Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Also gearbox are garbage devs so I ain't crying

I agree Battleborn has its issues, but do you think all Gearbox titles are crap? Because if so, I can't fully take you seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yes, borderlands is crap. this is an established fact.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

borderlands loot system is tremendously bad and stingy. i bet if they hadnt hosed that and higher level up so bad it woulda been a lot better

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

lol just lol if you look at how stingy Borderlands loot is and call it a good game.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

I disagree, A!
Borderlands is great fun. Well, Borderlands 2 is.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

borderlands 2s loot system ruined the game for me because i thought the gunzerker would be cool and i didnt get a single gun worth a poo poo over the course of six hours of play and everything got progressively more terrible as i couldnt do poo poo since even my special ult ability was based on gun damage

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

rabidsquid posted:

borderlands loot system is tremendously bad and stingy.
boy you're gonna be in for a shock if you ever play Destiny

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

CrashCat posted:

it is super easy to get a gun that kills things in a reasonable time frame at high levels in destiny

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

At least Destiny has the excuse that its a treadmill MMO instead of pretending to be Diablo

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

Do y'all play these games solo or something? I haven't had any trouble with gearing while playing with a few friends. To me, the main draw is the cooperative nature of the games (though I also appreciate the charming humor and art style). Same goes for D3. It's twenty times more fun with friends.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I only played the first Borderlands and never remember a point where I felt like I hit a progression wall. The rule of thumb was "Is there an element on this gun? Okay, I'm god."

They messed with that in the sequel?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

al-azad posted:

I only played the first Borderlands and never remember a point where I felt like I hit a progression wall. The rule of thumb was "Is there an element on this gun? Okay, I'm god."

They messed with that in the sequel?

Oh boy did they ever! Borderlands 1 didn't have this problem because the scaling wasn't completely broken.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

MisterAlex posted:

I agree Battleborn has its issues, but do you think all Gearbox titles are crap? Because if so, I can't fully take you seriously.

YEAH! Borderlands is awesome!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Awesome! posted:

it is super easy to get a gun that kills things in a reasonable time frame at high levels in destiny
well they must have changed that, thank goodness :shrug:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Borderlands sucks balls. The humour is godawful.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

CrashCat posted:

well they must have changed that, thank goodness :shrug:

yea in the good expansion that came out they made a bunch of super good vendor guns so just by doing some strikes for a bit you could get top guns that you could use in all content forever if you wanted

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Borderlands sucks balls. The humour is godawful.

Tiny Tina is the worst loving character.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I relapsed back into Destiny for Rise of Iron, started a new character, and they literally hand you a schematic for an Exotic weapon when you dismantle the very first tutorial gun the game gives you. It's nuts.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
The first Borderlands was pretty incredible. I don't know what I was expecting with Borderlands 2, but I found it to be pretty boring. Then I played the Telltale Borderlands game a few months ago and thought, "Hmm... maybe I'm finally ready to play some more Borderlands" and tried the pre-sequel and that was a huge loving mistake. What a lovely game.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

rabidsquid posted:

yea in the good expansion that came out they made a bunch of super good vendor guns so just by doing some strikes for a bit you could get top guns that you could use in all content forever if you wanted
I left before I even got any of the crap from my season pass, I couldn't take it anymore :smith:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ignoring all of the stuff people say about it being an mmo grindathon the thing i actually legitimately dont like is that it cribs from f2p phone games by trying to incentivize you to log in every single day, and something about that model just really ruins games for me.

if i feel like i am missing out if i miss a day, i'd rather just not play at all than have that forced interaction staring me down. like i get it, its a way to keep your engagement level up which is good for blah blah blah blah who cares, but i find it stressful and dont give a gently caress about engagement rates

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Gonna jump on the Gearbox hate. In addition to their terrible professional reputation I haven't played a single game by them that I've liked.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Opposing Force was good

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

rabidsquid posted:

ignoring all of the stuff people say about it being an mmo grindathon the thing i actually legitimately dont like is that it cribs from f2p phone games by trying to incentivize you to log in every single day, and something about that model just really ruins games for me.

if i feel like i am missing out if i miss a day, i'd rather just not play at all than have that forced interaction staring me down. like i get it, its a way to keep your engagement level up which is good for blah blah blah blah who cares, but i find it stressful and dont give a gently caress about engagement rates

the only real daily things are stuff like the daily heroic story and daily pvp playlist. those only get you some legendary marks. you arent really missing anything i promise. i normally dont even bother when i do log in.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

rabidsquid posted:

call of duty flash sale, ps3 modern warfare 2 on sale for 59.99 gold extreme season pass bundle, call of duty ghosts $50

lmao this is too accurate

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

rabidsquid posted:

Yeah, I hate dailies a lot, I'll do them but hosed if I'll make time out of my day for a playdate with your drat game

Used to be you had to play on Tuesdays specifically to get a shot at anything good before all the people left had already done them and you had no chance to get a group together, that was even worse

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Borderlands 1-2 are good and fun. Pre-sequel was surprisingly fun. There's not many fun co-op games like them

I'd hate to play them alone tho and if you guys dislike them because you were playing solo then lol

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You can have fun with any piece of poo poo coop though, just having fun with a game doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't criticize it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

homeless snail posted:

You can have fun with any piece of poo poo coop though

Counterpoint: aliens: colonial marines

Another piece of poo poo from the gearbox boys!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Counterpoint: aliens: colonial marines

Another piece of poo poo from the gearbox boys!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If your game requires co op to be good then it's probably not a good game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My friend and I who will literally play any co op game (he actually liked borderlands, I did not) gave up on Colon Marines after like an hour. It was zero fun to play.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I loved Borderlands 1 but something happened in 2 when it just didn't click anymore, it's like they tried to make all the guns too insane that nothing was good and stable as a fallback. Destiny, for all its faults, has pretty stable gunplay and a fairly reliable loot curve, even if you don't do all the endgame content like raiding, if you do matchmaking enough you'll get some decent high level gear, compared to Borderlands' literal loot slotmachine.

Gameplay aside, my problem with Borderlands is the writers think they're a lot funnier than they are. The problem with Destiny's writers is they think they're a lot better at "grand epic tales of good v evil" than they are. And in the end, I'd prefer the guys who think they're writing Tolkien when they're actually writing knockoff Feist instead of guys who think they're George Carlin when they're actually Daniel Tosh.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Borderlands 2 was one of the best games of the PS3 generation. Also the only game with a seasons pass actually worth getting, the expansions added a ton of content.

Like EXPLOSIONS!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I like pretty much all of Borderlands but everything about Battleborn is just. Super unfortunate.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

CrashCat posted:

It brings tears to my eyes if I think too hard about how we managed to get a game where it was okay for "rare" tier unidentified loot to identify down to "uncommon" tier loot in the modern age of gaming.

Yes, it was one of the first things they patched out, but holy poo poo.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Emalde posted:

It brings tears to my eyes if I think too hard about how we managed to get a game where it was okay for "rare" tier unidentified loot to identify down to "uncommon" tier loot in the modern age of gaming.

Yes, it was one of the first things they patched out, but holy poo poo.

Loot is stupid.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

mycot posted:

I like pretty much all of Borderlands but everything about Battleborn is just. Super unfortunate.

I'm curious to at least play it once just to see what it's like. Is it really THAT bad or is Overwatch just that much better? People are always like "it's not like Overwatch!!"

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I'm curious to at least play it once just to see what it's like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Maybe this would actually be better to ask here:
Hmmmmm... Been thinking about DQ Builders lately. Is the PS4 version superior in ways aside from framerate and graphics, or is it worth sacrificing that for the portability (and comfort :)) of the Vita version.

• Locked thread