Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Is there any way to junk stuff without throwing it on the floor at a settlement?

There's no real *need* to scrap stuff, chuck it in your workbench as-is and it'll be scrapped automatically when required.

If you want to break down everything in order to keep the workbench inventory list tidy then you'll either need to drop it in a settlement, or get a mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I'm honestly surprised with all the factory stuff they didn't add an auto-scrapper machine.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

The Lone Badger posted:

There's no real *need* to scrap stuff, chuck it in your workbench as-is and it'll be scrapped automatically when required.

If you want to break down everything in order to keep the workbench inventory list tidy then you'll either need to drop it in a settlement, or get a mod.

The only problem with this is if you set up a supply line between two settlements. I believe junk in Settlement A doesn't get recognized as scrap in Settlement B. I like using the Manufacturing Extended mod and have a dedicated recycling facility in Hangman's Alley for that reason.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

GamingHyena posted:

The only problem with this is if you set up a supply line between two settlements. I believe junk in Settlement A doesn't get recognized as scrap in Settlement B.

Pretty sure it does. I've had no issues anyway.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Icedude posted:

I'm honestly surprised with all the factory stuff they didn't add an auto-scrapper machine.

There's no way to do it - the mechanisms for scrapping weapons and armor aren't exposed; the only way to do it would likely be with a script extender, if at all.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Hey we could just use the cool idea from New Vegas where weapons had strength requirements. Oh wait actually lets ignore everything good about New Vegas.

That would be extremely dumb since you can increase your special stats whenever you want with the new system. Though i agree with the sarcastic latter sentence. I get disappointed with my unarmed character in FO4 every time i load that save up.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Nasgate posted:

That would be extremely dumb since you can increase your special stats whenever you want with the new system. Though i agree with the sarcastic latter sentence. I get disappointed with my unarmed character in FO4 every time i load that save up.

with intense training in FO3/FNV you could also raise stats, though only 10 times

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Nasgate posted:

I also hate the new SPECIAL system so there's that. Besides, in FNV you could just get in power armor to make up the strength deficiency. Say I want to use a Gatling Laser or a Super Sledge but my strength is only 6 (so I can use This Machine or That Gun effectively). Hop in a suit of power armor and I'm able to use these heavy things effectively.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I hated Strength gating. A 60+ hour game doesn't need multiple playthroughs or me carrying syringes around so I can use this new toy I picked up.
I mostly did an Agility/Perception build but found a glowing rocket hammer in Nuka World. Smashing ghouls with it was a lot of fun, but not worth 10+ hours of new character generation and leveling.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I also hate the new SPECIAL system so there's that. Besides, in FNV you could just get in power armor to make up the strength deficiency. Say I want to use a Gatling Laser or a Super Sledge but my strength is only 6 (so I can use This Machine or That Gun effectively). Hop in a suit of power armor and I'm able to use these heavy things effectively.

You do realize that what you wear changing how you play the game is exactly what i suggested? except with my suggestion you actually have to wear it, wheras your stat restriction does not. Your suggestion lends itself to the lovely Bethesda style Ace of all trades.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I started a new character as all the dlc is out now and i got the season pass cheap when the game came out. I downloaded vault 1080 but didn't look where it was supposed to be and happened across it in my level 7 underequipped wanderings.

When i started getting my poo poo pushed in i made a bolt back to the church door but it wouldn't open (no prompt, even on reload) so I ended up using a console command to teleport to Red Rocket. Is there a different exit or was that a bug?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Do cats stack?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Is there any way to junk stuff without throwing it on the floor at a settlement?

A cheat way to do it is to have a location that you don't have any settlement stuff at (I use that broken af house just south of the Far Harbor quest starting place), drop everything on the ground, pop open your console and go "scrapall". All your goods are broken down and placed in the workshop and you didn't have to stare at your feet for sixty minutes processing each item.

Then you can pick it all up and Vertibird back to your home base.

A friend of mine who is big on Sanctuary does this at Red Rocket.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I use the Portable Junk Recycler. Carry it around with you to grind things up on-the-go.

Edit: Figuring out which mod is the one I actually use.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 21, 2016

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

A 60+ hour game doesn't need multiple playthroughs

:lol:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Stingwings (failed experiment in making a bug-defended Operator hideout - stupid gangers kept murdering the tame Radroaches)

Apparently if you tame a monster that passively spits out rads, settlers won't care but other notionally allied factions will flip the gently caress out.

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

NonzeroCircle posted:

I started a new character as all the dlc is out now and i got the season pass cheap when the game came out. I downloaded vault 1080 but didn't look where it was supposed to be and happened across it in my level 7 underequipped wanderings.

When i started getting my poo poo pushed in i made a bolt back to the church door but it wouldn't open (no prompt, even on reload) so I ended up using a console command to teleport to Red Rocket. Is there a different exit or was that a bug?

I had to tcl slightly through the door and found the activator to open it .. kind of disappointing mod.

Fake Edit: not the mod thread.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Glazius posted:

Apparently if you tame a monster that passively spits out rads, settlers won't care but other notionally allied factions will flip the gently caress out.

Hmph, bunch of limp-wristed fa... survivors, you ask me. Soak up some rads, it'll make you a god-drat sexual tyr.. Deathclaw.

Just like me.

<spits chaw>

In other news:

Settlers running a gang store only offer normal merch, not Nuka specials. <sigh>

Vault 88 has swole ghosts! (And if I'd known it was that common, I wouldn't have uploaded the drat video to Youtube.)(Unoccupied weight benches are doing lifts.)

As for linked workbenches and junk - yeah, your junk is shared across the network, just like it's supposed to be, along with food and water. You can't *access* specific items in one workbench that are present in a different one, so no pulling out Toy Rocketships in Vault 88 that you dropped in at Finch Farm - but the stuff is usable when crafting/building. (Not sure if leftover components appear locally or in the originating workbench.)

gently caress, killing Shank didn't make Croup Manor recapturable. :argh:

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Mosnar posted:

I had to tcl slightly through the door and found the activator to open it .. kind of disappointing mod.

Fake Edit: not the mod thread.

Oh yeah, forgot about the mod thread, for some reason my brain decided it was DLC, derp.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Eau de MacGowan posted:

You mean like open a workbench and press the button that automatically stores all of your junk?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

My point is that there's a shitton to do already and not much that earns repeating. Until the last 3rd of the game your choices are "do a quest/Do a quest begrudgingly", "kill questgiver" or "avoid quest". Fallout gives you enough of everything that I don't see the need to do it again but now I store my crits.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Arsten posted:

A cheat way to do it is to have a location that you don't have any settlement stuff at (I use that broken af house just south of the Far Harbor quest starting place), drop everything on the ground, pop open your console and go "scrapall". All your goods are broken down and placed in the workshop and you didn't have to stare at your feet for sixty minutes processing each item.

Then you can pick it all up and Vertibird back to your home base.

A friend of mine who is big on Sanctuary does this at Red Rocket.

Why would you need to do any of this?

You don't need to break down desk fans and hot plates and such, you can just keep them in your workshop and they will be automatically broken down any time you try to craft something which contains one of their components.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Yeah I don't think I ever had to manually break down anything. I don't get it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I think even the Builder machines from Contraptions automatically break down items that get sent to them, storing the extra unused components.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

The only time there's a need to manually scrap stuff from inventory is for breaking down non-armor apparel (clothing, hats, glasses).

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I think that's a hold over mentality back from when the game launched, when everyone was under the impression that using items like that to craft at a workbench wasted every component you didn't need.

That's not the case (any more, at least) but some people may not have gotten the news.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Orange Sunshine posted:

Why would you need to do any of this?

You don't need to break down desk fans and hot plates and such, you can just keep them in your workshop and they will be automatically broken down any time you try to craft something which contains one of their components.

Because the workshop won't auto-destroy clothes, armor, and guns. I don't care about the actual junk, I'm talking about the other stuff.

Speedball posted:

I think even the Builder machines from Contraptions automatically break down items that get sent to them, storing the extra unused components.

Is there a machine that will destroy stuff in Contraptions? I looked and couldn't find one when it first came out.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I think that's a hold over mentality back from when the game launched, when everyone was under the impression that using items like that to craft at a workbench wasted every component you didn't need.

That's not the case (any more, at least) but some people may not have gotten the news.

Well, excess components are dumped in the workbench inventory instead of your inventory. If you craft at some raider workbench in the middle of nowhere and don't know that, they are effectively lost.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Glazius posted:

Well, excess components are dumped in the workbench inventory instead of your inventory. If you craft at some raider workbench in the middle of nowhere and don't know that, they are effectively lost.

If it's actually raider (Nuka-Ganger, anyway) once you're not allied you can't use the workbench anyway; otherwise, just remember to loot it before you go (don't leave nothing for Charlie Cappy!). If it's just a crafting station, I haven't found any that are "owned" like that, and leftover materials will be kept in the station's inventory, which can be looted before you leave.

I may be wrong, but I've used other folks' Weapons/Armor/Power Armor stations a ton, and never lost anything unless I outright forgot to take my leftovers.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

hup posted:

Can you get Jamaica plain without Preston? Every time I try to get it early it insists I haven't killed everything.
Jamaica Plain is terrible for being hard to clear because there's hidden ferals in buildings all over the drat place, in buildings and on roofs and stuff and if you miss one of them it doesn't count as cleared yet. There's a bunch in the city hall building, and even if you do the Treasures quest you can miss a few of them on the upper floor if you headed straight for the basement.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Arsten posted:

Is there a machine that will destroy stuff in Contraptions? I looked and couldn't find one when it first came out.

I don't think there's a straight-up weapon mulcher, no. Factory machines will mulch junk loaded into them when they craft stuff, but equipment is something you want to probably do yourself. Especially since you get more out of it with the Scrapper perks anyway.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Golden Bee posted:

My point is that there's a shitton to do already and not much that earns repeating. Until the last 3rd of the game your choices are "do a quest/Do a quest begrudgingly", "kill questgiver" or "avoid quest". Fallout gives you enough of everything that I don't see the need to do it again but now I store my crits.

In F4 maybe, over half the quests in FNV have like 2-3 different outcomes on top of 'kill questgiver/ignore quest'

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Manufacturing extended mod has an autoscrapper and some much needed workshop integration bits. Get it, its good.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Wolfsheim posted:

In F4 maybe, over half the quests in FNV have like 2-3 different outcomes on top of 'kill questgiver/ignore quest'

The Caesar's Legion questline was cool because you just did most of the main quests from the other perspective and a lot of sidequests had legion-aligned resolutions you could only get with high caesar rep.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also access to the Legion safehouse for the Lucky Shades.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Buschmaki posted:

The Caesar's Legion questline was cool because you just did most of the main quests from the other perspective and a lot of sidequests had legion-aligned resolutions you could only get with high caesar rep.

FNV will likely remain installed on whatever gaming rig I have forever. Fallout 4 will maybe remain until the next pretty graphics sandbox game

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

Agreed. 4 unique endgames including "gently caress everyone."

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, I just tried out Nuka World as a good guy who killed the Raiders as soon as they started asking me to take over settlements. Definitely one loving HELL of a fight, but sad. I think I like raider settlements too much to go back to the normal Minuteman model. Even if it does mean giving up Sentry Bot supply lines.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Did you know raiders can survive entirely on a diet of jet and vodka? It's true!
(Hunger is just a happiness penalty, so with enough pick-me-up stations and booze stills it's no problem)

If you want to feed your raiders normal food you really need to build up normal settlements specifically so you can use them as tributaries.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Sep 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Hmph, bunch of limp-wristed fa... survivors, you ask me. Soak up some rads, it'll make you a god-drat sexual tyr.. Deathclaw.

Just like me.

<spits chaw>

Yeah, strap this on your sore rads, Blain.

• Locked thread