Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Jedit posted:

I'm honestly more concerned about the apparent 300% rise in rapes in Glasgow.

I was hoping that we can all agree, at least, that bad things are bad, more bad things are bad, and that this didn't need pointing out to anyone here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

I've just found out that one of the Highland Tory MSPs is their Land Reform spokesman. And obviously he is a landlord (& 4th Baronet). For all that Ruth Davidson does well, you have to say that making a member of the landed gentry your land reform spokesman is a mite tone deaf.

Mountain? Also a fanny (which is a shame because I used to know his wife and she's lovely, to the point of me really looking confused whenever I see him). But yeah, really very man of the people stuff, but wow Ruth, that's some cheek even for you!

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

jre posted:

Because they are paying 700-800 pounds a month for a one bedroom. People who aren't earning well above the national average just can't pay that. Most folk I know in Aberdeen who aren't on good money live on the outskirts of the city or in Stonehaven.

It wouldn't be ideal, but 700 pounds a month would certainly be very much affordable at the national average by standard rules of thumb. You're wrong.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

tsa posted:

It wouldn't be ideal, but 700 pounds a month would certainly be very much affordable at the national average by standard rules of thumb. You're wrong.

what rule of thumb are you using? at 30% I make that a salary requirement of £28 000. Median is £21k in the UK?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Median and average are different things tho?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Coohoolin posted:

The median is an average. I wonder what the national income mode is, probably £0 I guess.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Coohoolin posted:

They aren't, average refers to whichever method you use (usually Mean) but in a tax haven full of millionaires, rank inequality, and 0 hour contracts and temp work being norm, a mean either including or excludion 2 sd doesn't reflect the income you can expect to make. Median is the preferred method for income.

You can make adjustments and come out with a good prediction of what's affordable but unless TSA is arguing that 50% is "reasonable" to spend on rent (it is absolutely not) then it wouldn't be relevant to argue that £700 + council tax is affordable for the average.

However, I did just check further, and the median income of the northeast of Scotland is still around £30k, so he's right in that this would make it affordable. Unless you lose your job, or don't work full time.

big scary monsters posted:

The median is an average. I wonder what the national income mode is, probably £0 I guess.

minimum wage, quite possibly now on 0 hours too

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Sep 18, 2016

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Scotland's papers: Second referendum and council tax

quote:

The Herald reports that "big hitters" within the SNP have pressed First Minister Nicola Sturgeon for a delay in calling another referendum on independence.

According to the Scotsman, local authorities in Scotland want additionaltax-raising powers to help them avoid cuts to services.

A far-right group is pushing its racist ideas by operating a "whites-only" food bank in Glasgow, says the Daily Record.

The Scottish Sun reports on an unofficial investigation into a recent death in the west of Scotland.

The National features weekend rallies in support of Scottish independence.

A construction worker's car at the site of the new Aberdeen by-pass took a bit of a battering in a controlled explosion, according to the Press and Journal.

The Scottish Daily Mail leads on the first minister's determination to press for independence.

The i reports on the power struggle taking place within Labour.

The current generation of pensioners are enjoying a "golden age" of retirement incomes, says the Scottish Daily Express.

The Daily Star of Scotland leads on thebomb and stabbing attacks in the United States.

Bit of a hodge podge today. The record's story seems to have a lot less to it than the front page suggests; one off demo (in august) by fascists where they had a couple of bags of food is not a "food bank," unless I'm reading it wrong. Did anyone go to Glasgow Green at the weekend? Partner said she heard some bad singing about freedom coming from a stage in George square on the Saturday (coohoolin?), but curious to know how the main thing went

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Spangly A posted:

what rule of thumb are you using? at 30% I make that a salary requirement of £28 000. Median is £21k in the UK?

For reference, note that this is household income not individuals.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

https://twitter.com/JamieRoss7/status/777625813948792832

Crimes against comedy and rap music compounded by homophobic slurs.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
White probably straight man thinks he's onto a winner telling lesbian what to find offensive or not.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Lord of the Llamas posted:

White probably straight man thinks he's onto a winner telling lesbian what to find offensive or not.

I think this was a more interesting tweet

https://twitter.com/JamieRoss7/status/777835562401169408

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

He's not telling her she has to be offended by it, but it's a context sensitive term. Me, a straight male, calling a lesbian a dyke is a bit different from a lesbian calling themselves a dyke.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

https://twitter.com/JamieRoss7/status/777835562401169408

Probably should've posted this too, for context. It's a bit of a mixture. On the one hand, yeah mansplaining to gays not to call gays nasty names is a bit poo poo. On the other, the gist of Stonewall's No Bystanders campaign, which seems to be taking exception, is that everyone, be they gay or straight, should be calling out homophobic language when they see it.

e; ah, gently caress, that's what I get for having pissflaps on ignore. Beaten thoroughly.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

He's not telling her she has to be offended by it, but it's a context sensitive term. Me, a straight male, calling a lesbian a dyke is a bit different from a lesbian calling themselves a dyke.

Isn't this a case of a woman calling a lesbian woman a dyke?

TomViolence posted:

e; ah, gently caress, that's what I get for having pissflaps on ignore. Beaten thoroughly.

A reader of this thread might wonder how you know you were beaten if you have the person who beat you on ignore.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

A reader of this thread might wonder how you know you were beaten if you have the person who beat you on ignore.

I'm like that with plasters too. Can't resist peeling them off for a good, hard look.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

Interesting that the Scottish Conservatives, who recently argued that a former MSP had no legitimate interest in the area he represented because he was a foreigner, are now paragons of equality and civil discourse.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Alertrelic posted:

Interesting that the Scottish Conservatives, who recently argued that a former MSP had no legitimate interest in the area he represented because he was a foreigner, are now paragons of equality and civil discourse.

The who? Oh, you mean the Ruth Davidson Party.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/777894034291494912

Big shift, though the previous poll was in the aftermath of the referendum (don't recall anyone posting it here though, which seems surprising given it showed yes winning).
I doubt this will have much impact on holyrood voting (and not that it matters much given how far away the next election is), but I'm worried that it might well be the Tories/Ruth Davidson picking up any shift from the SNP, not labour.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Niric posted:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/777894034291494912

Big shift, though the previous poll was in the aftermath of the referendum (don't recall anyone posting it here though, which seems surprising given it showed yes winning).
I doubt this will have much impact on holyrood voting (and not that it matters much given how far away the next election is), but I'm worried that it might well be the Tories/Ruth Davidson picking up any shift from the SNP, not labour.

This is really interesting, not what I expected at all at the time although seems obvious in hindsight. Not sure without googling who said that there were only two political positions, change and the status quo, but at face value this seems a strong example. Uncertainty can act against change even when logic (albeit based on polling) suggests its desirable.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
It's oil isn't it? The whole things hosed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hoops posted:

It's oil isn't it? The whole things hosed.

No, no, no - Nicola Sturgeon says independence transcends oil, Brexit or the economy. It's much more important to be independent than to have a working country.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Jedit posted:

No, no, no - Nicola Sturgeon says independence transcends oil, Brexit or the economy. It's much more important to be independent than to have a working country.

In that respect at least, she and little England are in accord.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TomViolence posted:

In that respect at least, she and little England are in accord.

Nationalism is a poison. It's not restricted to the SNP.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Scotland's papers: May's attack and Barton's blues

quote:

Theresa May has accused Nicola Sturgeon of playing down the effect of a plunge in the global price of oil and criticised the first minister for her post-Brexit independence push, writes The Herald.

Meanwhile, senior figures in the SNP are "secretly preparing" the independence blueprint that Nicola Sturgeon hopes will take the Yes camp to victory in a second referendum, claims The Times.

The Scotsman reports Prime Minister May's criticism of other western leaders over their response to the migration crisis. Mrs May has also called for a tougher stance on economic migration.

The National leads with the MoD admission that the UK took part in an airstrike that accidentally killed Syrian troops fighting Daesh.

According to the Scottish Daily Mail, Scotland loses the equivalent of one GP each week and the paper warns that patients will be put at risk by the growing number of doctors leaving the profession.

Britain will get an "ambitious" trade dealwith the EU without having to accept unlimited EU migration, Theresa May has promised, says the Scottish Daily Express.

Many of Scotland's front pages feature Rangers midfielder Joey Barton, who has been banned from the club for three weeks. The Scottish Sun leads with claims concerning an alleged investigation into the suspended Rangers player.

Tom Watson has challenged critics plotting to oust him as Labour's deputy leader to "bring it on" - but warned it would condemn the party to a renewed bout of damaging in-fighting, says the i paper.

The Daily Star of Scotland writes that TV star Michelle Keegan had to be "dragged to safety" from an early morning nightclub brawl.

No P&J today. Their website's top story is the allegedly news worthy "Aberdeen brothers terrified to leave the house after bullies allegedly set fire to football shirt."

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

I hate this "a word is ok only when a certain group of people use it but otherwise it's horrendously offensive" argument, though Joanna Cherry's reply seems quite reasonable aside from that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Niric posted:

No P&J today. Their website's top story is the allegedly news worthy "Aberdeen brothers terrified to leave the house after bullies allegedly set fire to football shirt."

That was yesterday's P&J. It's mainly newsworthy because the two boys are autistic and that may be why they were attacked.

And how surprising that when the First Minister of Scotland makes a monumental gaffe, the newspaper for Scottish news ignores it and leads with an article criticising the English. The National should just change its masthead to "The Official SNP Newsletter". It'd actually be an improvement on the current masthead, which is one step away from "The Scottish newspaper fighting for the truth" - and in the wrong direction.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jedit posted:

And how surprising that when the First Minister of Scotland makes a monumental gaffe, the newspaper for Scottish news ignores it and leads with an article criticising the English. The National should just change its masthead to "The Official SNP Newsletter". It'd actually be an improvement on the current masthead, which is one step away from "The Scottish newspaper fighting for the truth" - and in the wrong direction.

I'm not going to sit here and defend the national to any great extent, but dare I ask what Nicola's monumental gaffe was, outside of possibly continuing to exist? Given that it's not in any of those other papers from yesterday.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Angepain posted:

I'm not going to sit here and defend the national to any great extent, but dare I ask what Nicola's monumental gaffe was, outside of possibly continuing to exist? Given that it's not in any of those other papers from yesterday.

It's brought up in the Herald and the Times. Sturgeon pushing for a second Independence referendum is not a surprise, but she has claimed that she was doing it because Scots want to remain in the EU. Now she's said that actually it doesn't matter about the EU referendum result, and it doesn't matter if the Scottish economy would be tanked by independence, she'd be going for it anyway. In essence she's just told 55% of Scots that their wishes are meaningless while simultaneously demonstrating that SNP politics are completely divorced from reality - and reality got the house and custody of the kids.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

You should probably get someone who works at BT to escalate your complaint.

Considering plusnet have been ignoring me and have not made any progress for two problems that one can be done in at least 48 hours (tag on the line for some reason. And it's been about a week and nothing appears to be done)

I'll be moving ISP to Zen Internet and see if we can get something done

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Scotland's papers: Shrinking packets and Brad fights back

quote:

A row between the SNP's finance secretary and one of Holyrood's most influential committees has "erupted into the open" over the amount of time that will be available to scrutinise the "most important Scottish budget ever", according to The Herald.

The Scotsman leads with a new report which says Police Scotland should deal with low-level crime over the phone rather than in person to allow officers more time to investigate other offences.

Supermarkets are preparing to shrink packet sizes and switch to cheaper ingredients to offset an increase in costs after the Brexit vote, in what the Bank of England described as plans to "re-engineer" products, says The Times of Scotland.

According to The National, the media in Scotland were all at "sixes and sevens" yesterday when it emerged that STV would launch a TV bulletin combining Scottish, UK and international news - the equivalent of the BBC's much-mooted "Scottish Six" - at 19:00 from early 2017.

Some of Scotland's "worst criminals" have been spared jail for "soft-touch" community service sentences, claims the Scottish Daily Mail.

Meanwhile, the Scottish Daily Express reports on a warning from a top officer that Police Scotland could miss key opportunities to catch serial killers and rapists due to its "flawed" crime reporting system.

The Daily Record leads with the words of a three-year-old girl who has called a stem cell donor "her hero" after a global search for a donor to help treat a rare blood disorder she was suffering from.

In day-two of the Brad Pitt-Angelina Jolie split story, the Hollywood actor has saidhe still loves the leading lady, according to the front page of The Scottish Sun.

By contrast, the Daily Star of Scotland claims that "furious" Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are heading for a Hollywood "divorce war" after the actress "unleashed hell" with claims about "bad parenting".

In other news, police have warned that there will be no hiding place for fans "hell-bent" on causing trouble at the Pittodrie showdown between Aberdeen and Rangers this weekend.

The budget/finance committee story, while hardly as sexy as movie star divorces, seems like it should be getting a much bigger profile. It seems fundamental to how holyrood operates, and strong committees are vital for holding the government to account - especially useful when the government is dominated by one party for a long period of time, since (so I've heard) they've so far generally been quite good at managing to be more critical and scrupulous than unswervingly partisan. Case in point, the herald story above which is definitely worth a read has the (SNP) finance committee convenor explicitly criticizing the SNP government.

Also, here's a bonus depressing story of the day: Scotland's social care services 'unsustainable'

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-37438056

quote:

Scottish Labour leader Kezia Dugdale has failed to register a vote at Holyrood - allowing the Scottish government to avoid a defeat.
A majority of MSPs backed a Conservative amendment which said the government's council tax proposals undermined local accountability.
But when it came to the final decision, the vote was tied at 63 all - with Ms Dugdale apparently not voting.
The presiding officer then used his casting vote to back the government.

lmao

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
She's just not good enough at all is she?

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

Apparently Douglas Ross, of Ruth Davidson's Strong Opposition Party, missed the vote entirely since he was refereeing in Switzerland.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The only good politicians at Holyrood are Sturgeon and Davidson.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Pissflaps posted:

The only good politicians at Holyrood are Sturgeon and Davidson.

Incorrect because you missed he of the dreamy eyes

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
how can you not love andy wightman, he's the unkempt academic uncle this country needs

(pictured left)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Angepain posted:

how can you not love andy wightman, he's the unkempt academic uncle this country needs

(pictured left)

I'd say between Andy Wightman, John Finnie & Patrick Harvie (I don't really know enough about the rest of their MSPs, though from the little I've seen Ross Greer seems well-intentioned at least. Suppose all of them are. Scottish Greens are pretty good really as far as modern political parties go.) the Greens have far & away the highest proportion of competent MSPs at present.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Scotland's papers: Labour warning and police 'crisis'

quote:

The Herald says Jeremy Corbyn's allies have been been warned they could kill off Labour in Scotland if they sink a key part of Kezia Dugdale's "autonomy" plans.

The Scotsman leads with the same story, saying that Labour's only MP, Ian Murray, has warned Mr Corbyn's backers risk"shutting down" the Scottish party.

The Times Scotland reports the comments of a German business chief, who has said that Brexit will "boost Britain".

"Labour in La La Land" is the headline on the front page of the Scottish Daily Mail, which says the party has been plunged into a fresh round of infighting.

The National also reports from the Labour Party conference in Liverpool, saying Kezia Dugdale may not have the confidence to continue as leader if she does not receive the backing she wants.

The i's Scotland edition reports that Prime Minister Theresa May is facing a backlash after saying Scotland should care more about its union with the UK than the EU.

An Afghan veteran and "war hero" has been caught secretly filming women on the toilet and hoarding child sex abuse images, reports the Daily Record.

Whistleblowers say police officers have been ordered to avoid arresting criminalsafter a staffing crisis closed cells, according to the Scottish Sun.

The Daily Star of Scotland says police are investigating a new "race hate crime" on ITV drama Coronation Street.

One billion barrels of oil could be abandoned under the North Sea because low oil prices make them too expensive to retrieve, says the Press and Journal.

And The Courier says an Angus head teacher has admitted "improper contact"with pupils while drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

All of these stories are from today. I suspect one will get more attention than the others from SNP voters, and will be used as "evidence" to support the case for an SNP government:

Thing that the SNP has done: "Government reiterated its determination to cut tax on aviation, despite half of the respondents to its own consultation rejecting this....[and] the tax and accountancy bodies don't believe the economic case

Thing that the SNP has said: "ensure that the benefits of growth, of globalisation, are more fairly distributed."

Thing that the SNP hasn't done: "Kezia Dugdale reaffirmed her party’s commitment to a penny on income tax and a 50p top rate."

Niric fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Sep 27, 2016