Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Oh poo poo!

I was at that Fry's Electronics about a week ago!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
I still enjoy the show but it is slowly drifting into LOST territory and this wasn't a good season finale.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
There's the dark army leader's focus on time. I've always just thought it was because of a cancer diagnosis or something so remainder of life became very important. Also operation bearenstain.

Read some of the /tv/ live threads. They go on about time travel all the time.

nopants
May 29, 2004
I enjoyed that quite a bit. Everything doesn't need to happen at once. Stop talking about mother loving lost. Now I'm off to tumbler for some Tyrell/Elliot slash fiction.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gonz posted:

Oh poo poo!

I was at that Fry's Electronics about a week ago!

Where is it, out of interest? I saw the palm trees and thought Florida, but then they said it didn't rain much...

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Did I miss something with Trenton, Mobley and Leon other than the board?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I like how Darlene throws a frustrated glare at the USA bug when she's told that characters aren't welcome.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

There's the dark army leader's focus on time. I've always just thought it was because of a cancer diagnosis or something so remainder of life became very important. Also operation bearenstain.

Read some of the /tv/ live threads. They go on about time travel all the time.

There was also them sourcing every song from Back to the Future 2.

nopants
May 29, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

Did I miss something with Trenton, Mobley and Leon other than the board?

Post credits scene. They had a LAN party.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

EL BROMANCE posted:

Where is it, out of interest? I saw the palm trees and thought Florida, but then they said it didn't rain much...

Phoenix, AZ.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I still think it's funny they worked in a Burn Notice which if I recall wasn't actually about any kind of police procedural at all.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I didn't see Mobley or Trenton in the episode, did I miss something?

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
after the credits

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

What the gently caress was that supposed to be?!?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Hollismason posted:

I still think it's funny they worked in a Burn Notice which if I recall wasn't actually about any kind of police procedural at all.

What Darlene did (her repeated line) does sound like a tip Michael Weston would give during a voiceover of someone on his team being interrogated the local police.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There's also all the weird poo poo regarding White Roses project that is briefly mentioned regarding thoughts or something which is why the show has this weird dream logic it seems?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Per the FBI poster, it looks like Darlene needs to practice better username discipline.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Why did dark army give Ecorp 2 trillion dollars then immediately destroy Ecorp? That money isn't coming back.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I also don't get how Tyrell loves Elliot or why Mr. Robot would include him in anything. Season 1 he's an amoral rear end in a top hat who only cares about himself and increasing his own position. Mr. Robot is a murderous ends justify the means rear end in a top hat but he's wildly idealistic. These seem like people who have nothing to offer each other but limitless antagonism.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Subterfrugal posted:

Per the FBI poster, it looks like Darlene needs to practice better username discipline.

I love that the directory listing has a link to TOS and the privacy policy.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Goofballs posted:

I also don't get how Tyrell loves Elliot or why Mr. Robot would include him in anything.

Because it's a cult, and Elliot is the crazy leader.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Goofballs posted:

I also don't get how Tyrell loves Elliot or why Mr. Robot would include him in anything. Season 1 he's an amoral rear end in a top hat who only cares about himself and increasing his own position.

I thought season 1 made it pretty clear that Tyrell is doing all of this to please his wife. He exudes the veneer of control, but really has none. This is shown early on when he beats up a bum. It's not obnoxious Bateman psycho poo poo, it's just that this is the dude's only outlet to his frustration.

Dude is so attached and willing to do everything to please his wife, that he'll gently caress dudes to get to the top of the corporate ladder to make her happy.

He's been used the entire relationship.

Enter Mr. Robot. Mr Robot is a huge loving idealist who could talk way better game than Elliot could, and Mr. Robot and Elliot were on the same page for phase 1.

This opportunity to get out and change everything must have been seductive as hell to a guy like Tyrell. Mr. Robots ideas affected Tyrell (and made him feel empowered for once) so much that he grew to love 'him'.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
What do you guys think sounds better, Mr Lost or Lost Robot? Losbot?

The show still manages to be incredibly tense, but ending a finale with more unanswered questions than it started with is a dick move. Both Angela and Tyrell have made complete heel turns due to some poo poo that happens just off screen and it's irritating as gently caress, and now we get to wait another year until we find out why. Tyrell especially. He went from selfish corporate rear end in a top hat willing to do anything to please his wife and gain power, to doe eyed idealist who not only is 100% on board for loving up the world and the megacorp that was supposed to give him power, but now he's in love with the guy who came up with the idea? Was there something particularly damning on that giant board that I missed? It seems like everything on there was stuff we already knew Dom was aware of, particularly that Tyrell was the main target. Why the hell would any of that convince Darlene to flip? Why did the dark army give 2 trillion dollars to E-Corp right before they were planning to blow them up.

Fake edit: What if both Angela and Tyrell have been replaced with robots/replicants? That would explain their weird behavior.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Brock Samson posted:

Maybe Angela has another side to her personality too? I don't even know.

Tyrell and Angela are the same person :tinfoil: *edit^^

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Doctor Butts posted:

I thought season 1 made it pretty clear that Tyrell is doing all of this to please his wife. He exudes the veneer of control, but really has none. This is shown early on when he beats up a bum. It's not obnoxious Bateman psycho poo poo, it's just that this is the dude's only outlet to his frustration.

Dude is so attached and willing to do everything to please his wife, that he'll gently caress dudes to get to the top of the corporate ladder to make her happy.

He's been used the entire relationship.

Enter Mr. Robot. Mr Robot is a huge loving idealist who could talk way better game than Elliot could, and Mr. Robot and Elliot were on the same page for phase 1.

This opportunity to get out and change everything must have been seductive as hell to a guy like Tyrell. Mr. Robots ideas affected Tyrell (and made him feel empowered for once) so much that he grew to love 'him'.

You can explain it this way but it really wasn't explored at all, Eliott and Tyrell simply didn't have enough interaction for this, at least not visible one to the viewer and that's the biggest problem for me this season had. Imo the show is starting to withhold too much information from the viewer, so much that it hurts the development of the various characters because everything is shrouded in mystery. Also I dare to say that the Eliott/MrRobot relationship has been stale this season because it's been running in circles. We really didn't get aynwhere, even in the very last minutes of the season it's like we are back to the beginning (Eliott trying to free himself of MrRobot once again...). Too much stuff this season happened off screen and that's a real problem.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This was a really, really underwhelming finale. I guess I was expecting more answers, or at least answers that gave the episode some weight, but no. :geno:

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I don't feel like Tyrell was used by his wife that much season 1, haven't watched it in a while but it I remember it more as equally awful people who found each other.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Dude had a choice between going to jail for murdering a woman because he freaked out or being a key player in a world redefining event. Mr. Robot gave him a perfect way to counter his feelings of being small and impotent by handing him the keys to the revolution.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I liked this finale better than the last finale. It did feel like an ordinary episode but really cemented my affection for nearly all of the major characters. And Tyrell as a confused lapdog trying to quote poetry after being dismissed and derided by Elliot in Robot mode was perfect and filled in enough information to make his character make sense to me. He's the lonesome self-hating sociopath that's vaguely aware there must be something more to life than climbing a social ladder and accumulating wealth but he has to imitate and follow his wife/Mr.Robot because he doesn't have the emotionally capability of forming any set of ideals.

Anyhow, y'all season 2 haters will probably find the next season more to your taste.

Esmail posted:

The one thing about this season is that everybody has been spread out, struggling to get their lives back in order. The one thing that we’re going to see a lot more in season three is some of these storylines colliding. And what that collision is going to look like.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/mr-robot-season-2-finale-sam-esmail-elliot-shot-tyrell-alive-1201867301/

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

LinkesAuge posted:

You can explain it this way but it really wasn't explored at all, Eliott and Tyrell simply didn't have enough interaction for this, at least not visible one to the viewer and that's the biggest problem for me this season had. Imo the show is starting to withhold too much information from the viewer, so much that it hurts the development of the various characters because everything is shrouded in mystery. Also I dare to say that the Eliott/MrRobot relationship has been stale this season because it's been running in circles. We really didn't get aynwhere, even in the very last minutes of the season it's like we are back to the beginning (Eliott trying to free himself of MrRobot once again...). Too much stuff this season happened off screen and that's a real problem.

A lot of the characters and their relationships aren't explored as much as they should be. The only one this criticism doesn't really apply to is Dom, who I think the show did a good job with.

If the characters are interacting more next season, maybe this will be rectified.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Kwyndig posted:

So phase 2 was burn this motherfucker to the ground.... I didn't expect that.

The whole destroying everyone's titles and deeds thing being just another "phase" of an overarching plan that goes "all the way" makes me think the arching plan for f.society is to take down the entire country.

Season 1: Take out money.
Season 2: Take out property.
Season 3: Take out government? Media? Internets?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ignoring most of this thread but could anyone tell me quickly how much censored swearing is in this ep? Considering torrenting instead of waiting for Amazon to get off their asses, but can't handle all the censoring.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Ignoring most of this thread but could anyone tell me quickly how much censored swearing is in this ep? Considering torrenting instead of waiting for Amazon to get off their asses, but can't handle all the censoring.

About a half dozen

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks. I think I'll go for it if Amazon don't put it up in the next 20.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

Why did dark army give Ecorp 2 trillion dollars then immediately destroy Ecorp? That money isn't coming back.

We're deep into theory here in terms of fiscal policy - but by giving Ecorp the money and then effectively erasing it, they removed the US as the de facto economic weathervane/indicator/etc. of the world. A power vacuum like that is basically unprecedented in modern times - it could give rise to new currencies, but with this episode's mention of "taking control/power" and destroying records and bloodlines of land, ownership, etc., it feels to me more like they're pushing towards statelessness. Without a central economy, a nation could cease to be a nation - without the means to pay people to write, enforce, and interpret laws, it wouldn't necessarily devolve into anarchy, but it would create a different entity to which people belong, and require a different form of discourse/diplomacy.

This is all going in a very weird direction, but I'm glad we're moving away from the wild time travel scenarios.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Escobarbarian posted:

There's more censored words this episode than uncensored. I don't think they let them get away with anything, and there was a ton of swearing so I'd wait.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Now that Fight Club is over, are we doing Blade Runner next or Back to the Future?

Goofballs posted:

I also don't get how Tyrell loves Elliot or why Mr. Robot would include him in anything. Season 1 he's an amoral rear end in a top hat who only cares about himself and increasing his own position. Mr. Robot is a murderous ends justify the means rear end in a top hat but he's wildly idealistic. These seem like people who have nothing to offer each other but limitless antagonism.

They're going to be gods together, whatever that means.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I really liked this episode, with the caveat that it feels more like an arbitrary pause in the story than a definitive end to a story arc like the season 1 finale was. Esmail said that "Act 2" of the show would take around two seasons to tell and this felt a bit like a mid-season finale. Strangely enough, I felt pretty satisfied with this episode even though it leaves a lot of things open-ended; just enough questions are given sensible answers to move the plot forward in a reasonable way. My only disappointment with this episode is that I was hoping there would be some kicker that would tie the Ray and his website back into the main story, but that never happened.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

TrixRabbi posted:

Has anyone figured out the point of Joanna's boyfriend yet?
Did you miss the entire scene with him? Joanna got closer to the bartender who was at the party where Tyrell killed Scotty2Drunky's wife. Joanna was stringing him along this entire season just so she could eventually get him to give Tyrell an alibi to the murder of Scott's wife. "I love you." "Great, now let's go over that false story I just told you so you can prove my husband's innocence and put Scott away in jail for life."

I'm writing a post about poo poo you guys haven't mentioned yet, one sec...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Did you miss the entire scene with him? Joanna got closer to the bartender who was at the party where Tyrell killed Scotty2Drunky's wife. Joanna was stringing him along this entire season just so she could eventually get him to give Tyrell an alibi to the murder of Scott's wife. "I love you." "Great, now let's go over that false story I just told you so you can prove my husband's innocence and put Scott away in jail for life."

Which is all pointless anyways since the FBI isn't planning to bring Tyrell in for the murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
They didn't censor "oval office", but censored the gently caress in the same line of the script. (Darlene)

• Locked thread