Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MeLKoR posted:

"Please make this game a sausage fest, I want to be fully immersed in dicks!"

Now here is something you don't read everyday.

I remember at one point Roberts promised there would be nudity in the game. Maybe I'm misremembering or getting this crossed with the Chuthulu offshoot attempt.

I think a Star Marine, with the Star Citizen level of character deformation of limbs randomly, and naked men, would make very many good YouTube videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen: The Man Who Fell Through Earth

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

Hav posted:

Tallest building until downtown, and we're a very, very flat state.

I moved a little over a year ago from there and yeah that building is such a running joke to anyone there. Full of homeless dudes afaik.

I still get stupid memes about that building in my feed.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

his nibs posted:

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777359&perpage=40&pagenumber=78#post464528658

SwissCM posted:

Here's a good writeup from a VR developer (the dude behind the excellent and innovative Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades) about challenges faced from VR development:

Hey folks, A little late to the party, but I thought I'd add my two cents to this conversation, and share a bit of the challenges that I've faced, and some observations I've drawn from tackling the problem space of scaling systems/spaces/etc. for VR games.

There are a number of challenges faced by devs moving to VR (big and small) that I don't think folks who don't do game dev are quite aware of the magnitude of. These relate to what are called implementation patterns, patterns used for things like character controllers, physics objects, spatial event triggers, visual effects, the list goes on. Games from AAA to one-person-indie are in a sense, always resting on, building on top of this shared body of arcane knowledge on 'how we do things'. All the little stuff that contributes to things in games that you don't notice when they work well, but DO notice when they don't:
How a character model walks across a bumpy surface, or up and down stairs.
How heavy vs. light objects interact with the player/other forces, when and how they come to rest
How a door works
Fire/explostions looking like fire/explosions
The ability to rapidly jump between gameplay and interface manipulation situationally
A Main menu
The list goes on. In many ways, the 'indie revolution' in gaming, and frankly the rising across the board software quality of AAA games has occurred because of the fact that successful patterns, in abstract and in code, have become significantly easier to share/spread over the past decade, and many of those problem spaces have been effectively 'solved', meaning that there are 1-3 ways to do a given thing, because its the most reliable/easiest to implement for a desired behavior/context, and everyone just does that.

Now imagine a majority of it has been thrown out the window. THAT is where we are at.

And not just for one reason/property of VR, for several of them. The most prominent that I've dealt with are:

Stereoscopic Rendering
Far more of the content in traditional games we play is flat than you'd imagine. One can occasionally get a glimpse of this glitching a camera into an effect, or if its just poorly built, but seriously think for a moment about how pretty much every visual effect you see in a game is a bunch of flat 'cards' overlapping each other. Most of these look immediately wrong/bad the moment you introduce stereo (this is also incidentally why vfx in post-converted 3d films often look so stupid). We have just gotten to the point where its performance efficient enough to have truly volumetric effects in regular games (fog, pyroclastics, simple liquids, etc.), but all of these effects get GEOMETRICALLY more expensive for larger resolutions/higher framerates. Which brings me to:

VR Resolution and Framerate
1080x1200x2x1.4xPrewarp Supersamplingx90fps = 326592000 pixels (assuming a single pass, no overdraw at all) This is more pixels than full 4k gaming at 30fps, but in a context where using motion blur is out of the question (as most AAA games do), and dropped frames result in physiological discomfort. Plus, due to having two views involved, despite some major recent advancements in the common engines, the cpu overhead is much higher than rendering single 4k frames.

How to put this... we have gotten used to, especially with AAA games, of eating frame stability in the name of content. Other than Order 1886's rock solid 'cinematic' 30fps, and the latest DOOM (which is a technical tour de force), I can't remember the last time I played a major release game that didn't oscillate WILDLY draw-time wise. Even shops like Blizzard that used to be way better about this feel like they've knocked this down a few notches on their priority list.

So we now have a situation where the way we make everything, measure and create content, compose scenes, and combine everything at the end is a gun to our head. AAA productions in particular are not ready for how game-changingly hard this is. Those big games like Assassins Creed and Watchdogs? Yeah, major scenes, assets, mechanics, etc. were integrated into the final build mere weeks before those games went to cert. That ain't going to fly making VR games. An entirely new philosophy needs to be adopted oriented on significantly more organized pre-production, technical iteration and perf. testing in cycles throughout productions, frankly... constraining content production in ways that these large edifices aren't used to having to do. There is no longer a 'well, it doesn't run perfectly, but it works well enough' grey area. You hit frame-time, or you don't.

When it comes to the first AAA VR titles, expect some of them to cock this up ROYALLY. DOOM VR will probably run amazingly, because ID locked that poo poo down. Fallout 4 VR will probably run unreliably. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that 90+% of their resources in making that happen are about perf.

Physics
This is one that will hit folk differently based upon what type of game is being made, that I've grappled with to a preposterous degree in H3VR, because Anton made the quixotic decision to go 'everything's a physics object'. But even if you're not going to this extreme, it's important to realize that game physics engines are not architected to handle what we're already asking of them for VR games. They handle coarse interactions between man-sized objects very well and very fast. They handle vehicles... pretty drat well, if you're willing to throw 2-3 NERDS at the problem for the entire dev cycle of your game, and especially if you're building off a code-base that's been refined over a series of games (which is why we have so rarely new break-out IPs in those areas).

What they DONT handle well, is things the size of your fingers, or even your hands. Or the size of most of the objects you hold in your day to day existence. Keys and locks, glasses, mice, realistically sized levers/handles/etc. Even something like... using a crow-bar to twist-break a chain off. Utterly outside the realm of said engines to do without it being mostly non-physically canned. This is why thus far, most folk have gone with very arcadey, very loose/forgiving, non-physics-based solutions for common interactions that.. could be physics based (I almost said 'should', but that's just my position on things, certainly not a board truth).

One of the core value propositions of VR is this ephemeral notion of 'presence', which in part is this idea that we stop perceiving the interface between us and the content, and are merely acting and seeing and hearing and being. We have the tracked controllers for being able to give you hand-proxies, but at the moment it is actually game engine tech stack that is preventing use from making those hand-to-thing and hand-to-hand-to-thing interactions feel more solid, feel more reliable, and most importantly, have physics-based interactions at small scales that map to our received experience of the world. Part of this is a perf issue, part of it is a fundamental design/architecture where we need a physics engine tuned for inserting a key into a lock, not a roadster drifting around a turn.

Anywho, I hope this ramble has been at least somewhat interesting/illuminating to those of you who don't do VR dev, and helps to illustrate the degree of technical challenge that we're all embarking on at the moment. Many of these problems are things that disproportionately hit AAA-size developers, as they are behemoths, are slow to change, and are rife with inefficiencies, poor organizational structures, and are frequently crewed with underpaid, overworked, semi-burned out folks who don't want to be given another half dozen challenges on top of what they already deal with. I'm not saying it's hopeless, but I am saying that the big VR games (that really feel like things BUILT for the medium), are probably going to take a while.
9/22/16, 4:59 AM

ljw1004author; platinum
Joined Jan 17, 2005

LOL now imagine Crobbers trying to flip the "VR switch" on in SC.

EDIT: linked original post so as to not steal goon valor

D1E fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 22, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

MeLKoR posted:

I thought bf1 doesn't have girl soldats either

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Truga posted:

I thought bf1 doesn't have girl soldats either

That would make sense given that it's a WWI shooter, but in the world this man imagines 900 years in the future, women are still not considered able to pull a trigger.

e: (un)related rant: the "women shouldn't be allowed in the army because they might be raped" assholes trigger me. What the gently caress do you think will happen to women if your country is invaded and your army is defeated? They have every god drat right to fight in the front if they want to, it's literally their rear end on the line.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

MeLKoR posted:

This is actually a pretty common opinion, a lot of gamers are uncomfortable with women-as-concept being in "their" spaces. This is especially true when there is a convenient excuse like women largely not being present in an analogous real-world situation and thus breaking "immersion" because they can more freely criticize the presence of women without being accused of sexism.

You see this a lot more in traditional wargame or tabletop RPG communities, where it's typically framed within "verisimilitude." E.G. "That sci-fi soldier can't not have a penis, it breaks with the lore and in the Real World females aren't combat participants!"

tl;dr gamers love being surrounded by massive penises and will think and talk about throbbing cocks at the slightest provocation

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Hey guys, lets be fair here, the patch is only re-downloading 2/3 to 5/6th the game, so not ALL OF IT.

Chinese space station gonna crash soon too,

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/sep/21/chinas-tiangong-1-space-station-out-of-control-crash-to-earth

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Lime Tonics posted:

Hey guys, lets be fair here, the patch is only re-downloading 2/3 to 5/6th the game, so not ALL OF IT.

Chinese space station gonna crash soon too,

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/sep/21/chinas-tiangong-1-space-station-out-of-control-crash-to-earth

A good metaphor(?) for the chinese/world economy.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

That would make sense given that it's a WWI shooter, but in the world this man imagines 900 years in the future, women are still not considered able to pull a trigger.

e: (un)related rant: the "women shouldn't be allowed in the army because they might be raped" assholes trigger me. What the gently caress do you think will happen to women if your country is invaded and your army is defeated? They have every god drat right to fight in the front if they want to, it's literally their rear end on the line.

Considering they can't pull a trigger, their own weight, and have special training courses designed to be easier by 40 - 60% than the men's stuff? I wouldn't want them getting in my way either.

I feel that if women want to be on combat duty in squadron 42 , they should have to go through a man's basic training. It should take no less than 2 months of in game time to complete and they should get paid 70 cents to every dollar the men make because the men already completed the course and proved themselves.

If you say otherwise your just enabling weaker people to get themselves killed.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

grimcreaper posted:

Considering they can't pull a trigger, their own weight, and have special training courses designed to be easier by 40 - 60% than the men's stuff? I wouldn't want them getting in my way either.

I feel that if women want to be on combat duty in squadron 42 , they should have to go through a man's basic training. It should take no less than 2 months of in game time to complete and they should get paid 70 cents to every dollar the men make because the men already completed the course and proved themselves.

This is just reasonable, I mean I don't want women endangering my salvage crew if a pirate attacks. Also more women on my crew would lower the amount of virtual dicks I could possibly smoke and I am not okay with that at all.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

grimcreaper posted:

But what if a woman doesn't get military training and unbeknownst to her in one of the crates she loaded at Olisar a prowler is hiding, bidding his time to come out and take over the ship. Must she suffer the terrible consequences because you doubt her trigger pulling skills?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

grimcreaper posted:

Plus they'll just end up getting pregnant before a deployment and then the squadron will be down a "man".

They should enforce hysterectomies for all female Citizens.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Charles Get-Out posted:

This is actually a pretty common opinion, a lot of gamers are uncomfortable with women-as-concept being in "their" spaces. This is especially true when there is a convenient excuse like women largely not being present in an analogous real-world situation and thus breaking "immersion" because they can more freely criticize the presence of women without being accused of sexism.

You see this a lot more in traditional wargame or tabletop RPG communities, where it's typically framed within "verisimilitude." E.G. "That sci-fi soldier can't not have a penis, it breaks with the lore and in the Real World females aren't combat participants!"

tl;dr gamers love being surrounded by massive penises and will think and talk about throbbing cocks at the slightest provocation

Clearly you don't know about the Sisters of Battle.

But it's also that many people have a traditional view on combat where woman aren't supposed to be. You know, the whole less muscle mass thing, which is a real and proven fact. Yes woman can be just as strong as men but it requires quite a bit more effort to maintain that muscle.

The reasons people use are more just 'the stereotypical bad rear end douchebag soldier' are more appealing than the 'I broke a nail :(' character.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Star Citizen: Open Distraction, Closed Development

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

I think Lethality is the current uncontested übershill.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

grimcreaper posted:

This is just so blatantly misogynistic. There are lots of roles possible for female combatants in SQ42: medic, paramedic, combat medic, and that's just naming a few of them. Oh, and did you forget a little thing called "the inevitable consequence of piracy"? You don't get that with only dicks about, that would just be wrong.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Star Citizen: Open Distraction, Closed Development

Hey Beer are you sad you aren't allowed to attend CitizenCON 2016?

I mean, 'cuz you're a dirty leaver and all.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Thread's getting weird again.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Propagandist posted:

No. What's weird is that people think women should be allowed in combat zones when they could be making me a sandwich.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

D1E posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777359&perpage=40&pagenumber=78#post464528658

LOL now imagine Crobbers trying to flip the 'VR switch" on in SC.

EDIT: linked original post so as to not steal goon valor

VR needs 4K in 90fps? hosed up if true.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

This is just so blatantly misogynistic. There are lots of roles possible for female combatants in SQ42: medic, paramedic, combat medic, and that's just naming a few of them. Oh, and did you forget a little thing called "the inevitable consequence of piracy"? You don't get that with only dicks about, that would just be wrong.

Don't forget about space escort.

Or space tickle-fetish pornstar.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

grimcreaper posted:

Clearly you don't know about the Sisters of Battle.

But it's also that many people have a traditional view on combat where woman aren't supposed to be. You know, the whole less muscle mass thing, which is a real and proven fact. Yes woman can be just as strong as men but it requires quite a bit more effort to maintain that muscle.

The reasons people use are more just 'the stereotypical bad rear end douchebag soldier' are more appealing than the 'I broke a nail :(' character.

I'm not criticizing the viewpoint or trying to get into a serious discussion, I'm just making a funny about penises.

edit: I am one of those gamers that will talk about massive penises and throbbing dicks at the slightest provocation.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

grimcreaper posted:

No. What's weird is that people think women should be allowed in combat zones when they could be making me a sandwich.

Maybe they could distribute sandwiches and health packs in the back. Give them a cute uniform.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Charles Get-Out posted:

I'm not criticizing the viewpoint or trying to get into a serious discussion, I'm just making a funny about penises.

edit: I am one of those gamers that will talk about massive penises and throbbing dicks at the slightest provocation.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Star Citizen: Without Females, Who Will I Rape?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

Maybe they could distribute sandwiches and health packs in the back. Give them a cute uniform.

Your a genius. A God damned certifiable genius.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Propagandist posted:

My red phone just went off. What's going on?

You guys remember the very first live stream?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

his nibs posted:

Hahahahaha

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

spacetoaster posted:

I responded to the dummys angry about that amazon image having a freelancer in it with the whole ryan archer art theft thing. As expected it's cool for CIG to steal art. It's very common.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/53uj01/found_a_wild_freelancer_on_amazon/d7xg8kx

Mithious:
Technically it would be a violation of intellectual property rights rather than stealing, I suspect in both cases it is more likely due negligence or ignorance than an intentional act. The amazon art is probably someone that simply has no idea how intellectual property rights work and assumes they include anything on google images in a published work.

:eyepop:
So... Ryan Archer then?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

his nibs posted:

:banjo:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MeLKoR posted:

SC is missing a space food truck.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/53wrwo/meta_the_evocati_nda_breaches_and_rstarcitizen/d7xh6qk

this is so sad.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Colostomy Bag posted:

SC is missing a space food truck.

They had that Big Benny's noodle delivery spaceship concept as an April Fool's joke and Citizens literally began asking that they actually add it and the accompanying food delivery mechanics into the game.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 22, 2016

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

D1E posted:

Plus they'll just end up getting pregnant before a deployment and then the squadron will be down a "man".

They should enforce hysterectomies for all female Citizens.

That's in Squadron 42 Episode 30, where they take on the Fourth Stimpire (ETA: Q4 2250)

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

:psyduck:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/53w80w/star_citizen_10_for_the_chairman_special_edition/d7wsmtn

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

It really is. I'm not sure what is more sad, that he spends hours on this every week or the fact CIG doesn't care one bit in regards to his loyalty and at least attempt to fix the issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

D1E posted:

They're genuinely proud to be retarded.

It's in fashion.

Quavers posted:

:eyepop:
So... Ryan Archer then?

Ignorance is not a defense.