Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
The speakers on my iPhone 7+ are bad, too. Or... something is going on. When I play music through speakers, there is something like distortion. When it sounds like is that the music is being jumbled, like it skips a second ahead, then goes back, and on and on. Then I plug in the included headphones, and the issue goes away.

edit: It's a software issue, only happens in Music app, not voicemails, not Safari playing Youtube.

Revol fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Any recommendations for a good video playback app? I just want something that I can throw any filetype at and supports subtitles. I use AVplayer HD on the iPad and it's great. How is the iPhone version?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

LPG Giant posted:

Any recommendations for a good video playback app? I just want something that I can throw any filetype at and supports subtitles. I use AVplayer HD on the iPad and it's great. How is the iPhone version?

No idea about AVplayer, but I use VLC on my iPad for my Japanese animes and it's always worked great.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I use NPlayer for that type of thing on both iPhone and iPad. But yeah there's free stuff like VLC and I think others, probably with IAPs for stuff but you might not necessarily need them for your use.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So I just got an iphone 5s for my daughter, I do not have an iphone myself. I am trying to set up the family sharing so that I can approve purchases and whatnot. Is there a way that I can accept the purchase requests from pc? I've spent the last 30 minutes and can't seem to figure out how.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Harminoff posted:

So I just got an iphone 5s for my daughter, I do not have an iphone myself. I am trying to set up the family sharing so that I can approve purchases and whatnot. Is there a way that I can accept the purchase requests from pc? I've spent the last 30 minutes and can't seem to figure out how.

Sounds like you need an Apple device (iOS, mac) on a recent OS to have that work:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht201079

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If she's the only one who would be in the family sharing thing, your best bet is to just get her iTunes Store gift cards and set up parental restrictions on the apps/music/movies/whatever she can spend it on.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

MrBond posted:

Sounds like you need an Apple device (iOS, mac) on a recent OS to have that work:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht201079

Yeah it looks like this is the case. I'll need to switch off of her icloud account and into mine on her phone in order to accept the app requests. A bit of a hassle but ah well, I just wish you could set it up so that free apps wouldn't need permission to download.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
After touching the black and jet black phones at the same time:

I like black better.

Jet black feels too much like plastic, and while I can see how the grippiness could be useful, all I could think of is "touching this after a 12 hour flight with my gross dirty greasy fingers" and I was immediately turned off.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I wish apple would just make a 5 SEc. metal is cool n' all but they know how to make a color pop.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Harminoff posted:

Yeah it looks like this is the case. I'll need to switch off of her icloud account and into mine on her phone in order to accept the app requests. A bit of a hassle but ah well, I just wish you could set it up so that free apps wouldn't need permission to download.

The parental restrictions are actually really badly though out all-round.
It's obvious that nobody [important] from Apple actually has little kids or they would be sending an email to the iTunes team like Billy G.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

incoherent posted:

I wish apple would just make a 5 SEc. metal is cool n' all but they know how to make a color pop.

You are literally the only person I've heard to ever have this opinion.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

incoherent posted:

This is why they make cases.

The old complaint was always "why does it only come in black." Then when Apple launched the iPhone 5C, all I heard was "why didn't they release a black color?" People are never satisfied.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

There's a black 5 though????

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The 5C is the best iPhone case design ever.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I have two old 5c phones on my desk at work (both white) and yeah, the case and buttons are super nice.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I'm using one right now and think it's poo poo.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

It's a 4 year phone. It was rebadge 5, but the A E S T H E T I C S were top notch.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I have no idea if you guys are trolling right now or not. Only poors have or had this phone.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I still really like the design of the 4. It'd probably feel too thick and boxy now, but back then it was a nice combination of aesthetically pleasing while feeling sturdy.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I remember when that Apple dude left one at a bar and Gizmodo got ahold of it and everyone called it ugly, but then loved it later. I never understood that, but then i felt the same way about the 7.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
In case anyone was upset at not being able to get hold of an iphone 7, a billionaire's son just bought 8 of them for his dog.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/09/chinese-billionaires-son-bought-eight-iphone-7s-for-his-dog/

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
If the home button in the 7 is software, can you still press the lock key and home button to hard reset the phone when the software locks up?

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Nope, it's the lock button and one of the volume buttons now. Volume-down I think.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Is the mute toggle switch still a piece of poo poo that will switch on and off in your pockets?

That is one thing I absolutely hate about the 6.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rorus Raz posted:

Is the mute toggle switch still a piece of poo poo that will switch on and off in your pockets?

This has never happened to any iPhone I've used.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah op must have defective jeans

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Happened to me constantly until I started using a case.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
So, in iOS9, there was a soft fade to music. When you got a call (or closed the music app from the 'show all running apps' view, the music would fade out over the course of a second. In iOS10, it just stops. This is weirdly abrupt. I can totally live with it, but I was wondering if I was missing a setting somewhere to make it less like falling off a cliff?

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Rorus Raz posted:

Wheezle posted:

Happened to me constantly until I started using a case.

Are you guys wearing loving skin-tight leather chaps or something? I wear skinny jeans most of the time and I feel like if this was a thing it would have happened to me

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

LODGE NORTH posted:

I have no idea if you guys are trolling right now or not. Only poors have or had this phone.

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'm using one right now and think it's poo poo.

:raise:

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Anyone else getting a wiere animation lag when closing apps on the 7?

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
Crosspost from the T-Mobile thread:

I stupidly got my iPhone 5S wet and now the screen doesn't work at all. I want to buy a new phone (currently eyeing the iPhone SE), but the only problem is I'm overseas for a few months, and they only sell the A1723 model here. I currently have AT&T and it doesn't seem like that model supports all of AT&T's bands, but according to this page http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/#iphone-se it seems it does for T-Mobile (even though T-Mobile is listed under the A1662 model). I don't know too much about phones, but can someone tell me if I'm correct or not? I don't want to buy a phone here and then just have it work like poo poo in the US.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

To be honest you'd be better off just buying a cheap burner until you get back

Or getting someone to send you one from home

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AT&T's LTE bands are: 2, 4, 5, 17
T-Mobile: 2, 4, 12

The A1723 model supports all of those.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 22, 2016

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Apples uk tracking doesn't work. Lame.
Does receiving the "invoice" and "setup your new device" emails mean it has been delivered or are they just sent arbitrarily?

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

Endless Mike posted:

AT&T's LTE bands are: 2, 4, 5, 17
T-Mobile: 2, 4, 12

The A1723 model supports all of those.

I think AT&T also uses 29 for its high speed data but I could be wrong.

To be honest you'd be better off just buying a cheap burner until you get back

Or getting someone to send you one from home

Unfortunately I use my phone as a 4G hotspot and camera as well, so I figure I'd be shelling out a hundred or two just to get a decent thing I'd use for 2 months. Getting one shipped out here would probably take a bit too long, especially if it gets held up by customs, since I need it for work.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Linx posted:

Are you guys wearing loving skin-tight leather chaps or something? I wear skinny jeans most of the time and I feel like if this was a thing it would have happened to me

Happens to me from time to time and I don't wear skinny jeans. :shrug:

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I always use my prison pocket and it happens all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Bape Culture posted:

Apples uk tracking doesn't work. Lame.
Does receiving the "invoice" and "setup your new device" emails mean it has been delivered or are they just sent arbitrarily?

UK tracking on mine worked fine, did they not just give you a UPS link? I got the invoice and setup emails a few hours after mine was delivered.