Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Is this walkout a thing or is just baseless speculation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Oiled and Ready posted:

Yeah but cam newtons babyman actions are about him being a sore loser with thin skin, afaik he hasnt done anything related to any of this stuff besides "be black, be disliked by racists"

So if cam were white he'd be Donald trump

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Sinteres posted:

I wonder whose justice department would be more likely to try to prevent people from dying in the streets. Protest is 100% about optics, so playing the "lol optics" card is silly.

that's :thejoke: wrt to being concerned about optics

im arguing/mocking for priorities

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Schnorkles posted:

https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/779033209032019969

Colorado is a bit close, but not unexpected with how Q has been polling all cycle.

I like as many Walker eating supposed BBQ with gloves on as the next guy, but how the hell is Iowa deciding national candidates again? Its completely ridicilous that it has any clout at all.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

HappyHippo posted:

Speculation, mostly, I believe. There's been some questions about the security at the game and whether or not to hold it or move it. I haven't heard anything about the team protesting or anything.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

STAC Goat posted:

I think treating Trump as a conventional Republican only goes to the "solidifying the base" argument, which I think is kind of a distraction. Republican turnout will be important for Trump but most of that 45% was always going to vote for Trump no matter what they said six months ago. I think the bigger roadblock for Hillary is Democratic turnout and left leaning independents, and if she was running against someone like Pence or Cruz there probably wouldn't be these idiots like Jimmy Dore saying things like "its better if we let Trump destroy the Republican party and then have a revolution in four years!" Because the Pence/Cruz Republicanism would be more defined and in line with the party so the "us vs them" would be more clear.

But like, I'm no expert. That's just my random rear end in a top hat on the internet opinion.

I don't know about that but I do think that Clinton has to turn out more of these Johnson + Stein holdouts, since she characteristically fares better in the head-to-heads. How she will alter her messaging is anybody's guess but all this prior outreach to so-called "rational" Republicans is kind of a joke, they're going to fall in line and vote R regardless.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Shageletic posted:

I like as many Walker eating supposed BBQ with gloves on as the next guy, but how the hell is Iowa deciding national candidates again? Its completely ridicilous that it has any clout at all.

Because our electoral system, much like our governmental system, has a real loving problem in clinging to bullshit because ~tradition.~

Same reason some stupid loving patch of nowhere in New Hampshire has the media invading a town of like 12 people and they have everyone in town up at midnight to be the first to vote every election.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 22, 2016

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Speculation, mostly, I believe. There's been some questions about the security at the game and whether or not to hold it or move it. I haven't heard anything about the team protesting or anything.

I saw something about moving the game but the team walking out seems unlikely

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Fullhouse posted:

not only this, they play in Charlotte

and also have a successful and handsome black quarterback who was the subject of an absurd amount of racist concern trolling last year over incredibly petty poo poo

because quarterbacking is a white man's role, you see

i don't pay much attention to football, but this was a cool piece on black qbs i read a while back

https://thinkprogress.org/then-and-now-cam-newton-and-the-ongoing-plight-of-the-black-quarterback-c04802c34c1b#.19bksfgon

Oiled and Ready posted:

It's a dogwhistle that actually means "democrat president and democrat congressional majority", there is no such thing as a discussion as a nation, merely laws that will satisfy the type of people who say "we need to have a dialogue in this country about x"

actually, no it literally means being able to talk about it in public, on the news, etc without having to deal with dumbasses talking about ALL LIVES MATTER on national goddamn television

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

HappyHippo posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/09/22/panthers-monitoring-charlotte-protests-ahead-of-sundays-game/

who knows :shrug:

would be great if they did tho

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

iospace posted:

He has a non-0 amount of black support right now, usually anywhere from 5-8%.

Speaking of Iowa:
https://twitter.com/darrensands/status/779029564722966528

Like all black people willing to sell out their own people for a quick people, deep down he thinks he's really white.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I don't know about that but I do think that Clinton has to turn out more of these Johnson + Stein holdouts, since she characteristically fares better in the head-to-heads. How she will alter her messaging is anybody's guess but all this prior outreach to so-called "rational" Republicans is kind of a joke, they're going to fall in line and vote R regardless.

Third party polling is always massively higher than actual turnout, so I think this is not actually going to be a big problem.

I also expect her numbers to go up after the debates and generally just as the election draws closer. It's all still abstract for a lot of people.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Epic High Five posted:

Mizzou did this last year. A literal fecal swastika broke the metaphorical camel's back and the football team refused to play until the current extremely condoning of racist attacks on black students administration was gutted.

They emphatically won because it's the south and you can't not have FOOTBAW

But it left a bad taste in people's mouth I expect, which is probably why Kaep is getting screamed from the rafters but Phelps (who was joking around and giggling during the anthem at the Olympics) is totally ignored. Well, one of the reasons. All of this is also why it's spreading like wildfire. Our own local WNBA team all took a knee during the anthem in solidarity recently, I haven't checked the comments yet but I'm sure they're golden

Black people are finally finding out that their bargaining chip card against casual/soft racists is football.

It doesn't work against hardcore/alt-right racists though because they either don't watch sports or only watch hockey.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I think treating Trump as a conventional Republican only goes to the "solidifying the base" argument, which I think is kind of a distraction. Republican turnout will be important for Trump but most of that 45% was always going to vote for Trump no matter what they said six months ago. I think the bigger roadblock for Hillary is Democratic turnout and left leaning independents, and if she was running against someone like Pence or Cruz there probably wouldn't be these idiots like Jimmy Dore saying things like "its better if we let Trump destroy the Republican party and then have a revolution in four years!" Because the Pence/Cruz Republicanism would be more defined and in line with the party so the "us vs them" would be more clear.

But like, I'm no expert. That's just my random rear end in a top hat on the internet opinion.

Oh those left-leaning Jimmy Dore idiots would be there no matter what, because their whole identity is wrapped up in being kooky and extreme and emphatic instead of knowing what the gently caress is going on.

No party tries to appeal to them because they're worthless and toxic as gently caress. The best you can do is to dunk on them so hard that they stop using their platform to do damage, which is what Seder tried to do. Thiel would be a fine SCOTUS judge? Gaddafi did nothing wrong? absolutely! Whatever needs to be said to keep their crusader complex going

White Grievance Politics isn't just a conservative thing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fullhouse posted:

not only this, they play in Charlotte

and also have a successful and handsome black quarterback who was the subject of an absurd amount of racist concern trolling last year over incredibly petty poo poo

because quarterbacking is a white man's role, you see

Yeah racists having problems with black QBs isn't new but Cam Newton really gets under their skin because he has fun while also being a good QB.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

HappyHippo posted:

i'm just speculating, but yes there is concern about safety at the game

michael jordan is now out with some solidarity via the hornets
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/09/22...ef:nbcnews:text

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Epic High Five posted:

Oh those left-leaning Jimmy Dore idiots would be there no matter what, because their whole identity is wrapped up in being kooky and extreme and emphatic instead of knowing what the gently caress is going on.

No party tries to appeal to them because they're worthless and toxic as gently caress. The best you can do is to dunk on them so hard that they stop using their platform to do damage, which is what Seder tried to do. Thiel would be a fine SCOTUS judge? Gaddafi did nothing wrong? absolutely! Whatever needs to be said to keep their crusader complex going

White Grievance Politics isn't just a conservative thing.

You had me up until "white grievance politics." What?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

where's the part about the players walking out?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Remember when Beyonce performed for Barack and Michelle's first dance as President/First Lady?

Who do we all recommend perform for Donald and Melania if they have a first dance?

I recommend Killing Joke.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

STAC Goat posted:

I think treating Trump as a conventional Republican only goes to the "solidifying the base" argument, which I think is kind of a distraction.

this is the part that I think you're wrong about. being treated as a conventional republican matters for basically the whole swath of voters who might consider voting republican. it makes the difference between "trump did this, that's really shocking, even if you feel like supporting a republican you can't support him" and whatever he does being lumped into "the republicans and the democrats are at it again!"

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lastgirl posted:

that's :thejoke: wrt to being concerned about optics

im arguing/mocking for priorities

I think we're all so sick of the election that it stops registering how much more important it is than anything else just because it will have a massive impact on everything else. Trump wants stop and frisk for the whole country, which would definitely lead to worse relations between police and the black community, and presumably more bodies in the streets. Making things better is of course important, but preventing them from getting worse is important too. Democrats have objectively hemorrhaged white voters over the last seven years, and white people are still the vast majority of the electorate. Maybe it's stupid to worry about a walkout being the deciding factor in the election, but I think the net effect of BLM has pretty clearly been to make Donald Trump more likely to be President (even if it's just because tons of whites were always closet racists). It's a worthwhile cause, but it's obviously also been a deliberately confrontational and divisive one at times as well.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 22, 2016

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Shageletic posted:

Like all black people willing to sell out their own people for a quick people, deep down he thinks he's really white.

Steve King is white.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Floptics

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

WampaLord posted:

I also expect her numbers to go up after the debates and generally just as the election draws closer. It's all still abstract for a lot of people.

We'll see what happens in a week. I'm having a hard time imagining how Clinton will fare better after the debates. All Trump has to do to break even, like literally the only thing in the eyes of the media and the American public, is say "Benghazi" and "emails" after every question. You can say that's pessimistic, but search your heart of hearts, and you know it to be true.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

fart blood posted:

Remember when Beyonce performed for Barack and Michelle's first dance as President/First Lady?

Who do we all recommend perform for Donald and Melania if they have a first dance?

That Trump rapper because he's a cheap fucker

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, that's mostly what I mean. I'm hopeful there's a non-significant portion of Republicans who will actually stand on principle and not vote for Trump, but I suspect even if they do exist they'll be cancelled out by whatever "outsider" or "racist" Democrats or Independents Trump draws in. Most Republicans will just vote Republican and always probably were gonna.

Hillary's problem is enthusiasm/turnout and this Johnson/Stein "alternative." People like Dore who are pushing this idea that its a smarter move to reject Hillary and "neo liberalism" and embrace accelerationism or some weird "we'll just run out the next few years" idea. I have no idea how serious that is or if its just the usual fringes screaming louder because of the weirdness of this election but if she loses I believe it will be because of the Democrats and Liberals who stay home or vote 3rd party.

And in my mind that just wouldn't be in play if Ted Cruz was the guy up there because we wouldn't have all these weird "the Republican party is being destroyed" or "we can play them against each other" angles.

But I'm totally willing to put out there that I think I might be fighting back a nervous breakdown and panic as the possibility of a Trump presidency nears closer.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
as goons argue, Trump gets a cheesesteak

it's Geno's, I have no really hard opinions on the Philly steak scene except that I like Sonny's

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/EliStokols/status/779051072971153409
Can you answer a simple question, you loving moron?

e: Now that's what I call timing, eh?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

fart blood posted:

Anal oval office

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

Floptics

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

fart blood posted:

Meatloaf

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Sinteres posted:

I think we're all so sick of the election that it stops registering how much more important it is than anything else just because it will have a massive impact on everything else. Trump wants stop and frisk for the whole country, which would definitely lead to worse relations between police and the black community, and presumably more bodies in the streets. Making things better is of course important, but preventing them from getting worse is important too. Democrats have objectively hemorrhaged black voters over the last seven years, and white people are still the vast majority of the electorate. Maybe it's stupid to worry about a walkout being the deciding factor in the election, but I think the net effect of BLM has pretty clearly been to make Donald Trump more likely to be President (even if it's just because tons of whites were always closet racists). It's a worthwhile cause, but it's obviously also been a deliberately confrontational and divisive one at times as well.

uh has this actually been shown?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jewel Repetition posted:

You had me up until "white grievance politics." What?

Basically the tenancy of people to lose their poo poo whenever somebody wants to make it about anything other than economics. It's not a coincidence that the people who do this overwhelmingly are white and comfortable. The fringe left reacts very poorly whenever anybody wants to make it about race, and if you don't get generic platitudes about rising tides and if they feel like you're focusing on non-white person issues too much you'll start running into hostility.

It's not as far as the right takes it of course, if only because they're only a half step away from making killing people a national sport, but the demographic splits as you move further and further left aren't a coincidence

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Anal oval office

:perfect:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Karl Sharks posted:

uh has this actually been shown?

I meant white voters, my bad.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

iospace posted:

no no you don't get it this is his debate prep

defending himself from allegations of filling up his water cup with soda will be excellent practice when hillary brings up trump U

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

fart blood posted:

Who do we all recommend perform for Donald and Melania Ivanka if they have a first dance?

I recommend Killing Joke David Duke doing really lovely racist karaoke.

ftfy

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

We'll see what happens in a week. I'm having a hard time imagining how Clinton will fare better after the debates. All Trump has to do to break even, like literally the only thing in the eyes of the media and the American public, is say "Benghazi" and "emails" after every question. You can say that's pessimistic, but search your heart of hearts, and you know it to be true.

No, my heart of hearts isn't a loving Eeyore like yours is.

I think seeing Clinton lay out her policies and seeing Trump flail at stringing sentences together will win over a lot of these Johnson/Stein holdouts.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

iospace posted:

He's expanding his debate prep to include eating other cuts of beef

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

fart blood posted:

Wayne Newton.

• Locked thread