Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

Zenephant fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, they were all expecting there to be a (living) mastermind watching them. monobear showed up, said some poo poo about a death game, and then everyone fell into their old routines.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I suppose "it was such a terrible deathtrap that nobody bothered to find the obvious weakness" is a plot point that had to eventually happen.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

You know, the Monokuma door really was a secret exit from the game after all - just not what you assumed the exit was.

So Tengan was the mastermind. I guess that means the message he sent to Ryota will explain his motives. I assume that it was set to send automatically when the bracelets were deactivated.

I can't believe that this anime actually made me like Juzo. Compared to how little characterization the rest of the new people got, it's quite a shock.

I loved the cameos from the DR1 cast, but as soon as I saw the Mondo butter, I had to laugh at that. I also thought that Makoto would be able to break out of the brainwashing himself, but Juzo saving him wasn't too bad.

No survival counter this episode, to hide that both Kyoko and Juzo survived. I know that Juzo may have been the extra person alive last episode, but the drug case rolling away from Kyoko when she was discovered is just too much to ignore. If they made the point of showing it rolling away, it had to mean something - why else would they animate it?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Miaya is a robot and so doesn't count. That's my theory.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

By the way, we got another reference to the Zero escape series. It's not the first time someone cut off their hand to remove their bracelet.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm not surprised that Naegi didn't break out of it on his own. He's still very much an ordinary guy after all, there's no reason to believe a SHSL Animator's talents wouldn't work on him.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

BlazeEmblem posted:

By the way, we got another reference to the Zero escape series. It's not the first time someone cut off their hand to remove their bracelet.

I mean, yeah, but uh... why are there bracelets with forbidden actions in the first place if they're just going to make everyone commit suicide anyways? Either suicide brainwashing or complicated bracelet rules, not both please.

I hope tengans motive is that he just recently finished zero time dilemma and really sees similarities between himself and zero. Well, I hope that is at least the author's motive...

Tengan has the power to mind hack, technically. I think I'm being trolled.

Coffee Mugshot fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 21, 2016

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

cloofish posted:

Yo Zero Time Dilemma had probably the least convincing reveal I've ever seen.

What happened in ZDT?

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Anatharon posted:

What happened in ZDT?

The hidden participant and mastermind... is you!

EDIT: marked as spoiler even though it's kinda just a joke

Coffee Mugshot fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 21, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The reveal in ZTD was that there was a blind and deaf guy in a wheelchair sitting slightly offscreen the entire time, and no one ever talked to him or suspected him because he was blind and deaf. Except it turned out he was faking it. The implication was also that you were seeing everything through his eyes.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Sep 21, 2016

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Can we not unmarked spoil ZTD? It's only been out a couple months now and I haven't been able to buy it yet because I was saving money.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

FPzero posted:

Can we not unmarked spoil ZTD? It's only been out a couple months now and I haven't been able to buy it yet because I was saving money.

Sometimes life is simply unfair.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Yeah. ZTD spoiler Basically you have three routes to go through. This dude named Delta is slightly offscreen and the de-facto leader of one team. To its credit there is a lot of foreshadowing but it's the kind that only makes sense when you know the twist. Anyway Virtue's Last Reward set up Sigma and Phi as integral to saving the world but in reality Phi has to die and Sigma has to gently caress Diana to make Phi and Delta (the villain). It invalidates an entire game and basically Delta comes up and says he his motives are... complex, even though it's just A)He needs to do this for him and Phi to be born and B)He has to stop some random terrorist from destroying the whole world lol. By the way he's supposed to be this religious cult-like figure who's fighting to avenge his brother's murder, but in reality his brother means jack poo poo and some random kid in the hospital means more.

Anyway all I can say is that Zero Time Dilemma left me with a huge case of blue balls, and as such I have a very low bar for Danganronpa 3 to clear. Life is simply unfair etc, etc.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Also the big bad is the funniest character in the game and not in a good way lol.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

ZTD was good

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

At least the new Ace Attorney is good, so at least one of the holy trinity of VN's filthy gaijin know about delivers.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Four if you count Layton, though probably a bit moot on the recently delivering front considering it hasn't had a release here in over two years and Lady Layton is still aways off.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

So, one out of four, then?

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Finally watched the episode. I've kind of been making GBS threads on Danganronpa 3 a lot lately, and I've been dumping on Juzo, but I kind of liked the scene with the ending theme playing and Munkata finding him. The episode kind of redeemed Juzo for me a little, and I liked how that scene played out.

I still feel like most of the rest of this episode was dumb though. Hopefully the next two episodes will give some satisfying answers, but I really doubt it. Also, the Mondo butter got me too.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

Miaya is a robot and so doesn't count. That's my theory.

This could be true, but if it is, that only means there are two extra participants who have been secretly in the game from the very start. It wouldn't actually make it any more likely that Kirigiri or any of the other characters is still alive, unfortunately.

I like the "Juzo was counted as dead by the bracelet because he chopped off his hand, so the person who was still alive according to the survivor count was Kirigiri" theory best as an explanation.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

pretty sure the survivor counter isn't a thing in-story either and just exists to raise the tension for the viewers and maybe serve as a bonus clue for the observant, like it being down one participant before Izayoi was formally confirmed dead

at this point it probably counted Hagakure instead of hinting towards a secret participant though

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
So Chisa's murder sequence was definitely different than what actually happened. The brief snippet made sure to clearly show her face, unlike the others, giving further emphasis to her crying when she died unlike that version. I suppose it also underlines that while Kirigiri's conclusions are sound, she doesn't actually have all the information available.

Even if the others are true, I'm guessing she was the murder needle hiding in the haystack of suicide.

Also, ZTD was quite good, though I think people get thrown by the villain's hidden motive.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 22, 2016

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ZTD isn't bad but it does have a lot of problems, and they're all pretty much concentrated toward the end. It's frustrating because the middle of the game is probably the high point of the series imo. It's just so rushed at the end. Finally everyone's together again and we really don't get much of anything in terms of character interaction between the different. Hell, there's no final puzzle room, Delta just walks in, spouts a bunch of memes, forces you into a moral dilemma that doesn't really matter and then bam, end of the game. The epilogue is also condensed into Files and D Team doesn't even get that lol.

As a lot of people have been saying, DR3 may run into the same problem with only 3 episodes left to solve a bunch of mysteries. We'll just have to see. My feelings on it are more positive on it right now cause the last episode was really good.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Yeah, the ending for ZTD is somewhat unsatisfying. When the whole thing is essentially the villain trying to remove the player from the narrative, it can be kind of a little abrupt when he successfully does so.

As for Danganronpa, the endings have always been fairly abrupt, but it tends to do a decent job solving it's mysteries. I suspect people are wanting a sense of closure with Hope's Peak as well, which may be a bit tougher.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zero Escape is a series about time wizards sticking people in ridiculous math puzzles because determinism, there was no loving way any of them were going to end satisfyingly.

999's about as close as it got but it still had the whole "and then the masterminds hosed off, whatever."

e: not that the games are actually at all bad, just that there's a consistent pattern of dropping the ball right at the end

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Sep 22, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
ZDT is fine as long as you don't go into it with expectations of how it should end based on the previous games.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
My point is that brainwashing is actually a really dumb villain. I know it's been a part of the series from the start, but brainwashing people to kill themselves seems like the laziest way to resolve this. I'm more than a little disappointed because it really seems like monokuma and Junko are the only villains they could think of. Everyone else is unconvincing at best as a villain or ZTD levels of complicated and illogical. I was able to hold suspense of belief pretty well even through the DR2 ending, but monokuma actually needs to go away.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Yeah brainwashing is unsatisfying to say the least, but both games had generalized amnesia for what it's worth. I'm just waiting to hear out Tengan's complex motives or whatever.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The brainwashing bit is silly but I like the lack of an actual antagonist to face because Future Foundation is so fundamentally broken and dysfunctional all it takes for them to start murdering each other is saying "hey there's a traitor, go nuts". I would be satisfied if the final confrontation was Naegi talking Munakata out of being an idiot and episodes 11 and 12 are just denouement.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nothing really significant, if anything, happened in this episode.

I think next weeks "Despair" episode is called "Hope arc" though, it might be an entire series though, hard to say.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 22, 2016

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Nothing really significant, if anything, happened in this episode.

ah, a summary of Dangan Ronpa 3

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

That was rushed even by Kishi standards.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

TV Listings from Japan also suggest that both eps next week may be an hour.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Something very amazing happens in this episode unless I'm mistaken. Transcription in general for the impatient. Also this is confirmed the ending of the Despair arc- next week really is just a Q+A with voice actors or whatever that listing was.

Opens with Juzo and Chisa both convincing Munakata that there's no way Junko is evil. He decides to believe it as there's no way both of them would lie to him.

Hard cut to the class with Chisa all talking about how much they love despair and how Junko's plan is perfect etc. Bunch of normies finally get in and begin killing other students but never reach the top where Class 77 is. Cellphones go off and play the despair anime and they all begin to kill themselves. Chisa then nukes her classroom so they can all die in despair.

Junko, Izuru and Mukuro are on a building across from them watching all of this go down and Junko is pretty much just Junko-ing it up. Izuru however says that Despair isn't for him and he's decided that Hope is actually capable of making him feel things more important. Junko tries to stop him before he leaves saying they'll meet again. Junko just shrugs it off as she takes off to join class 78.

Jin Tengan and Kamukura all do absolutely nothing outside the fact that Jin decides to stay behind while the other two escape

Everyone from DR1 is around boarding up the school and Junko tries to kill Naegi who dodges a thrown wrench by slipping on paper. Junko can tell he's going to gently caress up her plans and wonders if she should kill him but "if he really does gently caress my plans up, that would bring me great despair too!" and decides against it.

Chisa is then saved from the building alone by Munakata who asks what happened. She reports that all of her students died in the blast and Munakata takes her in while Juzo beats himself up for letting this happen swearing he'll kill Junko for this. All of Chisa's photos from the credits are burned up in a fire.

Chisa then goes on to talk about how this is a happy ending because Junko's plan works and shows the students all being psychos. Mitarai is hiding out in a ruined building crying. It then cuts to Junko in a classroom with Monobear doing her laugh.

Credits play and lead into SDR2 where Hinata meets AI Chiaki. They greet each other and shake hands.

CONTINUED IN DANGAN RONPA 3: HOPE SIDE

Discussion
If there's a entire series for Hope then I'll be more fine with it. Gives a LOT more breathing room to the series and gaps can be filled as well making it a lot less rushed then it first appeared.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 22, 2016

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Enoshima is wearing her DR0 uniform and that explains why shes a bit meaner to Mukuro than usual this episode

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mysterious Website Update

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It just says 7 days left until the conclusion

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Yeah last episode is on Thursday, they're just calling it HOPE now instead of Despair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Baal posted:

It just says 7 days left until the conclusion

Realized that shortly after posting :downs:

Way overthinking things now

• Locked thread