Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

This thread includes Dark Horse and Avatar, eh?
What luck! Comixology started a sale of Dark Horse's Avatar: The Last Airbender comics, and they're all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
I just read Grit Bath not knowing what it was other than an Amazon recommendation after liking Josh Simmons' Black River. What the gently caress did I read? What the hell was that? I guess it lived up to it's name because I feel really unsettled and dirty for reading that.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Space Fish posted:

This thread includes Dark Horse and Avatar, eh?
What luck! Comixology started a sale of Dark Horse's Avatar: The Last Airbender comics, and they're all good.

Internet high five, thanks for the heads up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I think I've gone indie crazy.

Bounty #1
-Now this is what I expected when I picked up Kim & Kim. Ridiculous space adventure poo poo with a bunch of maniacs.

Gold Star (oneshot)
-A writer travels to an awards show. He doesnt cope well.

Kill Six Billion Demons: Book One
-There's a whole thread about it! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745508

Magic Girls #1
-Magical girl hates her new costume, gives up. Her mascot tries to take over. Younger audience material, but cute.

Princess Princess Ever After (oneshot)
-Cute Princess/Princess/Prince/Fantasy adventure. Again probably aimed at a younger audience.

Sun Bakery #3
-Corey Lewis' anthology book, featuring Corey Lewis, Corey Lewis and Corey Lewis.

Thin #1
-Domestic horror. Caught my interest so I'll keep looking to see where this goes.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 9, 2016

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

SynthOrange posted:

Kill Six Billion Demons: Book One

Thank you for telling me that this exists.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I am enjoying Bounty as well so far

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jeff Lemire next thing is a multimedia colab with Gord Downie (Tragically Hip), producing a graphic novel to accompany his album and illustrations for an animated TV movie. It's a true story about a Canadian First Nations kid who died trying to escape a forced native integration school in the 60's.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/gord-downie-chanie-wenjack-1.3753823

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

I think I've gone indie crazy.

The only stories worth reading honestly.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Superhero stuff just bores me to tears these days. Vision and Squirrel Girl are pretty much the only ones I pick up.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I read through what there is of Lady Killer today and would like to second whoever it was who recommended it earlier

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

12 page unlettered preview of Mark Millar/Greg Capullo's Reborn
http://www.newsarama.com/31012-millar-capullo-s-reborn-is-a-cross-between-lord-of-the-rings-mad-max.html#s13

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I am really digging Animosity and it's continuing thing of 'deer are assholes'. Plus the notion of a dog having watched a bunch of zombie films is pleasing to me.

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

I am really digging Animosity and it's continuing thing of 'deer are assholes'. Plus the notion of a dog having watched a bunch of zombie films is pleasing to me.

That was recommended on a podcast and haven't been able to find it at my shops. I might just do digital for that one, but I don't wanna. :colbert:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The dad sure is a dick for no reason though. Like, I get that he's frustrated and powerless but what the gently caress. Is he just that one guy in the family that always hated the family dog? How dare you save my daughter, you gonna kill me next????
I look forward to more Marxist animal movements

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

XTORT posted:

That was recommended on a podcast and haven't been able to find it at my shops. I might just do digital for that one, but I don't wanna. :colbert:

They apparently sold out the first and second printing and are on their third. That's awesome for them. I haven't read a lot of Bennet other than when she was teamed up with Gillen. Is her stuff normally this good, or is this a case of the story being something she's really passionate about so it comes out in the writing?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't know if anyone else is reading Letter 44, but uh... that escalated rather quickly.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

X-O posted:

I don't know if anyone else is reading Letter 44, but uh... that escalated rather quickly.

I'm following it in trades, and every one ends with a bigger escalation, so I can only imagine.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

TheFallenEvincar posted:

The dad sure is a dick for no reason though. Like, I get that he's frustrated and powerless but what the gently caress. Is he just that one guy in the family that always hated the family dog? How dare you save my daughter, you gonna kill me next????

He's just mad the dog's smarter than him now.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

X-O posted:

I stopped a bit after WW3 kicked up and the astronauts found out that the aliens were going to save only the astronauts from an asteroid but the humans convinced them to help... I think?, and the reason I fell off mostly is that the first spoiler I found kinda dumb and uninteresting, particularly since it's a big topic that can't really be covered well in ~12 pages per issue. Did that ever wind down? I guess about there is where I decided to read the whole thing when it's done.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TheFallenEvincar posted:

yeah honestly that felt really weird and totally unwarranted. I have no emotional investment in these characters, and that scene meant basically nothing to me. I'm interested to see where this is going, but not as much as I was after issue 1.

Also good this week: Brigs Land (this very much feels like a TV show pitch, but that's not a bad thing... I'd watch the hell out of this) and Mycroft (it's dumb fun, but it's fun).

I haven't read my copy of Black Monday Murders yet, I'm hoping it's as good as #1.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Black Monday Murders #2 was pretty interesting. Definitely a series I'm glad to be reading as it comes out so I don't get spoiled on big reveals.

Animostiy #2 was weaker than the first issue I think, but, it still has some good gags, and I'm looking forward to see where the rest of the plot goes.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O posted:

This issue was crazy.
From your post, at the point where the prez's son goes to the hanger, I was imagining the comic really would wipe everyone out and suddenly we'd have a time skip to the 666 living out in space with the kid as an adult and the new protagonist. Nope. Even that hope was dashed away :lol:
Also, space orgy.

I wonder if the TV adaptation is truly dead. It would have great season cliffhangers.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Roth posted:

Black Monday Murders #2 was pretty interesting. Definitely a series I'm glad to be reading as it comes out so I don't get spoiled on big reveals.

I feel like I should be taking notes, though. Two issues in and I'm already doing a ton of "who is that and should I know them from last issue? how are they related? what's the Stone Chair again?"
Hickman | Coker | Garland | Wooton | Satan........... made me laugh out loud.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I read a comic called Monstress. If I browse through this thread will I find other awesome poo poo like that? I don't normally enjoy comics. I've tried a couple times to enjoy some of the comic series' I enjoyed as a kid and they just don't do it for me neither in the art or story department, but monstress was pretty awesome.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Reason posted:

I read a comic called Monstress. If I browse through this thread will I find other awesome poo poo like that? I don't normally enjoy comics. I've tried a couple times to enjoy some of the comic series' I enjoyed as a kid and they just don't do it for me neither in the art or story department, but monstress was pretty awesome.

This thread is focused mostly on good poo poo, it tends to be from the major non-DC/Marvel publishers such as Image and Dark Horse.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Like Youngblood!

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Reason posted:

Monstress is wonderful . If you like that, and haven't really kept up on comics otherwise, here's some suggestions (a lot of which you'll find in the thread):

Autumn lands: a book about a world populated by animals, divided between magic users who live in floating cities and those below, who they exploit. Magic starts to fail, and it turns into an excellent fantasy adventure.

Providence: by Alan Moore, a take on Lovecraft and being queer in the 1900s. Really compelling combination of storytelling and worldbuilding.

Saga: a space opera about a family and a war. Wonderful characters and relationships, great world building and generally considered one of the best comics of the last few years.

Descender: set in space as well, beautiful watercolor artwork. Cute, but also features a compelling group of protagonists and generally had a great conceit.

Spire: miniseries, part police procedural part s study of a city and its hosed up history /race relations. Fantasy.

Others to try: Lazarus and East of West, both depict factions jockeying for power in alternate history Sci fi versions of the US. Marjorie Liu had a run on X 23 that's pretty good, although u preferred Monstress. Try also looking at the wicked and the divine, southern bastards, bitch Planet, the fade out, rat queens, etc. as a sampling of some really good indie comics from the last while to get started with. There's really so many, and this thread has a lot of other good suggestions.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'd throw Prophet and The Spire for stuff that's sorta in the same general neighbourhood as Monstress.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Seven to Eternity had a good first issue. I think the main selling point is Opena's art but the world that he and Remender have created seems interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

Reason posted:

Purely out of curiosity, what made you pick up Monstress, especially if you don't normally like comics? Are there any other comics that you have enjoyed over the last couple of years? What are some that you've recently tried and haven't enjoyed?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Skeematic posted:

Purely out of curiosity, what made you pick up Monstress, especially if you don't normally like comics? Are there any other comics that you have enjoyed over the last couple of years? What are some that you've recently tried and haven't enjoyed?

Someone recommended it in the traditional games subforum with pictures of the art and it looked awesome. The things I haven't enjoyed is stuff like x-men and batman. Also thanks for all the recommendations everyone.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
On Wicked + the Divine 1831:

Anyone have any idea who Morpheus, Hestia, or (pre-Frankensteining) Hades were supposed to be? I got the Bronte sisters and Thoth/Poe, and I can hazard a guess at Perun, but I can't figure out those three.

Nobby fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 22, 2016

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

Reason posted:

You might want to take a look at Empty Zone, Injection, Discipline and (although not as dark, but kinda) Snot Girl. Monstress is pretty unique though. Although said earlier, Southern Bastards and Saga are two that deserves another mention.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Nobby posted:

On Wicked + the Divine 1831:

Anyone have any idea who Morpheus, Hestia, or (pre-Frankensteining) Hades were supposed to be? I got the Bronte sisters and Thoth/Poe, and I can hazard a guess at Perun, but I can't figure out those three.

WicDiv was so good! It was a great one shot story and adds nicely to the overall story. According to Tumblr the Gods were as follows:

Woden as Mary Shelley
Morrigan as Percy Shelley
Inanna as Claire Clairmont
Hades as John Keats
Lucifer as Byron
Thoth as Poe
Perun as Pushkin
Morpheus as Coleridge
The Norns/Fates/Furies as the Brontë sisters
Hestia as Mary Wollenstonecraft
William Blake as something angelic, or Sunday related or cat related? (Tiger tiger burning Bright)

I like that we now have a potential way to get some some more info about what the flip is happening with the current pantheon through the Creature (Current guess is that this is who Pink Woden is) now that Ananke is dead.

It did make me question the relation between the gods and the people they are based on, in universe. Did Mary Shelly still write Frankenstein? And what does Rhianna think of Sakhmet?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The art in that Wicked + Divine one-shot was so drat pretty.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
Britannia from Valiant is pretty neat. Gets a lot crammed into this first issue.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

the Gaffe posted:

Britannia from Valiant is pretty neat. Gets a lot crammed into this first issue.

Come talk about it on the Valiant thread! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740218&pagenumber=1

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

krakagar posted:

WicDiv was so good! It was a great one shot story and adds nicely to the overall story. According to Tumblr the Gods were as follows:

Woden as Mary Shelley
Morrigan as Percy Shelley
Inanna as Claire Clairmont
Hades as John Keats
Lucifer as Byron
Thoth as Poe
Perun as Pushkin
Morpheus as Coleridge
The Norns/Fates/Furies as the Brontë sisters
Hestia as Mary Wollenstonecraft
William Blake as something angelic, or Sunday related or cat related? (Tiger tiger burning Bright)

I like that we now have a potential way to get some some more info about what the flip is happening with the current pantheon through the Creature (Current guess is that this is who Pink Woden is) now that Ananke is dead.

It did make me question the relation between the gods and the people they are based on, in universe. Did Mary Shelly still write Frankenstein? And what does Rhianna think of Sakhmet?

Those pretty much all sound right (that was my guess for Perun), but Mary Wollstonecraft as Hestia seems unlikely. She may have given birth young, but her daughter's a member of the Pantheon. She'd be pretty old for WicDiv divinity as it's been presented so far. Plus, you'd think Mary Shelley/Woden would have had more of a reaction to her mention. Homegirl went to her grave to cry like, all the time.

EDIT: I like that while it's not really clear who the Brontes are (the Furies sounds like a better idea than the Fates to me), they all seem to have gone full Cathy. And isn't that really what counts?

Nobby fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 23, 2016

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

foutre posted:

Providence: by Alan Moore, a take on Lovecraft and being queer in the 1900s. Really compelling combination of storytelling and worldbuilding.

Just to calibrate my tastes a bit, what did you think of Neonomicon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its a prequel to Neonomicon, but is 90% less rapey than Neonomicon and more a travelogue through early 1900s New England populated by lovecraftian horrors. Closer to The Courtyard.

(may contain traces of rape)