Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Where da SimTower and SimFarm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

IF GOG fixed any of the weird bugs in The Saboteur I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Kind of doubt it though.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
SOOOORRY JULES *hits ground after jumping off Eiffel Tower.

The Saboteur was a pretty fun game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fantastic game, but this looks like yet another platform where the time trial DLC isn't included in any way.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Win95 VM never crossed my mind, because seriously.....Who still has Win95 discs?

:filez: would be my assumption. Win95 has got to be beyond abandonware by now.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Lord Lambeth posted:

IF GOG fixed any of the weird bugs in The Saboteur I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Kind of doubt it though.

Initial impressions are they fixed the weird bugs but that's just some mod on the forum saying "yeah we fixed them" so I'd wait until actual impressions happen.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

the saboteur is fantastic, I beat it about a year ago and it's one of my favorite one of those games ever

any time i play something like uncharted or rear end creed I think "wow this would be awesome if it were the saboteur"

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I'm glad that EA put Spore on GOG if only because the original version used a lovely SecuROM DRM solution with a limited number of activations assigned to it. Every time you installed it used an activation unless you remembered to deauthorize them.

Having a DRM-free option for it is nice, regardless of one's opinion of the game itself.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Does Mirror's Edge have a way to play the time trial maps? I love the game but for the price they're asking if it doesn't come with the dlc, why bother?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

havenwaters posted:

Initial impressions are they fixed the weird bugs but that's just some mod on the forum saying "yeah we fixed them" so I'd wait until actual impressions happen.
They fixed the map bug for sure.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I just realized that not only is The Saboteur not backwards compatible on the Xbone, it's not even available digitally on the Xbox at all. So it might be time to get GOG Galaxy on my HTPC finally because holy poo poo is it a great game.

I played it all the way through including about 80% ambient completion on a week where I was on painkillers and recovering from major surgery. My wife eventually made me shut off the soundtrack completely because she was so sick of it.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Peas and Rice posted:

I played it all the way through including about 80% ambient completion on a week where I was on painkillers and recovering from major surgery.
I picked it up. DRM free, (reports of) fixed bugs, and considering I am heading into a similar situation in a few weeks, I thought what the hell.

Edit: The game would not launch at all. No error message, no popups, no logs. Just nothing happened.
Turns out that it does not like more than 4 cores on the CPU, and mine has 6.
Setting the process CPU affinity from within Windows to use 4 (or less) cores did not work.
Setting compatibility mode did not help.
The solution / workaround was to disable two cores from the BIOS. It also seems not to be affected my H/T being enabled or disabled.

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 23, 2016

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
It also won't run with an ATI card so if you're stuck with one of those then don't bother.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Thompsons posted:

It also won't run with an ATI card so if you're stuck with one of those then don't bother.

How do you mean "won't run"? I have an AMD HD7950 and it seems to be running ok so far (after overcoming the cores issue). Latest drivers, Windows 10 x64.
Is this a problem with the old ATI cards, then?

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Right, I should say older ones, I'm stuck with a 5450 which it won't play ball with.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

AbstractNapper posted:

I picked it up. DRM free, (reports of) fixed bugs, and considering I am heading into a similar situation in a few weeks, I thought what the hell.

Edit: The game would not launch at all. No error message, no popups, no logs. Just nothing happened.
Turns out that it does not like more than 4 cores on the CPU, and mine has 6.
Setting the process CPU affinity from within Windows to use 4 (or less) cores did not work.
Setting compatibility mode did not help.
The solution / workaround was to disable two cores from the BIOS. It also seems not to be affected my H/T being enabled or disabled.

I just now played the game for about 15 minutes with no issues at all and my CPU also has 6 cores. I don't think the problem is exclusively related to the number of cores.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

obese retard posted:

I just now played the game for about 15 minutes with no issues at all and my CPU also has 6 cores.
if I may ask, what is your CPU ?
Mine is a core i7 5930k.
There are at least two threads alreday mentioning this on GOG forums
https://www.gog.com/forum/the_saboteur/does_this_version_fix_the_4_core_issue
https://www.gog.com/forum/the_saboteur/game_does_not_start_at_all
And Google gives more results for the original (Origin) version of the game, too.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

AbstractNapper posted:

if I may ask, what is your CPU ?
FX-6300

Someone in the first thread that you posted mentioned that it worked fine on their FX-6350. Everyone else that's having problems seem to be running Intel processors.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

obese retard posted:

FX-6300

Someone in the first thread that you posted mentioned that it worked fine on their FX-6350. Everyone else that's having problems seem to be running Intel processors.

This is weird.I could have sworn I'd read about AMD's processors too but maybe I misread that post that you refer to. It could be because afaik AMD's multicore processor architecture is typically different than Intel's -- I'm reading that FX-6300 is 6-core, by which AMD means 3 modules with 6 integer cores and 3 floating point units. So maybe the game has an issue with more than 4 FPUs, then.... It'd be strange if they only fixed the issue for AMD processors, since it is mentioned as a general known issue in the 1.03 beta patch for the game (released in 2009), which supposedly addressed the issues with ATI cards

quote:

Known Issues & Current Workaround:

Users with Quad core CPU's will possibly have significant streaming issues without the following work around. The team is aware of this issue and is working on a fix for it in the next patch update. If you are running a Quad Core CPU please follow the steps below to set Game Only affinity on your CPU. While this will decrease the amount of streaming glitches, it is not a full proof fix.

http://www.overclock.net/t/630759/ea-the-saboteur-version-1-03-beta-patch

Also, weird... in the above quote they were suggesting setting the affinity to only 2 CPUs. So maybe this was then patched to support up to 4? Or 2 was the safest bet due to hyperthreading or some such...

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

macnbc posted:

I'm glad that EA put Spore on GOG if only because the original version used a lovely SecuROM DRM solution with a limited number of activations assigned to it. Every time you installed it used an activation unless you remembered to deauthorize them.

Having a DRM-free option for it is nice, regardless of one's opinion of the game itself.

EA is kind of weirding me out lately. I just paid $5 on Origin to get full access to a load of games they're still charging full price for, people are posting links to free downloads of BF42, BF2, and 2142 for repopulatings on official game forums without problems, and they're putting stuff on GoG, some of it as new as Dragon Age: Origins . I'm kind of waiting for Andrew Wilson to show up at my door with Black Ops agents and some kind of syrum injector.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Plan Z posted:

they're putting stuff on GoG, some of it as new as Dragon Age: Origins

I don't think 7 years old is particularly "new" any more.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

macnbc posted:

I don't think 7 years old is particularly "new" any more.

I meant it's surprising to me for EA to do it for such a (relatively) new game.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
A number of new games hit GOG Connect this morning. By the looks of it, we'll have 6 days to claim. I figured a screen shot would be quicker:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Thanks for the heads-up.

What a mess it was to log onto the site, though. They added like three CAPTCHA verifications. What the hell.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Thanks for the heads-up.

What a mess it was to log onto the site, though. They added like three CAPTCHA verifications. What the hell.

For doing what? I usually use Galaxy but last time I logged in it didn't ask for anything more and adding the steam games involved hitting the refresh button as it remembered me from last time.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Just for trying to log onto the site, not the GOG Connect part. Had one of those "not a robot" checkboxes and then it forced me to go through three screens of "pick the pictures with road signs" and whatnot. Bloody annoying.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

That sure is something a robot would say.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Does not compute. The annoyance of CAPTCHA verifications are a problematic waste of time for all of us, fellow human.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Just for trying to log onto the site, not the GOG Connect part. Had one of those "not a robot" checkboxes and then it forced me to go through three screens of "pick the pictures with road signs" and whatnot. Bloody annoying.

It only makes you go through a second lot of pictures if you screw up on the first one, so I guess you failed to identify US road signs twice in a row.

That CAPTCHA system is such loving garbage.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Posting in the GOG forums is not fun either. You have to write your message in a new popup window (!), you can't get a message preview, there are limited formatting options, and if you screw a quote tag and submit it, then the whole thing gets stuck forever "processing" your message (it won't ever post it nor indicate what went wrong).

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Man, the saboteur is really fun.
How does the connect stuff work? If you have the game on gog or steam you can get it on the other platform?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

ilmucche posted:

Man, the saboteur is really fun.
How does the connect stuff work? If you have the game on gog or steam you can get it on the other platform?
It's just one-way: if you have it on Steam, once in a while the dev will let you get it for free on GOG for a limited time, and you have to actively claim it for your account within that limited time.

These opportunities are not really publicized that I can tell, hence why I take it upon myself to post in this thread when they happen on rare occasion.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

AbstractNapper posted:

Posting in the GOG forums is not fun either. You have to write your message in a new popup window (!), you can't get a message preview, there are limited formatting options, and if you screw a quote tag and submit it, then the whole thing gets stuck forever "processing" your message (it won't ever post it nor indicate what went wrong).

They're reworking the forums now. Should be done sometime early 2017. It took them a long time to get it in gear. We were complaining about them in 2008.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sales don't get the attention they used to these days, but it's a dang fire sale on Interplay games, 59-99 cents each.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

doctorfrog posted:

Sales don't get the attention they used to these days, but it's a dang fire sale on Interplay games, 59-99 cents each.

Also worth noting Interplay is planning to sell off a lot of their IP, so there's no guarantee their games will remain on GOG. This is a good chance to stock up while you can.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I just wanted to recommend both Codename: Panzer games. The first two are on GOG with the third and much more modern game on Steam. They are one of the few PC games for which I still have the physical media, and they finally went on sale from when the debuted at $15 each, which is bloody ridiculous.

Point being is that they are fun WW2 RTS games that have aged well and are very much worth $3.75 a pop.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Kenny Logins posted:

A number of new games hit GOG Connect this morning. By the looks of it, we'll have 6 days to claim. I figured a screen shot would be quicker:

Thanks, I never realized the offers to add games from Steam were time limited.

This is a great sale out of nowhere.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

How's Obduction when it comes to bullshit and keeping pen and paper handy?

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Weird, GOG Connect recognized Ziggurat from my Steam library but not The Last Federation, wonder what that's about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
How are the Star Trek games? Any specially terrible title to avoid? I'll settle with average at best at this price.