Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
Will this make you guys feel better?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Berserk/comments/53r315/berserk_manga_episode_347_megathread/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Maybe it would be better to release a chapter every 3 months so we'd still get 4 chapters/year and he could work in a more sane way all year instead of going full work during some months and then on hiatus the rest o the year

At least we'd have some kind of schedule :negative:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Any show that would do this does not deserve your time.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It would have been redeemed if they retconned Nina's survial

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It would have been redeemed if they retconned Nina's survial

Just you wait. She's going to come back, and she's going to be ridiculously hardcore. Her, Jill, and Therese are going to show up midway through obliterating a Falconian Apostle regiment or something.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I watched the whole season. It was okay, they nailed a few aspects, though at its best it mainly just served to remind me how evocative the imagery from the manga is. But still, I think the show had improved quite a bit by the end. Though for all the animation fuckups, the moment that bothers me the most is probably when they decided to interrupt the (really well-executed) silent portion of Griffith's return with a fuckin sikk guitar riff.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I just can't believe they had Hirasawa write two songs for the show, Ash Crow clearly for the climax and they play buttrock for when Griffith is revived and Ash Crow when Nina fucks off with Joachim. :wtc:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Does Hirasawa like Berserk enough to put even a small amount of effort into songs for it? Or is that just a formality of the series that his work should be included at any given time?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Here's a silly question --- I think I just skipped a groove or something --- but why is Guts spending so much time on Casca? I mean, would this be safely categorized as "unhealthy holding onto the past"?

As someone else quantified, Casca hasn't been herself since book 13. In thinking through this, I got to the point of remembering that Guts was living for himself in Lost Children, and it wasn't really until Casca wandered off from the cave that Guts "realized too late that he lost something without having realized it". Then he drags Casca around because he's the only one that can protect her. Is it just The Branded sticking together? It wasn't until they got to Flora that it was revealed that maybe she could be healed, right?

Sorry, I just got up this morning and had a big disconnect. What is the motivation here for Guts to get Casca healed after all these intervening events?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's because he still loves her OP

Or at least the person she used to be and hopes she can be again.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Here's a silly question --- I think I just skipped a groove or something --- but why is Guts spending so much time on Casca? I mean, would this be safely categorized as "unhealthy holding onto the past"?

As someone else quantified, Casca hasn't been herself since book 13. In thinking through this, I got to the point of remembering that Guts was living for himself in Lost Children, and it wasn't really until Casca wandered off from the cave that Guts "realized too late that he lost something without having realized it". Then he drags Casca around because he's the only one that can protect her. Is it just The Branded sticking together? It wasn't until they got to Flora that it was revealed that maybe she could be healed, right?

Sorry, I just got up this morning and had a big disconnect. What is the motivation here for Guts to get Casca healed after all these intervening events?

Gee I dunno maybe he wants a person to love to be cured of her PTSD-induced mental retardation?
Also wandering around alone with nothing driving him but killing Apostles is what formed that Helldog in his psyche, that's always going to be there, urging him to use the Behelit, sacrifice Casca, and dehumanize himself and face to bloodshed.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Puck suggests heading back to his hometown to get Casca healed when they set out the first time

When guts was living for himself and just muderfacing apostles he realizes that his rage was just a way for him to avoid dealing with his sorrow, and moreover that he was gonna snap and break at some point if he kept it up. thats what gives him the resolve to devote himself to casca for real

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Berserk is good because it's about an 80s-early 90s edgelord, why he became an edgelord, and his journey to slowly stop being an edgelord.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Crabtree posted:

Does Hirasawa like Berserk enough to put even a small amount of effort into songs for it? Or is that just a formality of the series that his work should be included at any given time?

I don't know how much he likes Berserk, but considering he consistently agrees to write new songs when they come knocking, remade some existing Berserk songs for his album and they're always great, I'd assume he puts a good deal of effort into them.

If he didn't, it would reflect poorly on him as an artist and he wouldn't get work though, so it's kind of moot as a whole in a way.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Love, you goon

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

you're right that is a silly question

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I mean, did you read the golden age arc? Or watch the old anime or the films?

Guts loves Casca and wants her to be happy and have her mind back. Right after the eclipse he abandoned her in the cave for many reasons, but now that there's hope that she can be saved he's gonna do everything he can to make it happen. Because he loves her.

It could not possibly be more straightforward.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Guts grew up having basically nothing but Gambino until he found the Band of the Hawk and it wasn't really until then that he actually learned what it was like to have anything good in his life. This is a really obvious thing, but if you've never had anything you care about, you don't care if you lose anything. If you finally get something that means the world to you and lose it, even if that means you go back to the same nothing you had before, that's a huge loving deal. In a very real sense, losing everything you care for will gently caress you up big time. That's why he wanted to leave the Hawks in the first place, because he knew that losing them in death would crush him.

One of the reasons that Berserk is good is that beneath everything "controversial", the angst, the edge, Guts is a loving superbly written human. It makes absolutely perfect sense that after eclipse, thinking he'd lost Casca in all but the fact her body is alive that he'd gently caress off for two years being as nihilistic and self destructive. It also makes absolute perfect sense having realised what matters most to him, Casca, not avenging her, just her as a person, that he'd fight like a rabid dog to protect her. In a truly literal sense, the entire world wants Guts dead but the only thing that he knew loved him was Casca. And that's why when he breaks in the forest and tries to rape her, it's tragic in both it's the last thing in the world Casca would ever want and that it means that now, even Casca hates him. I seriously hate the panels where Guts looks at her and she gets angry and wary of him, it's heartbreaking.

The recent chapters made a point of it that Guts has spent all this time putting Griffith on a backburner because his need to avenge the Band of the Hawk is secondary to him because, for now at least, Casca is his reason to live. There's nothing unhealthily holding onto the past about it. Rather, I'd say that Guts trying anything he can to heal Casca is more about securing a future for himself and the one person who he lives for.

The new followers he has and their great camaraderie do sort of detract in a sense for the reader the importance that Casca has, because she and Griffith are not the only people who see his softer side anymore, but it doesn't detract from it on a character sense.

Or as Begemot says, you can really just sum it up as: Guts needs Casca because he loves her.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
That was a good post, and I basically agree with it. I would argue, though, that a large part of why Guts left the Hawks is because of Griffith's speech about friendship and the Bonfire of Dreams. The way Griffith framed it, he can only truly be friends with someone who fights for their own dream, even if that meant fighting him. That, followed by the subsequent battles, took the wind out of Guts' sails and made him question what he was doing. And it gave him a way out. He would leave, to peruse his own dream, because he wanted to consider Griffith his friend. His equal.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 22, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guts grew up having basically nothing but Gambino until he found the Band of the Hawk and it wasn't really until then that he actually learned what it was like to have anything good in his life. This is a really obvious thing, but if you've never had anything you care about, you don't care if you lose anything. If you finally get something that means the world to you and lose it, even if that means you go back to the same nothing you had before, that's a huge loving deal. In a very real sense, losing everything you care for will gently caress you up big time. That's why he wanted to leave the Hawks in the first place, because he knew that losing them in death would crush him.

One of the reasons that Berserk is good is that beneath everything "controversial", the angst, the edge, Guts is a loving superbly written human. It makes absolutely perfect sense that after eclipse, thinking he'd lost Casca in all but the fact her body is alive that he'd gently caress off for two years being as nihilistic and self destructive. It also makes absolute perfect sense having realised what matters most to him, Casca, not avenging her, just her as a person, that he'd fight like a rabid dog to protect her. In a truly literal sense, the entire world wants Guts dead but the only thing that he knew loved him was Casca. And that's why when he breaks in the forest and tries to rape her, it's tragic in both it's the last thing in the world Casca would ever want and that it means that now, even Casca hates him. I seriously hate the panels where Guts looks at her and she gets angry and wary of him, it's heartbreaking.

The recent chapters made a point of it that Guts has spent all this time putting Griffith on a backburner because his need to avenge the Band of the Hawk is secondary to him because, for now at least, Casca is his reason to live. There's nothing unhealthily holding onto the past about it. Rather, I'd say that Guts trying anything he can to heal Casca is more about securing a future for himself and the one person who he lives for.

The new followers he has and their great camaraderie do sort of detract in a sense for the reader the importance that Casca has, because she and Griffith are not the only people who see his softer side anymore, but it doesn't detract from it on a character sense.

Or as Begemot says, you can really just sum it up as: Guts needs Casca because he loves her.

Mind you, I can very easily see them failing to rekindle their relationship once she's got their sanity back. They're both in very different places now. I suspect the Skull Knight was hinting at that, and it'll mean Guts has to face the fact that he's just done an unambiguously good thing, but one that he, personally, does not benefit from as much as he thought he might.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I doubt that makes one bit of difference to Guts, though. He's not doing it so that they can be together again, he's doing it to help Casca.

The bigger fear is that she'd actually be happier staying as she is than getting her sanity back. That makes it a harder decision, but even then he got her to the safety of another elf home. That was half the point.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't really know how I want the treatment to work out for her honestly.

While I do want her to regain her memory and become an asskicker once more, I don't know if that's the best thing for her even if she does want it back herself. The stakes are considerably higher now than the Golden Age in terms of enemies. I kind of do and don't want her to remember what Guts did but also how he's given everything and tries his best to protect her from his darkest side even though it crushes him to do so too.

I think the best outcome might actually be that is if she doesn't want to get her sanity back and just wants to live as she is that there's some way she can communicate that to Guts personally through the Flowerstorm King and that Guts accepts that despite it being the opposite of what he wants on a personal level, even though her safety is important to him.

That said, Griffith is totally coming to Elfhelm at somepoint, so she's not going to be safe there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Begemot posted:

I doubt that makes one bit of difference to Guts, though. He's not doing it so that they can be together again, he's doing it to help Casca.

The bigger fear is that she'd actually be happier staying as she is than getting her sanity back. That makes it a harder decision, but even then he got her to the safety of another elf home. That was half the point.

I'm not entirely sure. It does feel like he's pinned quite a bit of his happiness and sanity to her becoming exactly the ways she was before the Eclipse, his lover and a superb officer. I feel that if she does come back as a different person who isn't either one or both of those things, it'll be a bit of a blow.

Basically, his motives have never felt entirely altruistic to me - he's saving her in part so that she can save him, and that feels like an unhealthy crutch that he's going to have to discard (by, for instance, allowing her to grow and be her own person, even if she's not the same person) in order to continue his development.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm not entirely sure. It does feel like he's pinned quite a bit of his happiness and sanity to her becoming exactly the ways she was before the Eclipse, his lover and a superb officer. I feel that if she does come back as a different person who isn't either one or both of those things, it'll be a bit of a blow.

Basically, his motives have never felt entirely altruistic to me - he's saving her in part so that she can save him, and that feels like an unhealthy crutch that he's going to have to discard (by, for instance, allowing her to grow and be her own person, even if she's not the same person) in order to continue his development.

Having just reviewed the sequence where Guts leaves the Hawks, this characterization of Guts' motivations pretty strikingly echoes Caska's thoughts when Griffith is dueling Guts. She wanted Griffith to win so that everything could be just like it was. It didn't happen then, and I very much doubt it's going to happen now.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

I don't really know how I want the treatment to work out for her honestly.

Perhaps give her back her sanity, but not all of her memories? Give her back the ability to take care of herself, but her mind collapsed for a reason after the Eclipse. It's probably not a good thing to have her remember and relive all of that.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Having just reviewed the sequence where Guts leaves the Hawks, this characterization of Guts' motivations pretty strikingly echoes Caska's thoughts when Griffith is dueling Guts. She wanted Griffith to win so that everything could be just like it was. It didn't happen then, and I very much doubt it's going to happen now.

You may be into something here.

The serie is long due another major source of conflict, and i can't think of anything more personal and hearthbreaking than Caska regaining her own sense of "self", just to be something entirely different than Guts imagined, or hoped.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Bingo. Guts leaving the Band of the Hawk so that he could develop on his own and become Griffith's equal was an incredibly healthy thing for him to do, and a vital part of his growth. It was Griffith's incredibly unhealthy reaction to it that caused everything to go straight to hell. If Guts is going to surpass his old buddy, he needs to learn when to let go.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
It's the good birbserk time again, for the last time, for a time

Berserk #347

Torrent later, etc.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
aaaaaaaand hiatus.

becrumbac
Apr 25, 2012
That was such a good chapter.

I think the hiatus is causing me physical pain.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

There it is. The last bit of levity (holy poo poo Mozgus bwahaha). If that last page didn't tip you off already... THINGS ARE GONNA GET GRIM

...early 2017, I guess

gently caress

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
It occurred to me that visiting the site of the Eclipse, which is deep in the astral realm, in a dream, which is a shallower astral plane, while on Elf Island, which also exists in the astral realm, might not be a good idea. It might, in fact, be The Worst Idea.

EDIT: Yep, definite, lingering sensation that all the talk of different methods used to access different depths of the astral planes a couple of chapters ago might be building up to Very Not Good Things.

EDIT 2: The God Hand are, if not masters of, at least better at handling the flow of causality than most, and Skull Knight's actions have been proven to be firmly within the confines of destiny. If his rescue of Casca from the Eclipse was engineered as a backdoor into Elfhelm...

LordMune fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 22, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Man, Elf Island got really lucky with its monarch. :unsmith:

I guess the healing process is going to be superpowered therapy, then? That definitely suggests that we're going to get a full, healthy recovery that pulls Casca away from Guts.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
:can: Sorry for asking such a derpy question, but some of you hit on the notions I was having. Will post a bit more on how I got to the point of questioning... later, when I'm not on a bus.

What if Casca can't be healed because flower king demands some payment? Guts gets pissed and kills them all. Griffith shows up and says Thanks. Puck uses the Behelit to stop Guts from killing his brothers/sister. :razz:

I need to read the most recent chapter before giving Casca some serious thought time.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Good chapter, it will be a tough wait. Think this analysis of Farnese is interesting in context of these new developments: https://www.reddit.com/r/Berserk/comments/4zq042/farnese_analysis_the_wild_card/

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Two ideas:

1)Hiatus means poo poo is going to get loving bleak, which while not surprising given where they're going it's still going to give me whiplash after a chapter like this.

2)I........I hate this man and the addiction he has inflicted upon me. Draw worse and faster, god drat you.:smithicide:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Surprisingly Dope posted:

Good chapter, it will be a tough wait. Think this analysis of Farnese is interesting in context of these new developments: https://www.reddit.com/r/Berserk/comments/4zq042/farnese_analysis_the_wild_card/

Cool.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Surprisingly Dope posted:

I think that it accurately identifies a potential source of conflict in our two witches' quest to heal Casca, but I think I have a more positive view of Farnese than whoever wrote that, and a more positive opinion of how things are likely to turn out. Quite apart from the purely mechanical argument that this seems like the story's one shot at healing Casca and moving us on to a new, interesting conflict (which requires Farnese and Schierke to succeed), I'd argue that Farnese is considerably more self-aware and has a considerably better support network than Griffith, and that her previous behaviour, while pretty unpleasant, had much more obvious ties to her environment than Griffith's did, and there's plenty of indications that she's genuinely come a long way since then, even if she carries her baggage with her.

Her jealousy of Casca may be another problem to throw on the rescue mission's pile, but it feels surmountable.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Torquemadras posted:

(holy poo poo Mozgus bwahaha)

I almost wasn't sure if that was really what I thought it was, but holy poo poo that was really funny.

Also, that last page was some ominous poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

becrumbac
Apr 25, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I think that it accurately identifies a potential source of conflict in our two witches' quest to heal Casca, but I think I have a more positive view of Farnese than whoever wrote that, and a more positive opinion of how things are likely to turn out. Quite apart from the purely mechanical argument that this seems like the story's one shot at healing Casca and moving us on to a new, interesting conflict (which requires Farnese and Schierke to succeed), I'd argue that Farnese is considerably more self-aware and has a considerably better support network than Griffith, and that her previous behaviour, while pretty unpleasant, had much more obvious ties to her environment than Griffith's did, and there's plenty of indications that she's genuinely come a long way since then, even if she carries her baggage with her.

Her jealousy of Casca may be another problem to throw on the rescue mission's pile, but it feels surmountable.

It 100% depends on how Casca sees/reacts to Farnese. Casca with her memories back isn't going to be terribly impressed with Guts, especially if she realises he ran off for two years to swing his sword around trying to die on some battlefield.

I don't think Miura would turn Farnese into an apostle anyway. She's already been a villan, she's had a whole arc where slowly finds her own strength. I'm guessing the conclusion to this is Farnese realising her own strength and using that to pull Casca out and back into the world. The whole 'I have a role in protecting Casca' arc seems to be aiming for an endgame where Farnese and Casca form a strong bond through that.

Maybe Casca will dump Guts for Farnese! That'd be entertaining.

What will be interesting is how Schrieke/Farnese/Elf King react to the realities of the Eclipse. Only Puck has any idea of what happened, doesn't he?