Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

EmmyOk posted:

I guess it's not the case elsewhere but here tinker is a slur for travellers.
If it's the lovely book I'm thinking of she's supposed to be a descendant of Alexander Graham Bell. "Tinker Bell" hur hur geddit geddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Runcible Cat posted:

If it's the lovely book I'm thinking of she's supposed to be a descendant of Alexander Graham Bell. "Tinker Bell" hur hur geddit geddit.

Jesus Christ that's worse than if it was a slur.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
No, her legal name IS Alexander Graham Bell. Tinker is just her nickname. Her cousin is named Orville Wright but goes by Oilcan.

Not gonna lie, I actually enjoy this series. But then I probably have low standards so...

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

I guess it's not the case elsewhere but here tinker is a slur for travellers.

A 'tinker' was originally someone who repaired light metalwork (cooking pans etc). Limited demand so they tended to travel. I think the etymology is that these items tended to be made of tin.
These days the word tends to be used for someone who repairs light items as a hobby. "To tinker with something".

The Lone Badger has a new favorite as of 23:48 on Sep 15, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

A 'tinker' was originally someone who repaired light metalwork (cooking pans etc). Limited demand so they tended to travel.
These days the word tends to be used for someone who repairs light items as a hobby. "To tinker with something".

I know the first paragraph and I know how the word is used where I live.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

Jesus Christ that's worse than if it was a slur.

To get your own personalized slur, combine the name of the street you grew up on with an antiquated synonym for the first thing you wanted to be when you grew up

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
For terrible horror that is actually well written but still sort of the literary equivalent of Saw I'd recommend Wrath James White's oeuvre.

Every single book he's ever written has an author note that specifically mentions him being an MMA fighter, kick boxer etc.

His books also contain a rather ridiculous amount of author self inserts which is always the mark of a good trashy author.

I'd personally recommend To the Death, Pure Hate and Yaccub's Curse

To the Death is a zombie novel but with a twist in that the zombies haven't actually taken over the world but are a weapon being used by African warlords and contestants in underground MMA fights.

Pure Hate is a story about revenge where a giant black serial killer with platinum vampire fangs eats people alive.

Yaccub's Curse is about the rather crazy Nation of Islam doctrine that the white race was created by ancient eugenics to hold the black man down.

As a writer he's actually pretty good but his subject matter leaves a lot to be desired.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

"nether universe pole"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

"unloosened her dress"?
"out of it in a whisk"?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Tunicate posted:

Tinker is an urban fantasy novel where some sort of portal opened, connecting the world to a bunch of elves and enabling magic to return to the world. Tinker is the scrappy female protagonist, who runs a salvage business and has her life interrupted by an elf prince named Wolfwind or some poo poo like that, being chased by actual wolves.
Hey, I know the author of this book from an online writing group. I've never read it, so I have no opinions on its quality, but she's a nice lady. Maybe a bit socially awkward (but then so was everyone else there).

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
I thought this parody of John Ringo was absolutely hilarious and spot-on. It relentlessly takes the piss out of his loving terrible ideas:

quote:

One critical aspect of the plagues, though, was quickly refilling earth’s population. The Horvath had hidden a subtle genetic change in several of the viruses that were spread. The change had to do with female reproduction, especially in the “blonde” genetic subgroup. Women who were effected, and the spread had been very nearly one hundred percent, were subject to a “heat” cycle similar to male reproductive drive and pharmaceutical contraceptives were functionally useless. The Horvath had anticipated their plagues essentially depopulating the planet and wanted to ensure a steady supply of new human slaves.

Friendly Glatun medical AIs and doctors had stopped the plague from killing most of humanity but since most of the world’s population was infected by the orbitally distributed plagues, they were left with the problem of what was called “Johannsen’s Syndrome.” The only way to fix the global issue was a reverse plague. But not only were the ethical considerations against infecting people without their consent, to stop the Horvath plagues they’d immunized most of humanity with advanced nano-bots that stopped virtually any biological or nannite in its tracks. To undue the damage required multiple medical visits and advanced technology that, at that point, was fairly rare.

This left virtually every woman on the planet with so much as a trace of blonde gene as a baby factory. The first year after the plague, Germany had one birth for every reproductive aged female. Scandinavia at one point hit an average birth rate of 9.1, meaning that if the rate continued the average Scandinavian—Dane, Swedish and Norwegian—woman would bear nine children in her life. The teen pregnancy rate got completely out of control for about five years before education and cultural effects started to get a handle on the new reality.

It was all very well to say “be fruitful and multiply.” Johannsen’s made the situation simply insane. The nature of the plague meant that, in some cases, there were serial pregnancies meaning that more than one viable fetus was in the womb from multiple inseminations. Some women had three children in as many months.

There's more of this satirical Swiftian brilliance here.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

divabot posted:

I thought this parody of John Ringo was absolutely hilarious and spot-on. It relentlessly takes the piss out of his loving terrible ideas:

There's more of this satirical Swiftian brilliance here.
"Weird that Baen would host that kind of parody, given that they're his publisher... oh. Well then."

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

While we're on the topic of terrible books written by survivalists that had a thread dedicated them to in TFR, what was that book written by some guy where the book art is the Constitution burning or some poo poo? The most detailed and elaborate passages in the book were dedicated to the guns people used, and I think the author himself got an account to shitpost in the thread. It wasn't The Turner Diaries.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Y-Hat posted:

While we're on the topic of terrible books written by survivalists that had a thread dedicated them to in TFR, what was that book written by some guy where the book art is the Constitution burning or some poo poo? The most detailed and elaborate passages in the book were dedicated to the guns people used, and I think the author himself got an account to shitpost in the thread. It wasn't The Turner Diaries.

Going by the cover description that would probably be Unintended Consequences.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

C.M. Kruger posted:

Going by the cover description that would probably be Unintended Consequences.
No joke, I came across that name in the thread reviewing Ghost and then refreshed this page to see the same name. I think Cyrano did the thread for Unintended Consequences too.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
There's an amazing podcast about bad books called I Don't Even Own A Television

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cumslut1895 posted:

you could at LEAST read the first page of the thread

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Alaois posted:

you could at LEAST read the first page of the thread

No puedo leer Inglés

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Cumslut1895 posted:

I'm halfway through their one on Snow Crash, and it seems to be largely them complaining how the satire doesn't work, and then reading out bits of satire that they're treating as serious.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm halfway through their one on Snow Crash, and it seems to be largely them complaining how the satire doesn't work, and then reading out bits of satire that they're treating as serious.
Yeah, I didn't even bother with that one because pretty much the only way to read Snow Crash as a bad book (I'll concede that it's a flawed one) is to miss the point. Honestly, the show is very hit-or-miss for me overall (mostly miss, to be frank).

On the other hand, the episodes with Lemon from The F Plus guesting are mandatory listening.

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 16:37 on Sep 22, 2016

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Agreed. They seem to fundamentally misunderstand SC. I mean, you can criticise a lot about the book - it's more a collection of pieces than a coherent story, and is a little self pleased - but IDEOAT didn't focus on any of that.

On the other hand, they took Da Vinci Code apart. Have they ever done Girl With The Dragon Tattoo?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The Kingmaker, Kingbreaker duology by Karen Miller is the worst take on fantasy I read in a while. It's very obvious she wanted to write a gay romance novel, but for some reason couldn't, so the 2 main characters are just super friendly to each other. Uncomfortably super friendly. And it's boring too. The main character is some SUPER SPECIAL homeless teenager who gets picked up by the super rich teenager to be trained in magic so he can save the world by defeating an ancient evil. This battle is hyped up throughout both books, but it lasts like 2 pages and feels like nothing really happened.

Speaking of boring, don't get me started on Reamde by Neal Stephenson. The book is clearly 2 separate, other books smashed together into one. The 2-3 action sequences are actually fairly interesting, but everything else is just incredibly dull. I can barely remember the story aside from there being a black Canadian guy who's a Muslim terrorist, some kind of rich redneck family that invented WoW and 2 nerds high-jacked a freighter at sea.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mentioned some star wars books waaaaay back in the thread, and Karen miller has written some of them. The book I mentioned was "invincible", which I believe remains the only star wars book to contain a torture/underage sexual assault scene. Anyways, the series following that book was partially written by miller, and that series involved a psychotic ex imperial admiral becoming space president, a whole new super sith army, and a tentacle monster from a star trek episode as the big villain for the series.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's been a long time since I've read it, but I feel like Jay and Collision's assessment of Snow Crash is right on. I never bought it as a cyberpunk satire. There's a difference between satire and parody/comedy and Snow Crash never really engages with the style and tropes of cyberpunk in a satirical way. It's a comedic cyberpunk Neal Stephenson novel with some base hit observations on globalization and a bunch of creepy stuff about a teenage girl who's totally mature enough, guys.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I read Snow Crash as the final book of four in my Religion and Literature class. It was OK, I liked Midnight's Children (third book) a lot more. I took a second class with the same professor about religions of India and one class was dedicated to showing us an anime of a Hindu myth. You're never too old to be a nerd, I guess.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i always really hated A Separate Peace

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I thought that they were pretty clear at the beginning of that episode that they never really wanted that much to do Snow Crash, but they let the fans choose once as a Christmas Special-type thing and that was the clear consensus.

The episodes featuring Lemon are great, but my personal faves are the "Those Who Trespass" episode (it's a book written by Bill O'Reilly about a Good Bill O'Reilly facing off with a murderous Bad Bill O'Reilly) and the "If They Only Knew" episode (Major League Baseball player writes a book that reads like John Wayne wrote the text on the side of Dr. Bronner's Soap)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

I mentioned some star wars books waaaaay back in the thread, and Karen miller has written some of them. The book I mentioned was "invincible", which I believe remains the only star wars book to contain a torture/underage sexual assault scene. Anyways, the series following that book was partially written by miller, and that series involved a psychotic ex imperial admiral becoming space president, a whole new super sith army, and a tentacle monster from a star trek episode as the big villain for the series.

Was that not Karen Traviss? Although Karen Miller has also written Star Wars books; I believe she did a few Clone Wars tie-ins.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Nckdictator posted:

"nether universe pole"

Reminds me of:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Electric Lady posted:

Reminds me of:

:allbuttons:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Electric Lady posted:

Reminds me of:

Spikenard.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Electric Lady posted:

Reminds me of:

I remember when the Internet found out about that; there were dramatic readings and fanart and all that crap. It's all disappeared now except for this. :sigh:

Wish I knew what happened to my MP3s.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
you shouldn't describe a monster but leave it to the readers imagination, this horror he's describing for two pages with a snake for a spine and quills for legs sounds just dumb and not scary

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Electric Lady posted:

Reminds me of:

A metaphor is a glorious thing/A diamond Ring/The first day of summer/A metaphor is a breath of fresh-air/a turn on/an aphrodesiac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAWi41KiDdw

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Electric Lady posted:

Reminds me of:

Scruffy the Janitor saying, "She walks in beauty, like a pile of rocks and critters," before purposefully licking his fingertip and turning the page of his nudie magazine.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

A chalkbed? :psyduck:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Scruffy the Janitor saying, "She walks in beauty, like a pile of rocks and critters," before purposefully licking his fingertip and turning the page of his nudie magazine.

Second.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lumbermouth posted:

It's been a long time since I've read it, but I feel like Jay and Collision's assessment of Snow Crash is right on. I never bought it as a cyberpunk satire. There's a difference between satire and parody/comedy and Snow Crash never really engages with the style and tropes of cyberpunk in a satirical way. It's a comedic cyberpunk Neal Stephenson novel with some base hit observations on globalization and a bunch of creepy stuff about a teenage girl who's totally mature enough, guys.

no, that just makes it satire, because if a thing i like has bad things in it that means its satire

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

There are people that think Transformers is satire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

There are people that think Transformers is satire.

Wait. It's not?

gently caress