Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Ugh, do I evolve the Level 30 Dratini at 15/14/2 or the Level 23 Dragonair at 15/15/13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Dr Tran posted:

Ugh, do I evolve the Level 30 Dratini at 15/14/2 or the Level 23 Dragonair at 15/15/13

Latter first. If it has non-poo poo moves you already beat the odds.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!
HP might be the most important IV. Defenders get 2x HP, and the way the game rounds down numbers on attack formulas means you may not even see benefit from attack IVs etc.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i had a dream last night that i was at a movie theater and found Classic Pikachu (it was named Classic Pikachu and made the old gameboy cry instead of saying its name) in pokemon go and mentioned it to my friends and then got trampled to death by a horde of people trying to catch it

it looked like this

anyway thanks for reading i hope you enjoyed this dream where i died

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

I used to have this toy. If you touch the feet, it says Pikachu.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
So I've hit the next step of trying to be even lazier than the Pogo Plus already allows me to be! Finally got the right kind of screwdriver, so I've started the process of disassembling it and trying to figure out what everything does. Very sorry that I don't have a better camera, but here is what everything looks like.

All the parts:

Top close up (I left the close up photos at their original resolution, in case someone wanted to look closely):

Bottom close up:

For those who might be worried that I just destroyed a very hard to get ahold of device (like I was), I put it back together and it works great! It drives away all the Pokemon I find just as effectively as before.

Looking at this, I can definitely tell where the LEDs, vibratey bit, and buttons are. It looks like it will be easier to just wire into the vibration motor, since there are those two super obvious wires there. I'm really not sure how to get at the button tho -- its just so small, and has no easy wires for me to connect to. Would love someone with more experience's thoughts here. My vague plan is to poke it with my multimeter a bunch until I find something out, or post on Stack Exchange.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
That there is a perfectly ordinary button. They use them in, say, headphone remote controls for smartphones. I'd look thataway for guides on how to safely disassemble it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

There appear to be 4 connections in a square around the button. do you have a multimeter or some other way to tell if you have an unbroken circuit?

If so, figure out which two leads change when you press the button, and use those. Unfortunately, some buttons are neutral-ON and some are neutral-OFF, so you'll have to figure out which it is in this case. Again, it's all about which reading changes when you press the button.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

BrianBoitano posted:

There appear to be 4 connections in a square around the button. do you have a multimeter or some other way to tell if you have an unbroken circuit?

If so, figure out which two leads change when you press the button, and use those. Unfortunately, some buttons are neutral-ON and some are neutral-OFF, so you'll have to figure out which it is in this case. Again, it's all about which reading changes when you press the button.

I do! I'll poke around at the leads and see what I get.

endlessmonotony posted:

That there is a perfectly ordinary button. They use them in, say, headphone remote controls for smartphones. I'd look thataway for guides on how to safely disassemble it.

This was helpful, thanks!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Can you get a photo with stronger lighting? If I could see the traces better I could point you in the right direction. If you are getting reflections on the board try diffusing the light with a thin sheet of paper.

The easiest way to attach a wire to an already soldered circuit board component is to separately tin the tip of the wire leaving a bit of solder, hold it to the joint where you want to connect it, then bring the soldering iron into contact with both the wire and the the joint just long enough to melt the solder and make the connection. It doesn't make the best mechanical quality joint but it does work and carries significantly less risk of damaging components.

But you might be in luck. I would say it is likely that one or more of those pads on the rear of the board are connected to the button, allowing them to use a jig to check functionally of the device during manufacture instead of having to poke around with a DMM. You might be able to tap in there.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Shifty Pony posted:

Can you get a photo with stronger lighting? If I could see the traces better I could point you in the right direction. If you are getting reflections on the board try diffusing the light with a thin sheet of paper.

The easiest way to attach a wire to an already soldered circuit board component is to separately tin the tip of the wire leaving a bit of solder, hold it to the joint where you want to connect it, then bring the soldering iron into contact with both the wire and the the joint just long enough to melt the solder and make the connection. It doesn't make the best mechanical quality joint but it does work and carries significantly less risk of damaging components.

But you might be in luck. I would say it is likely that one or more of those pads on the rear of the board are connected to the button, allowing them to use a jig to check functionally of the device during manufacture instead of having to poke around with a DMM. You might be able to tap in there.

I'll try and get one tomorrow! Will have access to better camera + a less dimly light place then.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!
If you use cameras you may already know this, but you could get a decent picture on your phone/dslr by holding the subject close to a lamp(the bulb). the sensors will adjust for a shorter exposure, and produce a crisper image.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

A 10/15/15 pound/play-rough wigglytuff is something worth investing in bringing up four levels, right?

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.

Shifty Pony posted:

A 10/15/15 pound/play-rough wigglytuff is something worth investing in bringing up four levels, right?

Pound/Play Rough is the best defensive set for wigglytuff, and is one of the best defenders in the game at that (especially since it is particularly good vs. dragonite).

I sure hope my phone isn't the lazy kind that enabled Bluetooth 4.1 but didn't actually add it to the ROM. Rooting my phone and doing the workaround for Pogo to work just seems lot a lot of effort. I'm kind of new to smartphones in general, can I just root it, fix the bluetooth, then unroot it?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Afgad posted:

Pound/Play Rough is the best defensive set for wigglytuff, and is one of the best defenders in the game at that (especially since it is particularly good vs. dragonite).

I sure hope my phone isn't the lazy kind that enabled Bluetooth 4.1 but didn't actually add it to the ROM. Rooting my phone and doing the workaround for Pogo to work just seems lot a lot of effort. I'm kind of new to smartphones in general, can I just root it, fix the bluetooth, then unroot it?

It's actually the worst defensive set, but the second best attacking set.

http://www.pogomoves.com/check.php?lang=en&pkmn=Wigglytuff&basic=Pound&charge=Play+Rough

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

It's actually the worst defensive set, but the second best attacking set.

You made me look into this more, and there is, apparently, room for interpretation on this.

Kukui's spreadsheet says Feint attack / Dazzling Gleam is the best defensive set.
Qmike's spreadsheet says pound/Play Rough is the best defensive set
But Gamepress (which bases its stuff on Qmike's sheet) lists Pound/Hyperbeam above Pound/Play Rough. They both have "A" ranking though.

Word on the Silph Road is that, in general, Qmike's sheet is the most accurate sheet available at the moment. He justifies why this is on the first page of the sheet.

Edit: I just noticed, the website you linked to seems to be based on Kukui's sheet. That's where the difference is.

Afgad fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 22, 2016

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

it's just a wigglytuff tho you dodge the moves and shoot it with water gun

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Afgad posted:

You made me look into this more, and there is, apparently, room for interpretation on this.

Kukui's spreadsheet says Feint attack / Dazzling Gleam is the best defensive set.
Qmike's spreadsheet says pound/Play Rough is the best defensive set
But Gamepress (which bases its stuff on Qmike's sheet) lists Pound/Hyperbeam above Pound/Play Rough. They both have "A" ranking though.

Word on the Silph Road is that, in general, Qmike's sheet is the most accurate sheet available at the moment. He justifies why this is on the first page of the sheet.

Edit: I just noticed, the website you linked to seems to be based on Kukui's sheet. That's where the difference is.

I think Qmike is generally accepted as a better model for damage.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
Pound/Play Rough is a good offensive moveset, but not as good as Pound/Hyper Beam. Feint Attack/Dazzling Gleam is the best defensive moveset.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Makes me lol that they encouraged Ingress players to add gravesites and churches. "Hey, you know what would be a good public place to send people to play this video game? Probably the ones with the greatest chance of entanglement with statutory trespassing, reactionary patrons, and an ambiance of solemnity!"

Literally anything else would have been a better choice, for a whole bunch of reasons. They should have encouraged people to tag 24 hour chow and truck stop gloryholes, instead.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Dahbadu posted:

Pound/Play Rough is a good offensive moveset, but not as good as Pound/Hyper Beam. Feint Attack/Dazzling Gleam is the best defensive moveset.

There is big disagreement here, so I encourage everyone to look at how the spreadsheets are calculated and make their own judgment call. Or, even better, test it. I have many wigglytuff, but none with Dazzling Gleam. Once I get them, I will make trip reports.

As for offensive moveset, I've been wanting to rain praise on my Pound/Hyper Beam 'tuff. It absolutely annhilates dragonites: I killed two dragonites with far, far higher CPs with my 'tuff, and this was after killing a 1300cp golduck. Wigglytuffs are the real deal.

I haven't tried the play rough set though, I may like it more if it allows dodging. Hyper Beam guarantees you'll get hit 2 or 3 times every time you fire it off.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So the review I just read of the Pokémon Go Plus says that there is a higher flee rate because it only throws one Pokeballs and that's it. And that of the Pokémon you catch you only get candies and not XP. on the walking side there is a glitch where eggs you hatch while using the Plus disappear.

Wtf. Why does this surprise me

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You people need to stop being so lazy and just buy a level 40 account like me.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Astro7x posted:

So the review I just read of the Pokémon Go Plus says that there is a higher flee rate because it only throws one Pokeballs and that's it. And that of the Pokémon you catch you only get candies and not XP. on the walking side there is a glitch where eggs you hatch while using the Plus disappear.

None of this is true except the one shot pokeball thing in my experience with it. No problems hatching eggs (I actually find it significantly improved since it can track me in stores and poo poo where I'm not wanting to walk around staring at my phone) and you definitely get xp, though if I remember there's a display glitch so it doesn't show up on screen correctly.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I just read a review that said niantic is staffed by 9 Hitlers. Wtf why would they hire so many Hitlers????

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Astro7x posted:

I've leveled up twice from using the Plus and hatched several eggs so I don't know what the hell they're smoking

And if anything that one Pokeball appears to catch more often than me flinging a single Great Ball myself at the same pissant Pidgey with the ring as small as I can manage

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

What's all this business about catching pokemon at 10CP? What's the purpose of it, wouldn't you rather have one with a higher CP instead?

Thought I knew this game man, looks like I'm only scratching the surface :stare:

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Parrotine posted:

What's all this business about catching pokemon at 10CP? What's the purpose of it, wouldn't you rather have one with a higher CP instead?

Thought I knew this game man, looks like I'm only scratching the surface :stare:

Bubble Strat

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

That's a neat power levelling trick, but man does it take a lot of set-up involved.

I think the only Diglett's I got were hatched from eggs :(

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Yeah it makes me wish I hadn't transferred basically everything CP10 I ever caught. I'm sure at least one of them would have made a defender and/or an attacker to do the strat. Oh well.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Zo posted:

I just read a review that said niantic is staffed by 9 Hitlers. Wtf why would they hire so many Hitlers????

Hitler actually got things done though :confused:

If niantic ran the nazi party, John Hanke would still be in jail

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Fusion Restaurant posted:

So I've hit the next step of trying to be even lazier than the Pogo Plus already allows me to be! Finally got the right kind of screwdriver, so I've started the process of disassembling it and trying to figure out what everything does. Very sorry that I don't have a better camera, but here is what everything looks like.

All the parts:

Top close up (I left the close up photos at their original resolution, in case someone wanted to look closely):

Bottom close up:

For those who might be worried that I just destroyed a very hard to get ahold of device (like I was), I put it back together and it works great! It drives away all the Pokemon I find just as effectively as before.

Looking at this, I can definitely tell where the LEDs, vibratey bit, and buttons are. It looks like it will be easier to just wire into the vibration motor, since there are those two super obvious wires there. I'm really not sure how to get at the button tho -- its just so small, and has no easy wires for me to connect to. Would love someone with more experience's thoughts here. My vague plan is to poke it with my multimeter a bunch until I find something out, or post on Stack Exchange.

EE here. Use your multimeter and I can draw you up a circuit for auto fire.

See the 4 studs around the button. Those are the switch pins. Put the meter in continuity buzzer mode and put the negative lead o the top left pin. That's pin one.

Put the positive lead on the next pin clockwise. Write down if it beeps. Then press the button and see if it beeps.
Do this for the three other pins and write down when there is a beep.

The LED is below the switch. I think the notches are the contacts.

Put the meter in diode test mode and probe the LEDs. Start with plus probe on top and then write down what the multimeter says. Then swap and write down what your multimeter says.

I will be home later and will draw up a circuit for you.

Also take some brighter pictures as well. This should be an easy hack.

E: Give me as close a clear picture of the LED. It might be a multi color and have more than two pins which will make things a little more complicated.

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 22, 2016

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

CrashCat posted:

I've leveled up twice from using the Plus and hatched several eggs so I don't know what the hell they're smoking

And if anything that one Pokeball appears to catch more often than me flinging a single Great Ball myself at the same pissant Pidgey with the ring as small as I can manage

What level are you? I'm at 30, and it is definitely a way lower catch rate than actually tossing balls, even just 1st attempt smallest ring. From checking my journal, out of the last ~100 pogo throws I've caught 7 of them, out of a pool of almost exclusively 12 candy trash pals. It's still nice to get stops/egg distance, but I really wish you could set conditions on which balls are thrown, or pokemon that trigger a different color light so you could just catch them normally. This would have been great like 15 levels ago, now it's still handy but it definitely feels bad seeing all those red flashes.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Afgad posted:

Or, even better, test it.

I absolutely agree. I think there are some people that get really caught up on ridiculous theory spreadsheets, and treat those spreadsheets as fact instead of paying attention to their own gameplay experience.

Basically, fight a Wigglytuff or Clefable with Dazzling Gleam. The move hits like a truck, gets used a lot, and the slow casting time can really throw off dodging. And remember, if you're spamming dodge anticipating the ability, that means you're not attacking. When you're not attacking, that puts you at the disadvantage -- only the opponent can damage you and at best you'll just take reduced damage.

Here's a guide for movesets I posted on my Meetup: https://www.meetup.com/Santa-Rosa-Pokemon-GO-Meetup/pages/20935159/Choosing_Pokemon_Movesets%2C_Gym_Defense_vs_Offense/

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

foutre posted:

What level are you? I'm at 30, and it is definitely a way lower catch rate than actually tossing balls, even just 1st attempt smallest ring. From checking my journal, out of the last ~100 pogo throws I've caught 7 of them, out of a pool of almost exclusively 12 candy trash pals. It's still nice to get stops/egg distance, but I really wish you could set conditions on which balls are thrown, or pokemon that trigger a different color light so you could just catch them normally. This would have been great like 15 levels ago, now it's still handy but it definitely feels bad seeing all those red flashes.
Level 18, but I also live in trash haven where it's just pigeons, rats and other easy catch poo poo up to my eyeballs. I would love to be able to set my Great Balls as the pick though, I get a lot of flashes when I am doing stuff where I can't even look at the screen so I've just ended up throwing away a bunch of them to make room for the shittier ones.

But yeah you're not gonna make enough to even make a dent in the level 30 hell-grind I imagine :(

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

One last thing, for tanky pokemon, high IVs are more important in a defender than an attacker. So when you're evolving that perfect Pokemon, hope for a good defensive moveset.

I got lucky recently on two of my evolves:

With that last evolve, I feel like I beat Pokemon GO. However, I'm still looking for a Snorlax with Zen Headbutt and Body Slam, and I guess I need more dragon candies, so maybe not... :sigh:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Julio Cruz posted:

Evolved a 100% Dragonite with Dragon Breath/Dragon Pulse and a 91% Gyarados with Bite/Hydro Pump. Also hatch-evolved a 980CP Machamp which is going to be my Snorlax gym trainer. Today has been a Good Day.
What? How? I thought Gyarados couldn't learn hydro pump anymore

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Hazo posted:

What? How? I thought Gyarados couldn't learn hydro pump anymore

Can't learn Dragon Breath (fast) anymore

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Arkanomen posted:

Also take some brighter pictures as well. This should be an easy hack.

E: Give me as close a clear picture of the LED. It might be a multi color and have more than two pins which will make things a little more complicated.
Here's another teardown somebody did. The pics are brighter, though some seem washed out by the flash.

Also, it's definitely a multi-color LED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Dahbadu posted:

One last thing, for tanky pokemon, high IVs are more important in a defender than an attacker. So when you're evolving that perfect Pokemon, hope for a good defensive moveset.

I got lucky recently on two of my evolves:

With that last evolve, I feel like I beat Pokemon GO. However, I'm still looking for a Snorlax with Zen Headbutt and Body Slam, and I guess I need more dragon candies, so maybe not... :sigh:

Holy gently caress, 269 exeggute candies?

Where do you live where they spawn so frequently, that is Promise Land territory

• Locked thread