Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

wateroverfire posted:

What do you think he's saying here?

Let's assume calling in bomb threats is out. Is literally assaulting speakers and moderators out?

Yes.

quote:

How about no-platforming by entering an event venue and disrupting an event?

I don't agree with it, no, but I can't say for sure that Ddraig doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

TheImmigrant posted:

Okay. So what should be done?

People should be able to voice their complaints to those in the chain of giving him a platform, who should be empowered to cancel the engagement, as well as to engage with the complaints in a positive or negative direction. If the campus withdraws support, then the group that invited him to speak should be able to get a private venue with non-college funds if applicable unless it's somebody who doesn't skirt the line and does something like outright advocate violence, in which case the college would be within its rights to withdraw recognition from the group. That doesn't sound unreasonable to me at any step of the way, but there might be a loophole.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

xthetenth posted:

People should be able to voice their complaints to those in the chain of giving him a platform, who should be empowered to cancel the engagement, as well as to engage with the complaints in a positive or negative direction. If the campus withdraws support, then the group that invited him to speak should be able to get a private venue with non-college funds if applicable unless it's somebody who doesn't skirt the line and does something like outright advocate violence, in which case the college would be within its rights to withdraw recognition from the group. That doesn't sound unreasonable to me at any step of the way, but there might be a loophole.

Pretty sure this is already the case. The right to have your voice heard doesn't mean that you're going to get what you want.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

TheImmigrant posted:

Pretty sure this is already the case. The right to have your voice heard doesn't mean that you're going to get what you want.

I'm aware, don't think I've given any impression otherwise. I'm more worried about getting a system that tends towards good results then doing a check to see if there's any structural biases that can be remedied to improve things further than in somehow inexplicably expecting everything to turn out perfectly every time. And if opinions that aren't actively harmful that I disagree with get a fair hearing, and the ones I do agree with get a fair hearing, that's valuable for its own sake.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

xthetenth posted:

I'm aware, don't think I've given any impression otherwise. I'm more worried about getting a system that tends towards good results then doing a check to see if there's any structural biases that can be remedied to improve things further than in somehow inexplicably expecting everything to turn out perfectly every time. And if opinions that aren't actively harmful that I disagree with get a fair hearing, and the ones I do agree with get a fair hearing, that's valuable for its own sake.

Do you consider Milo speaking on campus at non-mandatory events to be a bad result? I don't, not any more than I consider Objectivist or Communist clubs being able to use campus facilities a bad result.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

SSNeoman posted:

I know you're worried about they tyranny of the majority, but I do not believe this applies to the current situation.
I'm not talking about a tyranny of the majority, it's tyranny of whoever can get more people than security can deal with. If you're saying that this is perfectly okay and security shouldn't be booting anyone for "protesting" then it's an even lower bar, then it only takes one person.

When I say that it's a hell of a concession to make, part of what I mean is that I hope you're okay with greenlighting the use of this tactic by anyone against anyone and that you're grasping how few people it actually takes.

Also, just so I'm clear: I would much rather have universities not invite someone at all than invite them and allow the event to be taken over.

SSNeoman posted:

You're assuming good faith on both sides of this issue. Like I agree with you, but that's not what's happening is it? Whenever a republican talks about abortion and birth control, they're not promoting family values, they're using dogwhistles to punish women for having sex.
Well let's see, most people that oppose abortion think birth control is fine, so maybe it's a bit more complicated than that? This is what I mean when I say "incessant rush to assume the worst possible motivations." People buy into political positions for different reasons, usually multiple at once, and the least-effective approach to talking them out of it is telling them that you know what they're really thinking, and that it's a collection of reductive buzzwords.

Assuming good faith should be the default on any widely-supported political position because, by definition, those positions have no shortage of sincere believers.

falcon2424 posted:

No one's calling for protestors to be arrested.
OK, I'll start then: If we're talking about "protesters" as in people that disrupt events, then they should be charged with disorderly conduct.

Who What Now posted:

Milo isn't a puppetmaster, he's a petty rear end in a top hat who tries (poorly) to hide his real views behind a thin facade of irony.
Oh he's definitely a "puppetmaster," even if he is a petty rear end in a top hat. He's always in character, everything he says is calculated for effect, and he's the finest example of someone exercising the "no such thing as bad publicity" mentality. He spent an hour on lesbians faking hate crimes recently. Why do that? It's not like he's even latching himself on to a hot issue, he's just spewing inflammatory garbage so he can be at the center of the shitstorm. It doesn't even matter if anyone actually believes it.

TheImmigrant posted:

So why, in spite of all the outrage and protests, do you think universities continue to host this guy?
You'd have to ask them, but I'd guess it's because a lot of universities don't really give a poo poo what their student organizations do with their activity fee money as long as it goes through the right channels.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
I don't know what the appeal of seeing Milo in purpose even is. It's like 4chan Live, where the guy goes out on stage, shouts memes for an hour, and causes some people to have gigantic meltdowns that are recorded and posted online. Yeah, it's a spectacle, but what's the point?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

woke wedding drone posted:

So, work all day, hate black people on facebook all night. "Save them," says blowfish, "save this white supremacist from consequences!
And yet, if Koch Industries was monitoring employees' facebook for "anti-Christian" statements and firing them for it, we'd be hearing nothing but clucking about how terrible they are and how the conservative thought bubble is real. Tell me, why is it only OK when people you agree with do it?

Trabisnikof posted:

It's almost as if you're purposefully ignoring my point that protesting against lovely speakers and retracting said shittty speakers because of protesters isn't inherently a bad thing.
Your point is facile because the word "lovely" (as a shorthand for speakers you disagree with) is doing all the work. If a university cancelled a pro-Palestinian speaker's lecture because of protests from the Campus Republicans, or because they couldn't guarantee security because the Campus Zionists vowed to occupy the stage in order to deny her a platform, would that be not a bad thing?

Secular Humanist posted:

Haha jesus christ... there is literally better discourse in GBS.
Especially now.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

OneEightHundred posted:

This is what I mean when I say "incessant rush to assume the worst possible motivations." People buy into political positions for different reasons, usually multiple at once, and the least-effective approach to talking them out of it is telling them that you know what they're really thinking, and that it's a collection of reductive buzzwords.

Exaaactly, which is exemplified perfectly in that Muslim feminist woman who was disinvited from goldsmith's. All the conservative Muslim student organization had to do was claim they felt "threatened" by her "Islamophobia", and that was enough for the campus feminist society to JOIN in their condemnation.... of a Muslim feminist. Because campaigning for women's rights in Muslim countries, AS a Muslim woman who has lived in said countries, is very Islamophobic, and she must hate Muslims and be trying to oppress them and not the exact opposite of that.

And I mean she sounds like a little old grandma when she talks. If people can do the necessary mental gymnastics to paint HER as a "white supremacist" or "racist" then Milo never stood a chance.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I don't know what the appeal of seeing Milo in purpose even is. It's like 4chan Live, where the guy goes out on stage, shouts memes for an hour, and causes some people to have gigantic meltdowns that are recorded and posted online. Yeah, it's a spectacle, but what's the point?
I figure it's got to be just pure in-group signaling, but I'd be curious what someone who goes to such a thing claims to take away from it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Secular Humanist posted:

And I mean she sounds like a little old grandma when she talks. If people can do the necessary mental gymnastics to paint HER as a "white supremacist" or "racist" then Milo never stood a chance.

Hey, what good points do you think Milo makes that we liberals are trying to silence because we can't admit it?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

twodot posted:

I figure it's got to be just pure in-group signaling, but I'd be curious what someone who goes to such a thing claims to take away from it.

Worst case? Justification.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I'd guess that some think he's funny, others go because they get a frisson of naughtiness from it, and certain masochists go to be outraged.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

often the spectacle is the point, especially if you're just looking for a big team rally. i mean that's what most political rallies are, same as concerts - a chance to be with a bunch of fellow thinkers in the flesh

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

twodot posted:

It's as if, beneath his insanely obvious vaneer of provocative trolling, he has real opinions that are based on empirical reality and objectivity and are at the very least worthy of honest consideration and not insanely arrogant blind puritanical condemnation. I know! It's wacko!

Who What Now posted:

Hey, what good points do you think Milo makes that we liberals are trying to silence because we can't admit it?

That the wage gap is an earnings gap and is grossly misrepresented, that not all black people view themselves as inherent victims of a white supremacist society, and that so-called "third wave" feminism is a hateful ideology completely removed from the original feminist principles of equality of opportunity and equality of access. I agree with these things. When he starts saying "human being" a lot and talking about all the black dudes he blows I kind of check out because I'm not interested in his theatrics.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Stop thinking this is a left-right issue. It's not. Milo is not a conservative intellectual, he's an vapid, arrogant little poo poo. Universities do permit, and benefit from, an environment of diverse intellectuals, ie- people committed to rational discussion. Both the pro-Palestine and pro-Israel crowds are capable of marshaling those kinds of speakers, so they obviously deserve a space. But the constant refrain here defending Milo is 'well he's just trying to get a rise' - if he's trying to get a rise, he's not saying anything of value, and should therefore never be granted the privilege of speaking in a prestigious institution, like a university.

Any fuckhead can 'get heard', you can go to a street corner and speak your mind. That's not what people like Milo want, as much as they say that is what they want. What they want, is to latch onto the legitimacy and respect of the higher education system, to grant their bigotry a wider audience and influence then it would otherwise have. It's an self-interested power play, and there's no reason that should ever be given to them. They do not deserve it, because they have not earned it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

And yet, if Koch Industries was monitoring employees' facebook for "anti-Christian" statements and firing them for it, we'd be hearing nothing but clucking about how terrible they are and how the conservative thought bubble is real. Tell me, why is it only OK when people you agree with do it?

Your point is facile because the word "lovely" (as a shorthand for speakers you disagree with) is doing all the work. If a university cancelled a pro-Palestinian speaker's lecture because of protests from the Campus Republicans, or because they couldn't guarantee security because the Campus Zionists vowed to occupy the stage in order to deny her a platform, would that be not a bad thing?
Especially now.

Religion is protected under employment law and we are discussing campus speech so your Koch example is a non sequitor

Conservative universities cancel speakers all the time. I can remember my conservative liberal arts school banning all pro-gay marriage speakers from all campus events and clubs for example. I disagree with that, not because I think universities shouldn't have that power to control speech on campus but because they were executing that power in conflict with my values.

I critique them not because they exercised their right to control speech on their campus but because of their reasons and the values underlying those reasons. All universities control speech on campus and saying students shouldn't contest that control when it conflicts with their values is an anti-speech position.

Also, I'm not defending threats of violence, so you can stop trying to pretend I am.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Secular Humanist posted:

That the wage gap is an earnings gap and is grossly misrepresented, that not all black people view themselves as inherent victims of a white supremacist society, and that so-called "third wave" feminism is a hateful ideology completely removed from the original feminist principles of equality of opportunity and equality of access. I agree with these things. When he starts saying "human being" a lot and talking about all the black dudes he blows I kind of check out because I'm not interested in his theatrics.

it's odd that there aren't that many people explaining these opinions without openly hateful language. huh

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Who What Now posted:

I suspect his point is that certain people, given the opportunity, would silence him. He wants to provoke those people into clear demonstration of that desire. I really don't know how this isn't obvious to everyone - it's not particularly sophisticated provocation, but it's very effective.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Secular Humanist posted:

It's as if, beneath his insanely obvious vaneer of provocative trolling, he has real opinions that are based on empirical reality and objectivity and are at the very least worthy of honest consideration and not insanely arrogant blind puritanical condemnation. I know! It's wacko!
It's theoretically possible he possesses real opinions worthy of consideration, but the things he says out loud in public aren't worthy of consideration. The time cube guy doesn't need to be heard regardless of how earnest he is.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Secular Humanist posted:

You're obviously interested in his theatrics, just the ones that appeal to you, since of those three points, two are pure opinion, of which the second is the only one that has any truth, in that a lot of black people do not consider themselves to be the victim of a society out to get them, this much is true, but the reality is that it is out to get them, which statistics and hard facts show.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"look, when he talks about how feminists are basically nazis he makes some good points but when he starts saying c*ck and fag it's just too much for me"

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

TheImmigrant posted:

I suspect his point is that certain people, given the opportunity, would silence him. He wants to provoke those people into clear demonstration of that desire. I really don't know how this isn't obvious to everyone - it's not particularly sophisticated provocation, but it's very effective.

That point is exactly as facile and disingenuous as the rest he makes, because if he manages to get people to want to stop giving him a platform for speech with no value all he's established is that people can be motivated to reduce the impact of speech with no value. And that in and of itself isn't a big point, it's like acting shocked that you can't try to create a stampede by shouting fire.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

So, work all day, post communist posts on facebook all night. "Save them," says blowfish, "save this leftist from consequences!!"

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Communism and racism are definitely comparable and are definitely going to impact somebody in the workplace the same way.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Secular Humanist posted:

All the conservative Muslim student organization had to do was claim they felt "threatened" by her "Islamophobia", and that was enough for the campus feminist society to JOIN in their condemnation.... of a Muslim feminist. Because campaigning for women's rights in Muslim countries, AS a Muslim woman who has lived in said countries, is very Islamophobic, and she must hate Muslims and be trying to oppress them and not the exact opposite of that.

Yeah, that attitude has always rubbed me the wrong way. Evidently a women's rights group was recently shut down on Twitter after they, as Saudi women, lobbyed for more freedom for women in their country. At least Twitter has the (bad) excuse that they're mandated to please their large Saudi investors. A university should by no means allow the silencing of voices in favor of the fair treatment of women just because they're frightened of a religious group making demands.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

xthetenth posted:

That point is exactly as facile and disingenuous as the rest he makes, because if he manages to get people to want to stop giving him a platform for speech with no value all he's established is that people can be motivated to reduce the impact of speech with no value. And that in and of itself isn't a big point, it's like acting shocked that you can't try to create a stampede by shouting fire.

The meta-point that he's making is important, and you shouldn't be comfortable with quashing speech based on such a subjective notion as 'no value' anyway.

The discomfort of the would-be silencers really is delicious. Milo is a sort of juvenile clown/picador type, thriving on the controversy you're giving him. To silence him would be like banning media coverage of the Kardashians. You'll be happier people when you learn to ignore things that offend you. Better yet, learn to stop wearing "PUSH ME" buttons on your foreheads, and chill the gently caress out. By working up your righteous churchlady steam and casting about to DO SOMETHING, you're doing exactly what he wants.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So people should simultaneously ignore him while at the same time providing him with platforms since to not do so is playing into his hands.

He truly is the master of puppets. He's operating 50 moves ahead at all times, which is neatly balanced out by being about 50 years behind the curve.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

TheImmigrant posted:

The meta-point that he's making is important, and you shouldn't be comfortable with quashing speech based on such a subjective notion as 'no value' anyway.

The discomfort of the would-be silencers really is delicious. Milo is a sort of juvenile clown/picador type, thriving on the controversy you're giving him. To silence him would be like banning media coverage of the Kardashians. You'll be happier people when you learn to ignore things that offend you. Better yet, learn to stop wearing "PUSH ME" buttons on your foreheads, and chill the gently caress out. By working up your righteous churchlady steam and casting about to DO SOMETHING, you're doing exactly what he wants.
What does quashing mean here? I'm super comfortable quashing him, any Kardashian, or the time cube guy in any venue I own or have a specific interest in on the basis that they have nothing of value for that venue. And you'll need an argument other than "an rear end in a top hat exists" to convince me otherwise.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
ah, the "im not touching you" gambit. profound

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TheImmigrant posted:

This argument also applies to the people who say students shouldn't protest because they don't consider it worth protesting.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

twodot posted:

any venue I own

Of course.

quote:

or have a specific interest in

You're really going to resist being specific on this, aren't you? I'll go way out on a limb and guess that it's much closer to "anywhere in the public or private sphere, at any time between now and the infinite future" than "any venue I own."

Trabisnikof posted:

This argument also applies to the people who say students shouldn't protest because they don't consider it worth protesting.

Who says this?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

TheImmigrant posted:

Who gives the thinnest sliver of a gently caress what he wants? Point out the many myriad flaws in his arguments, why some of the things he says cause harm, and let him wither in the intellectual tenement that is the alt-right. By allowing him a platform you give him an opportunity to cause conflict against people his supporters hate when instead he should be writing puff pieces to delay the moment when the dumb gently caress gators realize he's always held gamers in contempt and the dumb gently caress white nationalists and nazis remember he's a Jewish gay dude who brags about being in an interracial relationship.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

TheImmigrant posted:

You're really going to resist being specific on this, aren't you? I'll go way out on a limb and guess that it's much closer to "anywhere in the public or private sphere, at any time between now and the infinite future" than "any venue I own."
Aren't you the one that needs to be specific about when where and how we're supposed to "quash" things? As I'm familiar with the word anywhere I can legally and actually quash something, quashing it doesn't pose any obstacle to free expression.
Edit:
You claimed we shouldn't be comfortable quashing things, I pointed out a whole category of instances where we should be comfortable quashing things, it seems to me it's on you to explain where you think we shouldn't be comfortable quashing things.

twodot fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 22, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TheImmigrant posted:

Of course.

Who says this?

This person for one:

The Kingfish posted:

Protesting to stop a political speaker from being heard is bullshit no-effort activism and I hope that it isn't effective.

The Kingfish posted:

If the goal of the protest is to bar someone from speaking at a university event then I do not support that protest. There are many other reasons to protest.

The Kingfish posted:

Doing somethinganything to actually further the goals they feel the speaker opposes. Counter-speech protests get large turnouts because "protesting" that way is insanely easy to do.

And I think this post applies to that anti-protester logic too:

TheImmigrant posted:

Or to ftfy

TheImmigrant posted:

The discomfort of the would-be silencers really is delicious. College students protesting can often become a sort of juvenile clown/picador type, thriving on the controversy you're giving them. To silence them would be like banning media coverage of the Kardashians. You'll be happier people when you learn to ignore things that offend you. Better yet, learn to stop wearing "PUSH ME" buttons on your foreheads, and chill the gently caress out. By working up your righteous churchlady steam and casting about to DO SOMETHING, you're doing exactly what they want.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 22, 2016

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
given that Milos only real, consistent ideology involves stealing money from his sad, hosed up incel fanbase, he should probably be banned from campuses for the same reason that universities typically dont give speaking engagements to Herbalife salesmen

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

xthetenth posted:

Who gives the thinnest sliver of a gently caress what he wants? Point out the many myriad flaws in his arguments, why some of the things he says cause harm, and let him wither in the intellectual tenement that is the alt-right. By allowing him a platform you give him an opportunity to cause conflict against people his supporters hate when instead he should be writing puff pieces to delay the moment when the dumb gently caress gators realize he's always held gamers in contempt and the dumb gently caress white nationalists and nazis remember he's a Jewish gay dude who brags about being in an interracial relationship.

So, again, you are frightened by his words, so he must be silenced. I remember a day so long ago when a self professed Liberal would argue that all speech should be protected. Or, are you going to angrily post that you're a tankie, not a Liberal?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

gobbagool posted:

So, again, you are frightened by his words, so he must be silenced. I remember a day so long ago when a self professed Liberal would argue that all speech should be protected. Or, are you going to angrily post that you're a tankie, not a Liberal?

All speech should be protected from government censorship, not all consequences whatsoever.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Trabisnikof posted:

How does the argument apply to that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

So, work all day, organize labor on facebook all night. "Save them," says blowfish, "save this agitator from consequences!!"

• Locked thread