Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

xzzy posted:

I've started noticing a new trend when there's two left turn lanes where people on the outside lane will cut across to the inside lane midway through the turn.

Everyone making a left turn always drifts to the rightmost lane these days, it's a stupid choice but it happens one trillion times a day so it's worthless to argue about. But starting wide and turning into the left lane? What the gently caress people?

Spokane Lane Change - when turning, move into whatever lane you like at any point

This morning, I saw someone using hands-free dashmount for their phone. (Probably a vent mount.)

So they could text with one hand, staring at the phone, in 35 MPH morning-rush traffic. :suicide:

Had a good view through their rear window... I need to get a mount to run my small tablet as a dashcam or something, and maybe some stick-on Velcro dots to slap on something to cover the screen and make it loving clear that I'm not *looking* at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Saw a bro truck with a roof mounted LED light bar yesterday, lit up red. Wonder if he drives around like that at night too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Spokane Lane Change - when turning, move into whatever lane you like at any point

Gotta nuke Spokane asap then because it's spreading to the Chicago region.

I mean Spokane should have been nuked a long time ago as it's basically Florida without beaches but that was just to end the misery. Now it's time to cut out the cancer if it's going to spread.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

jamal posted:

Saw a bro truck with a roof mounted LED light bar yesterday, lit up red. Wonder if he drives around like that at night too.

Isn't that the least visible color on the visible light spectrum?

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Murphys Law posted:

I wonder how many of these people we're sharing the road with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_krwMQfVOl0

Too many. Years ago, I worked as an attendant at a gas station. One day, a lady comes in and ask me to check her fuel gauge. Puzzled, I told her 3/4 or whatever she had, but was plenty.

Then she smiles at me and said, "Thanks! I just had my eyes dilated and can't see a thing!" and zoomed off, while I had to pick my jaw up off the ground.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Isn't that the least visible color on the visible light spectrum?

In general it’s G > R > B, but anything approaching infrared or ultraviolet is “least visible”.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

xzzy posted:

I mean Spokane should have been nuked a long time ago

You mean it wasn't? Based on what I saw on Cops, I had just assumed...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nope, that's its natural evolved condition.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Current Spokane: watch Z Nation

actually filmed here wee

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I like it when the left turn lanes are marked through the whole turn and I get honked at for staying in my lane because the other guy doesn't want to stay in his.

https://youtu.be/ba2LaQpc-3c

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

PenisMonkey posted:

I like it when the left turn lanes are marked through the whole turn and I get honked at for staying in my lane because the other guy doesn't want to stay in his.

This is my nightmare, multiple turns like this on my commute to and from work.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
I've seen that and had angry people who either (a) don't use a signal at all or (b) flip it on when I'm already right beside them, then get pissy that I didn't hammer my brakes to stop traffic and let them in ahead of me. Bitch, I'm not a loving mind reader and even if I was, I'm not risking potential mental retardation by trying to read your stupid reptile brain. Plus if you really want to merge that bad, flip your loving signal on ahead of time so people know you want to get over, instead of waiting until I'm right next to you because you're too goddamn lazy to turn your loving fat head to look.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

There's a double left I take every day on my way home from work. Invariably the people in the far left lane try to immediately merge right after the turn because the right lane leads to a highway onramp. Sometimes they don't wait until after the turn.

In the past two weeks they've been doing construction at that intersection, so there are no longer any lines on the ground either at the turn, on the road leading up to the turn, or on the road leading towards the highway, so people just arbitrarily decide as they go through the intersection whether they will treat each area of the road as one or two lanes, and which lane they will decide to be in. Often they treat it as two lanes before the turn, and one lane after, causing a merge mid-intersection. This isn't helped by the fact that there are storm drains protruding due to the pavement being stripped, and every other day one lane is narrowed down by barrels and cones, with no guidance from the cops standing around as to whether that area is still two lanes, or one.

It's a loving nightmare and I'll be shocked if I don't see an accident there before the construction's done. This is also an intersection with a mix of no turn on red signs, which have been taken down and put up again multiple times throughout the construction, and no one seems to be able to figure out if they're allowed to turn or not.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
I don't know it it was because this guy was a vet pissed off at the world because of a war injury he couldn't get over, or an older guy pissed at the world because everybody is younger than him, but what a dick.

I'm on 695 three cars back from a Chevy Suburban with a purple heart logo on it. Growing line of cars behind it and sticking at about 55mph. After passing an exit the right lane is clear so the two cars in front of me promptly
move to the right lane and pass him, followed closely by three other cars from behind me somewhere.

As the last couple of cars are passing him, dick floors it, accelerating up to about 80mph. I'd have liked to have thought that the people passing him simply woke him up to the fact that he was driving too slow, but
even then I knew he was only trying to cut off the people passing him. He failed with those first five cars, but caught up to traffic in the right lane and promptly cut his speed back down to 60mph by braking sharply, practically
brake checking the line of cars that had accelerated behind him.

He continues along for the next few miles going just slightly faster than traffic in the right lane, a large and growing gap in front of him as the people who passed him never needed to slow down.

Then we get to the Key Bridge. He's next to a tanker truck, and as we start up onto the bridge he lets up on the gas dropping down to 45mph. The whole time he's looking to the right, either at his passenger or
his passenger side mirror, then up at his rear view, then to the left, either at his driver side mirror or sight seeing.

We get over the bridge and through the tolls, I think somebody may have managed to get past him as we passed an exit right after the tolls that left the right lane open. So he moves into the right lane and catches
up to some utility van who also shouldn't have been in the left lane. He paces them for a few minutes before moving back into the left lane in front of the van to pace an even slower work truck. At some
point he must have started getting a little too far ahead of the work truck because the van had to brake suddenly.

He paces this work truck for three or four miles. Somebody farther back in line pulled into the right lane and caught up with the work truck, then used an exit lane to pass the truck and speed off up
the highway. I think that's an rear end in a top hat move, but at the same time I kind of understood, and even envied him a little for being free.

At some point we passed an on ramp, and the work truck slowed down to make room for people getting on the highway. Dick didn't. The new people were driving faster than dick leaving a growing opening in the
right lane. The utility van which had been quite content to drive too slow before dick showed was the first to move over and floor it past him. The car behind me got over and passed us, and then I got over and
followed suit. I glanced in my rear view and at least two other people were already moving over to pass as well. Some time during this dick accelerated as well but I think at this point anybody who wanted to pass
him was going to pass him.

He was clearly trying to antagonize everybody else, but why? Was he punishing the people behind him because he was pissed at the people who already passed him, was he pissed at the people behind him for daring to want to go
faster than him, or does he just regularly troll people on the highway and today was our day to encounter him?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Murphys Law posted:

He was clearly trying to antagonize everybody else, but why? Was he punishing the people behind him because he was pissed at the people who already passed him, was he pissed at the people behind him for daring to want to go faster than him, or does he just regularly troll people on the highway and today was our day to encounter him?
Yes, probably.

Simple sanity tip: Don't try to figure it out. You'll just drive yourself crazy.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

DC is its own special little shitshow. This weekend I was near the zoo, turning right but waiting for a pedestrian to get out from in front of me. The guy behind me lays on his horn, passes me on the left, makes the right turn in front of me, nearly mows down the pedestrian, and speeds off. I'm planning to move down there fairly soon, and I see I have a lot to learn about being a dickhead first.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

you ate my cat posted:

DC is its own special little shitshow. This weekend I was near the zoo, turning right but waiting for a pedestrian to get out from in front of me. The guy behind me lays on his horn, passes me on the left, makes the right turn in front of me, nearly mows down the pedestrian, and speeds off. I'm planning to move down there fairly soon, and I see I have a lot to learn about being a dickhead first.

Move to MD. You'll learn proper quick.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

PenisMonkey posted:

I had similar happen recently but I was in a left turn lane onto a 1 lane road and the lane next to me was a straight lane. Didn't stop the guy next to me from turning left and then laying on the horn at me. I see him back there and the space beside me that he is trying to occupy is shrinking so I went into the oncoming lane to let him by and avoid a crash. He flipped me off.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

PenisMonkey posted:

The one near my place at has that issue, or people going straight from either one of the turn lanes. Decatur GA drivers also drive like they are on a sight seeing tour.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Yeah, people really like to go straight in the left turn lane at the briarcliff and ponce intersection during rush hour.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Every day on my way home, I go through this exit: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.47587,-83.1470295,17.54z

There's way too much going on so explore on street view if you care, but I'll just say that there are always - ALWAYS - people in the second-from-left lane (the right-most lane from the highway exit) that will cut people off to pop into the left-most lane (left-turn-only-onto-Woodward) or the second from left lane (after the left-only-onto Woodward pops into existence).

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
These are the latin americans you share the road with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKjNxDt8d1o

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jesus Christ. How did that other car not see them though?

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

B4Ctom1 posted:

These are the latin americans you share the road with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKjNxDt8d1o

:prepop:

also : why was someone recording a random Yaris

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
Because they're on the wrong side of the road. The Yaris should be on the same side as the guy recording.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bovril Delight posted:

Jesus Christ. How did that other car not see them though?

Yaris was silver, probably didn't have headlights on. Was basically invisible.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

xzzy posted:

Yaris was silver, probably didn't have headlights on. Was basically invisible.

This and when you are on a 2 lane expressway and peek your nose out to move into the seemingly empty passing lane, you expect any new cars in that lane to be moving with similar relative velocity, not the other direction.

Said differently, if you are both travelling 35 mph (speed limit in that video), now you have to dodge a 70 mph object headed straight at you.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
On my morning commute there is a street with one left turn lane, a mixed left/straight and two straight lanes. Like 150 yards past the intersection is a rich folk school so naturally the mixed left/straight lane is backed up by people that are going to turn into the school up ahead. Three times since school started I've seen people in the left turn lane just keep going straight like its no big deal, once hitting another car turning in the mixed lane and the other two times just coming to a halt until everyone else made room for them. These loving people man.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

CharlieWhiskey posted:

This and when you are on a 2 lane expressway and peek your nose out to move into the seemingly empty passing lane, you expect any new cars in that lane to be moving with similar relative velocity, not the other direction.

Said differently, if you are both travelling 35 mph (speed limit in that video), now you have to dodge a 70 mph object headed straight at you.

Which at a distance might be difficult for you to establish that it's going the wrong direction. Not 70's Beetle bad, but apparently bad enough.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

go3 posted:

On my morning commute there is a street with one left turn lane, a mixed left/straight and two straight lanes. Like 150 yards past the intersection is a rich folk school so naturally the mixed left/straight lane is backed up by people that are going to turn into the school up ahead. Three times since school started I've seen people in the left turn lane just keep going straight like its no big deal, once hitting another car turning in the mixed lane and the other two times just coming to a halt until everyone else made room for them. These loving people man.

There's nothing worse than rich people schools.

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.728...!7i13312!8i6656

Those cars aren't turning, they're waiting for school to be out while parked on a public 45mph street hours before it lets out because if they don't show up that early they'll have to wait a bit. They can't use any parking lots because those spots are for customers only.

What I don't understand is why the cops don't just roll up every day and hit their quotas.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

What I don't understand is why the cops don't just roll up every day and hit their quotas.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

rich people schools

You answered your own question.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

you ate my cat posted:

Excuse me but if the guy had the room to get around you AND make the turn without actually hitting any humans then he sounds like a proper D.C. driver and you're the obstructionist tourist. Please give us all your tourist dollars then get the hell out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

it came from reddit:

http://i.imgur.com/GYbPkXl.gifv

No deaths, somehow.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...0919-story.html

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Brake failure?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Yeah but did he catch that Pikachu?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Looked to me like the driver just wasn't paying attention. In a brake failure, presumably he would have had time to change lanes after he realized the brakes were doing nothing.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Javid posted:

Brake failure?

Large trucks usually have air brakes which fail on.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

That's one of my favorite episodes of Mythbusters! :buddy:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PT6A posted:

Looked to me like the driver just wasn't paying attention. In a brake failure, presumably he would have had time to change lanes after he realized the brakes were doing nothing.

The driver twitches the wheel a split second before impact too, which is probably the point they looked up from the phone to see what was going on in the area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Wrong thread somehow