Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The Journey Fraternity posted:

CSI has a bunch in stock.

Oh poo poo is $130 retail? I thought that was scalper pricing. Gonna need to hold off until next paycheck I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sockser posted:

Oh poo poo is $130 retail? I thought that was scalper pricing. Gonna need to hold off until next paycheck I guess.

It kind is? I got mine from CSI for $100 earlier in the summer when a new print came out. I don't know what distributors bought it for, there's no listed MSRP, so I can only assume everyone is pricing it to maximize their profits.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Talisman is terrible (why would you ever play it) but how would it ever take six hours? I guess if you don't play the first to the throne rule?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

sector_corrector posted:

Talisman is terrible (why would you ever play it) but how would it ever take six hours? I guess if you don't play the first to the throne rule?

Have you heard about the black hole ending, my man?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Sockser posted:

Cardhaus had it for $90 a couple weeks ago, watch them for another sale

EDIT: $108 currently

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 22, 2016

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've been on the fence about picking up a copy of Agricola. I haven't played it for like 4 years, and even then only maybe twice, and I'm not sure that the person who was teaching it knew the rules properly.

My group tends to have fun with Terra Mystica, Puerto Rico, Pandemic, and Dominant Species on more serious play days, or with Firefly and (yes) Talisman on "fuckaround and make fun of the fat guy while we eat pizza" days. Lately we've also been throwing in rounds of Tiny Epic Kingdoms, Splendor, Hanabi, and Codenames on either end of our main game for the day.

Does the thread think that my group would like Agricola?

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

CommonShore posted:

I've been on the fence about picking up a copy of Agricola. I haven't played it for like 4 years, and even then only maybe twice, and I'm not sure that the person who was teaching it knew the rules properly.

My group tends to have fun with Terra Mystica, Puerto Rico, Pandemic, and Dominant Species on more serious play days, or with Firefly and (yes) Talisman on "fuckaround and make fun of the fat guy while we eat pizza" days. Lately we've also been throwing in rounds of Tiny Epic Kingdoms, Splendor, Hanabi, and Codenames on either end of our main game for the day.

If you like Terra Mystica and Puerto Rico, you're probably going to love Agricola. It's an amazing game that I've never seen fall flat with anyone. I have seen grown men scream about how they'll cut anyone who takes that sheep but honestly I consider that the mark of solid game design.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Seconding this.
Agricola rules, and the expansion also makes it extra grizzly (you need to keep your hut warm or freeze to death).

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Played an oldie but goodie, Princes of Florence. I really like the choose points or money mechanic, keeps auctions interesting. I went for a build all the buildings and get all the builders route because it seemed the most direct way to get points without mucking with winning the WP race.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Yes. Partly because Agricola is a good game that has things in common with other stuff you like. Partly because it seems like your group likes everything. Is there anything that has really flopped?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I've had Agricola on my wishlist for a while, got the iOS app and found it confusing as hell. I imagine the game makes a lot more sense if you play the actual tabletop version of it first.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1641948/dominion-and-intrigue-second-editions

Dominion and Dominion: Intrigue are getting second editions, and a number of the bad cards no one ever buys from those sets are getting replaced with new cards that are (hopefully) worth buying. RGG is selling upgrade packs so that people don't need to buy new copies of games they already own to get the new cards. Inevitably, the question of how people who buy the new editions will be able to get Woodcutters, Chancellors, Thieves, et cetera was asked. Donald X responds:

Donald X posted:

There is currently no plan to print more of the replaced cards. We are replacing them to improve the products! And there are so many expansions now.

It's conceivable that demand would cause RGG to put out the removed cards as a special product; I hope that that demand doesn't materialize, because that product sounds bad.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dominon: poo poo Cards Only Edition

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

StashAugustine posted:

Dominon: poo poo Cards Only Edition

But Alchemy already exists? :confused:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

jmzero posted:

Yes. Partly because Agricola is a good game that has things in common with other stuff you like. Partly because it seems like your group likes everything. Is there anything that has really flopped?

I can't think of anything that has outright flopped, but there are a few that some people like and some people don't. BSG and Starcraft are the first that come to mind - about 50% of the group enjoys them, and then about 50% would usually rather play something else. Really, though, if a game is playable, we're an amicable enough crowd that we'll play something we don't like so much one week because we're just happy to have a night off work when we can play games with our friends.

For a bit more info, too, we also turn to Talisman and Firefly when we have too many people show up (6 or 7) for any of the other games.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

the panacea posted:

Seconding this.
Agricola rules, and the expansion also makes it extra grizzly (you need to keep your hut warm or freeze to death).

There are quite a few different versions and editions as I understand - what are the full and exact titles of these?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
What's wrong with Chancellor?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

canyoneer posted:

But Alchemy already exists? :confused:

Don't you dare besmirch Apprentice.

PerniciousKnid posted:

What's wrong with Chancellor?

DominionStrategy.com posted:

Most players’ first impression of Chancellor is that it’s crap. Then you start second-guessing yourself; you wonder whether or not you’re giving it short shrift. Maybe this is one of those “expert-level” cards that only good players can appreciate, you think to yourself. You start trying it out, faithfully trying to manipulate deck variance in your favor. Then you realize it’s still crap.

Nevertheless, Chancellor holds the unique title of “most overrated underrated card”. That is, you will continue to see people extolling its virtues, coming up with exotic scenarios that justify using a terminal Action on deck reshuffling.

The long and short of it is that although Chancellor offers a benefit, it’s a marginal and uncertain one. If you really want, you can get most of its benefit (and then some) from Watchtower/Royal Seal/Navigator anyway. And unlike just about every other card, there is never a board where you need a Chancellor in order to succeed. Yeah, it works nicely with Stash, but the fact that Chancellor’s best combo involves investing in another mediocre card (a promotional one, to boot) really should end up counting against it.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Gutter Owl posted:

My friend, let me introduce you to Tragedy Looper. It is a Good Game™*

*that has been repeatedly hosed up by its english language distributor, Z-Man Games. Just make sure to check the errata on BGG.

Seconding Tragedy Looper. It is really, really good. It's thrilling to play as the PCs, trying to piece together the mystery and solve the puzzle before your time runs out. It's tense to play as the mastermind and have everything go: even though with each passing loop the players gain more and more information to screw you over. Overall, it's just a really well-designed game.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
The problem with Chancellor is that 99% of the time the shuffle effect alone isn't enough to be worth the terminal space, even though it is a good effect. It's basically been superceded at this point by Messenger anyways, which is almost literally just Chancellor bolted onto Woodcutter.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Jedit posted:

Arkwright for sure.

TGZ isn't out of print right now, but I take your point on shipping.

Arkwright sounds worth a shot but every time I look at it I my interest plummets. I want to play a game, not stare at a bunch of charts! Maybe I'm missing out but just listen for a minute.

I feel this way because I'm an extremely visual (and tactile) person. I'm not talking about art and theme and miniatures - it's more about the visual information. Maps I "get". Routes I "get". Formations, etc I can get and so on. Arkwright just looks like a calendar to me or an amortization table and there's just no... there's no handles on it for my brain to grab, you know? I mean just look at this:

Really LOOK at it. Just humor me for a second here, okay? Look at it through the eyes of someone who looks with their hands and thinks with their eyeballs:

Some stuff just doesn't work for some people.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Any good 2 player legacy game recommendations? Holding on to a copy of legacy for a larger group but I'm looking at something for me and my wife

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
BTW The Great Zimbabwe is coming next on boardgamecore.net :f5:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

CommonShore posted:

I can't think of anything that has outright flopped, but there are a few that some people like and some people don't. BSG and Starcraft are the first that come to mind - about 50% of the group enjoys them, and then about 50% would usually rather play something else. Really, though, if a game is playable, we're an amicable enough crowd that we'll play something we don't like so much one week because we're just happy to have a night off work when we can play games with our friends.

For a bit more info, too, we also turn to Talisman and Firefly when we have too many people show up (6 or 7) for any of the other games.

When 6 show up, play Here I Stand instead!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Oldstench posted:

How long does that take? I have a copy I've been meaning to bust out

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Mister Sinewave posted:

gently caress yeah.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mister Sinewave posted:

I think it and Indonesia are going to be back in stock at BGB soon... which means thats $240 dollarydoos gone. But they're both great games and totally worth it, right guys??

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Malloreon posted:

How long does that take? I have a copy I've been meaning to bust out

That's a difficult question to answer. It's a monster game even if you are experienced with it. At minimum everyone needs to read the rulebook before starting. This isn't a game you can sit down at a table with 5 newbies and teach them. Each faction is different, has different goals, win conditions, assumed allies, and strategies. None of this will be clear from the outset.

Basically, assuming everyone read the rules beforehand, to play 2-3 turns in 4-6 hours for your first game and probably not continue on. If you enjoy that experience, the next game will go more quickly and smoothly and can likely be completed in 6-8 hours, 4-5 hours if you play the tournament scenario.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Oldstench posted:

If you like overlong dicefest experience generators, why settle for generic fantasy bullshit when you could be reenacting early modern religious wars?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
There are currently three versions of Agricola for sale. The original Zman one, the new Agricola revised one, and the new Agricola family one. My recommendation for first timers who can handle Terra Mystica is Agricola revised. It's approved by the original designer and it removes a lot of the unbalanced cards of the original.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

I think it and Indonesia are going to be back in stock at BGB soon... which means thats $240 dollarydoos gone. But they're both great games and totally worth it, right guys??

Indonesia will be worth it assuming they fix the map. For some reason TGZ didn't stick with us, although I still own it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Mister Sinewave posted:

Arkwright sounds worth a shot but every time I look at it I my interest plummets. I want to play a game, not stare at a bunch of charts! Maybe I'm missing out but just listen for a minute.

I feel this way because I'm an extremely visual (and tactile) person. I'm not talking about art and theme and miniatures - it's more about the visual information. Maps I "get". Routes I "get". Formations, etc I can get and so on. Arkwright just looks like a calendar to me or an amortization table and there's just no... there's no handles on it for my brain to grab, you know? I mean just look at this:

Really LOOK at it. Just humor me for a second here, okay? Look at it through the eyes of someone who looks with their hands and thinks with their eyeballs:

Some stuff just doesn't work for some people.

Dunno what to tell you. Business games aren't visual or tactile as a point of attraction anyway, so if you want to play those types of games you'll need to adjust your brain. Arkwright is a really good business game, but if you need more hooks, then you should move on.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

If you like overlong dicefest experience generators, why settle for generic fantasy bullshit when you could be reenacting early modern religious wars?

I was just suggesting a better game that suits 6. :colbert:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Between Agriocola getting a revision and Dominion getting upgrade packs I'm beginning to wish I had held off on buying all of the classic games when I started the hobby.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Lorini posted:

There are currently three versions of Agricola for sale. The original Zman one, the new Agricola revised one, and the new Agricola family one. My recommendation for first timers who can handle Terra Mystica is Agricola revised. It's approved by the original designer and it removes a lot of the unbalanced cards of the original.

poo poo, not having played Agricola before but wanting to get in on it I got the family one -- I honestly thought Agricola revised WAS the family one :doh:

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 22, 2016

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
All Creatures Big and Small is the best version of Agricola, anyway.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Huxley posted:

All Creatures Big and Small is the best version of Agricola, anyway.

Yes, if you want a night time game to put you to sleep :cmon:

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

w00tmonger posted:

Any good 2 player legacy game recommendations? Holding on to a copy of legacy for a larger group but I'm looking at something for me and my wife

Pandemic Legacy is supposed to work perfectly fine with 2, and you could easily control 2 characters apiece if you wanted.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

SilverMike posted:

Pandemic Legacy is supposed to work perfectly fine with 2, and you could easily control 2 characters apiece if you wanted.

More meant a different legacy game but I appreciate that thought

Lorini posted:

Yes, if you want a night time game to put you to sleep :cmon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

w00tmonger posted:

More meant a different legacy game but I appreciate that thought

The genre's new, so you'll be waiting on it to get populated. Risk Legacy and Seafall probably wouldn't work for 2 players, Gloomhaven might but no one knows if that'll be good yet.