Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
have a custom 912 with fa nib and a bottle of yama-dori coming tomorrow, life will be grand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Get that sheen.

I finally tried out the bottle of Sailor Irori I picked up a couple of weeks ago.

The picture doesn't do justice to how much it pops on the page. Nice red.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I got a couple of Pilot Penmanship pens off Amazon for crazy cheap bundled with a couple con50 converters. They arrived today - one is clear so it will be an eye dropper and one is black. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the nib and feed come out completely and can be swapped with a Metropolitan, so now one of my metros has an EF nib! It writes really well too. I didn't expect much from a six dollar fountain pen but now I have an EF and medium (from the metro) Penmanship as well as an EF and medium Metro.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

rio posted:

I got a couple of Pilot Penmanship pens off Amazon for crazy cheap bundled with a couple con50 converters. They arrived today - one is clear so it will be an eye dropper and one is black. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the nib and feed come out completely and can be swapped with a Metropolitan, so now one of my metros has an EF nib! It writes really well too. I didn't expect much from a six dollar fountain pen but now I have an EF and medium (from the metro) Penmanship as well as an EF and medium Metro.

The Metro, Kakuno, Penmanship, Plumix, Prera and 78G all share the same nibs and feeds and they can be swapped between those pens without issues. This includes the broad and double broad italics that were only available on the 78G.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

rio posted:

I'd be careful about using the penmanship as an eye dropper. It's extremely fragile and very prone to falling out of pockets and breaking.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

GoldenNugget posted:

I'd be careful about using the penmanship as an eye dropper. It's extremely fragile and very prone to falling out of pockets and breaking.

Hmm, thanks for the warning. Maybe I will reconsider - I saw the clear plastic and that was my first thought.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Lamy 2k report: three weeks of reasonably heavy note-taking and I only now have to refill it.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

When I first found this thread I ended up buying a metro and some noodler's black ink. It's been a while since then, but now I just got a noodler's ahab flex nib pen and a bottle of iroshizuku asa-gao.

I think I'm developing a problem, but I'm not sure if the problem is "pen addiction" or "not enough money I can justify spending on pens". Has the list of nice, affordable pens changed much since the OP was last updated? I feel like I should own something with a broad tip.

While I'm at it, is there a good way to keep the top of the nib from getting messy all the time?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

You are developing a problem but that problem is getting an Ahab.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Klades posted:

I think I'm developing a problem, but I'm not sure if the problem is "pen addiction" or "not enough money I can justify spending on pens". Has the list of nice, affordable pens changed much since the OP was last updated? I feel like I should own something with a broad tip.

The big one it's missing is the TWSBI Eco which, opinions on the brand aside, is a fantastic value.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I've been on kind of a binge lately. Ordered a pilot Cavalier fine for 28 bucks because it seemed like a good deal as well as a Parallel 1.5mm. I need to stop, I have like 5 new cheap pens that have come this week. Three on the way that I saw in SA Mart that I am psyched about - a vac700, a Falcon and a vanishing point! My 12 pen holder is now full + 2 pens and with three on the way I need to expand my storage. And I am keeping them all inked. I think I have a problem.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
There's been very little fanfare about it, but the Twsbi Diamond Mini AL has been released.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I kind of want the palladium Lamy LX but it's a lot of money but I'm afraid it will sell out quickly :ohdear:

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
The Pilot Parallels are weird but crazy fun. Aesthetically, the plate nib design is pleasing, and they're nice to write with. It's cool being able to scribble with the point of the edge, as well as the flat of it. Ultimately, I fell for the mixable ink gimmick. It's a good gimmick. The Pilot con-50 fits like a charm, but my fountain pen inks don't mix as nicely as the proprietary cartridges. Biggest problem I have is sometimes getting too much ink transferred between pens, resulting in the cartridge being contaminated with the other colour. I'm sure you could figure out how to transfer ink from a bottle onto the parallel nib, so that you don't need two, but it's kind of fun using one pen to feed another. If you buy them, get some extra cartridges or have some con-50s ready to go. The red and black they come with isn't satisfying to mix for long.

The 1.5 nib is nice for writing with--I'm getting crazy shading from the Herbin 1670 brown, and the gold hasn't choked it yet. The 2.4 makes for nice calligraphy or highlighting finer text, and the 3.8 is going to be my highlighter for course notes/editing once I get another con-50 (finally, a use for the Diabolo Menthe I regret buying!) The 6mm is hilarious and I dunno what the hell I'll do with it.

What's on everyone's wishlist right now? I'd like 2-3 more con-50s for my parallels and metros, a couple plumixs (so I can bash the nibs onto two of my metros), a bottle of Noodler's Lexington Grey, a TWSBI 580 broad nib, and an ink miser so I can load WonderPens samples into a TWSBI.

e: the text is from the collaborative writing project, SCP Foundation. Lots of creepy short stories and concepts.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 21, 2016

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Oh drat. I didn't know that there was a .6mm - I would have gone for that since I was just looking for the smallest one I could find. I like the 1.5 but I do find it to be too big for any lined paper.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Not point 6.... just 6. It's like writing with a flat head screwdriver.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Pixelante posted:

Not point 6.... just 6. It's like writing with a flat head screwdriver.

Oooooh ok. Yeah, that must be nuts. Maybe I should try writing with a flat head as a dip pen!

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

howe_sam posted:

The big one it's missing is the TWSBI Eco which, opinions on the brand aside, is a fantastic value.

The Eco is goddamn fantastic.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Pixelante posted:

What's on everyone's wishlist right now? I'd like 2-3 more con-50s for my parallels and metros, a couple plumixs (so I can bash the nibs onto two of my metros), a bottle of Noodler's Lexington Grey, a TWSBI 580 broad nib, and an ink miser so I can load WonderPens samples into a TWSBI.

The new Edison Nouveau Premier was on my wishlist for as long as it took me to mash the purchase button on Goulet's website. It's real purdy, guys.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Pelikan Edelstein Aquamarine is a bit of a disappointment. Far too green for my tastes.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Meaning to pick up a Pilot Parallel when I have the spare cash, but my wishlist right now is mostly inks and maybe one or two expensive "if I won the lottery" pens like the Visconti Homo Sapiens Dark Age.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

lol if you don't just use a syringe to re-ink pilot cartridges

My wishlist is down to another Vanishing Point and some Sailor Jentle inks.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
my wishlist right now is a vintage Pilot Elite with a soft nib. I've seen several on ebay but don't need to be spending money on pens right now so I keep watching them go :(

grack
Jan 10, 2012

My wishlist is another Delta to throw on the giant pile

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I have kind of an inverse wish list at the moment. I've got a number of pens I wouldn't mind selling to cull my collection a touch...

...and finance another fancy pen purchase.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

grack posted:

My wishlist is another Delta to throw on the giant pile

They're all celluloid so you can't even burn them for heat in the mad max wasteland we'll live in after Trump gets elected :(. They'll all just burn in a second.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

They're all celluloid so you can't even burn them for heat in the mad max wasteland we'll live in after Trump gets elected :(. They'll all just burn in a second.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SU4XWEO

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
"fusion" nib :jerkbag:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
We all know it's a dumb gimmick, but two tone nibs are pretty so :shrug:

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

The thing that really got me was the pamphlet that came with it that tried to explain the benefits of the fusion nib scientifically. Ridiculous nonsense.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

atholbrose posted:

The thing that really got me was the pamphlet that came with it that tried to explain the benefits of the fusion nib scientifically. Ridiculous nonsense.

Yeah, and all of that bullshit is unnecessary. I own one fusion nib pen but I've tried a few and the nibs are all really good.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I tried Pilot's new flagship, the Custom Urushi, today. The nib is no joke - seriously one of the best I've ever written with. Frigging expensive.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Kessel posted:

I tried Pilot's new flagship, the Custom Urushi, today. The nib is no joke - seriously one of the best I've ever written with. Frigging expensive.

Aannnd at the other end of the spectrum, look what I found in a local department store! (I work in the Middle East.)

I should have bought more. They were about $1.50 each, so I picked up two, two different colours - I'll try two different inks in them.

I bought a packet of cheap cartridges, too, but on opening the pens I found they have a fitted ink sac, so no cartridge. I also had to spend about 10 mnutes gettign the sticky gun off the barrel where the price label had been sitting.

But the bonus is that the one I've inked up, at least, writes quite well! It's light as heck, of course, but there's a good enough flow. It's a bit of fun, of course, and not a serious alternative to a better pen, but well worth $1.50!

Teach fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 26, 2016

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Are there any recommendations for brass pens that will patina? I recently saw the kaweco supra and figured I would ask to see why the thread thought.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

ZeusCannon posted:

Are there any recommendations for brass pens that will patina? I recently saw the kaweco supra and figured I would ask to see why the thread thought.

Karas Kustoms are pretty sweet and machined right here in the good 'ol USA! You can get them in brushed aluminum, brass, copper, and a bunch of different colors of anodized aluminum.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I have the brass kaweco liliput and I love it. Developed a nice patina way faster than I thought so that's awesome.

The nib had a mild case of baby bottom which is apparently a thing with some of them, but I just wrote over some rough paper and it's been a solid performer ever since

The Wolfen
Apr 12, 2007
Wanted Ghost Coon. Cannot be treed or trapped. Reward Ghost Coon Skin Cap!
Fun Shoe
I will chime in that I love my Karas Kustoms Fountain K, and have carried it every day since my fiancee got it for me in April. I have the brass grip on mine, and have loved the look as it has developed a patina over time. One thing I will mention is that even the EF nib I have on it is fairly broad especially when compared to my TWSBI 580AL EF. If that doesn't bother you, then I think you'd be plenty happy with the Fountain K.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Well, once again the thread has gotten me to check out a pen I've never heard of. I like that kustom a lot, especially for the price. I think my opinion of the knurled end of the cap would vary constantly depending on my mood that day, but that's not necessarily a bad thing

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I really need to stop washing bits of fountain pens down the sink. At least the trap was easier to get off this time.

(trim ring from a Parker 45)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

grack posted:

I really need to stop washing bits of fountain pens down the sink. At least the trap was easier to get off this time.

I almost flipped a parallel nib down the sink last night. I think one of these covers should be standard issue when you buy your first fountain pen. I'd have been pissed to lose it--the parallels remain super fun. I've been messing around with them when I'm supposed to be doing other things. The plate nibs are really satisfying to write with, though they're ink vampires. I didn't think I could refill the cartridges, but I managed to find an unused syringe from veterinary stuff--works great. (I only stabbed myself once.)

ZeusCannon posted:

I covet the kaweco fireblue, but a pen that's over $100 really should have the capacity for a converter. Someone else in the thread also commented that the brass pens leave a scent on your hands. I don't know if that'd bother me. I think the Pen Nazi in town has Kawecos but I've run out of stamina for assholes.

Last night I managed to tip a half-full sample of 1670 Emeraude on my desk. Surprisingly small stain, and now I'll have to buy the full bottle. I've already got Rouge Hematite, Stormy Grey, and Caroube. They're meh in a metro M, but absolutely amazing in a broad or stub nib.