Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

FactsAreUseless posted:

Keep in mind that his worst behavior was all long before she started moderating GBS. This got a lot of discussion behind the scenes, and it's easy to understand why there was a disagreement. LadyAmbien just had a very different perspective from some of the other mods. Also, at the time, someone who actually WANTED to mod GBS was tempting. Obviously Windows 98 revealed himself to be really crazy again, but I think it's a shame that LadyAmbien stepped away from doing a lot of forums stuff shortly after. I think she was doing good things for GBS.

I used to talk to him a lot and if you don't know him he comes across as very polite, intelligent and stable. It's not like he advertises the shovel stuff, weird mod ambitions and life straight out of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia unless you happen to pay entirely too much attention to these forums like many of us do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
He was a massive shitheel on IRC, I know that much.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Apparently I missed this disaster. I don't mean to derail the thread but is there a summary I could read somewhere? This sounds too good to miss.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
is lowtax pregnant

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think it's a shame that LadyAmbien stepped away from doing a lot of forums stuff shortly after. I think she was doing good things for GBS.

same

she was really improving gbs

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Do mods \ admins have the ability to see previous usernames? How do you track an idiot that tries to hide their tracks from being a continuing annoyance?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
How do the mods find reregs of permabanned goons? Some perma'd people are so crazy that they can't help but out themselves every time they post, but there have been several instances of people evading permabans for awhile before finally getting caught.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bill NYSE posted:

Do mods \ admins have the ability to see previous usernames? How do you track an idiot that tries to hide their tracks from being a continuing annoyance?
You mean if they change their username or if they re-reg? If they change their username, all their histories/post history/rap sheet etc. doesn't change.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

How do the mods find reregs of permabanned goons? Some perma'd people are so crazy that they can't help but out themselves every time they post, but there have been several instances of people evading permabans for awhile before finally getting caught.
Like you said, most reregs don't hide it. A few permabanned people manage to hide for a while until they give themselves away or we get a tip. We usually match IPs, although IP checking can have some weirdness. ZDR could probably expand on some of the reasons why, I don't really get the technical side of SA at all.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

This used to happen, not anymore.

As someone who this happened to, it is a definite "what the gently caress" moment. I legit thought the forums were just broken at first.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

IOwnCalculus posted:

As someone who this happened to, it is a definite "what the gently caress" moment. I legit thought the forums were just broken at first.
I fondly remember my welcome PM from Ozma :) They had started a new mod FAQ shortly before I was modded, as I recall. Before that mods just figured it out as they went along.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
Any chance of doing another one of those threads where people guessed a number and either got a cool icon next to their username or a ban? I was always bummed I missed my chance for that

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I was thinking of running a silly game in GBS with an avatar as the winner prize and probations for losers. Naturally I'd pay for the av myself, but who would I PM about prepping probes for the losers? Just a GBS mod?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

jon joe posted:

I was thinking of running a silly game in GBS with an avatar as the winner prize and probations for losers. Naturally I'd pay for the av myself, but who would I PM about prepping probes for the losers? Just a GBS mod?

just put in the main post as the rules? usually OP can set rules iirc.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

SneakyFrog posted:

just put in the main post as the rules? usually OP can set rules iirc.

they can't

just ask a mod jon joe, i'm sure that they'll help you

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
well thats unfun. :catbert:

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
A few years ago all of the mods changed their avatars to household products like paper towels and stuff with labels saying "Nice!" on them. What was that all about, and whose idea was it?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Spoggerific posted:

What was that all about
Just a silly thing to do. In a previous instance of themed avatars most of the mods received Phoenix Wright avatars.

Spoggerific posted:

whose idea was it?
Ozma, I think.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I got a honeycrisp apple.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
How come you guys got rid of GBS? I generally stay out of it cept for the Tech Relics thread but I assume there was an overriding reason.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Free dogcrash truther

bring him back

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skoll posted:

How come you guys got rid of GBS? I generally stay out of it cept for the Tech Relics thread but I assume there was an overriding reason.

You know how people talk about LF like it was a magical age when everything was awesome? Give it some time, and they'll do the same thing about GBS.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Skoll posted:

Also intrigued to hear the answer to this, but I'm guessing it was because GBS was somewhere between FYAD and BYOB and 9/10 threads were terrible, boring gimmicks?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

kedo posted:

Also intrigued to hear the answer to this, but I'm guessing it was because GBS was somewhere between FYAD and BYOB and 9/10 threads were terrible, boring gimmicks?

Ding ding ding.

Speaking of which, the mods should probably prevent the Paranormal subform from becoming the new GBS and deal with the influx of low effort and gimmick OPs.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm not certain why ZDR closed it when he did, but moving or closing or majorly changing GBS has been discussed for a while. It had some good stuff, but it was also a haven for by far the worst posting on the site.

I'll be saving some of the good threads and moving them later today.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Julias posted:

Ding ding ding.

Speaking of which, the mods should probably prevent the Paranormal subform from becoming the new GBS and deal with the influx of low effort and gimmick OPs.

It would be cool if PC was actually about the Paranormal and not bad Bill Cosby jokes.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm not certain why ZDR closed it when he did, but moving or closing or majorly changing GBS has been discussed for a while. It had some good stuff, but it was also a haven for by far the worst posting on the site.

Gotcha. TY for the clarification.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

would you mind moving this to byob: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788051

i was thinking about continuing it

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

Could you also move this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790258 to Byob, it would fit our Halloween theme really well.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I'm not concerned about GBS but is there any talk of sticking E/N under a readable forum? It has some interesting/funny threads and good moderation by defectivemonkey.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

zen death robot posted:

It's under BYOB right now
Well goddamnit I can't see poo poo for looking at it :downs:

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Not sure if this is the right place for this but someone else's question brought it to mind. I had an account I first around 2000 that as I recall got hacked back in 2008. Or maybe I just got drunk and forgot my email and password, who knows. At the time I just thought gently caress it and registered a new account, but I'd kind of like to get my old username back (or the account with its sweet reg date if possible I guess). Is there any way that this would be possible given that the username is technically taken on the old account that I can't get into?

This was the old account for reference: http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=13277

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I see that the OSHA thread got moved to DIY, thank you. It's not the best place (PYF feels like that to me) but it'll work. PI would be better than Dorkroom for Critterquest, since it's more about the animals than the photography. The only thread I might miss is one that would've been better in E/N in the first place so I'll just take its loss and hope OP decides to bring it there now.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Reading this thread is neat, even though I don't post much and don't have a lot of interaction with the mods of the, like, two forums I do post in.

Do you have mod functionality on the mobile apps?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Swillkitsch posted:

Reading this thread is neat, even though I don't post much and don't have a lot of interaction with the mods of the, like, two forums I do post in.

Do you have mod functionality on the mobile apps?

I can view reports and that's about it. Have to switch to safari to mete out justice.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

LivesInGrey posted:

I see that the OSHA thread got moved to DIY, thank you. It's not the best place (PYF feels like that to me) but it'll work.

I disagree, but that might be because I actually read DIY.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LivesInGrey posted:

I see that the OSHA thread got moved to DIY, thank you. It's not the best place (PYF feels like that to me) but it'll work. PI would be better than Dorkroom for Critterquest, since it's more about the animals than the photography. The only thread I might miss is one that would've been better in E/N in the first place so I'll just take its loss and hope OP decides to bring it there now.
I'm going to move Critterquest after discussing it with LITERALLY A BIRD. I'd like to keep OSHA in DIY, since I think the kinds of people interested in the OSHA thread would be interested in DIY.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

zen death robot posted:

That's why I bought a hugephone iPhone 7+ so I can use the drat browser
can you put that on expenses?

FluffieDuckie
May 11, 2005

i think i'm going blind from trying to mod on my phone browser so lowtax can expect a big eye doctor bill in my next expense report

FluffieDuckie
May 11, 2005

zen death robot posted:

You should get the iPhone 7+

Lowtax can expect an iPhone 7+ on my next expense report

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
There's no head phone jack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

zen death robot posted:

I have lightning headphones it's cool

Except when you forget them and your dongle and just have a pair of normal headphones. Happened to me at work the day after I got my phone. :smith:

• Locked thread