Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

FMguru posted:

wheres the attachment that makes the solid light walls come out?
you need to purchase a separate dongle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

My Linux Rig posted:

no but they're still making money from it

but not enough to change their financials iirc

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if you get a job at Apple can you just troll media all day?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

drat the lomarf car gonna go fast

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
How many of the thread regulars are gonna buy that thing?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
we've managed to create
the thinnest car wreck in the weeeorld

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
lol at the idea of buying an NES in this, the twenty first century

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hahahahahaha

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

loquacius posted:

Question, is this an opinion you had before Apple announced they were removing it?

Like, were you using your previous iPhone and plugging your wired headphones into it and thinking "man, this tech is so awful, I really wish they'd just loving kill it off already"

or did you develop the idea that the headphone jack was bad because Apple removed it?

1.) Yes. Been using bluetooth headphones for sixteen months now (JLab).

2.) Not with iPhone, but yes. As someone who's job allows them to wear headphones the entire day, it becomes immediately apparent that the headphone plugs destroy themselves with repeated use (insertion & removal :quagmire:, + perpendicular stress simply from walking around); inevitably cutting out one or both speakers. And I'm talking good quality plugs with strong-rear end aramid sheaths that never tear. Getting rid of the jack was the only smart thing they've done since the iPhone 5s. Anroids should get on the bandwagon; it's not like phones have the actual amplifying capacity (or even a decent DAC 95% of the time) for good headphones anyways.

3.) No.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 22, 2016

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
the only headphones i've owned that have died due to everyday wear and tear are apple's earbuds

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i've had plenty of earbuds die on me, and not just apple's (although it's been years since i've used them). doesn't matter the cost, they all eventually poo poo out, sometimes in as little as six months.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

2.) Not with iPhone, but yes.

the normalization of this linguistic tic is the single greatest evil apple has inflicted on the tech world

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Mister Macys posted:

1.) Yes. Been using bluetooth headphones for sixteen months now (JLab).

2.) Not with iPhone, but yes. As someone who's job allows them to wear headphones the entire day, it becomes immediately apparent that the headphone plugs destroy themselves with repeated use (insertion & removal :quagmire:, + perpendicular stress simply from walking around); inevitably cutting out one or both speakers. And I'm talking good quality plugs with strong-rear end aramid sheaths that never tear. Getting rid of the jack was the only smart thing they've done since the iPhone 5s. Anroids should get on the bandwagon; it's not like phones have the actual amplifying capacity (or even a decent DAC 95% of the time) for good headphones anyways.

3.) No.

what on earth are you doing to your headphones that you break the plug

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

maybe he's a cat

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

C.H.O.M.E posted:

not understanding strain relief apparently

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

C.H.O.M.E posted:

and as a followup, what could you do to break a 3.5mm connector that wouldn't break a lightning connector

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

C.H.O.M.E posted:

Literally wear and tear from everyday use. I plug them into my phone, stick the phone in my front pocket, then work at a bakery all day. End of the day, I unplug them. Headphone plugs wear out when you use them every single day. It's like micro-usb; they're rated for only so many insertion and removal cycles, before they're expected to start loving up.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Mister Macys posted:

Literally wear and tear from everyday use. I plug them into my phone, stick the phone in my front pocket, then work at a bakery all day. End of the day, I unplug them. Headphone plugs wear out when you use them every single day. It's like micro-usb; they're rated for only so many insertion and removal cycles, before they're expected to start loving up.

i wear headphones every day and i plug and unplug them repeatedly and i have never broken a plug, maybe you should stop putting rocks in your pocket or beating your plug with a hammer or whatever other thing you aren't mentioning that you are doing to break them.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

flakeloaf posted:

and as a followup, what could you do to break a 3.5mm connector that wouldn't break a lightning connector

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i guess i've never worn out a plug, but the wires always fail

e: i bent a plug on a pair of over-ear headphones when i had it plugged into an airplane seat and wacked it. still works fine

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
please remember that apple is the company that manufactures phones that bend and cables that don't

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
i've been using an ipod nano for the past like 5 or 6 years every day all day multiple insertions with no problems. i often have to unplug them just to make sure that the music gets paused.

worn out a couple headphones that needed the ends replaced, other than that no problems.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

if you are working in a bakery are you working with dry flour and other powdered ingredients (especially confectioners sugar)? that stuff is quite abrasive and gets everywhere so that could be causing accelerated wear on the plugs and jacks.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i use my earpods like once a week and they're already crackly. i've had them for less than half a year. hosed up

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

C.H.O.M.E posted:

i wear headphones every day and i plug and unplug them repeatedly and i have never broken a plug, maybe you should stop putting rocks in your pocket or beating your plug with a hammer or whatever other thing you aren't mentioning that you are doing to break them.

so hang on instead of *3.5mm plugs aren't needed because charging and listening to music via wired headphones is an edge case* the argument is now *3.5mm plugs weren't designed for my bakery edge case scenario so no one should have the option to use it*?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

flakeloaf posted:

bend over and I'll show you!! lol

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

if you are working in a bakery are you working with dry flour and other powdered ingredients (especially confectioners sugar)? that stuff is quite abrasive and gets everywhere so that could be causing accelerated wear on the plugs and jacks.

Trust me, I know. Every plug in every pair (Senns, Sonys) I've owned eventually fails in one or both ears after a year or so. The wires are fine, because I always get the reinforced sport models.

Never going back to a headphone jack.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
so you're saying you're going to go jack off now

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Dislike button posted:

wait it's in the wrong way flip it over

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Dislike button posted:

lol

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I had the Apple Store give me a new 6S with less than a week left on my one year warranty because they made the glass soft and lovely and microscratch prone compared to older models so I wanted a new one.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i saw the new BLACK iphone 7 that jony polishes w/ his own cum or whatever and it kinda feels like a cheap plastic piece of poo poo irl

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

their whole sales pitch about microscrubbers is just a ploy to get people to pay full price for a plastic phone, isn't it

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

GameCube posted:

their whole sales pitch about microscrubbers is just a ploy to get people to pay full price for a plastic phone, isn't it

i cant wait for my huge plastic homebutton-less timphone

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

GameCube posted:

wtf is a microscrubber

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

fits my needs posted:

wtf is a microscrubber

check out this fucko that didnt watch the keynote

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

fits my needs posted:

wtf is a microscrubber

sounds like something we're going to need to start picking out of our fish

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

fits my needs posted:

wtf is a microscrubber

that thing you use to clean your penis

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Can't wait for Google to release the Only Good Phone By Default in two weeks or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Headphone jack: ✔
Battery explodes: ✖
phone of the year

• Locked thread