Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Freehand looks better when done right IMHO but digital is quicker and more flexible (plus It's easier to fix spelling goofs). If translation is definitely going to be a thing I'd definitely go digital.

Haven't used GIMP though so I can't help you there. I imagine it would work fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

mike12345 posted:

I'm currently working on the second draft of my first comic story. Thinking about the speech balloons - draw em freehand or use digital vector lines? What do you guys use for that? I like the digital option since it leaves more room for translations. Also, just use GIMP?

If you really want a free package go with Krita. Otherwise Clip Studio Paint is the best.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Cool, I'll take a look at Krita. Although I've already read really good tutorials for setting up the layout, panes, and balloons using GIMP. Yeah Manga Studio is cool, but probably a bit overkill atm.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Can I use Google Streetview as a template for backgrounds, or will Google sue me if they notice its taken from Streetview? I'm not talking about tracing it, but drawing it freehand (on paper) while glancing at the screen.

e:

Ok, found something
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1364072.html

quote:

I had numerous email and telephone conversations with Google attorneys and Maps Team members back in 2008 regarding my use of Street View images as reference material for drawings and paintings. We talked about my series of paintings I was working on, and the project I envisioned.

I asked for permission to use the images and the decision made was that all artists can use Street View images to create (and sell) drawings and paintings without fear of copyright infringement from Google.

In fact, I sold several large pieces to Google for their San Francisco and London offices, and sold a series of 51 paintings (one from each U.S. state and the District of Columbia) to an attorney for Google.

mike12345 fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 22, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

People generally speaking don't care about you using photographs for references in art.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Fangz posted:

People generally speaking don't care about you using photographs for references in art.

Well there was the whole debacle about that street artist using a Reuters photo (?) to create the iconic Obama "Yes we can" image. Plus I've worked at a publisher for some time, and we definitely got sued by a mapmaker who recognised his map in one of our illustrations (to be more precise the peculiar shape of a country, interestingly enough something mapmakers have done as a copyright trick since the middle ages).

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

That thing I just read sounds like the most unlikely thing to ever happen again.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Scribblehatch posted:

That thing I just read sounds like the most unlikely thing to ever happen again.

yeah

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

mike12345 posted:

Well there was the whole debacle about that street artist using a Reuters photo (?) to create the iconic Obama "Yes we can" image. Plus I've worked at a publisher for some time, and we definitely got sued by a mapmaker who recognised his map in one of our illustrations (to be more precise the peculiar shape of a country, interestingly enough something mapmakers have done as a copyright trick since the middle ages).

Both of those cases are very different from the situation we are talking about.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Fangz posted:

Both of those cases are very different from the situation we are talking about.

You made a general statement about people not caring about using photographs as reference. All I'm saying is it's not trivial, but whatever.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

mike12345 posted:

You made a general statement about people not caring about using photographs as reference. All I'm saying is it's not trivial, but whatever.

What part of 'generally speaking' implies it's trivial? And how is photomanipulating a photograph, or using a non-photographic map comparable to using a photograph as an art reference?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Fangz posted:

What part of 'generally speaking' implies it's trivial? And how is photomanipulating a photograph, or using a non-photographic map comparable to using a photograph as an art reference?

I don't know what's going on here. I specifically asked about possible legal issues concerning the use of Google Streetview, and you gave me a one line reply without further explanations. Do you expect me to just run with it? Idk maybe this is a lost in translation kind of situation right now.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You can have action taken against you for referencing copyrighted material, regardless of its shape or form, if an argument is made that it's close enough to be confused with the original material. There's no distinction between freehand or tracing, all that matters is someone can prove the work is similar enough to be damaging to them.

So "generally speaking" people don't care although I'd personally rephrase that to "generally speaking" people won't notice if you're loosely referencing.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Here's the trick: if you're afraid of being pinched for stealing a photographer's composition as evidenced by the specific perspective of the camera, draw the subject of the photo from a different angle than it was taken from. Master this valuable skill, draw things from angles other than the one you're seeing them from. Get strong.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I did my first con this weekend and I had a blast even though it super tired me out by the end of it. I tabled with a friend, we had fun, and I handed out a bunch of flyers. Now I'm energized and full of feel-good spirit and ready to get my next chapter out the door.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Any opinions on Tapastic? I want to launch a small project and have all the website/community features on the back end without worrying about it too much.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I'm using it as a mirror/extra place to get eyes on my stuff, but I've only done one chapter there so far. I don't think there's a lot of cross over from there to my main site but I get a few comments when I update which is nice. It's a very self contained community, but I can't see it hurting you in the long run.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my comic is about a naked sprite who doesn't understand love

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Avshalom posted:

Sprite comics are a thing of the past, old timer

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Avshalom posted:

what about Choo Choo?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

sweeperbravo posted:

what about Choo Choo?
well obviously there's a secondary cast, i can't just have a webcomic about one character, that would be obscene, you're obscene, how can you be so obscene get out of my house

Metrofreak
Mar 17, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I had an aneurysm of inspiration.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I'm looking for an artist to work with me on a project.

I'm looking for a partnership here, who would have equal say over story and pretty much everything that goes on there in.

Where would be a good place to start looking?

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Burkion posted:

I'm looking for a partnership here, who would have equal say over story and pretty much everything that goes on there in.

whats the pay?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
was there a consensus on whether its worth it to turn one's handwriting into a font? i know it's been brought up before, but i don't remember what the outcome of the discussion was

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Burkion posted:

Reddit's Comic Book Collabs subreddit is a good start for many small projects, and you can post sample scripts, etc., to attract a free or paid artist. Obviously the free artists are going to be first-time deviantart teenagers, but I have seen quite a few successful projects start there.

Edminster posted:

was there a consensus on whether its worth it to turn one's handwriting into a font? i know it's been brought up before, but i don't remember what the outcome of the discussion was
I would suggest no, unless you have incredibly clear and distinct handwriting. There are some cases where going wild with hand-lettering is essential ( see anything Emily Carroll has ever done ), but most of the time I feel like a good ol' Blambot font will get you where you need to go fastest.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Having a font in your own lettering style can be really easy to both make sure your lettering is distinct and you're not swimming in the same Anime Ace free-use pool as everyone else. I started my comic using Mighty Zeo but my trick to make hand-lettered words consistent with my back pages is I'll type the text in the same font and size as always , but I'll drop opacity on my letters and make a new layer and hand-letter overtop, using the font as an Ames guide to get my letter size and kerning consistent. It's sort of a hack-job solution but it does the job if those are your needs.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
The main thing about hand-lettering is it makes editing and revising your text (which you'll definitely have to do at some point, either to fix typos or to adjust balloon/text placement) a real bitch. On the other hand, hand-lettering can "gel" way, way better with certain art styles, specially if your handwriting is real nice. Flaunt 'em if you got'em!

There's always the possibility of using a template tool to create your own font that looks like your handwriting, but I haven't had great results with that yet.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I used one of those free online converters and it's serviceable, though some of the kerning and stuff I have to adjust manually in manga studio. Anyway I like it because I can then hand letter words for emphasis or sound effects and it's meshed nicer with my art, in my opinion. It's also a nicer contrast for when I use a professional font like the text narration on this page.

If I could all hand letter, I would, but the convenience of editing and rearranging dialogue makes up for it.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
So Mercury Hat advised me to post my question here. I'm sure I did that already some time ago,
but I'll try again:

I make the comic Captain Anchovy. The stories and strips are published in the Belgian magazine http://www.spirou.com/
I also translate the strips in English and put on my site: http://mrfart.be twice a week.

The site was made with wordpress/comic easel like most online comic sites.
However it has some errors. I payed a freelancer to fix it and she made it considerably worse.
I tried to hire other freelancers and it seemed they didn't know what they were doing either.
So now I'm still looking for someone who knows Comiceasel and can fix the problems.
I'm willing to pay for it of course.

if I can't find somebody I was thinking of starting from scratch.
Does anybody have experience with Grawlix? It looks less messy than wordpress.
But maybe it's very limited?

Prof. Ann Mary Ann
Mar 13, 2008

♫  He’s a hypnotist,
   hypnotist of ladies  ♫

mrfart posted:

Does anybody have experience with Grawlix? It looks less messy than wordpress.
But maybe it's very limited?

Flatulent sir,

I'm the developer of Grawlix. Its front-end code is intentionally less complicated than WP. If you can build plain HTML pages you shouldn't have much trouble creating your own theme. We can help with that as well if you'd rather spend money than time.

We don't have a universe of mods and plugins, so that may be limiting to some. We want to add stuff like that, but the Grawlix Team is only two people right now.

Also if you become a user, you can help influence product development. Please do check out Grawlix and feel free to ask questions!

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
Is anybody doing NaNoManGo this year? I'm using it to get the rough ash-can version of my long-form comic legible for it. Would love to have some like-minded people doing the same thing over November.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Is it almost November already? Heck yeah, I'm basically always doing NaNoManGo and I've got to get rolling on my next chapter, so we can use this thread for progress updates if you want :) .

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm tempted to do this, need to try and get my current project off the ground.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Prof. Ann Mary Ann posted:

Flatulent sir,

I'm the developer of Grawlix. Its front-end code is intentionally less complicated than WP. If you can build plain HTML pages you shouldn't have much trouble creating your own theme. We can help with that as well if you'd rather spend money than time.

We don't have a universe of mods and plugins, so that may be limiting to some. We want to add stuff like that, but the Grawlix Team is only two people right now.

Also if you become a user, you can help influence product development. Please do check out Grawlix and feel free to ask questions!

Wow that's great.
I don't need a plethora of plugins.
What I like about comic easel is the function to batch upload a bunch of comics and schedule in advance when they'll be posted. Is this possible with grawlix? Also, it looks like it's possible to have more than 1 comic on a site but I didn't see it in one of the example sites.

Thanks

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I always plan to do NaNoManGo but inevatibly fail to even get started. This year I swear I will finally kick procrastination's face in.

Prof. Ann Mary Ann
Mar 13, 2008

♫  He’s a hypnotist,
   hypnotist of ladies  ♫

mrfart posted:

What I like about comic easel is the function to batch upload a bunch of comics and schedule in advance when they'll be posted. Is this possible with grawlix? Also, it looks like it's possible to have more than 1 comic on a site but I didn't see it in one of the example sites.

Grawlix has you mostly covered.

The current version allows one comic "book" per site. This can be worked around if you're comfortable doing FTP things. (Or you can hire us to setup your site.)

The next major release will allow for more books.

Prof. Ann Mary Ann fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 29, 2016

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

GreatJob posted:

Is anybody doing NaNoManGo this year? I'm using it to get the rough ash-can version of my long-form comic legible for it. Would love to have some like-minded people doing the same thing over November.

I am debating doing it since Inktober has been really great for my productivity, and it'd be cool to keep the productivity train rolling.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

It's November first, is everyone ready to Nanomango :) ?

If you don't know, Nanomango is the comics equivalent to Nanowrimo. Originally the goal was 30 pencilled pages in 30 days, but you can also set a different goal for the month if you want. 30 pages of thumbnails? 20 inked pages? 10 fully colored pages? Whatever fits your work flow, the idea is to get motivated, not burned out.

It can be part of an ongoing project or something new, it's up to you.

Here's my goals for the month: Get the pencils for my next chapter done no later than the 10th assuming the US hasn't sank into the ocean and start updating with finished pages no later than maybe the 16th. These are soft dates, of course, but I'm hoping to come out ahead since this chapter's gonna be fun to draw :) .

Currently I'm finishing up the thumbnails, then I can start on the pencils. Hopefully I can get that going tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
My NaNoManGo goal is to have a script and thumbnailed pages for a (very) short story set in the mesolithic universe I've been planning in secret for over a year now.