Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Shath Hole posted:

I get your point, but I also think passing over the statistics of large city homicides on the rise because it doesn't fit the narrative is also a wee bit naive don't you think?

e: Anyway, sorry I got us off on a derail. Just saw this graphic and found it interesting and pretty well highlights why Kaep is doing this.

I don't think anyone is saying the crime in these cities isn't an issue. But the rise in violent crime in Chicago is frequently used as a talking point to say that the US is not a safe place, or that black on black crime is the real problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

This is not how I imagined this would go for Colin when he started this mess, but here we are. He's become unironic clipboard Jesus.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Imagine reading this article right after the Riley Cooper news broke, when Chip kept him on the team.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

MrSargent posted:

I don't think anyone is saying the crime in these cities isn't an issue. But the rise in violent crime in Chicago is frequently used as a talking point to say that the US is not a safe place, or that black on black crime is the real problem.

Yeah, I hear you. And I do get the national vs local statistics, Chicago, St. Louis, etc. =/= Unites States.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The game of football rules and when the players turn out to be awesome off the field like Sherman and Lynch and Kaep my love for the game gets even stronger

I mean Kaeps literally a backup to Blaine Gabbert but what he's doing with the position is p remarkable. Too bad he's villianized so much. The fact more than zero black people were killed this week while surrendering is loving atrocious and the idea that creating a dialog about that is unpatriotic is loving bullshit

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Shath Hole posted:

I get your point, but I also think passing over the statistics of large city homicides on the rise because it doesn't fit the narrative is also a wee bit naive don't you think?

e: Anyway, sorry I got us off on a derail. Just saw this graphic and found it interesting and pretty well highlights why Kaep is doing this.

Broken image link?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Chichevache posted:

Imagine reading this article right after the Riley Cooper news broke, when Chip kept him on the team.

He and Sherman are changed men, apparently. Or else just really good at triangulation.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Coldforge posted:

Broken image link?

Dam.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I work with law enforcement at the local, state and federal level every day.

I remember reading a story about people not being hired because they were too smart for law enforcement. I used to think it wasn't true.

Now I know the truth. There are so many stupid people in law enforcement. lol if you aren't terrified.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lol yeah right those 44% ain't doing poo poo

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Lol, 44% of fans aren't going to give up football.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Metapod posted:

If fans are like me, theyre lying in bed during the anthem anyways then twenty minutes later shouting "oh god I'm missing football!"

I cant remember the last time Ive seen an anthem actually play out on tv.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Metapod posted:

Madcosby posted:

If fans are like me, theyre lying in bed during the anthem anyways then twenty minutes later shouting "oh god I'm missing football!"

I cant remember the last time Ive seen an anthem actually play out on tv.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuup. Tbh, the national anthem is usually when I'm taking a piss or restocking snacks for kickoff :(

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Metapod posted:

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Shath Hole posted:

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuup. Tbh, the national anthem is usually when I'm taking a piss or restocking snacks for kickoff :(

ha you fell for it I'm actually standing in front of the tv with my hand on my chest and possibly my dick out

god bless are country love it or leave it scum

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Madcosby posted:

ha you fell for it I'm actually standing in front of the tv with my hand on my chest and possibly my dick out

god bless are country love it or leave it scum

Yea but is your other fist in the air? Step up your anthem game, son

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Chip is still a stupid gimmick coach but that's pretty cool

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
I'm giving up on the NFL as a result of the Kaepernick protests. If no team is brave enough to trade for and start Kaepernick, then the NFL has failed America.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Parmesan Basil posted:

I'm giving up on the NFL as a result of the Kaepernick protests. If no team is brave enough to trade for and start Kaepernick, then the NFL has failed America.

Wait till after the Seahawks game. He may not need to be traded to start.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Ehud posted:

I work with law enforcement at the local, state and federal level every day.

I remember reading a story about people not being hired because they were too smart for law enforcement. I used to think it wasn't true.

Now I know the truth. There are so many stupid people in law enforcement. lol if you aren't terrified.

They didn't hide the court case on this you know. Jordan v. New London, 2000 U.S. App. Lexis 22195 (2d Cir. 2000).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Colin Kaepernick is still a not-very-good QB. I mean, he showed brilliance in his first two seasons but man those flaws outshined. Missing that wide-open Torrey Smith read still sticks out in my mind.

edit: this was in post to the idea that a team would trade for Kaep to start him. I mean, I still he's better than Blaine Gabbert (not hard to be), but I don't think many would want to take on his salary. This is, of course, ignoring the very real fact that NFL execs despise him.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 22, 2016

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
"You know I've watched the idols I grew up watching turn into non functional middle aged men who can barely walk or have severe cognitive issues. I can continue to watch football knowing what these modern day gladiators are doing. Destroying their lives for my entertainment. I can live with that but I swear to GOD if they have an opinion I disagree with I'm loving out" - 44% of NFL fans' line of reasoning.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
They got no where else to go. Baseball doesn't have near the level of violence, hockey too many foreigners and the NBA is full of (looks around cautiously) those kind.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/mr_kevinjones/status/779042688020520960

hahaha this reporter is a complete jackass

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

drat, good job Chip.

Reporter is apparently Lowell Cohn

Hmm, let's look at Cohn's most recent articles:

49ers should have cut Kaepernick
49ers' Colin Kaepernick ignores the contradiction of his outrage

Kalli fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 22, 2016

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
You can just see in Chip's face, he's like "are you loving serious with this question?"

Anyway, Doug Baldwin is using his press conference for more posturing:

https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/779048911960813568/video/1

If you don't wanna watch:

quote:

"As an american black male in this country, I'm suggesting calling -- I'm demanding -- that all 50 state attorney generals call for a review of their policies and training policies for police and law enforcement," Baldwin said in a prepared statement, "to eliminate militaristic cultures while putting a higher emphasis on de-escalation tactics and crisis-management measures."

"We know that there's a select few -- a very minute few -- of law enforcement who are not abiding by those laws and policies," he said. "We also know that there are laws and policies that are in place that are not correcting the issue that we have in our society right now."

Maybe this time he can actually take a knee during the anthem.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
http://www.theonion.com/article/black-man-blissfully-unaware-his-name-going-be-has-53993 :stonklol:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Jesus Christ

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Lowell and Grant Cohn are human garbage piles

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Chip Kelly is quickly becoming a favorite of mine.

Never thought I'd write that again.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Mods, please change my name to local black man, tia

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Lowell Cohn: "I'm going to make a statement about Colin Kaepernick in the form of a question"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Spoeank posted:

Lowell Cohn: "I'm going to make a statement about Colin Kaepernick in the form of a question"

"Mr. Kelly, can you describe him as "uppity" for my column?"

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Chichevache posted:

"Mr. Kelly, can you describe him as "uppity" for my column?"

"Only off the record"

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Chip Kelly onboard is one of the last people I'd expect. Good job Colin

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

"Then we have a fundamental disagreement, then!"

"... Well, I'm the coach of this NFL team and you're some jackass with a badge and a recorder... Do you have any questions about... I don't know... fuckin' football coming anytime soon?"

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

SON OF A BITCH!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

"Then we have a fundamental disagreement, then!"

"... Well, I'm the coach of this NFL team and you're some jackass with a badge and a recorder... Do you have any questions about... I don't know... fuckin' football coming anytime soon?"

It'd be pretty great if Kelly had ended that by saying, "so you want players to refuse questions not related to football and yet you want me to focus on this non-football related question?"

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

It'd be pretty great if Kelly had ended that by saying, "so you want players to refuse questions not related to football and yet you want me to focus on this non-football related question?"

Yeah, that would have been a great zinger and like half the press in the room would have cheered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

I love the Onion.

• Locked thread