Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joke_explainer

joke_explainer posted:

well continue in my series of 'realizing I should have done more on my big bbq day', i'm making some bbq beans tonight. I roughly followed the 'best baked beans ever' recipe from here: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/06/best-barbecue-beans-recipe.html

soak your beans overnight. I used a mix of small red beans, pinto beans, and great northern beans.

first onion:

chop onion as directed a few posts ago:

get other things, in this case a jalapeno, some serrano, garlic, and a green bell pepper. I generally would have used bigger cloves of garlic but I was at the end of a bulb and didn't want to waste it.

cut the other things up. Man this jalapeno was big!

pick up some nice smokey bacon:

cook the bacon:

it's done when it looks like this:

remove the bacon and set aside on paper towels, then throw the onion into the bacon fat. don't drain the bacon fat. after about 7 minutes of cooking up those onions on medium/medium-high, depending on your burners, throw in the remainder of the stuff you diced or mined up.

Only let the garlic and other stuff sizzle for about a minute. Garlic burns very quickly. Pour some chicken stock in there.

Then your reserved water and beans.

I actually was making two pots, so the recipe is roughly halved in this pot. If you have an 8 qt or maybe even a 6 qt dutch oven, you could do it all in one easy.

At this stage, let it come to a boil, then reduce to simmer and cover. Let it sit there for about an hour. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 300 degrees.

Make a BBQ sauce. This one was just ketchup, mustard, adobo sauce, smoked jalapeno (chipotle) dried pepper ground, cayenne pepper, mustard, molasses, honey, salt, pepper, apple cider vinegar, and a bunch of hot sauce and some worcestershire, and eventually some dark brown sugar and turbinado sugar.

Added the turbinado sugar just so it'd be a little sweeter.

okay hour is up. I have like 6 pounds of smoked ribs in my freezer so I dethawed one bag of four and put two ribs in each pot, and the sauce.

And now they are in the oven at 300 for 4 hours. Supposedly after 4 hours, you take the cover off and let it cook down, concentrate, and generate those pleasant Maillard reactions from the top of the dish. we'll see! I currently have like 2.5 more hours of waiting on beans.

i got a new camera btw (quoting because I just bumped myself off the new page)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

whenever you put a sauce together like that, taste it as you go to make sure all the things you are looking for are there. a good bbq sauce is smokey, spicy, sweet, and tangy, and savory, so you want to cover all dimensions. I think I am okay at it but its definitely something you adjust as you go along. blending some cooked onions and garlic and preserves or pepper jelly in there makes an amazing addition (but I already have onions in the beans so I didn't do that here, simple sauce)

joke_explainer

Coming along pretty good. Added a little water to both as they were cooking down faster, probably because I was using two pots instead of one big one. Shouldn't overly affect the end result. Not the best photo:

Only about 1 hr and 30 min to go. Not a great project for a work night.

joke_explainer

All done!

I had a small bowl. Very good.

After letting it cool, vacuum packed the rest and now have five bags of two-person servings of BBQ baked beans in the freezer. I'm ready for any emergency in the near future where we need baked beans.

poverty goat

this is that carmelized onion+goat cheese poo poo

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
making more concord grape jelly today

treasure bear

I had to throw away half a chilli because I forgot to put it in the fridge :(

So this is a kind of memorial post.

goodbye~

2016-2016

alnilam

~~in the arms of an angel~
~fly away from here~~

City of Glompton

bump

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Robot Made of Meat

Luvcow posted:

making more concord grape jelly today

How can you have any grapes to jell when they're so d*rned tasty to eat?

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Boomzilla

I generally cook and eat like a 14 year old left to his own devices. A lot of bacon and sausage and potatoes and cheesy pastas. But I think I'm gonna roast a nice pork loin and quick pickle some carrots and daikon and make some bahn mi this weekend. We'll see how that goes.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Robot Made of Meat posted:

How can you have any grapes to jell when they're so d*rned tasty to eat?

They are wild and have seeds and there are tons of grapes, more than i could ever use. Made two batches this year and there were still lots on the vines.

Robot Made of Meat

Boomzilla posted:

I generally cook and eat like a 14 year old left to his own devices. A lot of bacon and sausage and potatoes and cheesy pastas. But I think I'm gonna roast a nice pork loin and quick pickle some carrots and daikon and make some bahn mi this weekend. We'll see how that goes.

Sounds tasty. Be sure to get pics to post (those so often get forgotten).

Tiberius Thyben

Gone Phishing

I think I am going to make some steak tacos next week. It's a new recipe, though, so I don't know how it will turn out.

I could also make a simple dill pickle dip, latkes, or really good mushroom soup. Thoughts?

You guys won't judge me for simple recipes, will you?

Boomzilla

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I think I am going to make some steak tacos next week. It's a new recipe, though, so I don't know how it will turn out.

I could also make a simple dill pickle dip, latkes, or really good mushroom soup. Thoughts?

You guys won't judge me for simple recipes, will you?

I want to know your mushroom soup recipe

City of Glompton

the recipe in the op was egg salad sandwiches, I think simple is fine

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Tiberius Thyben

Gone Phishing

Boomzilla posted:

I want to know your mushroom soup recipe
Not sure when I will get around to it, but here is the recipe. No pics, though.

¼ cup butter
¼ cup all purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1-2 bay leaves
2/3 cups chopped celery
¼ cup finely chopped onion
3 tablespoons cooking oil
4-5 cups fresh mushrooms
2/3 cup half and half cream

In a 2 qt saucepan, melt butter, stir in flour until smooth.
Gradually stir in broth until smooth
add salt, pepper and bay leaves
Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally
meanwhile, in another pan, saute celery and onions until tender
add mushrooms, cook, and stir until tender
add to broth mixture: bring to a boil
reduce heat: simmer: uncovered: for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally
add cream and heat through
discard bay leaves.

Will do it proper when I am not broke.

Edit: Also. I could do my kokum's bannock recipe, along with some Cree history, some time.
E2: Or Stuffed Jalapenos.
E3: Also also. Does anyone not know what latkes are, because they are awesome.

Tiberius Thyben fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 22, 2016

fuck. marry. t-rex

I eat egg, beans, sweet potatoes, arugala, broccoli, onion, bell pepper, spinach, bread, pasta, lots of dairy, whatever meat I can get for free or discounted

fuck. marry. t-rex

I've been cooking a lot of big dinners and plating them but i keep forgetting to take pictures.

The nicest this week was grilled skin-on trout with: grilled lemon, sautéed veg, and some pear and soft cheese

fuck. marry. t-rex

Last night i made beef stoganoff on egg noodles and a waldorf salad

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

I've been cooking a lot of big dinners and plating them but i keep forgetting to take pictures.

The nicest this week was grilled skin-on trout with: grilled lemon, sautéed veg, and some pear and soft cheese

Am i remembering wrong or are you a chef/line cook or something?

fuck. marry. t-rex

Luvcow posted:

Am i remembering wrong or are you a chef/line cook or something?

I'm. :] these are at home meals tho. Showing work at work is cheatign

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Most i ever did was prep work, short order cook and pizzas/calzones, i am jealous of people who get to play with so much food for a job. Whenever my friends who are chefs talk about food i shut up and just make millions of mental notes and try my best to understand what they're talking about.

Nooner

AN A+ OPSTER (:
im gonna make THIS tonight http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3401971#post390019343 im excited!

joke_explainer

I'm in a national park and made a fancy camp meal for my last day. Dried mushrooms, dried noodles, butter and a brick of parmesan, salt and pepper, garlic, and a lemon. Rehydrated the mushrooms and then sautéed them in butter, then added thin-sliced garlic at the last minute or so. Took that all off heat and used the other pot to boil some water and get the pasta going. Drained them and then mixed in butter, freshly shredded parmesan, mushrooms and garlic, salt, pepper. Served and squeezed lemon juice on them and topped with some more parmesan. It was good stuff. Maybe the non-phone pics turned out better, only have this crappy one right now, it was pretty dark when I finished.

Robot Made of Meat

joke_explainer posted:

I'm in a national park and made a fancy camp meal for my last day. Dried mushrooms, dried noodles, butter and a brick of parmesan, salt and pepper, garlic, and a lemon. Rehydrated the mushrooms and then sautéed them in butter, then added thin-sliced garlic at the last minute or so. Took that all off heat and used the other pot to boil some water and get the pasta going. Drained them and then mixed in butter, freshly shredded parmesan, mushrooms and garlic, salt, pepper. Served and squeezed lemon juice on them and topped with some more parmesan. It was good stuff. Maybe the non-phone pics turned out better, only have this crappy one right now, it was pretty dark when I finished.

I would eat the hell out of that!

Robot Made of Meat

Last night i made beef stoganoff on egg noodles and a waldorf salad

I love me some stroganoff and eggy noodles, but waldorfs are not currently in season.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

hi, renegret said i could probably put this here and it would be an okay recipe for a crock pot type thing for fall byob celebrations.

hamjobs posted:

64 oz water
10 apples, halved or quartered (it's up to you bud)
1/2 c pumpkin puree (not pie filling, just pumpkin)
1/4 c brown sugar
cinnamon sticks to taste (use a bunch, like 4 or 5)
a whole nutmeg or a ground whole nutmeg, about a teaspoon
whole cloves to taste (a tablespoon is good here)
allspice to taste (a teaspoon is plenty)
black pepper to taste (use at least a couple of good grinds)
a dash of your favorite red pepper (cayenne is good but i like gochugaru here too)

mix all that up in your slow cooker, cook it on low, then mash the apples after 2-3 hours or whenever they're really loving soft. cook it on high heat for at least another hour or two, then cool it, strain it, and drink it hot or cold.

there are a bunch of blogs with a similar recipe out there too.

no pictures yet, but a big ol' batch simmering away on my counter, making my house smell autumnal and maybe even festive, even though it's 90F outside.

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.

hamjobs posted:

hi, renegret said i could probably put this here and it would be an okay recipe for a crock pot type thing for fall byob celebrations.

no pictures yet, but a big ol' batch simmering away on my counter, making my house smell autumnal and maybe even festive, even though it's 90F outside.

gonna make this cider this week, i'm glad you posted this <3

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

Tiberius Thyben

Gone Phishing

So, here is my first post with actual pictures here and my phone camera kinda sucks, but here we go!

I ended up choosing to make a fairly easy dill pickle dip. I got the base recipe from some site back in the depths of time, but kept changing it bit by bit every time I made it until it was what it is now.

Ingredients:

250g/8 ounces/1 cup cream cheese, room temperature
3/4 cup sour cream
1 cup chopped pickles
3 tbs minced white onions
1 tbs Worchestershire sauce
3 tbs chopped dill

Blurry photo of ingredients before prep.

Begin by putting your onions, dill, and pickles in a small bowl.

Blurry onions.

Dill added

I forgot to tape a pic with the pickles added to the dill and onions, but pretend I did.

After that, I prefer to add the Worcestershire and cream cheese and mix it them into the chopped stuff before adding the sour cream and mixing again, to make sure I don't end up with chunks of cream cheese suspended in sour cream.

After that, it should look like this.

And be ready to cover and put in the fridge, either for a couple hours, or overnight, before serving. Will add a pic of the finished product once it's done chilling.

Dip is pretty good with either carrots or chips.

Tiberius Thyben

Gone Phishing

Finished product.

poverty goat

:yum:

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

those are some nice looking breads

The_Book_Of_Harry

gonna jump-in with both feet and post a couple images from the last week or three

The_Book_Of_Harry

so what's up with bacalhau (salted cod)?

rumor says that there are more prep techniques than days in a year...

any favorites, ITT?

-----

personal food history

-shared Lithuanian/Jewish and Scot-Irish Southern USA influence

-fell in love with food at Cornell's Hotel School

-lived/worked with a CIA grad for years

-front of house restaurant employee for 10+ years, specializing in French/Italian/new-American cuisine

-currently working for an El-Salvadoran (influenced) mid-scale place

Manifisto

wow that looks delicious, especially this finished plate

I need this inside me, stat

treasure bear

i got fed up of having to buy a new nonstick teflon woks once a year because of ruining the surface and having it flake off into my food so i decided to look into doing it properly

so i got myself a nice cheap mild carbon steel wok for £14 and season it

seasoning a wok basically is just burning oil into the surface to create a nonstick layer

nice and clean and pretty, not for long...

scrubbed off the factory machining oil with soapy water, left it to heat up on the hob until it started oxidising.

added canola oil and spread it around over the surface with a paper towel

fried up some onion and ginger until it started to burn, spreading it around as much as possible

repeated the oil step several times

not very even but it's ready for cooking and will just keep getting darker and darker with use, it should last a decade

Robot Made of Meat

If you want pretty, get a set of Revere Ware, and hang it on the d*mn wall. If you want real pans, use them!

fuck. marry. t-rex

Canola isn't a very good oil for seasoning I'd do flaxseed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasure bear

Canola isn't a very good oil for seasoning I'd do flaxseed

most guides seem to list it, the only other oil I have on hand is olive oil which would be terrible