Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'd say she was a fine choice for the movie, looks great in the role.

And god drat, teagone, you're a force of nature.
I didn't think much of the little teasers but you managed to make it into something I'm genuinely interested in seeing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Teagone's trailer is good but 90% of that is the music because really what else are you going to use for a GITS trailer?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I wish they had cast a Japanese lead...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Teagone's trailer is good but 90% of that is the music because really what else are you going to use for a GITS trailer?

I'm willing to bet whoever made those short teases never saw the original. The trailer gave me goosebumps, but I don't know if that was a reaction to recognizing the music or if it was the trailer in general (music and visuals). I feel the music (and being familiar with the source material) gave me a context for the trailer that might not be otherwise apparent.

I'm interested if there's anyone in the thread who didn't see the original. Did the music work for you?

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 22, 2016

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

flosofl posted:

I'm willing to bet whoever made those short teases never saw the original.

I'm interested if there's anyone in the thread who didn't see the original. Did the music work for you?

I saw it but so long ago I'm not sure it counts. The effectiveness of the music is less about recognizability and more about it being unnerving in a novel way, i.e. not the usual high-pitched violins or not-so-subtle heartbeat percussion.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E94o7ONmR10

I'll watch that.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vegetable posted:

But also seriously Scarlett Johansson just looks way out of place in this movie. Another white girl might have done a better job but seems like they're running serious Japanese themes so it just looks whitewashed as gently caress. Talking as somebody who hasn't watched the original movie and didn't think this was that big a deal when it all kicked off.

So you don't think it's a bit egregious to take a character that is explicitly of colour and cast a white person in that role, considering the representational issues that are inherent in Hollywood?

I wouldn't be surprised if the movie tanks because of that.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Vagabundo posted:

So you don't think it's a bit egregious to take a character that is explicitly of colour and cast a white person in that role, considering the representational issues that are inherent in Hollywood?

Several of the Section 9 members in this movie adaptation aren't Asian. It's not just the main character. The thread for the movie had some leaked pictures like a month ago: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772289

"People writing and talking about it on the internet" also isn't representative of the movie-going audience.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 22, 2016

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

I'd be shocked, but I authentically appreciate your optimism.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vagabundo posted:

japanese people are white that's why characters in anime have white skin.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Looks pretty awesome, a familiar story but a great cast.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Whitewashed movies have a tendency of bombing, but they also have a tendency of being poo poo for reasons besides whitewashing, so if GiTS actually turns out to be good, who knows what'll happen? :shrug:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

I had and still have literally no idea what GITS is about. But Hollywood isn't entirely incapable of adapting Japanese franchises with some modicum of respect -- I'm thinking of Godzilla (2014).

Maybe I'm just jaded from the debate as an Asian person because nothing will change. They whitewashed a Marvel movie and it's gonna make like five hundred million bucks anyway. :shobon:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Vegetable posted:

I had and still have literally no idea what GITS is about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7n8eQDsVSQ

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Yeah, I'm gonna wait to make any judgments on Johansson until after seeing some actual bits of acting from her. And by that, I mean bits of dialog that convey some sense of character, not just staring and pointing a gun.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I hope they remember to make her not blink.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Teagone, you majestic son of a bitch, your trailer has made it to Nerdist.

http://nerdist.com/ghost-in-the-shell-fan-edit-teaser-is-beyond-perfect/

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I had and still have literally no idea what GITS is about. But Hollywood isn't entirely incapable of adapting Japanese franchises with some modicum of respect -- I'm thinking of Godzilla (2014).

Maybe I'm just jaded from the debate as an Asian person because nothing will change. They whitewashed a Marvel movie and it's gonna make like five hundred million bucks anyway. :shobon:

Sure, but Godzilla (and Edge of Tomorrow - is it still called that?) didn't cast white people as Asian characters. That's pretty much where the condemnation against GITS is coming from.

Also, GITS (orginally, at least) was basically a police procedural set in the future where people had the technology to augment themselves as semi-robotic entities.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Man I just got teagone's username

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ha yeah that's me last year. Just go by Tim Gonzalez at this point.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gonz posted:

Teagone, you majestic son of a bitch, your trailer has made it to Nerdist.

http://nerdist.com/ghost-in-the-shell-fan-edit-teaser-is-beyond-perfect/

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up. Retweeted them :cool:

Jenny Angel posted:

Man I just got teagone's username

kiimo posted:

Ha yeah that's me last year. Just go by Tim Gonzalez at this point.

:) It was my nickname in college. Which I found endearing because it's shorter to say Tim, but I think my friends thought teagone sounded cooler or something. Also I'm Filipino, so my surname ends with an S. I think that's why it does anyways, haha.

[edit] I always feel like a dick/asshat whenever I correct any misspelling of my last name, lmao.

teagone fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 23, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The main character in GITS is a robbit, a ghost in a shell :haw: she no longer has a race

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Zzulu posted:

The main character in GITS is a robbit, a ghost in a shell :haw: she no longer has a race
Human-like robots are only as post-racial as the society they inhabit.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Zzulu posted:

I pictured a robot hobbit after reading this. I laughed.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I mean most of the characters in Attack on Titan are "westerners" if I remember right and I don't think the Japanese live action cast a bunch of white people with a couple Asians. White washing is definitely a bad and hosed up thing but with anime I'm tempted to go whatever. Like, what race is "Bulma Briefs"??

Least they got Beat Takeshi, that's always a good sign

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
There is a recurring trend in a lot of Japanese media to feature super stylized versions of Western culture, usually drawing from ancient times. Attack on Titan as noted was one of those, but there are others.

That being said, it doesn't really apply in this case, but the thematic elements of GitS also transcend Japanese culture too.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
There's also an element of "Christ almighty, Asian actors have a hard enough time getting jobs even when we accept being typecast as karate masters and immigrants with funny accents, could you AT LEAST not take really interesting characters we loving CREATED who are EXPLICITLY JAPANESE and give them to super famous white people who are in no way hurting for employment opportunities?"

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I mean most of the characters in Attack on Titan are "westerners" if I remember right and I don't think the Japanese live action cast a bunch of white people with a couple Asians. White washing is definitely a bad and hosed up thing but with anime I'm tempted to go whatever.

Spergatory posted:

There's also an element of "Christ almighty, Asian actors have a hard enough time getting jobs even when we accept being typecast as karate masters and immigrants with funny accents, could you AT LEAST not take really interesting characters we loving CREATED who are EXPLICITLY JAPANESE and give them to super famous white people who are in no way hurting for employment opportunities?"

This is the real problem here. There's no white community in Japan who gets excluded from films "because it won't sell unless the lead is Japanese".

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Take August Wilson's Pulitzer & Tony award winning play, add Denzel Washington and Viola Davis ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2m6Jvp0bUw

Washington and Viola are both stepping back into the roles that won them Tony awards when they starred in the play's 2010 reprisal and Washington is also directing.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 27, 2016

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNpNwIJtpIs

Who am I to judge?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That was good. And the visuals are insane and I love it.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Take August Wilson's Pulitzer & Tony award winning play, add Denzel Washington and Viola Davis ...

Washington and Viola are both stepping back into the roles that won them Tony awards when they starred in the play's 2010 reprisal and Washington is also directing.

Got some serious Doubt vibes from that. It's gonna be so good.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk that looks good. I hate to use the term "tour de force" but it was like in that one trailer you could physically feel both of their performances.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Oh god its me, I am the one who guffawed at the Mr/Dr bit in the trailer.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BonoMan posted:

Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk that looks good. I hate to use the term "tour de force" but it was like in that one trailer you could physically feel both of their performances.

They were stepping into some goddamn gigantic shoes so they'd better force the hell out of de tour. :v:

Here's James Earl Jones earning his second Tony Award for Best Performance by a Leading Actor in the original 1987 Broadway run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_kGtQmvrVI
They also got Tonys for Best Play, Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Play and Best Direction, plus a Pulitzer.

The only reason it didn't get turned into a film before now was that the playwright August Wilson refused to let it be adapted until they attached an African American director to it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Wow.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Holy moly this is going to be good

LordPants posted:

I actually thought it was pretty funny too, don't worry.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LordPants posted:

Nope. I was right there with you.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

LordPants posted:

Mads Mikkelsen's delivery makes it. I laughed too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

teagone posted:

Mads Mikkelsen's delivery makes it. I laughed too.

Yeah it's great. If it was just a Mr/Dr joke that would be a bit tired... but the way it kind of keeps stacking on itself makes it funny.

• Locked thread