomit up Breitbart talking points, of all people?

I really think this election is going to be the death knell for "establishment" anti-gay groups in America, regardless of the actual outcome. If Hillary wins, there's such little chance that they're going to accomplish any of their goals, they might just do what Mat Staver is currently doing, and become generic alt-right mouthpieces, instead of focusing specifically on gay people. If Trump wins, I think they'll be swept up into the "Parrot everything that Lord Trump says" media empire that will rise up in his wake. Either way they'll lose their identity, which they're already very tenuously holding onto after the Obergefell decision.

There will still be some holdouts, sure. But gone will be the days of the Family Research Council going on Fox News to talk about how children "need a mother and a father". Instead, we'll see the Family Research Council going on Fox News to talk about "black on black crime".

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

They probably hated this news today

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/778604713210175488

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Mat Staver was recently on my home state's pride and joy, VCY America's Crosstalk, to talk about whether or not concerns over Hillary's health are legitimate. Talk about her pneumonia quickly went out the window, though, as most of the program was dedicated to wild speculation - "She said she was overheating, but then changed her explanation to pneumonia! Why the change, Hillary?!" and "She wore really thick glasses to the Benghazi hearing! That MUST mean she has blurred vision, which could indicate a serious nerve condition!"

I mean, nothing about the speculation was particularly new. The thing is, Mat Staver is the head of Liberty Counsel, a Christian "pro-family" legal group that got famous for defending Kim Davis. Why the hell did they bring him on to vomit up Breitbart talking points, of all people?

I really think this election is going to be the death knell for "establishment" anti-gay groups in America, regardless of the actual outcome. If Hillary wins, there's such little chance that they're going to accomplish any of their goals, they might just do what Mat Staver is currently doing, and become generic alt-right mouthpieces, instead of focusing specifically on gay people. If Trump wins, I think they'll be swept up into the "Parrot everything that Lord Trump says" media empire that will rise up in his wake. Either way they'll lose their identity, which they're already very tenuously holding onto after the Obergefell decision.

There will still be some holdouts, sure. But gone will be the days of the Family Research Council going on Fox News to talk about how children "need a mother and a father". Instead, we'll see the Family Research Council going on Fox News to talk about "black on black crime".

this. the social right is pretty much dead. the establishment only gives it lipservece at this point. the alt right "could" replace them and take their positions too, but who knows.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I don't live in NC, but I live close enough to it and all I can say is good.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

edit:wrong thread

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lol, god drat.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/e9z0e...ald-trump-rally

Christ, I can't believe these people are driving.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
That can't be real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Mental illness is very real and America doesn't take it seriously.