Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Code Jockey posted:

I totally understand this part, but I can't wrap my mind around permanent blacklisting, I guess. What does that accomplish?

Not trying to say California is wrong for doing it per se, just genuinely curious.

Oh, I'm not defending that, it makes no sense. Its related to the emissions compliance of a 49 state vehicle and the definition of 'used', becoming an anti-loophole that has caught people out. I remember the first time I read about it, the provision was to prevent 49 state cars being sold new here, since those aforementioned 37 million cars make for some serious smog and there used to be a definite difference between a California emissions specification and a Federal emissions specification. Now, not much if any. The law shouldn't apply to individuals, nor to the mostly emissions exempt vehicles.

Combine dealer protection lobby with an environmental benefit, its a perfect storm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I used to live in NJ. I could go to the DMV website, easily find every form I needed, print them out at home with very simple easy to follow instructions, walk into any DMV first thing in the morning, go right up to the counter, and be out in 20 minutes. The state run emissions checks are free.

Now I live in California. Just registering a car is $200 a year vs $50 in NJ. The website is a labyrinth of poo poo. If you can get an appointment at the DMV, you should only have to wait about an hour. Good luck if you don't have one. If you're missing a form, you have to come back another time. Then you have to pay for your own SMOG check to some jackass in a gas station whose trying to tell you "No, all Subarus are 2.5 liters. Where is your turbo?" The whole system is set up to gently caress you into paying them fees and fines.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

this is terrible because someone who isn't an AI poster bought it (for £55,000) and therefore we won't get a 300-page thread about its adventures

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 20, 2016

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

DiggityDoink posted:

Terrible bike stuff part 2. I went to DMV to try and solve the bike registration problem. They said I'm hosed like you guys all said I was gonna be but then they wouldn't even refund the 200 bucks I paid to register it AND even if I register it in another state and put more than 7500 miles on it, I'm banned from trying to register it again.

What if you found an identical bike that was written off, then swapped all the parts from yours onto it so that you got a new VIN?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That Vin would show up as having been written off. If that doesn't bother you, no worries.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Nah what I'm doing is sending the title back to my dad, who's going to register it again in NJ since the title is still in his name. The bike doesn't need to be there in person iirc and if it does, I guess I'm paying to ship it out to him and then have it shipped back. There are easier ways around this than building a new bike with the old parts.

Also the motor has the VIN on it too so I bet I'd get hosed for that.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

DiggityDoink posted:

Nah what I'm doing is sending the title back to my dad, who's going to register it again in NJ since the title is still in his name. The bike doesn't need to be there in person iirc and if it does, I guess I'm paying to ship it out to him and then have it shipped back. There are easier ways around this than building a new bike with the old parts.

Also the motor has the VIN on it too so I bet I'd get hosed for that.

No, no, no. First you get a written off motorcycle. Then you remove all of the parts all at once from the vin plate, and take all of the parts off your vin plate, all at once, and mount them on the new vin plate. Now it's a rebuilt motorcycle, with a donor engine.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've done the frame swap thing to get a non-title trackbike back on the street... they didn't even inspect the bike here in Az.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

EKDS5k posted:

No, no, no. First you get a written off motorcycle. Then you remove all of the parts all at once from the vin plate, and take all of the parts off your vin plate, all at once, and mount them on the new vin plate. Now it's a rebuilt motorcycle, with a donor engine.

poo poo at that point you might as well just buy a new bike. Or is :thejoke:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Linedance posted:

No, imagine it like this:

You take the salvage bike and mount it by the VIN plate in a vise. Then you unbolt everything from the old bike's VIN plate, and take all those parts and put them in one pile, leaving the VIN plate in the vise. Then you do the same thing with the good bike, mounting its VIN plate so that you don't lose it, unbolting all its parts and putting them in a pile. Then you swap the piles of parts and connect everything back onto the VIN plates and tada, you've just rebuilt the salvage bike with all your good parts!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Linedance posted:

No the point is an illegal VIN change. Rip them off and put'em back on.

efb. Sort of. ^^might not be clear enough, idk

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

No, imagine it like this:

You take the salvage bike and mount it by the VIN plate in a vise. Then you unbolt everything from the old bike's VIN plate, and take all those parts and put them in one pile, leaving the VIN plate in the vise. Then you do the same thing with the good bike, mounting its VIN plate so that you don't lose it, unbolting all its parts and putting them in a pile. Then you swap the piles of parts and connect everything back onto the VIN plates and tada, you've just rebuilt the salvage bike with all your good parts!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I know what happened to my stolen bike that went up for sale a couple of months later on gumtree. What I'm saying is that if you're paying for the donor bike, and doing all the work, you'd likely be better off, and probably come out ahead just selling your unregisterable-in-CA bike out of state and buying like-for-like replacement with a valid CA registration.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ebay headlights are terrible car poo poo. The retaining clip for the h1 bulb in a buddy's eclipse wasn't clamped in, so when we pulled the bulb off, the clip came with it. Cue 2 hours of wrestling it back in because we didn't want to remove the bumper to get the housing out so we could see it.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Managed to get a picture of this early in the morning

Hard to tell just how bright they were , but they were blinding me in my wing mirror let alone facing it straight on

Followup to my retards with HIDZZZZZ

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

Ebay headlights are terrible car poo poo. .......eclipse

How did you think this was gonna go with ebay headlights for a car like that?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I warned him it was a dumb idea then, he still did it. But I'm not gonna leave a buddy stranded due to his poor automotive and life decisions. :colbert:

Though, I will admit that they do look fabulous on the car when working properly.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Krakkles posted:

I wonder if there's a clear reference somewhere for [x] car / brand uses [y] sizes. I know when I was putting my Jeep together, I spent about a year working on it, and spent a fair amount of time making sure I had a tool appropriate for every bolt on the thing.

The Mustang I know only because I keep breaking poo poo, so it's slightly less precise, but I still can't think of a single 12mm on it. What car(s) do you have that don't have 13s?

It depends entirely on whether the manufacturer uses ANSI, ISO, DIN, or JIS head fasteners, and also whether they are reduced-head (for tight spaces) or fullsize head fasteners.

Subarus don't have 13s, at all, as far as I know. 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 15.5/16/16.5 if in the rustbelt, 19, and 22 will take apart the whole goddamn car aside from the pinion nuts, I'm not sure what size those are.

Jeeps on the other hand... :aaaaa:
1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 3/4, 1-1/16, 1-1/8, 1-1/4 standard 6 point
1/2 12 point deep 1/2-drive (4.0L head bolts)
tiny E-torx in a few spots (ABS HCU), as well as E12
tamperproof T20 and maybe T15
most normal Torx sizes - seriously, at least T10, T15, T20, T25 or T27 (I think it's 27), at least half of the 30/35/40/45/50/55 sizes (can't remember which) and a loving T60 on some
8, 10, 12 (if you have certain aftermarket brake caliper slide bolts), 13, 15, 16?, 17, 21 (leafspring bolts, LCA bolts), 22 (O2 sensor), 30 (early tcase fill/drain), 36 (axle nuts) metric 6 point
10mm 12 point for A SINGLE BOLT on the transfer case, when all the other ones like it with the same thread pitch doing the same job are simple 15mm 6 points, por que? BECAUSE gently caress YOU
13mm 12 point
phillips
10mm allen (late tcase fill/drain)
sometimes a 9/16 allen (oil filter adapter if it's not a regular hex or a T60)
5/16 (not 3/8, oh no, that'd be too nice) square drive for the coolant drain on the block, 3/8 square drive (aka ratchet extension) for diff fill plugs
jesus clip remover for coolant hoses
3/8 *and* 5/16 QC tools for fuel and trans lines
3/8 and in some cases 7/16 and 1/2 flare nuts as well just for shits and giggles

That's about all I can think of :spergin:

DiggityDoink posted:

For terrible mechanical stuff, my motorcycle has a 13/64ths 12 point bolt for the brake calipers.

Sure it isn't a 5mm 12 point? 5mm works out to 196.85 thousandths, 13/64ths is 203.13. Even on a fastener that small, 6.3 thousandths is unlikely to have much of an impact, especially 12 point.

Gorilla Salad posted:

When I was at uni, I worked at a petrol station and actually had people try this. Also, plastic milk bottles. Glass bottles. 2L Coke bottles. The watering cans we had out for customers to clean their car. Old 50 gallon fertiliser drums. Pretty much everything except approved fuel containers.

And every single one got so goddamn lovely when we told them it was unsafe and illegal to fill them.

Never work any job which involves dealing with the public.

Right after I bought the Justy, I forgot to put my wallet in my pocket on my way out the door and didn't realize until I was leaving work at 1AM, way after anyone else was in the building. The gas gauge was less reliable than a politician's word in the 2016 primaries, and I had 70 miles to go. Made it most of the way home, ran out of gas a mile or so past the last reststop on the mass pike before my exit. No gas can with me. So I walked the mile back to the last rest stop, the guy working the counter took pity on me and let me pump 49 cents (that was all that would fit) of gas into a loving soda cup for free and wished me luck. I walked my dumb rear end back to the car (halfway back the lid to the soda cup collapsed and turned into a jellylike mass, but the cup held strong fortunately) and put it in my tank, that got me as far as coasting into the first 24 hour station I could find on my way home, where the clerk gave zero fucks and I fortunately found 36 cents under the seats and in the ashtrays. That got me the rest of the way home, barely.

It was entirely illegal and definitely not a good idea, but I was kinda hosed otherwise. And now I know that some soda cups will hold gasoline for at least 10min or so. 2L bottles will too (I learned this doing redneck things!) and so will polyethylene milk jugs (also learned this doing redneck things.) :banjo:

Enourmo posted:

Timing belts at least have some advantage (NVH), there is literally nothing about drums that makes them worth the hassle. They're heavier (both unsprung and rotating mass), don't handle extended braking as well, are harder to service, and iirc they're not even cheaper than discs anymore; they exist solely to maintain discs as an aspirational, higher-margin "option" on pickups and budget cars, and even the former increasingly has 4 wheel discs standard.

Also lol 30 minutes a wheel is "easy", compared with discs which are like 10 minutes max if you gotta un-sieze the rotor hat.

Oh calm down, I used to hate drum brakes in the rust belt and now I don't. I can do most regular size ones in like 15min a corner and honestly drum weight vs disc weight is not that far off, I'm not even sure which weighs more. Yes, they have more rotational inertia, but they also have all the brake torque applied further out than a disc brake, thus Audi's horrible invention, UFO brakes. I do most drum brakes with a pair of visegrips on the spring and my leatherman for the shoe hold-down clip nut thingies.

DiggityDoink posted:

Terrible bike stuff part 2. I went to DMV to try and solve the bike registration problem. They said I'm hosed like you guys all said I was gonna be but then they wouldn't even refund the 200 bucks I paid to register it AND even if I register it in another state and put more than 7500 miles on it, I'm banned from trying to register it again.

gently caress them in the ear, that's horseshit. I guess if they don't want you registering it there it's time to register it in NV, OR, or MT. Wanna go halfsies on 1/64th of an acre of land in bufijistan MT so we can register all our hoopties there on permanent plates?

Related: How are smog laws in WA? I know there's no real safety inspection basically, but I'm not sure if smog is by-county and what's involved in getting non-OBD2 cars passed and/or getting OBD2 cars passed. Hoping it's done by county not the whole state. We might be heading for the Seattle outskirts in 2-5 years and I want to figure out how I'm going to register my shitheap fleet ahead of time.

Drum-in-hat is often a horrible shitfest though... never doing ebrakes on a 96-01 Explorer again.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
http://www.emissiontestwa.com/e/faq.aspx#3

This will tell you what counties test and what vehicles.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Stolen from reddit:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Of course florida.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

iwentdoodie posted:

Of course florida.

Anywhere cold and that is instantly recognized as a fake by even the most clueless of people.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Bajaha posted:

Anywhere cold and that is instantly recognized as a fake by even the most clueless of people.

I have seen many dual exhaust cars that dont leak steam out of one side of the exhaust. Grand prixs are one. Most gms from the mid 2000 era have dual exhaust and it only steams out of one pipe.

In terrible car stuff this exhuast talk reminds me of the guy who had an 02 sunfire in high school that he put dual quad tip exhuast on. It was hilarious sounding and steam only came from one muffler in the winter. To make it better the exhaust shop in stalled the one muffler straight and the other at a crazy bosuko angle.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I'd think that if the pipes aren't done right and properly balanced and such (as in your buddies example), and especially coming off a single manifold or a y-pipe and single pipe to a split at the back, only one side puts out steam because it's the only one actually doing anything -- path of least resistance, and all. Proper duals on a V-engine (i.e., a pipe from each side all the way back) will always steam out both, especially the cheap kits with no crossover pipe.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 21, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

xzzy posted:

Stolen from reddit:

But why?

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

kastein posted:

Subarus don't have 13s, at all, as far as I know. 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 15.5/16/16.5 if in the rustbelt, 19, and 22 will take apart the whole goddamn car aside from the pinion nuts, I'm not sure what size those are.

Same goes for all japanese cars I remember working on, 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 22, largestuff. Outside of that, you'll find 16, 19 and 21 on spark plugs and 17, 19, 21 on lug nuts/bolts. The newer the car the more likelihood of finding Torx (which for small stuff is awesome).
European (or at least German+Swedish) cars tend to have 13 and 15 instead of 12 and 14, and the occasional allen-hex-head. Also goes for anything you replace with off-the-shelf bolts/nuts. Henceforth, my MX-5 has exactly one 13mm bolt (power steering tensioner) and two 15mm bolts+nuts (left rear sway bar droplink).

Then there's British and US cars which are all LOLFUCKYOU. Sometimes seems like the factories just have large buckets of random bolts, and whatever fits will do.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rhyno posted:

But why?

Some people have a weird fixation on things being symmetrical and have to have two exhaust tips. It was a big thing on the Focus specific forums back in the mid-2000s.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein posted:

It was entirely illegal and definitely not a good idea, but I was kinda hosed otherwise. And now I know that some soda cups will hold gasoline for at least 10min or so. 2L bottles will too (I learned this doing redneck things!) and so will polyethylene milk jugs (also learned this doing redneck things.) :banjo:

OTOH, milk jugs definitely will not hold Dexcool that's been marinating in an engine for 100k. Though I did leave it in the garage for a few days..

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

ionn posted:

Same goes for all japanese cars I remember working on, 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 22, largestuff. Outside of that, you'll find 16, 19 and 21 on spark plugs and 17, 19, 21 on lug nuts/bolts. The newer the car the more likelihood of finding Torx (which for small stuff is awesome).
European (or at least German+Swedish) cars tend to have 13 and 15 instead of 12 and 14, and the occasional allen-hex-head. Also goes for anything you replace with off-the-shelf bolts/nuts. Henceforth, my MX-5 has exactly one 13mm bolt (power steering tensioner) and two 15mm bolts+nuts (left rear sway bar droplink).

Then there's British and US cars which are all LOLFUCKYOU. Sometimes seems like the factories just have large buckets of random bolts, and whatever fits will do.
Euro cars are probably mostly DIN metric, so that makes sense at least. Japanese cars (Subaru in my example, plus the ones you have worked on) mostly stick with JIS metric. Isn't it great? :downs:

Also I forgot one, jeeps commonly use 18mm on a few fasteners I can think of. Namely XJ front swaybar link mounting nuts at the axle end.

some texas redneck posted:

OTOH, milk jugs definitely will not hold Dexcool that's been marinating in an engine for 100k. Though I did leave it in the garage for a few days..

Kinda surprised TBH. Polyethylene is right up there at the top of the nonfluorinated plastics chemical resistance list, especially if it's highly crosslinked (at which point it becomes PEX instead of HDPE/LDPE.)

e: :wtf::lol: Fuckin' Mack is retarded about how they build their garbage + cement trucks apparently.

kastein fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 21, 2016

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

EKDS5k posted:

Reminds me of this thread from 10 years ago.
A guy imported a Golf Rallye (was basically the R32 15 years before VW made the R32) to NY State ahead of the 25 year rule, got caught and was ordered to crush it. He stripped the shell of the euro-only parts that made it unique and brought it to the DMV inspection station:

He may as well have drilled the rivets off the VIN plate and mailed it in.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

kastein posted:

e: :wtf::lol: Fuckin' Mack is retarded about how they build their garbage + cement trucks apparently.

:psypop:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
This happened a few cars down from me and scared the poo poo out of me.

I've got TE37s on my car. I'm hoping they saw the spline drive lugs and said nope, nope, nope. Should I be worried they might come back? It seems more likely those thieves are interested in wheels they can flip quickly and they wouldn't be stupid enough to try it in the same place twice, right?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well they're thieves so by definition they're not smart and you can't predict them at all.

So get a camera on your ride.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

My dashcam helped our neighbor at work find a guy who stole his ladder. It's the first time I've had to use it but I'm pretty happy.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

I'm not quite sure about this one. The construction wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I'm not quite sure about this one. The construction wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either.

It's relatively common around here. Guy needs a flatbed-ish rig for (reasons), orders a pickup without the box, bulids flatbed-ish thing himself.
Usually, it's lawn care guys or masonry or whatever kinda trades where they can load or unload from the sides easily.

The tail lights set up looks iffy, though.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Usually when I see that up in the rustbelt it's awfully constructed and was done because the bed rusted to oblivion, they took it off, then realized that good condition beds aren't cheap and built something at home depot.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

dee eight posted:

It's relatively common around here. Guy needs a flatbed-ish rig for (reasons), orders a pickup without the box, bulids flatbed-ish thing himself.
Usually, it's lawn care guys or masonry or whatever kinda trades where they can load or unload from the sides easily.

The tail lights set up looks iffy, though.

I see it a lot around me as well. Usually around me its fishermen who have to haul lobster pots and poo poo like that and don't need the sides of the bed because they can fit more pots on the truck if it's a flatbed. The tail light set up is usually pretty iffy on all of 'em that I see too.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

There is something incredibly similar to this rolling around central Indiana but it's a Ford Focus and they grafted a port-a-potty to the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Pontiac logo means it must be a joke, right?

Or at least tongue in cheek.

Or maybe the owner just got tired of people calling it an Aztec and decided to own it.