Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Verrry Nice! *in Borat voice* :newlol:

Makes me want another jazz.. The Fender Mexican Deluxe Active I have now was previously owned by a guy who used to play in Foxy Shazam, it was used on their first album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008

Willeh posted:

So I was going to the good music store the other day, not expecting to buy anything and I was just checking out the fender stock that they had in. Decided to go into a booth to noodle on one of the american standard jazz basses to check them out.

The cool sales guy I had talked to mentioned that they had a sale going on of some more expensive basses, but they were offering a pretty substantial discount. Long story short I picked up this baby for a full 25% off:

A '74 American Vintage Jazz. I knew when I played it that I had to have it, this thing is loving sex on wheels :flashfap:. Played it today at practice and it's everything I ever wanted in a bass :swoon:

That's awesome. Is that the one with the fat/thick neck? I got to play with one briefly (it had both the chrome covers) and it was a lot of fun. Shape was a lot more comfortable than descriptions or measurements should have implied.

I'm probably another 2-3 weeks out from having my MIJ jazz in presentable shape. I'm giving it the none-more-black treatment, and the last thing left is changing the tuning machines and the bridge. Decisions are about whether I want to spring for the de-tuner (bass xtender, whatever you want to call it) and if throwing the tapewounds is just going too far.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Jonithen posted:

That's awesome. Is that the one with the fat/thick neck? I got to play with one briefly (it had both the chrome covers) and it was a lot of fun. Shape was a lot more comfortable than descriptions or measurements should have implied.

I'm probably another 2-3 weeks out from having my MIJ jazz in presentable shape. I'm giving it the none-more-black treatment, and the last thing left is changing the tuning machines and the bridge. Decisions are about whether I want to spring for the de-tuner (bass xtender, whatever you want to call it) and if throwing the tapewounds is just going too far.

Yeah, it has the fat neck. Played it side by side with an american standard with the normal thin neck and it was fine. It had all the chrome stuff on it too and a thumb rest but I took that off.

All in all, it's an amazing thing that I just stumbled on randomly, more or less.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Jonithen posted:

I'm giving it the none-more-black treatment, and the last thing left is changing the tuning machines and the bridge. Decisions are about whether I want to spring for the de-tuner (bass xtender, whatever you want to call it) and if throwing the tapewounds is just going too far.

I briefly owned a j partsbass with all black hardware. Where I got hung up was strings. Tapewounds are just so limited, imo. Great on a fretless or acoustic, but just too dead for me to put on anything else.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I use tapes on my MM style bass, love them. Both my cabinets have full-range response, so I have plenty of brightness even with tapes. I think you'll be fine with tapes unless you really want roundwounds.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

I use tapes on a fretless and they sound fine. But it's an active bass so that might play into it :v:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Hey goons, I also just recently decided to dip my toes into the world of bass after diving hard into guitar over the last couple of years. I also wound up with an Ibanez SR300E, which owns, and while it's fun loving around with it in Rocksmith and through my 2i4, I'd like an actual amp for it as well. What's a generally good starter amp? I don't need a lot of volume or anything, so I'm considering one of the many 25W-ish 8" combos out there, like the Hartke HD25, Ampeg BA108, or Eden EC8. Is this a kind of decision I will greatly regret later? I mean, they're cheap enough (all around $100ish) that I can't see having that much buyers remorse if I somehow decide to upgrade to a monster head and cab later, so I'm really just wondering if anyone's got any experience with things in this size/price range and what those of you who do would recommend.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
You can probably find a similar 100w model used for a similar price, maybe a little bit more. If you want to upgrade later or ditch it, you can sell it for basically the same price that you paid. A used Fender Rumble 100 or Ampeg BA series or similar for $150 is a lot more amp, both in power and in usability, and will not depreciate as long as you don't destroy it. I've owned both, and I sold each for less than half of what I had to pay new. They're both good choices for what you are looking for.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I was going to recommend Craigslist as well. If OP really wants a small 25W cheap amp, those can be found for $25-50 used. If you do shop used, small amps like that, some offer a kickback/tilt design that will help you hear yourself.

If you're set on new and those are your options I'd go with the Ampeg. It has a pink power indicator.

I don't understand the controls on the Eden and the Hartke is probably fine.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Schpyder posted:

I also wound up with an Ibanez SR300E, which owns

:hfive: sup bass buddy. Be sure to post what you end up going with for an amp. I'm interested in one too and seeing as how you've been playing a fair bit longer than me I'm curious what you settle on.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Anyone with an Ampeg BA-115 care to weigh in on this? It's what I'm personally looking at.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Bought some Elixirs to go on the p-bass since the Sadowsky flats are gonna go on my JB kit when it's done.

I like these strings and it's nice having some brigher sounds available. I'll also be happy to have the flats back, but I can wait a month or so. Probably.

muike posted:

Anyone with an Ampeg BA-115 care to weigh in on this? It's what I'm personally looking at.

I liked the way they sounded but out of 3 that I played with when I was looking for amps, all 3 had some kind of irritating hum, crackle, or buzz that I didn't feel like dealing with. Not saying they're all like that, but if I'd found one that didn't do those things, I'd have bought it.

That said, I didn't particularly care for the onboard overdrive. That said, that's only my subjective opinion and I can't back it up with anything other than "didn't do it for me".

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

FeloniousDrunk posted:

How interested should I be in a non-squier jaguar bass, coming as a casual 6 guitar player? I put a bid on eBay, I thought I was low balling but now the days are playing out and I'm still the high bidder and I'm afraid a) I might end up with it, or b) this might be a great thing. Basically do I bid higher, or let it go. Basically basically what is a used jaguar bass worth.

... I won, so excited. Couple of weeks shipping, and I neglected the part where it said it was coming neck removed, so I get to learn mechanics first. I hope it's a fairly manageable procedure?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

If it's the original neck with the original body and nothing's wrong with either, it should be as simple as "place the neck in the pocket and screw these 4 screws in".

Personally, I'd clamp it in place and check for obvious bullshit (eg: not straight, action 2 inches high, etc) before screwing it in, but you can always unscrew it again if you need to. Just make sure it's in there flat and pressed down dolidly and not lifting up on one side or anything. It's physically easy to do, just a bit nerve-wracking the first time.

If it's a brand new neck or something you definitely want to check it's all lining up properly before drilling any holes or anything.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 26, 2016

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Sorry for the double post. I decided to try my hand at building a pedal from a plan from http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.ca/ I went with the Brown Dog gated fuzz because I've heard demos of the real thing on bass and liked the sound.

Apart from the last 2 months, I haven't touched a sodlering iron for 15+ years. After a lot of trial and error I got it all boxed up and working today. Doesn't quite[/]i sound like the real deal (I assume I've hosed something up somewhere), but it sounds [i]good enough for something that I managed to make myself for ~30 bucks.

Still figuring out what to do with the case. Obviously the pencil lines I used to drill the holes gotta go, but apart from that I think I might just leave it, or maybe get some letter punches or something. I'll try to get a sound demo uploaded somewhere in the next few days.

I also want an auto-wah or similar thing, so that might be the next pedal project.

e: Realised I didn't drill a hole for the power LED. Guess I'm taking it apart again tomorrow...

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Sep 26, 2016

Chimbley Sweep
Jul 21, 2006

haggisforthesoul's mortal frenemy

muike posted:

I don't own the 115 but I use the 110 as a practice/travel anp and I like it. Ampeg was doing demos of this year's amps at my work recently and the new BA-115 is really slick and sounds great. I do like the BA-210 a lot too and don't think it cost much more, but I also really enjoy 10"'s so maybe I'm biased.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Just ordered a Darkglass B7k. Can't wait for sweet Grindy bass. Now I need to find a suitable 5 string to tune stupid low so I can keep my 7 in standard. (Really want a dingwall but can never find them in stock online or anywhere)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
been reading talkbass here and there lately and it's exactly what, i, as a guitar player learning bass, expected a forum for bass guitarists to be. it's cool that they've sustained a large community tho

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Quick demo of the DIY fuzz I posted above: https://soundcloud.com/furtivedog/bass-test Pedal off then pedal on. 30 seconds of uninspired playing, but you get an idea what it sounds like.

It's bass > effect > amp out > cubase which I've never done before, but I guess it gives the raw signal with no processing or eq.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

AlphaDog posted:

If it's the original neck with the original body and nothing's wrong with either, it should be as simple as "place the neck in the pocket and screw these 4 screws in".

Personally, I'd clamp it in place and check for obvious bullshit (eg: not straight, action 2 inches high, etc) before screwing it in, but you can always unscrew it again if you need to. Just make sure it's in there flat and pressed down dolidly and not lifting up on one side or anything. It's physically easy to do, just a bit nerve-wracking the first time.

If it's a brand new neck or something you definitely want to check it's all lining up properly before drilling any holes or anything.

And then the guy messages me that he had to send it in a hard case because he didn't feel good about it "is that OK???"

Yeah I'm OK with that

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

muike posted:

been reading talkbass here and there lately and it's exactly what, i, as a guitar player learning bass, expected a forum for bass guitarists to be. it's cool that they've sustained a large community tho

I am just a single instrument guy, and TB is perfect for bassists' hugbox. I read it time to time as a twisted source of humor.

I was able to find another manufacturer for a 30yr old pre amp, right next to posts about tonewood aging for a $7000 bass.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Chimbley Sweep posted:

I don't own the 115 but I use the 110 as a practice/travel anp and I like it.
Same here. I'd like it better if it had a compressor, but it does have an effects loop, so I can pontificate about using a compressor there and not really get around to it.

Muike, earlier in this thread you were talking about being a bass player not a guitar player that plays bass.

A big inspiration to me was this dude with this opening band called Grooms that was playing a 34" 6-string bass, and he was flipping instantly between basslines, both fingerstyle and picked, and playing rhythm guitar up from the 12th fret. Granted, the dude was pretty loving big with massive hands, but I eventually want to get there on a 30" VI, and I'm a normal dude with normal hands.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That's definitely beyond my scope right now but is something that keeps me from falling back on old habits when learning a new instrument.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

muike posted:

Talkbass exist for one reason and that is for gawking at dadrock aesthetics

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

CheesyDog posted:

Talkbass exist for one reason and that is for gawking at dadrock aesthetics

:agreed:

The useful and knowledgeable experts left that place looooong ago. It used to be great for technical info. Now it's just a circle jerk and will likely resort to a fetishist site in a few years

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Scarf posted:

:agreed:

The useful and knowledgeable experts left that place looooong ago. It used to be great for technical info. Now it's just a circle jerk and will likely resort to a fetishist site in a few years

I find that if I am still looking for a very specific piece of info, it is usually one of the first results from a google search. Now I just search there. May be in an old thread, but usually there.

But forget having an account there. The combination of bass autism and circle-jerk is like an unholy marraige of the worst SA subforums. Hilarious but awful.

Funny to me when you are reading an old thread and see someone with a banned tag. How do you get banned from a site like TB?

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008
Seems like either trying to screw somebody on the buying/selling end, or blatantly antagonizing people will do it.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

rebounded posted:

Funny to me when you are reading an old thread and see someone with a banned tag. How do you get banned from a site like TB?

I got an mod warning there for making fun of this post:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
most of those acts probably dont even play slap bass

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

muike posted:

most of those acts probably dont even play slap bass

I use a pick just so I can make derogatory comments to myself about myself.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They've got a thread going on about metal basses right now and it's amazing. there's people posting about how much teen girls love paul mccartney and how attractive violin basses are to women

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

muike posted:

They've got a thread going on about metal basses right now and it's amazing. there's people posting about how much teen girls love paul mccartney and how attractive violin basses are to women

I won't lie. I thought about buying this:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

muike posted:

Why did i look for this

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Dude. Read it. It's amazing.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm the dancing just before the 2:00 mark https://youtu.be/9hRdJhcWO3s

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

rebounded posted:

I won't lie. I thought about buying this:

But is it good for grunge?

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

ewe2 posted:

But is it good for grunge?

I was thinking prog fusion, but needs 3 more strings.

e: I went to show the wife the pink bass to ask her if it got her "in the mood" but stumbled on this:

I'm pretty sure I need this. I had seen one of these done before with the black hardware on a good gunmetal/blue, similar finish to this. I don't know the word, not quite matte, more of a powdercoat?

Instead I pulled the trigger on a Sire v7 (same price!). Alder/rosewood. I am used to heavy-ish basses, thanks for fucks' sake.

pumped up for school fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 28, 2016

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Spotted this on the used market. G&L USA SB-2, La Bella Flats, one small "spider ding," $650
I'm half inclined to sell one or basses just to make room for this thing, what do you think?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I'd snag a USA G&L in a second for that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Sounds like a good deal.

In other new, I severely underestimated how big a 1x15 combo was going to be in practice and i guess it's time to rearrange my guitar rig