Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

kingturnip posted:

The good thing with Blackwater Cocktails is that they stack. So if a horde is approaching, you can drop a few and they'll go down fast. Or, if it's one of those mobs/bosses that spawns in a particular place, you can drop a few while he's spawning to deal a crapload of damage.

Also important to note is that resist reduction, which Cocktail gives, is god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

kingturnip posted:

The good thing with Blackwater Cocktails is that they stack. So if a horde is approaching, you can drop a few and they'll go down fast. Or, if it's one of those mobs/bosses that spawns in a particular place, you can drop a few while he's spawning to deal a crapload of damage.

Like Diablo 2's Firewall, nice.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
If you ever find yourself in possession of The Guillotine, do yourself a favor and build a Bleed Warder around it. It's...fantastic.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Did I gently caress up by picking soldier as my secondary if I am making a lightning god melee shaman thing? Right now the only soldier skills I am using are defensive in nature (fighting spirit, menhir's will, military conditioning), and all the crazy gifs in the OP are using arcanist stuff. I'm level 43 and using Alvarick's Rebuke with savagery and all the modifiers and devouring swarm for health, Tsunami/Owl/Fox/Tempest for devotion.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

BurritoJustice posted:

Did I gently caress up by picking soldier as my secondary if I am making a lightning god melee shaman thing? Right now the only soldier skills I am using are defensive in nature (fighting spirit, menhir's will, military conditioning), and all the crazy gifs in the OP are using arcanist stuff. I'm level 43 and using Alvarick's Rebuke with savagery and all the modifiers and devouring swarm for health, Tsunami/Owl/Fox/Tempest for devotion.

Most of the lightning god things are built on Warders I think. Also there's Grim Dawn Defiler for undoing poo poo if you don't mind a bit of 'cheating'.

How accurate is Grim Dawn's DPS? A lot of the builds I see videos for have relatively low(2-3k) as compared to mine:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

BurritoJustice posted:

No. I'm 40 with this and it's the most overpowered I've ever been. Plan for soldier is to just get blitz, passives, and eventually field command and squad tactics. The most important thing is to get kraken constellation--it pretty much doubled my damage per second. Combined with the arbiter relic and things are getting out of hand.

Maybe it suddenly becomes bad after veteran, but I don't really care since everything after veteran is really boring anyway.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

it doesn't consider other sources of damage, like devotion/item procs, nor does it consider crits (I think)

for some builds it's an OK gauge on how strong an autoattack is, for other builds it means nothing

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Digirat posted:

No. I'm 40 with this and it's the most overpowered I've ever been. Plan for soldier is to just get blitz, passives, and eventually field command and squad tactics. The most important thing is to get kraken constellation--it pretty much doubled my damage per second. Combined with the arbiter relic and things are getting out of hand.

Maybe it suddenly becomes bad after veteran, but I don't really care since everything after veteran is really boring anyway.

How do you heal? My savagery shaman is kept alive by feral hunger.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Wendigo totem, potions, and beating the poo poo out of everything too fast for it to matter

If you can get anything that converts attack damage to health that makes a huge different too

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Agean90 posted:

decided to give my demolitionist occultist. As fun as bullet hell mode looks, im bad at planning out builds in the long term and giving people EbolAIDS then mercy killing them with a rotating cannon sounds like it will give me more immediat enjoyment.

Is it me or is the molotov skill kinda bad? Between flashbang giving everyone it hits at least one debuff and curse of weakness compounding that the debuff the molotov gives never really sees use and the damage is piddly.

edit: oh yeah, and electro jacks rock, i would set as my primary attack if I could

Blackwater cocktail pulses damage over time as long as mobs are in it. Linking this to a devotion ability ends up being nuts later on, and if you take all the blackwater skills, it does additional chaos damage and debuffs the mobs inside it. It's been my primary skill since the beginning and I'm clearing ultimate with it.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

BurritoJustice posted:

Warder's the way to go:

https://giant.gfycat.com/ComplexVacantBovine.mp4
Gotta trade Savagery for Primal Strike for max lightning, though.

edit: also, get arcane bomb (Widow devotion).

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

This is my build right now

Please tear it apart as I am totally new to the game. My weapon is Alvarick's Rebuke with a lodestone in it and all my gear is +lightning +phys +health regen if possible. I'm spamming devouring swarm as my source of health. I'm happy to use a third party program to respec if I need to

E: Also is it just me or does this game crash a LOT, every couple hours for me.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Sep 12, 2016

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

seravid posted:

Warder's the way to go:

I want all the info for that character... :)

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Magus42 posted:

The info is full Ultos set, mostly, I think

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Oh man, You use ER for your main skills?

Sounds like what I need as the clicking fatigue is killing my right pointer., how do you move though?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

BurritoJustice posted:

This is my build right now

Please tear it apart as I am totally new to the game. My weapon is Alvarick's Rebuke with a lodestone in it and all my gear is +lightning +phys +health regen if possible. I'm spamming devouring swarm as my source of health. I'm happy to use a third party program to respec if I need to

E: Also is it just me or does this game crash a LOT, every couple hours for me.

Savagery is the better skill and allows WPS like Feral Hunder and Upheaval, but if you want to be a lightning god you'll need Primal Strike (with Thunderous Strike). Consider Wendigo Totem for healing. Field Command and Squad Tactics (Soldier) are great, too. And one point in Blitz for mobility because Warders are slow as hell.
Regarding devotions, max Kraken ASAP and invest heavily in resist reduction. I think this is still up to date: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10FTm1ewTEhPgj-dhGWci1LV_0rcFC46tQpwoWTVt5Sw/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true

Re. crashes, the only ones I get is when I exit the game. Can't believe they still haven't fixed that.

Magus42 posted:

The Mash posted:

The info is full Ultos set, mostly, I think

The Ultos set helps a lot in Ultimate, but it only contributes one skill to the light show. Everything else is standard Warder stuff.

Current build (with bonuses) : http://grimcalc.com/build/O31oDiU

Cerepol posted:

Oh man, You use ER for your main skills?

Sounds like what I need as the clicking fatigue is killing my right pointer., how do you move though?

Nope, that's L for Left (-click) and R for Right (-click), though your idea should work. Use the key (default A) to move - it's definitely my preferred method.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

seravid posted:

Savagery is the better skill and allows WPS like Feral Hunder and Upheaval

So if I'm using primal strike for all my swings then feral hunger and upheaval won't trigger because primal strike is not considered a default attack?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Digirat posted:

So if I'm using primal strike for all my swings then feral hunger and upheaval won't trigger because primal strike is not considered a default attack?

Yep. The tooltip for the Primal Strike upgrade specifically mentions it.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

What components do you guys use for weapons? I'm playing a warder, so I went with the Severed Claw for brutal slam, but currently I've got Brutal Slam(component), Blitz(Skill), and Abolish Evil(helmet), in addition to primal strike for my primary. All 3 are fairly low recharge(3.5,3.8,3.5) so I'm having trouble juggling using all of them efficiently. Should I stick with the Severed Claw, or is there a better component for weapons?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Do the drop rates for rare components increase later on? I'm level 40 and I've found a relic that requires a bunch of other relics and rare components to make. At my current rate of finding them I imagine I could finish it sometime around Christmas.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Cynic Jester posted:

Do the drop rates for rare components increase later on? I'm level 40 and I've found a relic that requires a bunch of other relics and rare components to make. At my current rate of finding them I imagine I could finish it sometime around Christmas.

That's why you can trade with other people. Have you started getting duplicate relic blueprints when you still don't have all the lowest level ones unlocked? :suicide:

Also: don't forget to get all the component recipes from the various factions. I hadn't realized that the Rovers have the blueprint for vengeful wrath, for example.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Cynic Jester posted:

Specific components have higher drop rates off certain mobs. You can do find suggestions or spreadsheets to guide you. Or use a trainer to turn off components to craft. Or trade.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

seravid posted:

Warder's the way to go:

Looks cool! I approve!

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

I got this game last Sunday and beat it last night. Took 72 hours exploring every nook and cranny. Ugh.

Decided to jump into multiplayer with a new character. Is the Steam group still active? I joined it but the GD multiplayer interface doesn't seem to show active Steam group members - just friends.

Probably the best bet is asking if anyone in the thread is looking for a group to do a complete playthrough with.

You can just make a public game and will probably have people join it, and you can also join other people's public games.

Because this isn't an MMO, most players are like you in that they play through the game once or a few times and then move on. But it seems that at any given time there's at least a couple goons probably looking to play through the game. Just ask if anyone's interested.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Talkc posted:

Played this for like 3 hours tonight. So far my design of demolitionist occultist, where i just activate buffs and familiar and then left click my way to victory seems to be working and is oddly satisfying.

Demo gets some pretty good auras.

Not sure what's your left click, but this may treat you right: http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Greater_Fireblast_(Granted_by_Item)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is a build based around the conflagration relic's ability viable or does it not really last? Since it's a channeled ability with a lot of base damage it looks like something you could use similarly to the aether ray, combined with other fire skills like thermite mine.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Stokes posted:

If you ever find yourself in possession of The Guillotine, do yourself a favor and build a Bleed Warder around it. It's...fantastic.

Talking about Bleed Warders, this Gutripper completely wrecks. Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread.

Notice the lack of cooldown on its proc? For reals.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey fellas, can someone answer this simple question for me? It's not on the first page, and I scanned a few others, but the thread is 60+ pages long so I hope it's okay to ask a question that maaaaay have already been asked...

Does the game have local coop? Girlfriend and I want to sit around on a couch and zombie out. A quick search on the Internet says that it DOES have local coop, but others have said that what it really has is LAN coop, which isn't the same thing. Confirm/deny?

Edit: VVVV gently caress, it seems that in 2013 they said it would have local coop, but that actually was changed a long time ago. I'm dumb at Internet searching.

credburn fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 20, 2016

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I haven't seen anything mentioning local coop or any evidence that it's possible.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Sorry to bump an ancient thread, I've picked up this game and ploughed a bunch of time into a Full Pet Occultist/Shaman.

While it keeps me alive more-or-less forever against literally any combination of enemies my main source of damage seems to be exploding my dog, which is fun but seems like a stupid build. I can see in the Occultist tree that I'm always going to be heading towards Doom Bolt for the -% life(!!) but is there a decent AOE DPS ability in either of the trees I could safely dump points into? Any advice gratefully received.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Evfedu posted:

Sorry to bump an ancient thread, I've picked up this game and ploughed a bunch of time into a Full Pet Occultist/Shaman.

While it keeps me alive more-or-less forever against literally any combination of enemies my main source of damage seems to be exploding my dog, which is fun but seems like a stupid build. I can see in the Occultist tree that I'm always going to be heading towards Doom Bolt for the -% life(!!) but is there a decent AOE DPS ability in either of the trees I could safely dump points into? Any advice gratefully received.

The thread hadn't been posted in for two days, that isn't long-dead. Anyway, the briarthorn has an aoe attack; if you're looking to branch away from pets then Storm Totem would zap a few things, if not strictly aoe. Grasping vines isn't great for pure DPS but it's A+++ at triggering procs, and slowing stuff down so your pets can kill them better. The Grasping Vines / Curse of Frailty combo is both great at that and utterly crippling to packs.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Evfedu posted:

Sorry to bump an ancient thread

:argh:

Don't call this thread ancient! Anyway, thanks for posting! Feel free to post more. :)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyone try any mastery mods? There's a Chinese one that adds four more classes (including an ever-popular necromancer), a slew of related items, and is apparently feature complete as of this week. No clue if it's good and balanced though.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Mordja posted:

Anyone try any mastery mods? There's a Chinese one that adds four more classes (including an ever-popular necromancer), a slew of related items, and is apparently feature complete as of this week. No clue if it's good and balanced though.

Where are they located? Steam workshop?

That's pretty cool I didn't realize modding had gotten to that point beside custom maps. I always liked the custom masteries people made for Titans Quest but they where a pain in the rear end to manage and install.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

BexGu posted:

Where are they located? Steam workshop?

That's pretty cool I didn't realize modding had gotten to that point beside custom maps. I always liked the custom masteries people made for Titans Quest but they where a pain in the rear end to manage and install.

Nah, now workshop support unfortunately. Just check out the forums. The mod in question is NCFF. http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38158

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The problem with the mod masteries, when I tried them, is that they're not very well balanced and, more often than not, require you to have a whole bunch of gear to make them worth using.
There's some fun to be had, I'm just not sure how long-lasting that fun is.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Does +%acid damage affect acid retaliation damage?

What about +%all damage?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

enraged_camel posted:

Does +%acid damage affect acid retaliation damage?

What about +%all damage?

No and No

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

drat, that sucks

does +%poison damage affect the damage of item-granted skills like dreeg's infinite gaze?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
So...is killing that thing in the necropolis the end of the game? Do I just up the difficulty now or something?