Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Decus posted:

If I'm reading that thread correctly the argument is that he locks in core stall-break pokemon who can't function if they slot roar and are so hyper-specialized that they also can't slot a move to OHKO Dugtrio?

And the problem is thus Dugtrio instead of how the current stallbreak teams are built!

Smogon can be very dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I love Totodile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4QdgNnxSso

e: I also really love Sandile \ Krokorok \ Krookodile. I think I just like gators. Gators are cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZwhNFOn4ik

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 23, 2016

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Gardevoir really looks like she should be Grass\Psychic-type but isn't.

The whole family had always reminded me of ginkgo leaves for some reason. But at least it isn't alone among fairy types that greatly resemble plants.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

Gardevoir really looks like she should be Grass\Psychic-type but isn't.

I don't see it

now, flabebe should absolutely be grass/fairy. it has a flower and then evolves into the goddamn flower, what the hell

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Gameplay-wise, it makes sense that the Flabebe family aren't grass as they're literally everyone's first introduction to fairy types in general.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

your first introduction to the grass type in the entire series was grass/poison, your first introduction to the flying type is never pure flying, etc

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I really like alligators \ crocodiles and turtles in general, so I tend to gravitate towards them I think. They're super cool animals.

For an animal with a brain the size of a golf ball, gators are way, way smarter than you would expect. They are literally able to learn words and do things on command, have been observed engaging in play, and are caring parents, things that are all almost unheard of in reptiles. They are also more closely related to birds and dinosaurs than they are to any other living reptiles. And they are such a good design that they have remained relatively unchanged for over 200 million years. It's very possible that they were among the very first animals to ever care for their young, so a crocodile might be the original mommy.

There you go Pokemon thread, you may have learned something today because someone reminded me that Totodile is a thing and I like Totodile. I should be a Pokemon Prof.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Gammatron 64 posted:

I really like alligators \ crocodiles and turtles in general, so I tend to gravitate towards them I think. They're super cool animals.

For an animal with a brain the size of a golf ball, gators are way, way smarter than you would expect. They are literally able to learn words and do things on command, have been observed engaging in play, and are caring parents, things that are all almost unheard of in reptiles. They are also more closely related to birds and dinosaurs than they are to any other living reptiles. And they are such a good design that they have remained relatively unchanged for over 200 million years. It's very possible that they were among the very first animals to ever care for their young, so a crocodile might be the original mommy.

There you go Pokemon thread, you may have learned something today because someone reminded me that Totodile is a thing and I like Totodile. I should be a Pokemon Prof.

Thanks 4 the facts

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't see it

now, flabebe should absolutely be grass/fairy. it has a flower and then evolves into the goddamn flower, what the hell

And it's a shame because Grass/Fairy would have been an amazing typing for it.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Decus posted:

If I'm reading that thread correctly the argument is that he locks in core stall-break pokemon who can't function if they slot roar and are so hyper-specialized that they also can't slot a move to OHKO Dugtrio?

And the problem is thus Dugtrio instead of how the current stallbreak teams are built!

If I recall, when they were initially banning shadow tag, they were hemming and hawing about whether the problem was shadow tag or Mega Sableeye combined with Shadow Tag. Now that this suspect has come up it seems that they really don't want to play against one of the pokemon who is one of the cornerstones of most stall teams.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also invented the Crocodile Rock, the very first dance ever known to man.

pretty hosed up elton john stole it for a song

Hadooooken
Sep 6, 2004

HMS Beagle posted:

Genesect is coming in between Keldeo and Meloetta if you can get yourself to a gamestop.

I don't live in the US, but serebii lists it as "Pokémon 20th Anniversary Serial Code" for november which probably means it'll hit a gamestop or something around here then.

Hadooooken fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 23, 2016

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

your first introduction to the grass type in the entire series was grass/poison, your first introduction to the flying type is never pure flying, etc

I don't know why normal/flying is even a thing. Why can't pidgey/spearow etc. just be plain flying type? I can see using normal/flying for things like Doduo (cause it doesn't seem to do much flying) and Togetic/Togekiss (before they introduction of fairy type since it evolved from a pure normal type) but other than that I don't see why they insist on making them all dual type.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, unlike the overdesigned reptiles that came later. I mean look at this thing! I hope whoever designed it was fired.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Geostomp posted:

I can only imagine the reason they don't let us do that or just have on-the-go Box access is because they want to keep the whole feel of long areas being endurance tests. That and it'd basically be the same as instant full party heals. It's still annoying that you can't check on something you've caught until you backtrack to a Pokemon Center.

Also, you're on an island, catch a new pokemon, and send your surfer to the PC. Game over.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Gammatron 64 posted:

I may have played the original Game Boy Color games as a kid, but nostalgia be hosed, the original 8-bit versions of Gen 1 and 2 are almost unplayable now and I think X\Y and OR\AS are the best games in the whole series. Yes, I just said a game set in Hoenn, that region with all the water, is the best game in the series. And I never even played RSE on the GBA so it's not rose colored glasses talking here, either.

The Hoenn games have always been the best.

quote:

I also enjoyed Gen 5, too.

I didn't think this was a controversial opinion? :confused: If it is, then anybody who thinks otherwise can fight me.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Yeah, unlike the overdesigned reptiles that came later. I mean look at this thing! I hope whoever designed it was fired.

Chameleons are also extremely fragile animals with very short lifespans, don't make for very good pets because they are hard to keep alive in captivity, and if they get too upset, they can literally die. That's right, if a Chameleon is unhappy enough, he will actually keel over dead for reals.

Needless to say, Chameleons are really, really terrible in competitive battles and can only beat the weakest of bug-types.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Silver Falcon posted:

I didn't think this was a controversial opinion? :confused: If it is, then anybody who thinks otherwise can fight me.

I got your back. Gen 5, best gen.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Chameleons are also extremely fragile animals with very short lifespans, don't make for very good pets because they are hard to keep alive in captivity, and if they get too upset, they can literally die. That's right, if a Chameleon is unhappy enough, he will actually keel over dead for reals.

Needless to say, Chameleons are really, really terrible in competitive battles and can only beat the weakest of bug-types.

They can use Skill Swap to give a doubles or triples partner Protean, on the other hand.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

PSWII60 posted:

Hell yeah it is.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Gammatron 64 posted:

loving seriously, dude. The only reason why we tolerated RBY and GSC is because they were all we had and we didn't know any better.

Like, I downloaded Yellow on the 3DS VC and gently caress, dude. Trying to beat Brock when you started with a Pikachu? Not fun, dude. Especially considering that you pretty much have to grind with a Nidoran for 10 levels to get a fighting move to use against him. A part of me briefly considered ponying up another $10 just to get Red or Blue so I can pick Bulbasaur or Squirtle to start with, but then I remembered that I have Leaf Green and I should just dig out my old GBA and play that instead.

I always used to level up a butterfree til it learned confusion

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Silver Falcon posted:

I've enjoyed every gen, though I didn't enjoy HGSS that much because they kept too many of Gen 2's weaknesses compared to what came later. The pokewalker was sweet though and I'm still sad they haven't kept supporting it - I'm pretty sure the architecture would let them use literally the same hardware.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

PSWII60 posted:

Great gen, I still like 4 and 6 more though.

Some incredible pokemon designs and mechanical changes hampered by an 'eh' region and some really lovely design decisions. Like event TMs, the absolute nadir of event monsters with Zorua/Zoroark, lovely pokemon pacing in B/W and the idiotically high evolution levels for most Unovan mons.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 23, 2016

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I can still play RBY and GSC just fine but I am a glutton for punishment

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

PSWII60 posted:

Gen 5 definitely has the best soundtrack, BY FAR. I already really like the look of the animated sprites. And the whole storyline where Team Plasma is basically PETA is really clever and kinda meta.

It isn't perfect, though. Since it had entirely new Pokemon, some of the designs are real duds (those stupid genies and ice cream cones) although there's plenty of good ones too (Tepig line, Sandile line, Sawk\Throh, Scrafty, Axew, Golett, Hydreigon.) Also some of the Pokemon evolve at stupidly high levels like Volcanion and Hydreigon and that's just poop.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Gen 7 is looking very strong though. Also I think I might be a gen one baby because I do love a lot of the originals. Primape, Weezing, Electabuzz, Snorlax, Pinsir, Lapras, Dragonite, Nidoking, Poliwrath, Alakazam, Slowbro, Hitmonlee, Kingler, Cloyster, Strarmie, Kabutops, Lickitung, Exeggutor, Tentacruel, so many good pokemon in gen one that are often ignored during "voltorb is just a ball!" arguments.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

Gen 5 definitely has the best soundtrack, BY FAR. I already really like the look of the animated sprites. And the whole storyline where Team Plasma is basically PETA is really clever and kinda meta.

It isn't perfect, though. Since it had entirely new Pokemon, some of the designs are real duds (those stupid genies and ice cream cones) although there's plenty of good ones too (Tepig line, Sandile line, Sawk\Throh, Scrafty, Axew, Golett, Hydreigon.) Also some of the Pokemon evolve at stupidly high levels like Volcanion and Hydreigon and that's just poop.

you mean volcarona, volcanion is a gen 6 event legendary

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Keiya posted:

Also, you're on an island, catch a new pokemon, and send your surfer to the PC. Game over.
There's literally a check for this at the Move Deleter.

...in Emerald.

It was a solved problem ten years ago.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There's literally a check for this at the Move Deleter.

...in Emerald.

It was a solved problem ten years ago.

Or you could give them a way to fly like the Lati@s flute in X/Y. That way they can't get stuck.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Or maybe, idk, what if, like, you remove HMs from the game? and instead there's some fantastic new method in which you are given Pokemon to use HM-like moves to expand your movement, that way you'll always have them with you as you unlock them but they won't be a part of your team. Heck, by doing it that way you also limit the amount of pokemon that can actually surf or fly in the overworld, which means you can even give expanded custom animations for them instead of a few animations to select pokemon and generic blobs of darkness for the rest. Oh but such a wondrous thing would never happen.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Space T Rex posted:

Gen 7 is looking very strong though. Also I think I might be a gen one baby because I do love a lot of the originals. Primape, Weezing, Electabuzz, Snorlax, Pinsir, Lapras, Dragonite, Nidoking, Poliwrath, Alakazam, Slowbro, Hitmonlee, Kingler, Cloyster, Strarmie, Kabutops, Lickitung, Exeggutor, Tentacruel, so many good pokemon in gen one that are often ignored during "voltorb is just a ball!" arguments.

there are like 9 pokemon in gen 1 that are a ball or a ball with bits glued on.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Silver Falcon posted:

I didn't think [liking Gen V] was a controversial opinion? :confused: If it is, then anybody who thinks otherwise can fight me.

:hfive:

I still wish we got our Gen III remakes in Gen V so all the best stuff could be in one place, but I guess Gen V was technically still on a system with a GBA slot.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the gen 3 remakes happening in gen 5 would have been the worst and best pokemon games in the same generation

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)
So quick question. Has anyone got the newsletter with the darkrai code yet? I'm pretty sure I'm still signed up for it but I haven't received poo poo yet. Just wondering if I missed it.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...
So, I know that the release of XY feels like approximately a billion years ago to some people, but is there any chance we can fix the Friend Safari spreadsheet stuff and bring it up to speed?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Space T Rex posted:

Give them to me. Also gently caress all y'all I got a REAL FRIEND giving me a dusk stone!!

I'm glad one of your Pokemon helped you out

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Space T Rex posted:

Give them to me. Also gently caress all y'all I got a REAL FRIEND giving me a dusk stone!!

That reminds me, have they mentioned making the evolution items more plentiful or not? That artificial scarcity crap was always annoying before, especially for trade evolution items.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Geostomp posted:

That reminds me, have they mentioned making the evolution items more plentiful or not? That artificial scarcity crap was always annoying before, especially for trade evolution items.

AFAIK they haven't saidanything about it. If Super Training is back thrn getting evolution stones from ST should also be back.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Or maybe, idk, what if, like, you remove HMs from the game? and instead there's some fantastic new method in which you are given Pokemon to use HM-like moves to expand your movement, that way you'll always have them with you as you unlock them but they won't be a part of your team. Heck, by doing it that way you also limit the amount of pokemon that can actually surf or fly in the overworld, which means you can even give expanded custom animations for them instead of a few animations to select pokemon and generic blobs of darkness for the rest. Oh but such a wondrous thing would never happen.
I still don't get how this system is going to work but I am glad they finally ditched the conventional HM system so I can't complain.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
But Surf is a good move :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Kikas posted:

But Surf is a good move :saddowns:

Then it and the others can all be TMs you have the option to use at will rather than requirements for progression now. HMs are outdated and the game finally recognizes that.