Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVTM4qmPnPM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Mary Jane used to be my maaaain
Til I met that white girl, cocaaaaine

L-O, L-O

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Funny listening to Units in the City back now how many of these songs used to listen to a lot. RIP to a legend

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

so my friend and i are a couple scenesters down in OC
he's a musician and i'm a poet, and we bonded over gucci mane.
after that we ended up making a hip hop EP together.

http://weeper211.bandcamp.com/releases

it's basically about what a joke it is to do dirt in a mostly affluent white-flight area like orange county CA.

we also ham it up a lil with representing Mission Viejo, our noname no identity city of planned communities.

and since it felt awkward to be a white kid and a cuban talkin about trappin we replaced that word with squatting,
because when half the people you'd end up working with are crust punks that's what they would actually call those places
and it rolls off the tongue better anyway

nothing particularly impressive tbh but i thought it couldn't hurt to share

we rap as a duet and i'm the first guy you hear on the first track.

Jellidelic fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 21, 2016

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Sounds retarded on paper and in my ears but the internets a hosed up place so eh god bless

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

You seem like you're doing it half seriously from your posting

It comes across when you hear it, do what you do and don't be apologetic for it

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQXqRFZ2UEs

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Jellidelic posted:

it's basically about what a joke it is to do dirt in a mostly affluent white-flight area like orange county CA.

we also ham it up a lil with representing Mission Viejo, our noname no identity city of planned communities.

and since it felt awkward to be a white kid and a cuban talkin about trappin we replaced that word with squatting,
because when half the people you'd end up working with are crust punks that's what they would actually call those places

i listened to the first track and it is way better than i expected after reading this so keep up the good work imo it's pretty brave to put yourself out there like that

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Jellidelic posted:

This is a brave post and I respect you for it. Thank you for sharing

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
After a few more listens I can say for sure that Ryu's new album Tanks for the Memories is a lot of fun.

Lap of the Godz is the most Styles of Beyond/Demigodz-like track, with Ryu, Tak, and Celph Titled. Celph's verse is one of his funniest ever.

Catch ya shopping, get on the Walmart intercom,
and let the whole store know I put this dick in your mom,
yeah I slayed and tapped it,
her face look like she was laying next to firecrackers taped to eight mayonnaise packets

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

i kinda tried to post in a way that safeguarded me from being called an idiot. Mostly because i've never shared this stuff outside of my local DIY circle-jerk
the response i've gotten locally has been wildly positive so far. but there's a bit of a participation trophy attitude in my scene so i didn't know it'd take outside of that.

we did a show last week though. :yaycloud: It was actually pretty lit, and in spite of being the first act we had the biggest crowd of the night (like 30-40 ppl)

anyway, thanks for listening guys

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Jellidelic posted:

i kinda tried to post in a way that safeguarded me from being called an idiot. Mostly because i've never shared this stuff outside of my local DIY circle-jerk
the response i've gotten locally has been wildly positive so far. but there's a bit of a participation trophy attitude in my scene so i didn't know it'd take outside of that.

we did a show last week though. :yaycloud: It was actually pretty lit, and in spite of being the first act we had the biggest crowd of the night (like 30-40 ppl)

Hahaha that sounds wild! Good for you man.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Marching Powder posted:

Hahaha that sounds wild! Good for you man.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Saint Pablo trip report: I was sold a fake ticket. 150 lost GG. Was hooked up with a real one though and now I'm inside about to buy merch

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Saint Pablo trip report: I was sold a fake ticket. 150 lost GG. Was hooked up with a real one though and now I'm inside about to buy merch

Bummer. That happened to me at Chance before. Have fun though its a great show. Good luck in those Merch lines.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
only buy secondhand tickets on stubhub or seatgeek because they have a guarantee that your ticket is legit or they'll replace it with one as good or better and comp you the difference

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
The Weeknd ft Daft Punk - Starboy

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/starboy/id1156172520

Idk it'll probably grow on me but I don't think it's that great.

keevo fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 22, 2016

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

hot take: ive never been able to see what people like about the weeknd

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

40 lbs to freedom posted:

Beauty Behind the Madness was one of my favorite albums last year.

The Hills and Often are so loving good. So motherfucking good.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

weeknd often has remarkable features, but yeah as a solo artist i'm indifferent

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Trilogy was great but then I got sick of the same shtick. He went from mixtapes to CDs at whole foods fast thanks to drake. :canada:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Housh posted:

Trilogy was great but then I got sick of the same shtick. He went from mixtapes to CDs at whole foods fast thanks to drake. :canada:

Meh. Drake used him just as much for song writing. OVO is nothing but a Drake music making factory which is why Weeknd left. Even PND's songs that get popular get attributed to Drake as he likely has a feature on it.

What really caused him to blow up was that 50 shades of gray song that got super loving popular.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I totally forgot about that. Twilight fan fiction made so many careers.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Bitches love abel

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Jellidelic posted:

Not to be one note but people are going to call you an idiot who makes garbage music even if you drop mbdtf so go whole hog and own it and send me an av cert if you get signed

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PexGMPD1fGI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ex38L8xtNI

don't love the weeknd but i can respect it. love the way that second song transitions in the middle

Play fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 22, 2016

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

temple posted:

Never forget

why do her tits look like they were xeroxed and then pasted back on her torso

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

lmao the merch tables at the show i went to were absolutely insane. they literally almost got rushed by the crowd

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
surprised weeknd has a new album out so fast. new song's okay but super loving generic for a daft punk production

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it's such a boring song

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
House of Balloons is still Abel's best work by a country mile imo

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

his first mixtape (house of balloons) was really cool and unique when it first came out. second and third mixtapes werent as good then instead of making a new album he just fiddled with the songs from his mixtapes in the studio and ended up making them worse for his first proper release. stopped paying attn to him much after that as far as solo stuff but i like his feature work a lot :shrug:

i saw him live sometime around this mixtape phase and it was a nice show he had a band and whatnot.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah ok so Kanye was loving insane on the floor, I had a lot of fun. I basically always stayed under the stage and for the slower songs I would take a break to catch my breath/actually watch Kanye.

Merch was retarded like everyone said, was in a line for 20 minutes and then I saw a lot of people just cutting the line eventually I stopped moving and said gently caress it. Bought a shirt after the concert was over but yeah that poo poo was hell.

Probably one of the most crazy concert experiences honestly, we really developed like a sense of comradery under that stage and everyone was having fun. Recommended for sure

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Glad to hear you had a great time.

I hope it's gonna to be a Cruel Winter in a GOOD way

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Oh yeah forgot, over 300 people were sold fake tickets, including stubhub apparently were selling fakes. Huge poo poo show, just take it as a warning sign and be cautious who you buy tickets from.

Merch lines were hosed up too. Terrible organization from the venue staff.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Shoutout to all the scummy promoters reading this. Thanks for disrupting the moral economy.

Content:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmJl1HxU2_8

Housh fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 22, 2016

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Yeah I don't really keep solo The Weeknd songs in my rotation, but every single song he is featured on he kills it.

Gifted w/ French Montana, Pray 4 Love w/ Travis Scott, One Of Those Nights w/ Juicy J, Low Life w/ Future, Might Not w/ Belly, In Vein w/ Rick Ross, etc etc.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
This is pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwkn02XmWhQ

Ran across this since I'd seen DUCKWRTH do some good TeamBackpack sets a while back. Hasn't always been my thing but I recognize the talent.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm actually very liking the new weeknd track. Don't know if the album will be good since I also liked Can't feel my face when it came out but ended up only liking like 3 or 4 songs from his album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I usually like his production. That style was kinda a new thing in R&B when he started (and dudes still haven't quite copied the formula yet).

And as someone mentioned before Often is a ridiculous track.