Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Toxxupation posted:

Raven is such a mess, Jesus Christ.

ed: I'm probably gonna keep reading it because I really love Raven as a character and there's just enough of Raven's character voice to make it palatable, plus it's set up from the start to be a mini so the investment is super low, but Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus.

Didn't notice this when posting. If you really, really love Raven, specifically the Teen Titans cartoon version of Raven, there's just enough there to make it work and Wolfman nails just enough of the character to make it enjoyable at points, but it's got a fair amount of Wolfman-patented leering at teenage girls, the narration's all over the place, the dialog can be very "Hello, fellow teens", and Raven's character voice switches from needlessly complex pseudo-Asgardian Marvel speech to normal everyday casual English, and it doesn't come across as Raven having difficulty fitting into modern-day society over Wolfman unsure of what her character voice is supposed to sound like.

She's my favorite DC character, and from what you've said it does seem to be better than the previous Marv Wolfman mini-series, so there's that at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Superman and Trinity were both really fantastic this week. That bit on the roller coaster :3:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Having read both Batman and Nightwing I do think it's pretty interesting how, for the first Rebirth crossover event, it's a true crossover (i.e., one continuing story spread out over all involved titles) over how either of the Big Two usually does it, where the crossover goes out of its way to split the group up as quickly as possible and then each involved title focuses on their specific titular character's perspective/storyline in the crossover. It's...a strange tack to take, especially since how it means you have to buy basically every book of the crossover for it to make the slightest modicum of sense. It's also bizarre to see like, Batman focus heavily on Batwoman and her team or Nightwing focus on Gotham Girl and Orphan to the point where neither book really feels like it has much of the stars it's named after. It's a good thing the trade dress features what part number each issue is, because I honestly think this crossover would make no loving sense if you didn't read all involved titles. Luckily, I do, but I really wonder what it's like if you just read Batman (or worse, just read Nightwing) and hit this story. Because, well, yeah.

Marvel did the same thing earlier this year with Spider-Women, and it even involved three titles like DC with Silk/Spider-Woman/Spider-Gwen, but those were all fairly low-selling books that weren't exactly like the cornerstone of Marvel. In contrast, utilizing Batman and Detective and Grayson like this is three of the more/most high-profile books DC has right now, so I wonder if it's gonna bite them in the butt. On the other hand, maybe they're just figuring that if you're buying Batman/Detective you're probably buying Grayson anyways, and you'll at least buy it for this specific crossover.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That's really my preferred way of doing a crossover. Just tell the story in five parts or whatever, it always feels pretty forced to me when a character-specific book is shanghaied for an issue to tell me what, I don't know, X-Man or whoever, is up to in the midst of the larger story.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm all in on Monster Men after 2 issues, but I'll admit I'm a sucker for any monster-themed story timed around October/Halloween/horror movie month. And I was already buying all the titles anyway so I don't have to go out of my way.

And Superman and Trinity were just :allears: I didn't have a great idea of what Trinity was supposed to be about, so I thought maybe it would be a title where Rebirth starts to slip a little bit, but nope, it just keeps on trucking.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think my preferred method is the split-up way as well, but with the caveat of an Alpha/Omega title to open and close the event. Although the true crossover method gives opportunity for character interaction not often/never seen before, the tradeoff is that it often feels like everyone loses their specific character voice/there's no real distinction or author perspective in the titles because everyone has a hand in everything. It also make the crossover so continuity-heavy you can, as a reader, lose the thread of what's going on because there's no barriers between titles. It also feels most like you're getting a story split up into parts (because, well, you are) to the point where it's hard to justify why the event isn't just an OGN or collected as a trade to be released all at once.

Plus it's like, if you don't give a poo poo about crossovers or only read some of the titles in it, then the story still more-or-less works as a standalone "here's what X was doing while this other, Y thing happened". Alpha/Omega oneshots allow for the people to care to get the sort of general thesis of what the event's about while not bogging the involved titles in exposition some readers might not want, and it's usually where the heavy character interactions go because all the characters group up in those issues.

That all being said, Spider-Women is probably my favorite crossover event that came out this year, but largely because it felt like everyone still kept their writing style going in and the writers seemed clearly energized to write each others' characters. Even Latour briefly improved from mediocre and it definitely cohered into a solid thing, so the other perspective can definitely work.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
God drat I really loved Trinity, Superman, and the Monster Men crossover.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The only thing missing from Monster Men is Damien. Hopefully he shows up at the end of part 6 and beats all the Monster Men and arrests Hugo Strange.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Detective No. 27 posted:

The only thing missing from Monster Men is Damien. Hopefully he shows up at the end of part 6 and beats all the Monster Men and arrests Hugo Strange.

He's got a Teen Titans team to build.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The first arc of Justice League felt underwhelming despite how dire everything was. I hope the next arc scales things back.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I hope Hugo Strange is just working out nude till they find him in the last issue.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Roth posted:

The first arc of Justice League felt underwhelming despite how dire everything was. I hope the next arc scales things back.

I hope the next arc isn't all about setting up another arc

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
For a sec I thought you were replying regarding Batman, and I thought, "Well, the next arc in Batman is I am Suicide, and we are going to get the Justice League/Suicide Squad event...."
...but again, the other half of that advertised event is Justice League, so I could sadly totally see them setting up for the crossover starting next issue.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

New Super-Man's Gene Luen Yang just received a MacArthur genius grant of $625,000 over five years :cheers:
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2016/09/22/gene-luen-yang-on-winning-a-macarthur-genius-grant/

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Now Marvel and DC each have a certified genius.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Superman is the best DC comic I've read in years and continues to get better. I was never a big fan of Tomasi before this book but he just knows how to write Clark and Lois so well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Superman is the best DC comic I've read in years and continues to get better. I was never a big fan of Tomasi before this book but he just knows how to write Clark and Lois so well.

That last page was a really wonderful cap to an excellent issue.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

X-O posted:

His Batman and Robin was killer and basically his proto-Batman in how it ruminates on father/son relationships.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Raven seems good enough to continue. I definitely feel that it has a lot of the problems Toxx mentioned, and that bit where Raven makes some girls think they're pregnant was really dumb.

Edit - Also, I never really read Green Arrow before Rebirth, but I really like Emiko Queen. I really hope she's the secret sixth member of Teen Titans and becomes BFFs with Damian.

Roth fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 22, 2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Roth posted:

Raven seems good enough to continue. I definitely feel that it has a lot of the problems Toxx mentioned, and that bit where Raven makes some girls think they're pregnant was really dumb.

Edit - Also, I never really read Green Arrow before Rebirth, but I really like Emiko Queen. I really hope she's the secret sixth member of Teen Titans and becomes BFFs with Damian.

You should read the Lemire Green Arrow run

The Range
Sep 20, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
Nothing to see here.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 23, 2016

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Ok then

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Is that El Diablo

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

hey dare

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Well, it's better than Identity Crisis.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
He said venom prison record so he could be talking about Bane making it DC related.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Madkal posted:

He said venom prison record so he could be talking about Bane making it DC related.

Yes, but that makes it untagged spoilers for the next Batman arc, so the ban makes sense.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I was lukewarm on King's run of Batman so far (good, was about to drop to trade-wait), but now Night of the Monster Men is really fun and I'm following a goddamn crossover event.
:)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Shipping thread just announced Wacky Raceland is a 6 issue series. Is this new? Because I was under the impression it was an ongoing, did the numbers do so bad they just straight-up cancel it after its first arc or was it always plotted as a limited series?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

Shipping thread just announced Wacky Raceland is a 6 issue series. Is this new? Because I was under the impression it was an ongoing, did the numbers do so bad they just straight-up cancel it after its first arc or was it always plotted as a limited series?

It's original solicit says nothing of it being a mini. Issue #4 is where they added the "of 6" part.

Here, from my invoices

quote:

JUN160317D WACKY RACELAND #3 3.99

quote:

JUL160387D WACKY RACELAND #4 (OF 6) 3.99

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 24, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel like Flintstones and Scooby Doo are the only ones of these Hanna Barbera adaptations that will have any sort of staying power.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Roth posted:

I feel like Flintstones and Scooby Doo are the only ones of these Hanna Barbera adaptations that will have any sort of staying power.

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2016/2016-08.html
100 Scooby Apocalypse 4 $3.99 DC 28,148
106 Future Quest 4 $3.99 DC 25,472
128 Flintstones 2 $3.99 DC 19,612
170 Wacky Raceland 3 $3.99 DC 13,648

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Roth posted:

Pretty much true of the cartoons too.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

Huh, that's surprising. I figured Flintstones would be selling more since it's a bigger franchise in general.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I feel like the Scooby title got more hubbub about it and has been kept alive in more ways than just "cereal commercial" (idk about any other Flintstones media, but I probably just wasn't paying attention). In any case, I'd figure that attention would've gotten more folks to check it out.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
I'm sorry I'm not buying the good hanana Barbara books and helped one be cancelled. They are on my wishlist. :(

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I wouldn't exactly call Wacky Raceland "good". It was different, to be sure...but good? Eh.

ed: The irony of this is that its cancellation means I'm definitely going to keep up with it. I was on the verge of dropping it after two straight issues of the dullest "look how tragically terrible everyone's life is" storytelling, but since it has an end and I've already read half of it I'll keep going till it's cancelled.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 25, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Future Quest is probably going to die more because Doc can't keep up the schedule more than due to sales. Parker literally had to draw half of the last issue himself.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'd take it just carrying on with Steve Rude if it has to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Toxxupation posted:

I wouldn't exactly call Wacky Raceland "good". It was different, to be sure...but good? Eh.

ed: The irony of this is that its cancellation means I'm definitely going to keep up with it. I was on the verge of dropping it after two straight issues of the dullest "look how tragically terrible everyone's life is" storytelling, but since it has an end and I've already read half of it I'll keep going till it's cancelled.

Different, yeah. I think I probably said this before, but it just feels... busy, without also feeling substantial to me. Maybe it's because I never really watched the original series and don't have a handle on the cartoon personalities of all these characters who've now gotten grimdarked up, and without that basis I'm left to try and keep track of all the racers, and now their cars too? It doesn't grab me enough, but I wish it did.