Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bonnono posted:

Doesn't passing a Mantle usually involve dying? At least when it comes to the Summer and Winter courts.

The previous Summer Knight died but afterwards Lily was able to just name Fix as the Summer Knight so there is some way to just pass along the Mantle if it gets divested of the Knight and a Halloween loophole seems pretty open for Harry losing the mantle without dying eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I actually wonder if it wouldn't be Michael. Then he'd be protecting his daughter, Michael is perhaps the one person who the Winter Knight mantle would have a hard time corruption, he's already been a knight and shown his worth, and yet there's just enough there for it to be a serious risk and for Harry to loathe himself for it in traditional Harry fashion.

Oh man, Charity would KILL him!

Bonnono
May 2, 2006

Edit - Actually ignore this post

Bonnono fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 21, 2016

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Vicissitude posted:

Murphy, you think?

She's the first one that comes to mind. The big thing is that Mab doesn't have time to train someone else to take hold of the power, so whoever it is, they've got to be someone who can throw down. Someone who's in the know. Someone that isn't an idiot.

And if that someone is someone that Harry knows, then Mab still has her hooks in Harry

I think there are three choices for Winter Knight: Murphy, Thomas, and Michael.

Thomas is probably out for obvious reasons.

A few years ago, Michael never would have done it... but now, most of his kids are grown and out of the house. Would Michael become the Winter Knight for Molly's sake? He seems to think Harry can use the power without being corrupted. Why not him?

That leaves... Murphy. Becoming a Fae Knight would give her a bump in power. And it would mean that getting older would no longer be a problem for her, not for a long time. She could fight the good fight. She could pursue a relationship with Harry. I think her personality would suit Winter just fine.

Of course, there is one other person who knows how to fight and is well-motivated to protect Molly. Charity could become the Winter Knight, or take up Michael's sword. She would do anything for Molly.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

And honestly to be fair to GRRM, dance with dragons is 100k words longer than skin game and cold days combined, while being significantly more intricate. I would be surprised if Winds of Winter wasn't longer than those two + aeronauts windlass as well.

GRRM ran into problems because he doesnt keep notes and didn't plot out a lot of stuff beforehand, but he's actually not outrageously slow. The main issue with the Dance delay was that he only talked about pizza and Wildcards for 10 years and would post poo poo like "NEW BOOK UPDATE!!!!!! : wildcards volume 99 is out also do you guys like football"

Be that as it may you are aware that the only last novel we'll ever get will be the novelization of the show's last season, right?

Does GRRM have any sons that can pair up with Kevin J Anderson after he dies? Write a few prequels, didn't you want to know more about Valyria and the terrible war against the AI? And I'm sure there is enough material for a few sequels.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 21, 2016

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Bonnono posted:

Doesn't passing a Mantle usually involve dying? At least when it comes to the Summer and Winter courts.

At the end of Cold Days, Kringle is talking to Harry about mantles, and I think he is implying that the Winter Knight's mantle might not be a permanent thing. Google Books is hiding the page, but googling for a partial quote:

quote:

"It was Halloween, Dresden. You put on a mask for a time. That's all." He looked directly at me and said, "Many, many mantles are worn-or discarded-on Halloween night, wizard."

"You mean masks?: I asked, frowning.

"Masks, mantles," Kringle said. "What's the difference?"

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Murphy will be the Winter Knight and Butters will be the new Knight of the Cross.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Murphy is the best candidate.

Murphy is, at this point, mid forties and the ONLY mortal player still in the game. She needs a power up to keep up or the character will quickly become boring and sidelined.
Skin Game made a pretty big point of just HOW mortal Murphy is and that it rubs her poorly.
She's seething with anger at her current lot in life.

Seriously, she's perfectly set up for a tragic fall. She's either going to be the next Knight or take up a coin under the guise of The Greater Good.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mortanis posted:

Murphy is, at this point, mid forties and the ONLY mortal player still in the game. She needs a power up to keep up or the character will quickly become boring and sidelined.
Skin Game made a pretty big point of just HOW mortal Murphy is and that it rubs her poorly.

Seriously, she's perfectly set up for a tragic fall. She's either going to be the next Knight or take up a coin under the guise of The Greater Good.

Or both, in sequence.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Or both, in sequence.

As a cliffhanger.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Just as Harry picks up the Blackstaff.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
And Kincaid ends up as the Winter Knight when Harry sheds the mantle.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

She's the first one that comes to mind. The big thing is that Mab doesn't have time to train someone else to take hold of the power, so whoever it is, they've got to be someone who can throw down. Someone who's in the know. Someone that isn't an idiot.

Thomas is probably out for obvious reasons..

While I love the other possibilities, this one is actually flat out stated as a possibility by Mab as a backup if Harry hadn't taken it or had died. It would have taken some work on her end, but I don't think too much.

I am looking forward to more from the White Council though, goddamn. I want to see what the Merlin can really do when he cuts loose.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

MeLKoR posted:

Be that as it may you are aware that the only last novel we'll ever get will be the novelization of the show's last season, right?

Does GRRM have any sons that can pair up with Kevin J Anderson after he dies? Write a few prequels, didn't you want to know more about Valyria and the terrible war against the AI? And I'm sure there is enough material for a few sequels.

I had a Wildcards gang tag for years, all hope has long since fled my body :v:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

seaborgium posted:

While I love the other possibilities, this one is actually flat out stated as a possibility by Mab as a backup if Harry hadn't taken it or had died. It would have taken some work on her end, but I don't think too much.

I am looking forward to more from the White Council though, goddamn. I want to see what the Merlin can really do when he cuts loose.

Yeah, that's why he makes the cut. But with his current motivations and goals, I don't think Thomas would pick up the mantle. And I don't think Mab would want to do it, because she knows it would bring her into conflict with Harry, who is a useful tool to her. And Thomas doesn't need the power boost to remain relevant.

But I do think Thomas becomes the Winter Knight in Mirror Mirror land.

No White Council interaction was my biggest disappointment with Skin Game. Just imagine the roller coaster of emotions going through the Merlin regarding Harry Dresden, from book 10 to present. Imagine what it is going to be like when Harry shows up for a chat.

"I'm the new Winter Knight, besties with Mab."

"What?"

"And I killed the entire Red Court."

"What?"

"Yeah, all of them. Then I died, but I got better."

"What?"

"And I've become the Warden of a God prison."

"What?"

"And my former Warlock apprentice is the new Winter Lady."

Whereupon Merlin's head roars off of his shoulders like a Coke and Mentos bottle rocket powered by blood. :kheldragar:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I think it's been confirmed that the Mirror Mirror decision was from book 3, and for that reason, I think the decision is that Harry tells Susan he loves her, or even proposes to her.

And I think this shakes out in such a way that the Red Court doesn't go to war with The White Council, not until they're good and ready to spring the trap.

I think Harry invites Susan to the ball instead of Michael. She is protected as an invited guest, so Harry doesn't kickstart the war, so the Red Court gets to fully prepare and launch a surprise attack, so the White Council gets pasted and Harry ends up in a position where he has to do some dark poo poo to survive. Then you have that whole thing where once you bend it's easier to bend in the future and down he goes down the road of good intentions.

I like this way better than "Our Harry is the evil Harry" because "Harry is upset about his choices and the things he has done" isn't anything out of the ordinary for Harry. I don't think that learning that things could have gone better if he made different choices will really gently caress him up because he already knows that. I think he'd be way more hosed up by the realization of just how close he came to stepping onto the really dark path and that the first step on that path was something so innocuous.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Drifter posted:

If you want less alpha poo poo relationship stuff the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews is better - I mean, it's still there, but its' a lot better. I think Andrews wrote the better series, even.

I just read the most recent book in this series and I can recommend it. Yeah, it's hot lady kick-rear end magic-user Mary-Sue and her Alpha-Shifter, but it doesn't get into squicky were-loving (much), the magic is cool and non-bog standard, and the over-arcing mythology is interesting enough to make the weak points worth overlooking.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

If you read the Word of Jim it's pretty clear that Mirror Mirror Harry is the evil Harry because he mentions that Mavra will probably be in that book and that Mirror Mirror Harry and Mavra are in a position to be fast friends

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Grimson posted:

If you read the Word of Jim

That's probably the problem, because I've never bothered to register on his forums because of all of the :goonsay: on there that would put these forums to shame.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Wade Wilson posted:

all of the :goonsay: on there that would put these forums to shame.

This is in no way an exaggeration. I browse those forums primarily because you can find out about appearances well in advance of the email announcement, but HOLY poo poo are there some weirdos and pedants over there.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Magres posted:

I think that'd honestly just be depressing. Harry has hosed up but he tries his best and it'd be a lovely book to spend a few hundred pages rubbing his nose in all of the times he wasn't good enough (because he was put in a situation where it was completely impossible to be good enough).

But perhaps because our Harry has been through worse hell, he's stronger for it. Maybe Good!Harry comes through to our side to seek help against something he's not prepared to take on, all because of the "better" decisions he made.

"You mean mirror Harry is the good Harry?"
"Well, yeah, but he's also a sheltered pansy."

Mortanis posted:

Nonsense. Murphy is going to become a Valkyrie, like Sigrun Gard.
Didn't everyone else pick up on this?

Ornamented Death posted:

This is in no way an exaggeration. I browse those forums primarily because you can find out about appearances well in advance of the email announcement, but HOLY poo poo are there some weirdos and pedants over there.

Yep. Before I found this place, I was on there and holy drat do they have some dumn-DUMB fanwank.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blasphemeral posted:

Yep. Before I found this place, I was on there and holy drat do they have some dumn-DUMB fanwank.

I am now fascinated to know.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Blasphemeral posted:

Nonsense. Murphy is going to become a Valkyrie, like Sigrun Gard.
Didn't everyone else pick up on this?

I dunno. They seem kinda wizard-y and Murphy doesn't seem to have any talent. Can you even apply for that job?

One reason I think she'd end up taking over the mantle is because it doesn't require any magic know how. Wizards in that position are an anomaly.

Also, Mister becomes the new Cat Sith. Here kitty kitty. :v:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

There's really no reason to put speculation in spoiler tags.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Murphy will become progressively more crippled book by book, until she legally changes her name to barbara in the last book and provides communications and logistics support from the literal bat-cave.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Wheat Loaf posted:

One of the big ones from when I was on there is that Mab is actually (and has been all along) Molly after time travel shenanigans. As in, not just that sentence, but an entire dissertation-level essay write-up.

I don't know what new poo poo they're injecting into their arteries these days, I never look back.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Wheat Loaf posted:

Beware, lest the abyss gaze back unto you.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Wade Wilson posted:

That's probably the problem, because I've never bothered to register on his forums because of all of the :goonsay: on there that would put these forums to shame.

i just searched the compiled word of jim page for "2016" and "Mirror Mirror" to catch up on anything recent

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Blasphemeral posted:

One of the big ones from when I was on there is that Mab is actually (and has been all along) Molly after time travel shenanigans. As in, not just that sentence, but an entire dissertation-level essay write-up.

I don't know what new poo poo they're injecting into their arteries these days, I never look back.

I liked it back before White Night when the big theory was that Cowl and Kumori were future Harry and Molly. Or that the Gatekeeper was future-Harry. Or the Merlin was future-Harry. Or Mac was future-Harry. They had a thing for basically everyone being future-Harry time travelling. It was kinda fun.

I uh, stopped reading when that one person poo poo up everything after Changes because Harry and Murphy kissed and it torpedoed their Harry/Molly hardcore shipping.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Blasphemeral posted:

This makes a surprising amount of sense, come to think of it. It's mentioned that the Winter and Summer Ladies are supposed to eventually become the Queens, and Mab acknowledges that she was human once.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Zore posted:

Or Mac was future-Harry.
I read this as Mab first and had to stop to scratch my head until I reread it properly

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Call me a contrarian if you must, but I don't really care about any Word of Jim unless those words are contained in books about the wizard Harry Dresden with titles made out of puns.

Cowl is Zombie Justin and I don't care what anyone else thinks.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I dunno. They seem kinda wizard-y and Murphy doesn't seem to have any talent. Can you even apply for that job?

One reason I think she'd end up taking over the mantle is because it doesn't require any magic know how. Wizards in that position are an anomaly.

Also, Mister becomes the new Cat Sith. Here kitty kitty. :v:
Gard extended her an offer back in Aftermath. Also, she was apparently just some random Geat lady prior to becoming a Valkyrie, so I'm guessing that vanilla human Murphy would also be able to do the job.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Up Circle posted:

Murphy will become progressively more crippled book by book, until she legally changes her name to barbara in the last book and provides communications and logistics support from the literal bat-cave.

Murphy's got to juice up because drat, everyone is aching to see it happen. Murphy fading into the background now would be incredibly disappointing, especially if she's fridged. Wanna see her suplex a ghoul out of a window.

She might have actually been OK with dying sometime before Changes, but after the past few years, I can't see her going gently into that good night. She's too pissed off.

I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up getting hurt or faltering in a fight, and making a bargain or accepting a power right then or soon after. Harry will sulk about it, she'll yell at him for being a hypocrite, and then he'll brood about it some more.

Zore posted:

I liked it back before White Night when the big theory was that Cowl and Kumori were future Harry and Molly. Or that the Gatekeeper was future-Harry. Or the Merlin was future-Harry. Or Mac was future-Harry. They had a thing for basically everyone being future-Harry time travelling. It was kinda fun.

I kind of think that the first one could be true, or that Cowl/Kumori could be Mirror Mirror Harry and Molly. There are some little things that just stick out at me which make it seem plausible.

Mars4523 posted:

Gard extended her an offer back in Aftermath. Also, she was apparently just some random Geat lady prior to becoming a Valkyrie, so I'm guessing that vanilla human Murphy would also be able to do the job.

Well, hell. If she goes that route, maybe someone will do something crazy like give her an old hammer he happens to have laying around.

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 22, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cowl doesn't seem familiar enough with Harry Dresden in their first encounter to really make me think he could be Harry Dresden.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I think it's enough that we can have antagonists that mirror or echo our protagonists without them being literally, alternate-reality versions of the protagonists. I mean, the former is a staple of fiction across all genres.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Mars4523 posted:

Yeah, the magic she seems to do is mostly either a boost to the normal abilities a human would have, and runic stuff that anyone could do if they knew how to write the runes properly.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

This comes up a lot but honestly, when I asked Jim at Comicon a couple years ago he said Murphy doesn't need any power ups to be a badass (this was just after Skin Game came out, my question was directly: "Does Murphy need a power-up to stay relevant?") and he sounded completely genuine when he said it, no hint-hint'ing (and he loves to hint-hint about poo poo.) I'm gonna take the man at his word until he shows I'm a hapless sucker, anyway.

Murphy seemed pretty freaked out by the whole 'possessed by angels' thing at Chichen-Itza and I don't think she's in a big hurry to mainline magic power again. Though I do think it'd be incredibly cool if her and Papa Murphy hooked up for some cop/ghost-cop shenanigans.

Valkyrie is about the only thing I can see her going for, and even that's a long stretch.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Murphy upgrades to a mecha exoskeleton, because the novels are taking place in roughly realtime and we'll have them by the time Jim finishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Wouldn't becoming a Valkyrie basically mean she's working for Odin? Who provides protection services to Marcone?

I don't see Murphy taking that assignment.