Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
If you feed them wet in the morning and wet again when you get home, they are not going to starve at all (unless you work long shifts). That's a typical feeding schedule for cats that aren't free fed as long as you are giving the recommended amounts per weight. Chili might have some feeding schedule ideas too because of trying to melt the Butter.

Are there any dyes in the food? My Henry has a bad allergy to those. Is the protein source in the dry food different than the wet? If so, maybe try a dry food that uses the same protein source as the wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah twice a day here as well. never had a cat die of starvation yet. Free feeding them just tempts the dogs a bit too much.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I feed my cats up to (but not always) three times of day, but honestly I'm really inconsistent with meal times and amounts. It doesn't help that one of my cats will turn into a big fatty if you just let him eat whenever he wants.

That said, a couple of scabs might be overly rough play, have you tried trimming their claws?

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
Thanks, folks, for all of the input!

I guess I was worried about them going hungry because they are only 4 months old, and the advice I'd gotten was to make sure they get plenty to eat (the actual phrasing was something like "as much as they will eat") while they're kittens. I keep finding varied information about how much they need to eat at this age. But both the wet and dry food are poultry-based.

I have trimmed their claws once, and then the little trimmers I bought mysteriously vanished. I think they conspired to hide them. Or I accidentally threw them away. I bought another pair, though, so I can try that. They're fairly amenable to claw-trimming as long as I wait until they're really sleepy.

I'm wondering if maybe it's something that's affecting all three, but Henry also has more sensitive skin or something. I remember that my parents used to have a little dog with terrible skin sensitivities. She'd get hot spots all over and just be miserable, especially in the summer.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

ZoeDomingo posted:

I posted this in the Cat Questions Megathread, but didn't really get any suggestions, so I thought I'd post it here, too.

My cat Henry has these scabs around his neck and on his head. The other two have one or two little dots, but he has a lot of them. I took them to the vet about two weeks ago to get their rabies shots, and the vet checked all of them for fleas but didn't find any (I haven't seen any in my apartment and I haven't had any bites myself). He said it might be mange, but he didn't take a skin sample. He just told me to put Neosporin on the spots if they look bad and to bring Henry back if it gets worse.

I can't really tell if it's worse or not. Some of the scabs get knocked off when they play with each other, and one spot was bleeding the other day, so I cleaned it up and put Neosporin on it. Henry seems to be okay otherwise, as do the other two. He scratches a bit, and so do the other two to a much lesser extent. But they're all eating and excreting normally, as far as I can tell, and they're very active and basically act like 4-month old kittens.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I can try to get a picture of one of the spots, if I can get him to cooperate.

This sounds like the problem my cat has, and she's allergic to fleas. Barely notice any signs on the other two, but she gets bad scabs all around her neck and chin. Just because you don't see fleas doesn't mean they aren't there, especially if it's bothering all three of them; I've gone entire seasons with my three cats obviously scratching and only seen one flea the whole time despite looking for them. They're sneaky fuckers.

I'd suggest trying flea medication and see if it stops after an application or two. A second opinion still can't hurt.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
My cat Odin also has allergies and scratches the poo poo out of himself- but in his case it turns out it's seasonal allergies. He got awful this past spring, to the point where he had to get a cortisone shot. After that he was fine until just this past week, when the weather got nice and we opened the windows. Now he's scratching again, but not as bad as this spring, thankfully.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

So much for kitten season being over. cat_herder and I got asked to take in 4 month-old kittens and of course we agreed. I'm hoping they'll help with my mental health being poo poo, since kittens, or cats at all, let me focus on something outside myself for a while. Hopefully they're relatively healthy.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Unfortunately no pictures, but we managed to nab a neighborhood cat recently! She's a small tabby, probably a year or younger. Very cute and very sweet. No collar, a scab on the neck, and a watery eye but otherwise in good shape. We kept her overnight in our spare room and dropped her off at the local rescue (which I have a professional relationship with and used to volunteer at) the next morning. As we have two large male cats and one small apartment, keeping her wasn't an option. Super proud of my gf though - she's the one who grabbed her and brought her to the shelter. I tried very hard not to let her name the cat as she's very softhearted, but we ended up calling her "Pepper" :3:

If her picture goes up on the website after her quarantine's up, I'll link it. Super lovely little bean. Think I might have to donate a few things at the shelter soon and say hello.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Don't know what to do with my cat anymore, he was doing so well with the oil now he's getting worse again, I am legitimately reaching a breaking point and I don't know what to do, I've been dealing with this crap for over a year and I'm very close to being sick of it, I won't abandon my cat but I'm growing weary of this fight.

Maybe I just need to vent I don't know, another vet trip for him soon.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

^ Alteisen, remind us of the issue with your buddy? If it's something health-related the cat megathread (which I'm pretty sure most of us post in :)) might help more than here.

As an aside, I've been dealing with a male cat that pees on stuff for years now. The other day I sat on my favorite chair, into a PUDDLE of rank, nasty, male cat urine. Goodbye pants, goodbye underwear, goodbye huge lovely pillow that was (thank god) on top of said leather chair. Which he's peed on before. Nature's Miracle only does so much for leather...

I completely understand the feeling of "if I don't talk to someone I will strangle this cat," even though we all know we'd never hurt our pets. It's hard to feel like you're doing the best for your friend only to turn around to them, yet again, being a dick to you or your stuff. Health issues notwithstanding, dealing with the destruction of property is always very stressful.

If what you're dealing with is purely a health issue, understand that it is completely normal to get frustrated when you don't feel like what you're doing is working. It's exhausting and often very expensive. It's human to get fed up for a little bit. Us animal weirdos need to vent too and this is a good place for it. :glomp:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

porkswordonboard posted:

^ Alteisen, remind us of the issue with your buddy? If it's something health-related the cat megathread (which I'm pretty sure most of us post in :)) might help more than here.

As an aside, I've been dealing with a male cat that pees on stuff for years now. The other day I sat on my favorite chair, into a PUDDLE of rank, nasty, male cat urine. Goodbye pants, goodbye underwear, goodbye huge lovely pillow that was (thank god) on top of said leather chair. Which he's peed on before. Nature's Miracle only does so much for leather...

I completely understand the feeling of "if I don't talk to someone I will strangle this cat," even though we all know we'd never hurt our pets. It's hard to feel like you're doing the best for your friend only to turn around to them, yet again, being a dick to you or your stuff. Health issues notwithstanding, dealing with the destruction of property is always very stressful.

If what you're dealing with is purely a health issue, understand that it is completely normal to get frustrated when you don't feel like what you're doing is working. It's exhausting and often very expensive. It's human to get fed up for a little bit. Us animal weirdos need to vent too and this is a good place for it. :glomp:

Its his mouth, at first it was a bent tooth, we got that taken care off and he was just fine, then it was swollen gums which it still is, we managed to take care of that with fish oil since its an anti inflammatory, he was doing fine now he's acting weird again, not coming in, running from me when he's outside, I offered him some cat food and he didn't want it today, its just stressing me out, this is not an old cat, he'll be 4 on election day and I hate he has these issues, I just want him to be back to his older self again.

He has allergies issue to cause I live in this poo poo island.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

porkswordonboard posted:

how old is he? also, are you sure he's totally fixed? some male cats have cryptorchidism and look like they're fixed, but their testicles are just hiding. Did Cat Attract litter help any?

Cats usually mark their favorite places with their scent, but this is usually done by rubbing their faces and sharpening their claws on whatever surface. He might be trying to mark the chair as his favorite spot.

Also, how long do you let his litter box go for? I have p bad depression and let it go sometimes and then find a pee puddle on my side of the bed. Alternatively, get multiple boxes and prime them all with cat-attract litter.

Alteisen posted:

Its his mouth, at first it was a bent tooth, we got that taken care off and he was just fine, then it was swollen gums which it still is, we managed to take care of that with fish oil since its an anti inflammatory, he was doing fine now he's acting weird again, not coming in, running from me when he's outside, I offered him some cat food and he didn't want it today, its just stressing me out, this is not an old cat, he'll be 4 on election day and I hate he has these issues, I just want him to be back to his older self again.

He has allergies issue to cause I live in this poo poo island.

poo poo island?

It sounds to me like a round of corticosteroids might be good. Ask the vet if some prednisolone or a similar steroid might help. It's stronger definitely than fish oil.

As for his behavior it sounds a lot like he's in pain, so maybe some buprenorphine would help too until your vet can figure out the swelling. The good part about bup is that it's readily absorbed by the gums and cheeks, so you don't have to fight too much to get it down him.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea I called in a vet tech buddy, he saw the black spot, said its a toothache for sure so yea, vet trip time!

As for the poo poo island comment, I live in Puerto Rico, almost every single day the level of pollen and fungus in the air is at level red meaning quite high, it wreaks havoc on my allergies and the cat as well.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

cat_herder posted:

how old is he? also, are you sure he's totally fixed? some male cats have cryptorchidism and look like they're fixed, but their testicles are just hiding. Did Cat Attract litter help any?

Cats usually mark their favorite places with their scent, but this is usually done by rubbing their faces and sharpening their claws on whatever surface. He might be trying to mark the chair as his favorite spot.

Also, how long do you let his litter box go for? I have p bad depression and let it go sometimes and then find a pee puddle on my side of the bed. Alternatively, get multiple boxes and prime them all with cat-attract litter.

I haven't considered cryptochidism before. This last time it turned out to be a UTI (hopefully fixed after 2 rounds of meds) but Hobbes has always had a habit of peeing on stuff. The previously mentioned puddle incident was what prompted another dose. You're right about the litter boxes, at least in the past, but I've gotten a lot better about it. The puddle incident happened about 3 feet away from a clean litterbox, though.

What I've decided is going on is that he might have some sort of underlying urinary tract issue resulting in recurrent UTIs, but he's also a weird rescue (found out behind apartment) so I also think he's just a little dumb about marking and using litterboxes. Some incidents are clearly revenge-based, on two occasions after returning from a multi-day trip he made a point to pee on something I'd brought with me (shoes, backpack). He eats very good food (Fromm 4-Star kibble with added water for brekkers and Weruva canned at night, also with water, occasionally some Primal freeze dried) but he is quite thin and doesn't seem to care about food much at all, unless it's my food. He is a bit of an anomaly. We have another cat, too, also a male, who tends to bully Hobbes, but not so much that they're at each other's throats or anything. They generally coexist peacefully, even if they're not 100% chuffed with each other all the time. There are 3 litterboxes, but one is in a room I keep closed a lot to keep him from marking/whizzing a giant lake of pee on my leather chair...again.

Oh, I do have some Cat Attract, which I'm using on a regular basis now that you've reiterated to me that I should probably be doing that. Thanks for your concern, and maybe when I take him to the vet next time (which I try to minimize seeing as he has a heart murmur and loving LOSES IT when you put him in the car) I'll ask about cryptochidism.

Oh and Alteisen, good job getting your kitty checked out! Tooth problems suck since they're generally expensive and can change a cat's entire personality-no joke. Our other boy, Bones, had a rotten tooth and it made him a dick. Once we got it fixed he ramped up his cuddleslutting by like 200%. I think your guy will feel a lot better, and so will you!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea he's not even eating today and Tibi not eating is like the sun not coming up in the morning.

Hope we can settle this tomorrow.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
At the vet, may or may not have to put him to sleep, I'll find out in a few hours.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Alteisen posted:

At the vet, may or may not have to put him to sleep, I'll find out in a few hours.

what?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any chance he ate something he shouldn't have? You said he was getting out and getting into chicken bones and what not. Something hung in his esophagus or not passing? I hope they exhaust examination options before discussing the worst.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I'm so sorry, Alteisen. I hope they give you good news.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ok, news is good, all bloodwork is positive, negative on FeLV or any related conditions, the cause of it all was extreme, extreme and I do mean extreme swelling as well as lacerations in his mouth, I type that out and even I cannot believe it but yes, lacerations, nothing perforated in his internal organs or anything, they cleaned out his mouth like you would not believe, according to the vet he used everything that is non toxic to an animal to clean him and went by tooth by tooth to ensure they where fine(they where), but yea massive, massive swelling around the back combined with these lacerations are the cause.

He'll live, but his outdoor days are over, so now I have a question, what can I do to make life easier for a cat that was outdoors so much? He's lived his whole life out there but I can't trust him anymore, so I need to make something for him so he's calm and chill inside the house.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Alteisen posted:

He'll live, but his outdoor days are over, so now I have a question, what can I do to make life easier for a cat that was outdoors so much? He's lived his whole life out there but I can't trust him anymore, so I need to make something for him so he's calm and chill inside the house.
I'd focus on giving him a lot of stimulation: toys, places to explore (including vertical spaces like cat trees), and window views. You might also consider a catio or other way for him to lounge "outside" in a controlled, enclosed space. Glad to hear he's going to be okay!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If you can, do a bunch of heavy-duty shelves around the room, higher than anything else but with some cabinets or cat trees to let him get up and down easily. Having a bunch of high perches is super-thrilling to a cat, especially if he's higher than you. Just make sure it's easy to get down.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Alteisen posted:

Ok, news is good, all bloodwork is positive, negative on FeLV or any related conditions, the cause of it all was extreme, extreme and I do mean extreme swelling as well as lacerations in his mouth, I type that out and even I cannot believe it but yes, lacerations, nothing perforated in his internal organs or anything, they cleaned out his mouth like you would not believe, according to the vet he used everything that is non toxic to an animal to clean him and went by tooth by tooth to ensure they where fine(they where), but yea massive, massive swelling around the back combined with these lacerations are the cause.

I owe you guys some updates and a refurbished OP.

But until then: https://www.amazon.com/Original-KITTY-Worlds-BEST-Perch/dp/B00C5TUVXU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474921685&sr=8-1&keywords=window+perch+for+cat

Those types of things can be good for kitties that dig the outdoors.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Alteisen posted:

:neckbeard:

oh good

a monster cat tree as well. I couldnt find the kitten the other day cause the little guy was lurking sneakily on the very top perch which is pretty decently over my head, just staring out the window.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Send help.

Found outside my building. All of them filthy and cold and people friendly. Big cardboard box with them. :/ I'll keep an eye out for mom cat but they seem like they might have been dumped.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

my cat is norris posted:

Send help.

Found outside my building. All of them filthy and cold and people friendly. Big cardboard box with them. :/ I'll keep an eye out for mom cat but they seem like they might have been dumped.

:ssh: You ARE the help

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

So many kittens, though! And Geki only just reaching four months.

Squidtentacle is out getting KMR and a vet appt has been made for the morning.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Alteisen posted:

Do you have wall-to-wall carpet? That can be a severe allergen vector.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Didn't mean to ignore your good news, Alteisen. Really glad to hear about your kitty!

Flea treatments for babby cats? These guys are crawling.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

my cat is norris posted:

Didn't mean to ignore your good news, Alteisen. Really glad to hear about your kitty!

Flea treatments for babby cats? These guys are crawling.

how old you think? they going for solid food rightaways? basically they have to be a month or more or else its superbath and fun with a flea comb time

also, bedding, carpets, clothes, room. disinfect clean and burn it all.

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 26, 2016

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

They've got teeth (or the beginnings), so I'm thinking they're at that three weekish mark. Haven't tried solid food just yet.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

my cat is norris posted:

They've got teeth (or the beginnings), so I'm thinking they're at that three weekish mark. Haven't tried solid food just yet.

gonna need to figure that out quick because if they are still on milk you have an absolute shitton of work to do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SneakyFrog posted:

how old you think? they going for solid food rightaways? basically they have to be a month or more or else its superbath and fun with a flea comb time

also, bedding, carpets, clothes, room. disinfect clean and burn it all.

If the place crawls, you nuke it from orbit! You wanna live itch forever, ape?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
chili would say get the weights (if you have a kitchen scale or something to weigh your no doubt completely legal drugs on)

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Kitten weights are 12.10 oz, 12.25 oz, 11.30 oz, and 11.55 oz.

They're currently quarantined in the bathroom. We attempted combing fleas out, but the comb we have isn't quite fine enough for that; got a couple, but mostly dirt. Going to need to find finer teeth for that.

In the meantime they'll take it easy tonight and get a visit to the vet in the morning. The runt CatNamedNorris was concerned about is moving around more and isn't as small as he seemed, so that seems to be a good sign.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Squidtentacle posted:

Kitten weights are 12.10 oz, 12.25 oz, 11.30 oz, and 11.55 oz.

They're currently quarantined in the bathroom. We attempted combing fleas out, but the comb we have isn't quite fine enough for that; got a couple, but mostly dirt. Going to need to find finer teeth for that.

In the meantime they'll take it easy tonight and get a visit to the vet in the morning. The runt CatNamedNorris was concerned about is moving around more and isn't as small as he seemed, so that seems to be a good sign.

you guys are great :kimchi: they are all eating though right?

just from the op

LivesInGrey posted:

I'll leave you all with the recipe we use to help with healthy weight gain. This makes a batch fit for an empty pasta sauce jar.

1/2 cup KMR
1 cup water
1 can A&D wet food
2 egg yolks
You can also add a spoonful of baby food, but not all kittens like it.

Place all ingredients in jar, using funnel not to spill the KMR, and mix with fork to get the worst lumps out. Put lid on jar and shake like hell. There will be lumps still, but with time they dissolve. Syringe feed every 3-6 hours, depending on size and health. Scale to fit containers you have as long as the water : KMR ratio remains 2 : 1.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

"Hitler" went right into the dry food without issue. Blackistan and the others were more interested in seeking attention. Runty urinated on his own, then sat in it.

We'll make some weight gain mix when we can get more supplies tomorrow!

Will continue to watch for a possible mama cat and additional kittens. 4 is a good litter size, though, so I'm not expecting to find others.

Thanks for all the help and tips, thread.

Plz suggest better names, tia.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
seriously?

those names wont do at all.

pictures are needed for naming.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Cotton, Silk, Satin, and Wool. (Satin and Silk should be the twinsies.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Oh boy!

I'm happy for you Alteisen and CNN, so happy that if the kittens had to be dumpe, you found them..

The advice in the thread has been on point before. I'd follow that up by seeking out any local nearby no-kill shelters and seeing they can provide you some support.

Based on the ears and their relative size for being out in the elements, I put them at about a month. It's good that you're keeping an eye out for mom.

For now, just adhere to the basics and you'll be giving them a good a chance as you can. Warm, low to the ground, KMR, stimulation etc etc.

I hope you're around tomorrow so we can gab in the TD irc!