Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Man I forgot just how dark this game gets.

It does get into "Hurray! Not quite everyone is dead!" territory a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

After quite a bit of headache with constant Whack spells, I've managed to secure a Mimic Heart. My party is safe to continue on the journey with nobody getting redundant vocation experience. I wanted to get more hearts from the Lucky Panel game but whenever one comes up that I don't have I never win. It'd be awesome to get, like, the Well Wisher Heart... maybe tomorrow, after the next place.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i'm absolutely terrible at lucky panel, i think i've only won once.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Pick the five panels on the bottom row to start- if you can reveal the shuffle card and mark down the rest, you have pretty good odds. Just use a pen & paper or a spreadsheet or something, I made 156k off Lucky Panel and won 14 monster hearts.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

All the DQ7 talk got me to dust off my copy of DQ4 DS I've been playing on and off the last few months. The ways the Psaro fight encourages you to swap party members around to keep your buffs up is neat for a final boss fight.

Also every turn he wastes with that disrupting light nonsense is another where Alena and Ragnar give him the pain. :black101:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Dr Pepper posted:

Man I forgot just how dark this game gets.

I could never forget the village where everyone gets turned to stone, the one survivor goes out on a quest to find a cure, and many years later when he succeeds, he realizes the statues have eroded too much for them to be saved.

And the best/worst part was that he knows that if he had the presence of mind to move the statues into shelter before setting out they could have been cured no problem.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
In my lust for portable JRPGs I ended up buying DQ7. Right off the bat I noticed a few things.. is it just me or are the menus really sluggish/have some input lag, and does the very first area (outside of your house) have some crazy frame rate dips? I worry that these things will annoy me in the long run, or perhaps I'll just get used to it :ohdear:

Also, I've never played a single Dragon Quest game before so some of the menu stuff has me stumped (and the manual isn't much help):
- What is the bag used for? I'm guessing character inventory is limited and it's used as extra storage? Can you use items from the bag or is it simply storage?
- What do you use Examine for? I know in older games they often had an Examine option instead of just pressing A in front of an object, but pressing A seems to be a thing in this game

(This one might be answered once I actually get to my first battle, but eh)
- What's Tactics for? The manual makes it sound like auto-battle. Is it for grinding or is your party AI controlled?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
First thing you need to understand is that a lot of poo poo in DQ is there for tradition's sake. Like the sound effects have almost barely ever changed all the way from the beginning of the series, and yes, the 'Examine' function is another artifact of that time period that remains for that sense of nostalgia despite the fact that you can just press 'A'.

Yep, limited individual inventories are a thing, and the bag is for all the stuff you don't need right now. The game is pretty good about auto-sorting stuff for you when individual inventories get too full, so it's not a big deal IMO.

'Tactics' is something you can do to let the AI handle fights for your party members. Most people will never deal with it and give commands themselves the entire game. Again, a product of nostalgia retaining a function that doesn't really need to be there.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I like having the option of letting the AI handle the other characters for easy battles.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

To answer your questions

- Each character has a limited inventory for equipment and other items. The bag is unlimited space, but nothing in it can be used in battle.
- Examine's basically there because part of the series is deliberate throw backs to NES RPGs. It does the same thing as pressing A.
- It's AI party member control yes. You can set it for everyone but the Hero.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Also once you have party members, be sure to use party chat (press b) a lot. They usually have commentary for a lot of things, including townspeople, dungeon floors, and story events.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, since Kiefer just hits stuff there's literally no reason not to just have him on Show No Mercy so he can spam Flame Slash. Same with Ruff, at least so far.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

I like having the option of letting the AI handle the other characters for easy battles.

It was mandatory for me not losing my mind while grinding jobs in DQVI on the ocean floor because of that weird bug (feature?) that the ocean didnt have a level cap for job growth

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pureauthor posted:

First thing you need to understand is that a lot of poo poo in DQ is there for tradition's sake.

Thanks everyone, that's what I figured :3:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

One thing to note about the bag is you can't use items in battle if theyre in the bag, so managing what healing items you have available is pretty important when exploring dungeons and stuff. be careful out there.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Do you ever get more party members in 7 besides ruff? Because I feel like I am decently through and ain't got no one.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

CharlestheHammer posted:

Do you ever get more party members in 7 besides ruff? Because I feel like I am decently through and ain't got no one.

Yeah, there are two more.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
When do you get them I am at 35 hours.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

One quirk of the A.I in DQ games is that it picks its action the moment its turn comes up rather then at the start of the round like the player does.

This means that an A.I party member set to heal can "cheat" and cure damage done on the same round.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

You can get one after getting the moon and requires a little quest and the last one comes out of the blue right before the last couple of islands.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

CharlestheHammer posted:

You'll get your next party member once an island with a certain old musician has been cleared and you return to the present. It's a little tricky to do but you should do it.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
I love the new Streetpass and Download Bar content that was added to the game, I kind of over-leveled myself from the beginning because of the Treasure Hunt tablet though. I went into the world and saw an enemy that wasn't in the original game, got a critical hit from the first attack and then boom, gained 9 levels.

Looks like I won't have to worry about grinding until after I am able to switch classes.

It is really great being able to play DQ VII on 3DS. I don't have the time anymore to play a long game as I did 15 years ago, and the episodic nature of the islands and quick save function makes it easy to play for the short time I am able to each day.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

CharlestheHammer posted:

You really aren't very far into the game at all probably.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

YggiDee posted:

Pick the five panels on the bottom row to start- if you can reveal the shuffle card and mark down the rest, you have pretty good odds. Just use a pen & paper or a spreadsheet or something, I made 156k off Lucky Panel and won 14 monster hearts.

Yeah, lucky panel is so good it totally trivializes money. I had a full set of gear, much better than anything available in stores, and 80k gold at level 20. Another little tip, the gear in the modern day lucky panel is different than the one in the past.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Is there really a point to spells in DQVII? Looks like some abilities do roughly the same amount of damage for no MP-cost, so you can just spam them instead while spellcasters run out and become wimpy stick-hitters.

EDIT: Also, do you automatically bump into the monster meadows-guy later in the main quest, or is it some side-guy I've managed to miss? I've done the not-egypt island and gotten a ton of monsters to "join" the meadows, but can't see them anywhere there and the old dude just says we don't have a caretaker.

DQVII didn't really seem to hit the spot for me but I remember liking 9 quite a lot, so I dusted it up on the old DS. Looks like the online functionality is gone now, and at least 64 quests are only for people who log into the online-thing that doesn't exist anymore. Found an action replay-code that gives all the extra quests, but that broke the game for me (can't talk to some NPCs anymore, so I can't continue the main quest). Bleh. :(

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 22, 2016

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's important to keep in mind that the sixth party member is a replacement for Maribel, who leaves you out of nowhere after one of the last few islands. You'll get the option to pick your final party later though

Thread, I have a confession. As much as I dislike the original, I kinda wanna get this remake and see a hopefully good version of 7

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
I thought Maribel would be a permanent member so I fed all of my wisdom / mana / speed seeds to her. Whoops. I don't suppose the game refunds those somehow?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
She's not gone forever and she's still the best mage, it's just a rude surprise

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Hitting a goddamn brick wall with Cumulus vex (HellCloud) and his friggin vaccum-vortex that hits everyone for 80-110 damage and how there's no pattern or rhyme or reason to his attacks: the first time I fought him he didn't use it until well into the fight, but the second time it was the first thing he did, how is that fair? And sometimes he uses it back to back and there's no way to recover from that. I guess I'd better grind.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Monster "A.I" in DQ games is really simple. There's a list of the actions they can take and a percentage chance they'll do it each turn.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Am I doing something wrong with Monster Meadows? I have the Monster Munchies in my hero's inventory, a monster will sometimes do the thing where it gives you the option to tell them about Monster Meadows and I do, and then... they just don't show up there. I just finished the past version of Greenthumb Garden, do I just need to get further in the main quest?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Am I doing something wrong with Monster Meadows? I have the Monster Munchies in my hero's inventory, a monster will sometimes do the thing where it gives you the option to tell them about Monster Meadows and I do, and then... they just don't show up there. I just finished the past version of Greenthumb Garden, do I just need to get further in the main quest?

There'll be a point where you can access Monster Meadows by simply walking to it on the overworld. You can technically already see where it'll be on the world map, even though the island isn't there yet. Once that happens, you can start making use of it. You're still some ways off from that point, so just enjoy the buildup you're creating.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Ah, so do they just have it open early so you can activate Street Pass? That seems poorly thought out.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

the original monster park didn't unlock until very late in the game. i think they just clumsily brought part of it forward so you can get a head start on taming some critters before it officially unlocks.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Does DQ4 ever pick up? I'm in Chapter 3 and this game is dragging. I feel like I should have gotten DQ5 instead.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Yes but if you don't like chapter three you're going to hate chapter four.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Bigass Moth posted:

Yes but if you don't like chapter three you're going to hate chapter four.

I dunno, Chapter 3 is my least favourite of the chapters. Getting the money can be a slog if you don't know all the tricks to do it.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

EightFlyingCars posted:

Does DQ4 ever pick up? I'm in Chapter 3 and this game is dragging. I feel like I should have gotten DQ5 instead.

Chapter 3 is my least favorite chapter but if you didn't like Chapter 2, you should quit now and move to DQ5 or DQ7. It was a NES game. It's a little primitive compared to what came after.

How are you playing it?

It's better on phone due to getting to hear the characters talk with party chat.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Party chat is nice, but it's definitely better on DS because of buttons and battery life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I don't know if I'd have the motivation to keep going with all silent protagonists.