Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Probably Magic posted:

It'd be pretty cool if political candidates of color outright declared they're a Black Lives Matter candidate the way so many conservatives did with the Tea Party, but the Tea Partiers were getting away with that in the whitest of areas and, well, there just isn't as much traction for the black civil rights attitude in this country. It would be nice if there was same spokesperson who could be the face and defuse the nebulous boogeyman of "hate group," but I can understand why many in the group don't want it to turn into a cult of personality that gets easily sabotaged.

There's no easy answers, from what I can see.

Also, gently caress the Cards.

It's really disgusting and infuriating that the Tea Party was given explicit legitimacy by the media when their political ideology was basically "Obama's a mean Kenyan". A candidate who declares themselves a "Black Lives Matter" candidate would never be granted the legitimacy that the old white cosplay club got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Known neoliberal program Car Talk

Cars are a cancer on modern society, so yeah sure

canepazzo posted:

This ad been posted yet?

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/778660217378709504

Not naming him once, not sure if it's a good idea. Good ad other than that.

I'm pretty sure Fillion and Sheen are the bigger 'get's there. IIRC, Fillion was a big Republican, but maybe he's just an 'independant'. Sheen is super Catholic, so I'm sure he's torn between abortion and "immigrants into ze ovens schnell!"

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Munkeymon posted:

I'm pretty sure Fillion and Sheen are the bigger 'get's there. IIRC, Fillion was a big Republican, but maybe he's just an 'independant'. Sheen is super Catholic, so I'm sure he's torn between abortion and "immigrants into ze ovens schnell!"

Martin Sheen has been a Democrat for a long time. I don't think Fillion is a Republican, but maybe I'm wrong. You might be thinking of his Firefly co-star, Adam Baldwin, who spearheaded the GamerGate bullshit.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Munkeymon posted:

IRC, Fillion was a big Republican, but maybe he's just an 'independant'.

No, this can't be true. Please God no.

edit: Internet says Fillion called Romney a "slimy lying toolbag." Looks like we're safe.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Munkeymon posted:

Fillion is Canadian so whatever, but I'm not sure how you managed to miss that Sheen is one of the most famous democrats alive. He was the OG "activist actor embarrasses himself a little but his heart's in the right place I guess" guy before Alec Baldwin got in on the game.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Munkeymon posted:

I can't think of a reason why Ramón Antonio Gerardo Estévez might be displeased with Donald J. Trump

e: gently caress, his initials are literally RAGE

e2: On closer inspection his dad was from Spain but I'm pretty loving sure he knows being a peninsular isn't going to help against the Trumpstaffel

Nessus fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 22, 2016

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Nessus posted:

e: gently caress, his initials are literally RAGE

Rock on with his bad self.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Munkeymon posted:

You're confusing Fillion with firefly Adam Baldwin (No Relation) who is full-bore crazy and on the trump train. Fillion was pretty much the ideal of "quietly liberal" and made a couple snarky tweets against obama.

IDK what you're talking about with Sheen. He's catholic but, like, in the sense that he's moderately opposed to abortion but has basically been a huge democrat booster since The West Wing became a thing and gives heaps of money to orgs as far left as sea shepherd.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

lozzle posted:

No, this can't be true. Please God no.

edit: Internet says Fillion called Romney a "slimy lying toolbag." Looks like we're safe.

Fillion's a wonderful guy who was very chill about me nearly mowing him down with a golf cart once and I've never heard a bad word about him. All ~hollywood industry professionals~ keep a huge list of Who Is a Dick and he's not on any of them.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Fillion's a wonderful guy who was very chill about me nearly mowing him down with a golf cart once and I've never heard a bad word about him. All ~hollywood industry professionals~ keep a huge list of Who Is a Dick and he's not on any of them.

I want more of this story.

And there's a lot of very religious Catholics who are also very progressive. I mean, Stephen Colbert is another prime example of just that. Being religious doesn't mean you're going to be right wing, especially since essentially every religion's main doctrine matches progressive principles.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

The National Guard is better trained, better disciplined, and will face worse consequences if they do something wrong.

I don't know if you've heard about this, but a lot of black guys have been shot by cops for no reason lately. To the best of my recollection, the National Guard hasn't shot any black guys.

Yeah, because people have just as many interactions with the NG as they do the police.

Geostomp posted:

If there's one thing BLM really needs, it's some definite organization. If they want to get taken seriously as a movement that isn't so easily labelled "thugs making trouble" anymore, they need a concrete leader to rally under.

Yeah...no. Uniting under a single leadership makes it hilariously easy to stamp out.

negromancer fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 22, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nichael posted:

I want more of this story.

And there's a lot of very religious Catholics who are also very progressive. I mean, Stephen Colbert is another prime example of just that. Being religious doesn't mean you're going to be right wing, especially since essentially every religion's main doctrine matches progressive principles.

There's not much to it. Castle shoots at Raleigh Studios, which is across the street from Paramount, where I was working at the time. Raleigh has a really good restaurant, so I was zipping over there in a golf cart and driving too fast because the cart makes a pleasing "bweeeem" sound when you do, and I clipped past him a little too close and he said "whoa haha hey" and smiled at me handsomely instead of flipping me off like I surely deserved.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bushiz posted:

You're confusing Fillion with firefly Adam Baldwin (No Relation) who is full-bore crazy and on the trump train. Fillion was pretty much the ideal of "quietly liberal" and made a couple snarky tweets against obama.

Yeah, the main Firefly cast is all still pretty tight with each other... except for Adam Baldwin. It used to be you'd see Fillion, Baldwin, and Alan Tudyk all doing stuff together like voices characters in Halo games or internet and convention stuff. Then Baldwin just fell right down the alt-right Breitbart hole and revealed what a truly repugnant human being he is and they just pretty much severed with him.

I've said this in the Right Wing Media thread, but it's kind of depressing to go back and rewatch episodes of Firefly when you have to quiet the thoughts in the back of your head trying to remind you that everyone on board Serenity hates Jayne in real life too :smith:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
reminder that rubber bullets are actually steel balls coated with 1 to 2mm of rubber and that in one study of 90 people who were hit by them, 1 person died, 17 were permanently disfigured or disabled, and 40 were injured enough to require a hospital stay.

edit: like, i'm seeing news coverage of charlotte talking about rubber bullets and i figured it was worth reminding people that they're not just harmless chunks of rubber

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 22, 2016

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Instant Sunrise posted:

reminder that rubber bullets are actually steel balls coated with 1 to 2mm of rubber and that in one study of 90 people who were hit by them, 1 person died, 17 were permanently disfigured or disabled, and 40 were injured enough to require a hospital stay.

edit: like, i'm seeing news coverage of charlotte talking about rubber bullets and i figured it was worth reminding people that they're not just harmless chunks of rubber

That I did not know, that seems a bit too lethal to be considered 'less lethal.'

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Munkeymon posted:

Are you really young? Sheen is insanely liberal and has been for a long, long time; he's constantly getting arrested at demonstrations, etc. The Right loves to trot him out as the proverbial SJW from Hollywood.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

vorebane posted:

That I did not know, that seems a bit too lethal to be considered 'less lethal.'

At close range (within 15 feet) to the head or vital organs they still carry enough kinetic energy to pierce flesh and cause massive brain trauma if struck in the head.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Are you really young? Sheen is insanely liberal and has been for a long, long time; he's constantly getting arrested at demonstrations, etc. The Right loves to trot him out as the proverbial SJW from Hollywood.

Man, that would have improved the reboot a lot.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fillion's a wonderful guy who was very chill about me nearly mowing him down with a golf cart once and I've never heard a bad word about him.

I met him once when I saw the Thrilling Adventure Hour. Super nice and likes non-crazy fans.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

I met him once when I saw the Thrilling Adventure Hour. Super nice and likes non-crazy fans.

I love the Thrilling Adventure Hour! I went to a record he was on once too. He makes a great cowboy.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

vorebane posted:

"Less than lethal" has never meant "nonlethal." (though it is sometimes called "nonlethal" by dummies)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

vorebane posted:

They're less lethal than normal bullets, that's all that means.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Rubber bullets, tasers, batons, it doesn't matter. If cops are using a weapon as a magic "do what I say" wand people are going to die.

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

Rubber bullets, tasers, batons, it doesn't matter. If cops are using a weapon as a magic "do what I say" wand people are going to die.

This is true of even the most pie-in-the-sky "Non-Lethal" weapons, like a Vortex-Ring gun, or Incapacitating Foam.
Basically, if you are forcing someone to do something against their will, through the use of any form of application of physical force, there is a non-trivial chance of their death!

Huh!

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Bassetking posted:

This is true of even the most pie-in-the-sky "Non-Lethal" weapons, like a Vortex-Ring gun, or Incapacitating Foam.
Basically, if you are forcing someone to do something against their will, through the use of any form of application of physical force, there is a non-trivial chance of their death!

Huh!

This is why the government needs to hurry up and come out with Mind Control Beams already. Think of how much safer arrests will be!

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

lozzle posted:

This is why the government needs to hurry up and come out with Mind Control Beams already. Think of how much safer arrests will be!

Freddie Gray "breaking his own neck" would at least make some modicum of sense, if they had those.

Mandragora
Sep 14, 2006

Resembles a Pirate Captain

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, the main Firefly cast is all still pretty tight with each other... except for Adam Baldwin. It used to be you'd see Fillion, Baldwin, and Alan Tudyk all doing stuff together like voices characters in Halo games or internet and convention stuff. Then Baldwin just fell right down the alt-right Breitbart hole and revealed what a truly repugnant human being he is and they just pretty much severed with him.

I've said this in the Right Wing Media thread, but it's kind of depressing to go back and rewatch episodes of Firefly when you have to quiet the thoughts in the back of your head trying to remind you that everyone on board Serenity hates Jayne in real life too :smith:

Tudyk is apparently the biggest and most outspoken leftist of the bunch and by the end of the Firefly movie (according to a interview with Whedon awhile back) he couldn't have Tudyk and Baldwin in the same room because Baldwin would constantly try to pick fights with Tudyk over endorsing Gore/Kerry, and iirc he used to antagonize Sean Maher about being in the closet and Tudyk would get up in Baldwin's face defending Maher. Supposedly Baldwin tried to be grudgingly supportive of Maher once he went public but then just a few months ago he went on some insane rant about how gay marriage means fathers marrying their sons for tax breaks so I'm guessing that never quite solidified and he really is Jayne in real life.

It makes me a little bit happy that Tudyk is doing pretty well for himself in film and on tv while Baldwin is, outside of The Last Ship, just doing the occasional pity role tossed at him by Whedon or Fillion and spending a lot of his time ranting about how liberal hollywood is afraid of big macho he-men like himself and Kevin Sorbo. :unsmith:

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

Instant Sunrise posted:

That's actually pretty interesting, since IIRC even conventional gunshot wounds have something like a 5% fatality rate with proper treatment.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mandragora posted:

he went on some insane rant about how gay marriage means fathers marrying their sons for tax breaks

A few years ago here in Ireland, Jeremy Irons went on this exact same rant. It was extremely disappointing. It must be a common narrative being pushed on functionally retarded celebrities

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

WeAreTheRomans posted:

A few years ago here in Ireland, Jeremy Irons went on this exact same rant. It was extremely disappointing. It must be a common narrative being pushed on functionally retarded celebrities

Wait, then why aren't fathers marrying their daughters now to do the same thing?

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Mandragora posted:

Tudyk is apparently the biggest and most outspoken leftist of the bunch and by the end of the Firefly movie (according to a interview with Whedon awhile back) he couldn't have Tudyk and Baldwin in the same room because Baldwin would constantly try to pick fights with Tudyk over endorsing Gore/Kerry, and iirc he used to antagonize Sean Maher about being in the closet and Tudyk would get up in Baldwin's face defending Maher. Supposedly Baldwin tried to be grudgingly supportive of Maher once he went public but then just a few months ago he went on some insane rant about how gay marriage means fathers marrying their sons for tax breaks so I'm guessing that never quite solidified and he really is Jayne in real life.

It makes me a little bit happy that Tudyk is doing pretty well for himself in film and on tv while Baldwin is, outside of The Last Ship, just doing the occasional pity role tossed at him by Whedon or Fillion and spending a lot of his time ranting about how liberal hollywood is afraid of big macho he-men like himself and Kevin Sorbo. :unsmith:

So...you're telling me that Jayne hated Simon in real life too, and Wash is just as much a boss in real life as he is in the show?

I can live with this. :colbert:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Epic High Five posted:

Wait, then why aren't fathers marrying their daughters now to do the same thing?

That's one of the multiple very basic flaws in this premise

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Epic High Five posted:

You used Logic and Facts!
But it failed...

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

I actually heard he was kind of a dick on his current show (Castle) and had some kind of falling out with his costar that led to her leaving the show.

I choose not to believe it. :colbert:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Guy Goodbody posted:

What is the alt-right?
https://twitter.com/grgdwyr/status/768801637334970368

Nessus posted:

I prefer the phrase "Childless men who masturbate to anime."
Childless single men who masturbate to anime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdNHKtNBId4

computer parts posted:

Conservatives that are your age.
They're not conservative

Epic High Five posted:

Woody Allen

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]
That dumb LA Times tracker continues to tighten. Clinton 43, Trump 45.4

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Tax breaks

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

MrSmokes posted:

That dumb LA Times tracker continues to tighten. Clinton 43, Trump 45.4

You think its fair to say the controversial option of a survey is nearly always an underestimate? i.e. 49% want Islamic immigration stopped? make that 55-60%

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

nimh posted:

You think its fair to say the controversial option of a survey is nearly always an underestimate? i.e. 49% want Islamic immigration stopped? make that 55-60%

There's no evidence to suggest that's the case, no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

nimh posted:

No not really.

In fact it reeks of pseudoscience and unskewing.

• Locked thread