Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
Hey, a fellow Portuguese speaker from Sweden. I'm pretty sure I've experienced that weird fake rain, or at least something close to it, down in Torekov or Ängelholm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Bad maps best maps

e: originally phone posted. timg now

Redczar fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 22, 2016

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

come on dude, use timg on that

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
India is a floppy penis of the Eurasian dinosaur-like beast that is trying to hump Africa.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Felchville :stonk:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Texas is wrong, because the correct answer is Lolita.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Uhhhhhh

e: also Gay Head, which is called "Aquinnah" now to "honor the native American heritage," yeah ok.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Here, have a wiki hole to disappear down:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Unusual_place_names

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Once drove past a village in southern England called "Black Boys" which is kind of a weird place name I think.

There's also the municipality in Norway where both of my parents grew up that's kind of locally infamous for having profanity-derived place names, for instance there's Kukktjern (Cock Lake) and Skitttjern (poo poo Lake), Rassballhaugene (rear end Cheek Hills), Lortsøla (Crap Mud), Mærrafitta (Mare/Bitch oval office), Kjerringskrevet (roughly Bitch Crotch), Rævva hass Bjønn (the Bear's rear end), Fittentrillersletta (oval office Roller's Plain) and a whole bunch of others, some a bit harder to translate and many using the common Norwegian place name suffix -rud, roughly meaning går, but in eastern Norwegian it's also somewhat similar to "du" ("you") if it comes after a verb, so you have a stuff like Daskerud, Dritarrud ("are you spanking/slapping?" "are you making GBS threads?") and stuff like that.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1ckT7s6JiRx5VTTis8CUAyWFKgxc&hl=no

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Croatian locals used to mess around with Habsburg surveyors, so we now have islands named Kurba mala and Kurba vela (Lesser and Greater Whore), Piškera (Vagina Island) and Babina guzica (Grandma's Butt).

Take the plunge! Okay! fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 22, 2016

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

mcustic posted:

Croatian locals used to mess around with Hapsburg surveyors, so we now have islands named Kurba mala and Kurba vela (Lesser and Greater Whore), Piškera (Vagina Island) and Babina guzica (Grandma's Butt).

They tend to say that about the weird placenames in Finnish Lapland too, that they were just jokes played on surveyors, but I also read a thing where some linguist explained how rude names are just a way of signifying "this place isn't worth going through". Stay the gently caress away from Cuntswamp. Hairy Arse Mountain is a pain to climb. There's nae fish in poo poo Lake.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Miccosukee is pronounced (perhaps unsurprisingly) "soo-kee", so I want to believe Florida has done better than that.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Ras Het posted:

They tend to say that about the weird placenames in Finnish Lapland too, that they were just jokes played on surveyors, but I also read a thing where some linguist explained how rude names are just a way of signifying "this place isn't worth going through". Stay the gently caress away from Cuntswamp. Hairy Arse Mountain is a pain to climb. There's nae fish in poo poo Lake.

I'd go to Vagina Island :confused:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

mcustic posted:

I'd go to Vagina Island :confused:

Your mum needs a bigger pool

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm all the place names in Finland recorded as beginning with Villu because of prudish surveyors.

e: I wonder if there actually are anyvillu actually meant something or if it's just a nice rustic myth.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 22, 2016

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Redczar posted:

Bad maps best maps

e: originally phone posted. timg now

#mapswithnewzeelandbutnotjapan

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ras Het posted:

Weird. In English we're more to the point like with the Badwater Basin in Death Valley or the Great Dismal Swamp.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Spanish names:

Oceano Pacifico, Florida, Tejas, Puerto Rico, Ecuador, .. these are good things names. The best names.
California ... name taken from a fantasi/sci story*, but check out. Amazonia... name taken from a fantasy/sci story*, is cool. I guest the other option would have been calling the region Valkiriania. Names from sci-fi stories are somewhat cheesy, but can be cool.
Names like San Francisco or Los Angeles are religious themed, but are tolerable.

Coahuila de Zaragoza... uh...

Edit:
*Apparently, in 1490 it was popular to read cheese fantasy stories, with dragons, heroes, fantasy countries, magic, princess, .... So they had these "pop culture" reference names in their head when naming things in the americas. Naming "amazonia" after the amazons, is somewhat like using a Harry Potter name for a new habitable planet... Planet Valdemort, with the valdemortians.

Tei fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 22, 2016

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Why not just have a list at this point?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

This ain't the lists thread, this is the maps thread.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

We need a maps map, a map with all the locations of all maps.

tough stains
May 23, 2007

Desire gets the upper hand over insight and foresight and the results are often needless entanglement.
Politically loaded, cocked and fired

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
And how many people has AT&T shot and killed since Ferguson?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Tei posted:

California ... name taken from a fantasi/sci story*
Specifically a story about a magical land populated solely by hot black women.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Why not just have a list at this point?

if you think about it, maps are just oddly shaped lists

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

if you think about it, maps are just oddly shaped lists

1) Dude
2) Cockroach fart diarrhoea
4) Crone face
5) Treason?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Those are boats, Johnny!

eta: "bum-boats," apparently.

eta2: OH GOD FRANCE'S MOUTH IS OPEN

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm the Somerset that got replaced by HampshireHnmpshirp for some reason.

I'm glad that actual Hampshire is represented by a making GBS threads butthole though. There's probably a town around there called making GBS threads Butthole too.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

1) Dude
2) Cockroach fart diarrhoea
4) Crone face
5) Treason?

This the same cartoonist who did TREASON?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Titus Sardonicus posted:

This the same cartoonist who did TREASON?
I don't know if it is or not, but farting has a long history in political cartoons. A while back I found a woodcut of Martin Luther farting in the Pope's face.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Lord Hydronium posted:

I don't know if it is or not, but farting has a long history in political cartoons. A while back I found a woodcut of Martin Luther farting in the Pope's face.

I think that's just a German thing.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Lord Hydronium posted:

The style, especially the lettering, just looks very familiar. But that might have been pretty common too. Classy poo poo though.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Nah, I don't think they're by the same artist. The Johnny Treason one is by a R. Newton while that one's by H. Humphrey. The main caricature is named Bull in both though.

For reference.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Honj Steak posted:

And how many people has AT&T shot and killed since Ferguson?

Probably only twenty or thirty.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Jaramin posted:

Nah, I don't think they're by the same artist. The Johnny Treason one is by a R. Newton while that one's by H. Humphrey. The main caricature is named Bull in both though.

For reference.

Welp, my memory failed me. Oh well.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

John Bull is the anthropomorphic personification of the British empire. A bit like Uncle Sam but fatter and a bit of bumpkin.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

John Bull is DTF? Is that what the painter is trying to get across?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The English truly are turds arriving in France.

A Good Map