Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Bloodborne is dope as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RoadCrewWorker posted:

This is the part that always makes me laugh when someone comes in at DS1, plays another and then says "wow, 1 was super original and unique but this is just retreading the same templates, what the heck FROM??"

but now that 3 ends the cycle they can finally go back to rehash what we've all been waiting for...

Metal Wolf Chaos 2

Story-wise DS1 cribs super hard from King's Field 4 (which, if you're gonna play a KF game, is the one to go for) which is really weird if you go back and play it.

At the same time the Souls games are pretty distinct from From's prior games in a lot of ways. There's a lot they brought from KF and similar titles of course, but a lot that is wholly new.

Still, getting upset about "retreading" things is easily the dumbest opinion to have. See: everyone that bitches at even the most minor Solaire references in DS2/3.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Was pestilent mercury ever buffed to do more than tickle the enemy?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
None of the Souls games crib super hard from KF4. There's a fantasy world, a moonlight sword, a dragon called Seath, and a thing called The Darkness which is, get this, evil. Super huge influence there, man!

Also, if you play any KF game, play KF2 (the Japanese KF2, which is the American KF1). It's faster paced, simpler to pick up, and easier to understand the plot. It's also way uglier but what can you do. KF4 is a deliberate, self-conscious revival of the earlier games that has a lot of gratuitous references to them, so might as well start a little closer to the beginning.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Genocyber posted:

Still, getting upset about "retreading" things is easily the dumbest opinion to have. See: everyone that bitches at even the most minor Solaire references in DS2/3.

Getting upset about lazy retreading is a very valid complaint in all media, you have dumb opinions and can't even see it

References and throwbacks can be done well but DS3 reeks of creative bankruptcy, it apes DS1 waaaay too hard and doesn't even do it in a way that is cohesive to the lore or adds much (lol because time convoluted blah blah), though the lore behind aldricth does a great job of blending old with new in a way that isn't lazy. Sadly that's not the case for most of the rest of the game.

But yes if you look into the company's history, they have a "problem" with reusing motifs, ideas, themes, and even characters in a way that isn't creative, but just lazy. That's why DeS and DS felt so drat fresh, most of us had zero exposure to their work. But right out re-used NPCS, level ideas, bosses, and story lines really undermines the sense of mystery and the unknown that makes the first run through any of these games so good. It is also probably a symptom of their ridiculous output (that's what, like 5 huge, well-crafted games with solid metacritic scores in a span of 5 years, wtf)

That's why BB is my (probably) favorite. They all have their strengths though, I just started playing DS II all over again (for like the fourth time) and the PVP is SO. MUCH. loving. FUN. I'm wrecking shitlords with nothing but merchant's clothes, a trusty sword and some firebombs, and when i get hosed up I feel as if it's due to my own crappy stamina management/over-eagerness. It feels heavy, weighted, and dangerous, as combat between swords mens and axe mens should feel.

It's embarassing how bad pvp is for 3.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 22, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Novum posted:

You said it friendo. I just started yet another brand new playthrough this morning and it is as fresh as it ever has been. Plus I tore Gascoigne a new rear end in a top hat with the Threaded Cane which feels oh so good.

e: I absolutely can't imagine playing KF2 for the first time in 2016 though. That game has, uh, not aged well.

e2: I have a lot of fond memories of King's Field though.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 22, 2016

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
hell yeah, replaying these games is always fresh because you're now in "acrobat mode," where the goal is to clear areas and bosses that once gave you absolute hell in ways that are stylish and fancy, fully kitted out for fashion and looks of course

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I don't think there's any game in this series that is more like that for me than Bloodborne, considering how unbelievably hard Central Yharnam was for me on my first playthrough, and now I completely style on the entire area and both bosses.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

KingSlime posted:

Getting upset about lazy retreading is a very valid complaint in all media, you have dumb opinions and can't even see it

References and throwbacks can be done well but DS3 reeks of creative bankruptcy, it apes DS1 waaaay too hard and doesn't even do it in a way that is cohesive to the lore or adds much (lol because time convoluted blah blah), though the lore behind aldricth does a great job of blending old with new in a way that isn't lazy. Sadly that's not the case for most of the rest of the game.

But yes if you look into the company's history, they have a "problem" with reusing motifs, ideas, themes, and even characters in a way that isn't creative, but just lazy. That's why DeS and DS felt so drat fresh, most of us had zero exposure to their work. But right out re-used NPCS, level ideas, bosses, and story lines really undermines the sense of mystery and the unknown that makes the first run through any of these games so good. It is also probably a symptom of their ridiculous output (that's what, like 5 huge, well-crafted games with solid metacritic scores in a span of 5 years, wtf)

That's why BB is my (probably) favorite. They all have their strengths though, I just started playing DS II all over again (for like the fourth time) and the PVP is SO. MUCH. loving. FUN. I'm wrecking shitlords with nothing but merchant's clothes, a trusty sword and some firebombs, and when i get hosed up I feel as if it's due to my own crappy stamina management/over-eagerness. It feels heavy, weighted, and dangerous, as combat between swords mens and axe mens should feel.

It's embarassing how bad pvp is for 3.

Yeah, no.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Novum posted:

Can't wait for the PC port. In fact, I'm not going to.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
trust me dude i am a Real Souls Fan unlike you and it hurts my Soul(get it?) to see patches in every god drat game

Gilligan was fresh and new and hes basically on top of the ladder in terms of fresh npcs, argument over

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 22, 2016

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KingSlime posted:

trust me dude i am a Real Souls Fan unlike you

This isn't the football thread

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

DS3 was my first and only Souls game. I just beat it pretty drat thoroughly but want more. What do I do now?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

rap music posted:

DS3 was my first and only Souls game. I just beat it pretty drat thoroughly but want more. What do I do now?

Wait patiently for the prequels.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

KingSlime posted:

trust me dude i am a Real Souls Fan unlike you and it hurts my Soul(get it?)
Please source your awful quotes, thanks

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

rap music posted:

go out and hunt some beasts, it's what hunters do

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

rap music posted:

Play Bloodborne

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

KingSlime posted:

hell yeah, replaying these games is always fresh because you're now in "acrobat mode," where the goal is to clear areas and bosses that once gave you absolute hell in ways that are stylish and fancy, fully kitted out for fashion and looks of course

I started a new DS2 character after sotfs came out, and breaking old iron king on the first try after dying like eleven times to him on my previous char was downright cathartic.

Sakurazuka posted:

Play Bloodborne

Also this.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Have you considered one of the ten billion indie games that are the Dark Souls of whatever?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

RBA Starblade posted:

Have you considered one of the ten billion indie games that are the Dark Souls of whatever?

How many of these games actually exist? The only one I can think of is Salt and Sanctuary, which is absolutely a decent game.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

You said it friendo. I just started yet another brand new playthrough this morning and it is as fresh as it ever has been. Plus I tore Gascoigne a new rear end in a top hat with the Threaded Cane which feels oh so good.

e: I absolutely can't imagine playing KF2 for the first time in 2016 though. That game has, uh, not aged well.

e2: I have a lot of fond memories of King's Field though.

I wouldn't say KF is a pretty game but compared to what other first person RPGs were doing at the time, it's insanely easy to just pick up and play. And get your poo poo kicked in by the first enemies you meet, but hey it was the 90s. I'll even say that its cheap rear end super minimal graphics are at times evocative and a good use of resources. The starting night beach zone with the little fireballs floating around is a beautiful idea, despite the implementation being clunky as gently caress even for its day. I think KF2 has aged a lot better than KF3 for example: it mostly limits itself to dank tunnels, dirty caves, and dark seasides on a lovely cursed island in the middle of nowhere. KF3's big open overworld with a draw distance of fifteen feet is a lot harder to get used to from where I'm standing.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

lords of the fallen is the dark souls of dark souls clones and necropolis is the dark souls of unfinished lackluster roguelites

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RyokoTK posted:

How many of these games actually exist? The only one I can think of is Salt and Sanctuary, which is absolutely a decent game.

I mean the ones that call themselves that. :v:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Had my most fun invasion ever last night. I was low level purplebro invading in the Cathedral rafters, stalking people with the silvercat and obscuring rings. I noticed that the host and his white phantom were on the Cathedral floor so I dropped down to the area outside Rosaria's room. I walked out to the ledge and watched them; they had no way of seeing me since the height prevented them from getting close enough to see through my obscuring ring.

They seemed to be running around at random, probably trying to figure the level out. I thought about dropping down to floor level and stalking them from there but decided to stay where I was and continue watching them. Eventually they came back in my direction and their path was going to take them directly under me. I perfectly timed a plunging attack and killed the phantom. The host backpedalled hard away from me but I was already fading out with my shackle.

I thought about what that must have looked like from their end, given my obscuring ring. They would have just seen a raving demon suddenly materialize out of thin air five feet above their heads. No time for them to react before the phantom was dead. Thank God I remembered to take a recording of that.

I actually felt bad for the first time during a different invasion last night. I found the host and a white phantom desperately trying to push through the fog wall that appeared in front of Rosaria's room the moment I invaded. I noticed why they were so desperate to get in: the host was down to a sliver of health and was apparently out of estus. I felt sorry for them having made it so far through the level only to be stopped by some random rear end in a top hat within sight of the next bonfire but I needed my shackle! I dropped the I'm Sorry carving after killing the host. Feels bad, man.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I mean the ones that call themselves that. :v:

I think pretty much every game that calls itself "the Dark Souls of X" or otherwise cites it as a major influence, is not very Souls-like at all. Hell, Shovel Knight has more in common with the Soulsborne games than most games that cite it as an influence, in terms of some general design sensibilities. Of the ones that have been released, I think only DarkMaus and Salt and Sanctuary fit the bill, and even then Salt and Sanctuary is the only one to actually try and be its own thing rather than a carbon copy.

Eitr looks like it might be another good one whenever it actually ends up releasing, though.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I didn't play SnS but wasn't it heavily critized for how much it imitated DS in several aspects?

EIther way I need to get around to playing that one, I hear as far as "souls-like" go it's not a bad option.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Salt has a few problems, most of them being bullshit platforming, lovely boss run-ups, and (imo) terrible inventory.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fromsoft really likes, as a general concept, magical kings that done hosed up.
King's Field, Shadow Tower, Lost Kingdom, Evergrace, Dark Souls.

Im not at all interested in the lore of Armored Core (beyond crazy mech fights) but I wouldnt be surprised to see that sort of thing in them too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Did they ever add a map to S&S?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

KingSlime posted:

I didn't play SnS but wasn't it heavily critized for how much it imitated DS in several aspects?

EIther way I need to get around to playing that one, I hear as far as "souls-like" go it's not a bad option.

Not really. Maybe some idiots did but if anything it evokes the metroidvania Castlevania games more than any Souls title, even if the Soulsborne games were a larger direct influence. The only especially Souls-like things in the game would be an emphasis on stamina management (which isn't even unique to Souls), the overall art aesthetic of the game (and even then only partly; it's a lot more grungy than Souls will ever be), and a few minor touches here and there like lore-filled item descriptions.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
"Dark Souls of" is a joke prefix/shorthand for anything that shares even the most abstract technical, mechanical or aesthetical similarity with any part of any souls game. In the rare sad case that the person saying it is actually saying it earnestly you have absolutely no idea which specific aspect they implicitly mean.

And when PR/Devs seriously call their game "the dark souls of" that's usually a hilariously big red flag

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Bogart posted:

Salt has a few problems, most of them being bullshit platforming, lovely boss run-ups, and (imo) terrible inventory.

Also it apparently doesn't do cloud saves, because I uninstalled it, came back to it, and I have to start all over again!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Genocyber posted:

Not really. Maybe some idiots did but if anything it evokes the metroidvania Castlevania games more than any Souls title, even if the Soulsborne games were a larger direct influence. The only especially Souls-like things in the game would be an emphasis on stamina management (which isn't even unique to Souls), the overall art aesthetic of the game (and even then only partly; it's a lot more grungy than Souls will ever be), and a few minor touches here and there like lore-filled item descriptions.

I'd probably say it's 50/50 Castlevania and Dark Souls. In addition to what you mentioned, the game also has mechanics that are 100% functionally identical to bonfires, Estus, and souls/soul items. When combined with how it handles stamina management and superficial stuff like lore through item descriptions, it's obvious that Dark Souls mechanics were deliberately lifted for SnS. In a good way, I mean; it's a fine game that transliterates DS mechanics into Castlevania pretty well, and actually where I think the game falters is not being a very good Castlevania game -- not having a map is absolutely miserable even though it's a non-issue in actual Dark Souls. It's totally worth $15 or whatever I paid for it though.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
So you're saying I should have a map open on my second screen if I do decide to dig in?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

KingSlime posted:

So you're saying I should have a map open on my second screen if I do decide to dig in?

I never felt the need for a map but if you're bad at mentally mapping 2D spaces that's probably a good idea. There's an official map released by the devs of the gameworld that's lacking details, as well as a version with the names of the areas edited in which makes it easy knowing the general direction you're going in. Won't help if you're trying to find a particular room in an area but I don't think anyone's made super detailed maps of the areas.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7DmFUU1Ino

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The real problem with DS3 PvP is that they patched this out

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the new armored core game should be a direct sequel to bloodborne where you punch cthulhu in the face in your giant robot and stomp all over yharnam

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Oh god I forgot the whole "Dark Souls 1 is pretty bad without fixing poo poo" thing with DS1. Where's that fix stuff that's needed for the steam version? Also there any reason not to play at 60FPS? And does DS2 work a lot better out of the box, assuming I got the newer version on Steam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you want dsfix and the only reason not to run at 60 is that it messes with some physics stuff. some jumps are basically impossible at 60

ds2 had a really really good pc port, you don't need anything to run it